Honda UMS425U

Honda UMS425U

See the Best Petrol Whipper Snippers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

• Grass Type
    • Thick, heavy grass or weeds (1)
  • Incentivised Review Yes (0%) · No (100%)
  • Product is used:
    • Weekly (1)
  • Safety

Disappointed in

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Dave

DaveSydney Surrounds, NSW

A really good trimmer ruined by the bump head

This is a really reliable trimmer from the 4 stroke, easy start motor to the shaft, right up until you get to that horrible bump head. I've never had a single bump head trimmer that feeds the trimmer cord reliably. I told the salesperson that when I bought it and they assured me this one was reliable...nup! It started out OK but after 3 months it was more petulant about feeding the line and the last time I used it it fed the line out too fast and continuously (no - I didn't wind it incorrectly!)
Shame really. It makes an otherwise well designed and reliable unit really frustrating to use.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Noise Level
Safety
Product is used: Weekly
Grass Type Thick, heavy grass or weeds

No diagram or instruction in owners manual

The most common action needed by an owner is to change the line, why there is no detail of this in the manual is beyond belief.Where does Honda have this detail that can be downloaded or where can I contact someone to post the information which should have have been in the manual in the first place?

DAZWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Still running great.

Have had this whipper snipper for many years now and great. Only ever had one issue where for some reason after half hour use loses power and stops on and off. Took to local dealer for full service and never happened again. Also have an HRU19R mower and same thing except never an issue. I'm not too crash hot on newer mowers though too much going on with safety, etc. Think the HRU19R was the last of the basic cut my grass no problem mowers. Why change so much Honda.

honest feedback

honest feedbackQueensland

Perfect

Bought this 2 years ago, never had 1 problem at all. Starts 1st time every time, easy to use, not as light as a 2 stroke, but still light and easily maneuvered. I give this trimmer a hiding, and it still comes back for more.

Great work Honda, thank you, and no, I do not work for Honda, just a very happy customer.

James H.Honda

Thanks honest feeback. It's always great to hear this. We are sure it will be in for more punishment with spring well under-way!
Many thanks,
Sarah

Great Tool, thanks to tdphilips

Inherited the UMS425 with the house we just bought and had the same problem with the engine cutting out after 10-20min. I could not believe it as I think that Honda makes the most reliable small 4 stroke engines so I searched in the internet and thanks to the tip with the fuel line from @tdphilips this problem is solved and the machine runs full power and without problems for hours!

James H.Honda

Hi Dyrathor, Great to hear positive outcomes.

rp85

rp85Willoughby

No Regret

Bought this product for almost 5 years ago for just over $400 and it is still going well. We owned a 2 stroke and it was such a hassle to refuel. It is also recommended to use freshly mixed fuel every time. Then one needs to get the correct oil petrol ratio or it won't be easy to start. Now just refuel & start.
It comes with a tap-n-go trimmer head so what used to take 5 mins to lengthen the line, now it only takes a few seconds.
The only down side is the trimmer head is plastic so I need to be careful when tap-n-go.

James H.Honda

Hi rp85, great to hear that the UMS425U is making you gardening a breeze.

Never had a problem

Don't know what everyone is going on about. I got my Honda ums425u for a birthday present. Its never let me down. I Guess the one pull start is annoying but no more than 3 pulls to start when cold. when warm it always starts first pull. Not having to mix fuel is great to. I love this piece of equipment and never want anything else.

James H.Honda

Thanks for the review lou.

kbex

kbexSYDNEY

Pile of unreliable junk

Bought this snipper too replace a 2 stroke cheapie that was hard to start, I thought I would spend more in the hope of getting more quality and reliabilty, so I stumped up 3 times the price of a Bunnings cheapie and bought a 4 stroke Honda.
From the second time I used it it started to cut out after only a couple of minutes running, it would start again and just do the same thing.
I see from forums that others have had similar problems, very disappointed.

Dead after 12 months, used only 5-6 times

Was recommended to buy this from the good folk at Charmhaven Mower & Trimmers, paid $300 for it based on the fact that I was sick of mixing oil/fuel in my old 2 stroke Ryobi. It worked ok about 5 times but would seem to just cut out after about 10 mins of use. Then wasn't needed for about 3 months due to the cooler weather. Started her up on Saturday, went solidly for about 20 mins then just stopped mid way through doing the edges and now will not tick over at all. Guys at the store took a look at it and are mystified. Has had to be sent away apparently for assessment. I've never had a problem with a garden product before but then not used Honda before either so unimpressed thus far.

James H.Honda

When running, legend unit.

Stalls when revving up. Cant run at high revs. Done carby kit, plug, fuel lines, primer, fuel filter in fuel tank. Blew out breather in cap after soaking in fuel. Checked timing. Running out of ideas. Please help mr honda. I changed the line head to an alloy one with the pre cut line. Great unit when running but it just bogs down & stalls, need 2 reprime 2 to start. That doesnt always work. darrenmowll@gmail.com
Great unit when running write
Stalling then hard to start

rbacon705

rbacon705Green Point, NSW

Bad

I have had my Honda for about a year now, thought it would be a good idea being a Honda but it was terrible. It always lacks in power, I could understand the lack of power if it was something like a 18-20cc engine but a 25cc, I have a 25cc Ryobi and it has a lot more power. Also the "First Time Every Time" starting is rubbish, it takes 3-4 pulls cold and 2-3 pulls warm.
4stroke
expensive, lacks in power

mark delmegePerth, WA

great machine

I'm a 20 year self employed gardener and use my whipper most days. This is a good quality dependable machine. Change the oil and thats about it - apart from the bump head - this for me is the only negative.

I do a lot of close in hard surface work and they don't last long without a DIY reinforcement - which involves adding a metal surface to the working end of the bump head.

I'd buy a reinforced part if one was available however as it is the (whole $40 plus) head needs to be replaced when the bump is worn.
dependable
bump head

James H.Honda

Thanks for the review mark delmege, great to hear your feedback! - Sarah

mark delmege

Thanks Sarah. Even the bump heads are now better and cheaper.

Albinus

Albinus

Not too bad, with some flaws

Thought would be better

I bought a new honda um425u about nine months ago, thought it would be trouble free for four or five years, got sick of mixing two stroke. started first time in the shop (cityedge mower and chainsaw centre bay road cheltenham), but that has been the only time, shop owner said all i had to do was pump the plastic bubble and pull, Ha Ha,

didn't come with a strap, owners manual or common fault fix guide.

find it very difficult to start, at present i have oil in the air filter compartment,(how does this happen) will only start if choke fully closed, when i try to rev up konks out. "" not happy Jan"" specially for an as new machine

Pricy, unreliable, no accessories or manual, unbalanced

MaxG