Honda HRX217

• Fuel Efficiency
Don.B
Don.BGold Coast

21" of of cutting power

I have owned a lot of mowers in my time and as a lawn contractor by trade, I cannot go past the honda series. the 21" makes quick work of even the toughest lawns and doesn't skip a beat. I have tweaked the revs up to 3500 for a little more grunt to cut through the thick stuff as at factory it is set in the low 3000's which slows productivity. Overall these models are hard to beat and not many competitors come close

Date PurchasedJuly 2017
Tom
Tom

Very good

Very happy with this purchase. Feels solid. Love the fact that you don’t have to mix oil with petro. Powerfull enough and you will appreciate the large catch baskets. It’s quite heavy as it is however it’s feels like is not very well balance a specially when full of wet gras, it has tendency to easily go out of balance meaning front up.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Find out how Honda HRX217 compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

Ames
AmesNSW

Easy to handle

I live on almost an acre block and it is a massive chore to mow the yard. I find this mower light weight and easy to start as the old one I would have to get my partner to start. Starts first go. I still hate mowing yet I enjoy using the new mower so not as much as a chore to have to mow the yard now. I love my partner for purchasing this. We sometimes argue over who gets to use it. He he.

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Fish
FishUmina

Awesome machine

I bought my hrx217 last August, It's my first honda for my business. Runs great and very light considering it's size. The only problem I have is I operate on the coast and the blades don't last long because of the sand. I asked the local dealer and they told me you can't get a conversion kit to use swing back blades.... so I made my own have been using it for about 2 weeks. The mower is even better now

Date PurchasedAug 2016
mark
markwollongong

some doubts

This is a good mower for suburban lawns.
My problem arises because I ventured out from the lawn. This mower is designed for US conditions: rich soil, high rainfall, tall grass not so many rocks. Australia is not so kind. I've hit a rock and bent the crank shaft. Honda will not replace the engine in Australia, so this $1500 investment is now useless.Poor after sales service from Honda in this country.
not happy.
Mark

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Fantastic mower

Best mower I have ever had. It's an amazing machine. Starts first time every time and it's fairly easy to manuvore. The engine is huge with plenty of grunt. I would highly recommend this machine to anyone from weekend mower to contractor. The gearbox on these things are also fantastic.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
James
JamesGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Absolutely fantastic!!

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Ken P
Ken PLaunceston, TAS

A quality mower, but not for everyone

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda HRX217 compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

JT
JTNewcastle, New South Wales

Top of the line

I own two of these for a lawn maintenance business. The nexite body definitely lives up to it's reputation. The cutting width makes quick work of even larger size jobs, and the inbuilt mulcher makes it easy to change on the spot. The variable speed control works a treat, as does the blade brake. If you want a top-quality mower, this is it! The ones I have are currently 1 year old and have cut hundreds of lawns. No mechanical issues as yet, just general maintenance. Beautiful machine.

Honda
James H.Honda

Thanks for the review JT. It is great to hear that your HRX217HYU is perfect for your lawn maintenance business.
-Sarah

Bobby Mac
Bobby MacSouth East Queensland, QLD

The best is worth it

For anyone looking for a self propelled mower you simply won't find better than this. It is so flexible In regard to speed, cutting modes (rear discharge, bag or mulch, or combinations of these) with plenty of power. This enables the user to find a mowing mode that suits exactly the type of lawn, terrain and physical ability of the operator. These modes can be easily changed on the go as conditions change. A truly magnificent, safe machine with legendary Honda reliability. It may cost a little more than some others, but it is worth it.

Honda
James H.Honda

Thanks for the review Bobby Mac, it it great to hear that this mower has exceeded your expectations. -Sarah

ciaman22
ciaman22AU

This mower makes the job of mowing on steep ground easy!

JETasked
HRX217

Has anyone found a practical solution to adjusting the height on the rear wheels? I am constantly struggling with this, not to mention the poor skin on my knuckles would appreciate it. Ive tried lifting the mower which sometimes helps a bit but not always. Seems like a design defect to me?

Ray
Ray

I found it easier to put a brick under each corner and take the weight off the wheels to adjust the height then when I got it right just take it off the bricks. Its a bit like the clutch. It was a nuisance holding it all the time so I use piece of velcro tape . A couple of wraps and the clutch is on and just leave a tab up to unwind it quickly if you want.

Gregasked
HRX217

can not move lever across from bag to mulch what causes this. Greg

JET

Greg, I suspect there is lawn caught in the bag-to-mulch sliders. Have a look from underneath and clear grass caught between 2 black plastic sliding panels.

Greg

yep that was the problem not just grass but mud as well , now that has been cleaned out. bought this mower second hand, wow what a mower would recommend to any body looking for a top mower thanks honda.

Peter B.
Peter B.asked
HRX217

Can you pull the mower backwards

Ian
Ian

Hi
You can pull the mower backwards but remember it’s designed for self propelling and therefore is a bit heavy to pull backwards on a regular basis

Hari
Hari

Hi,
Yes. It’s easily pulled backwards. It won’t propel backwards. Nothing to change, just pull back. I’m not a big person but I pull it back easy.

bushmagpie
bushmagpie

You can but it's slightly heavier than a mower that isn't self propelled.

Honda HRX217

No reviews yet
Honda HRX217HYA
  • Discontinued

Honda HRX217HYA

CategoryPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn Mowers
Price (RRP) $1,529.00$1,329.00$699.00$829.00
Power SourcePetrolPetrolPetrol
FeaturesBlade Brake and Quick-Start MotorBlade Brake and Mulching CapabilityBlade Brake and Mulching Capability
Catcher Type CollapsibleCollapsibleCollapsible
Catcher Capacity88 L88 L
Cutting Deck MaterialPlasticAluminium AlloyAluminium Alloy
Cutting Width533 mm533 mm508 mm
Height of Cut19 mm to 100 mm19 mm to 100 mm95 mm to 102 mm
Number of Blades222
Weight46.1 kg43.6 kg45 kg
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)3 year(s)5 year(s)
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV190 OHV/OHCHonda GCV200 OHV/OHCHonda GCV200
Engine TypeOHC (Overhead Cam) and OHV (Overhead Valve)OHC (Overhead Cam) and OHV (Overhead Valve)
BrandHondaHondaHonda