Honda HUT216

• Fuel Efficiency
mccartm1

mccartm1Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great engine. Shame about the wheels. And axles

Was advised when I bought my HUT 216 that it was ideal for large blocks (~3 acres to mow) and good on hills (the whole property is one big hill). Fantastic engine - very happy with its capabilities. But the wheels! Oh, the wheels.

Front wheels/axle fell off in the second year of ownership. When I went to collect the "repaired" mower the rear axle broke. Both axles repaired under warranty.

Last year the rear wheels fell off again.

I've given up. I'll probably go Stihl electric this summer.

Purchased in January 2006 for A$1,000.00.

Noise Level
Safety
Wet / Damp Grass Performance
Fuel Efficiency
Product is used Occasionally

Wheel problems

As with others my mother had had the same problem. The mower is unreliable. Wheels were fixed under warranty. One fell off the other week and was fixed, now another has gone. This was purchased to be a heavy duty mower but the chasis is of very poor quality. Useless to have a mower where wheels fall off when you are trying to use it.

Date PurchasedAug 2013

Poor chassis

Several times broken axle and wheels fall off/come loose. Best fix was to weld. Engine good. Perhaps Honda should stick with making engines only in this area and use a better chassis supplier.. Minor problem is handles too short for Aussie market - I am over 6ft and stoop when mowing.

Date PurchasedMar 2014
Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda HUT216 compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

Weak axles and framework.

Have to agree with other posters. Same problem with axle breaking and wheels falling off. Not the first time either. Good engine but frame and chassis is crapola. Not an easy job to fix myself either.

What a load of crap!!!

I have to agree... With sentiments it's spent more time at the workshop then we have mowed....we were told when we were looking for a reliable heavy duty mower it was the best one for our requirements....the axles kept breaking ... Wheels falling off!!! The engine is great... Just a big lemon to the designer of the chassis!!!! Wouldn't recommend honda to anyone!!!

Honda are a joke

Never got the Honda HUT216 axle to work with a snorkel and now the axle has broken. It's spent more time in their workshop than I have had it - and only for domestic use. The positive reviews must be by Honda employees.

andrew24806

andrew24806Victoria, 3777

Bad

Although the engine is great (I own two other mowers with the same engine) the chassis seems too unreliable. It obviously has a design fault that Honda or its service people won't or can't fix.
GXV160 engine is great. Cuts long grass well.
I have owned this mower for about 18 months. It was back to the shop twice under warranty for rear axle collapses and it has just happened again (out of warranty)

I've owned this mower for approx 2 years and haven't had a single problem with it. I purchased it after previously owing a honda brushcutter that has also proven to be reliable & trouble free. I utilise this mower to cut approx 3/4 acre and it has little difficulty in cutting, even a idle. Small sticks / branches & rocks provide no barrier to its effectiveness. Whilst i wouldn't recommend this mower to a female user (due to its heaviness) i fully endorse this mower and would highly recommend it to those in a more rural / large block setting.
Easy to start. Runs on standard unleaded. Mows just about anything.
May become too heavy for a female user after extended use

10 out of 10 i have been wanting to get one of these mowers for a long time and now that i have got one i know i won't look back as i have worked for mower cotracters useing honda's i know how reliable they are and they start first time ever time.
hi purchashed my hut216 at a second hand store for $240 dollares and was surprised to find out it is this years model 09 and it retails for over $900 hundred dollars so you don't have to tell me i got a bargain it still looks like new. new blades cost me less than $12 dollars as my new mower has only two blades i have found out that there is a four blade cutting plate available but even with the two blades it cuts very well.
i have no dislikes it is a very easy mower to use

Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda HUT216 compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

I have mowed four foot high bracken, razor grass and spinifex with this unit. A PTO slasher would do the job this thing did. It just goes, when it runs out of petrol you just fill it up and start it again. Worth every cent I payed for it, brand new.
Starts first time everytime no-matter how stuffed your shoulders are. Very serviceable unit.
None. The thing is bullet proof!

Honda has service problems

The HUT216 is great starts first go and is as tough as nails.
My dealer here in Vanuatu can not get me parts for it like blades and an air filter so I have had to stand it down and use a Victa with a Briggs and Stratton engine. I have to find a frame size so the dealer can order a filter but I have only the length and width measurements from the owners manual.
It works well and is and handles some of the toughest conditions imaginable.
Service in Vanuatu is non existent, the local dealer does not want to know about it.

tim g.

tim g.asked

Where should the oil level be on the dipstick when topping up?

Morlsasked

Can the rear wheels be welded to the axle successfully and still have height adjustment on the Honda hut 216? I've had lots of trouble with wheels falling off getting sick of getting replacement axle assembly parts the chassis on this model is cheap and nasty very ordinary for 950 bucks

David
David

The axle on my mower parted company from the front wheel arm. ie front wheel hub connects to short arm then to axle. This is where it was welded. Not sure how to upload photo. Looking at rear wheel assembly it would look like possible if same break as in mine. Took to local engineering firm who did good job.

Thank

Stephen84

Stephen84asked

Handle is broken on both sides at first fixing bolt on horizontal section / Handle is Very light weight material
I am After replacement new or second hand Handle
Diappointed in not being more robust

Yes you have found the weakness, but I had to give it a pretty stern test to find it. In Vanuatu the workers are not trained to look after machinery. Brush cutters and pangas are more often used than mowers. We get no Honda service here. I fly spares in from USA.. In this case I took the handle off rammed a thick walled pipe into the center section and had it welded up. I then had to re-drill the bolt holes and reassemble it all, no small job. That's my only fault so far and the machine will be 8 years old in February.