Honda UMS425/U

2.4mm

Graham

Grahamasked

UMS425U

I would like to fit a speed feed spool. Which one is recommended for this model?

Paul H
Paul H

I just bought a Honda speed feed from Mowers Galore.

greg jobling

greg joblingasked

can I convert this from a bent shaft to fit a straight shaft ?????

Emanandlasked

UMS425 Bent Shaft

My UMS425 will not idle. It runs fine but as soon as I let off the throttle it stops. Have pulled apart the air filter body from the carby in case the O ring seal had cracked or deteriorated but was fine. Getting new spark plug to try but an outside chance it is that. I use 95 grade petrol. Have replaced fuel lines and filter. Adjusted the throttle to correct free play but still stops. Only if I adjust throttle so no free play adn at higher revs will it not stop. Any ideas!

Craig
Craig

The needle on the rotary valve of the carburetor needs to be adjusted, most likely out (anticlockwise) as it seems like it may be running lean on idle. This often happens when the internal carby parts harden from E10 fuel, or it is an older machine. Later model machines require a specialised tool to do the adjustment, most mower shops toss the carby and fit a new one as adjusting correctly is a specialised skill.

Emanandl

Thanks Craig, I was thinking of replacing the carby. Quite cheap on EBay but gave it one last go as I was getting annoyed with the grassy edges. I readjusted the throttle cable ignoring the 1~3mm idle free-play and low and behold it started idling. I added about 10% Metho to the tank to deal with the methanol residue and so far so good and will continue doing this for a while. If this occurs again a new carby is on the cards. Cheers

Cush I.

Cush I.asked

How do you replace the cutting cord et

May P.

May P.asked

UMS425 Bent Shaft

what is the difference between UMS425 and UMS425U models? Can't seem to find answers online.

Peter F.

Peter F.asked

UMS425U

Why does my line keep rolling back onto the spool when I reload it

Andrew C.

Andrew C.asked

What size cord for hoda trimmer UMK-425

McJ

McJasked

UMS425 Bent Shaft

The line is automatically releasing from the spool & winding itself around the outside of the cutting head. I have tried rewinding but does not help. The cutting head is the original that came with the trimmer. This happens with both the 3mm twist line & the 2.4mm round line. Both these lines worked well previously.

Anthony T.

M8.

lyndam68

lyndam68asked

UMS425U

Cord keeps coming out, gets longer until it wraps around and caught up any explanations?

Peter B.

Peter B.asked

starter string is stuck. I can't pul on it to start my UMS425U

tom

tomasked

UMS425U

The head fell off when I bumped it for extra line. after replacing it does not rotate now?

Larry g
Larry g

Yes I had the same problem mine fell off and rolled down the street. I went to Bunnings and bought a universal head that has three fixed pieces of line that you replace when they wear out. The Honda heads are worthless and had I known how bad they were I would not have bought it in the first place.

Rab

Rabasked

Can i replace cut off knife on my honda line trimmer ums425u?

Bert

Bertasked

Can I use this trimmer to clear underwater plants? UMK425E model.

rp85asked

UMS425U

Have had my UMS425U serviced some months ago as it would not start. It tested OK as I picked up from the repairer. But now it just stops and won't start after about about a few minutes run, no matter what. It starts and runs OK again after the engine cools down abit (about 10 mins), until the next few minutes. I had it serviced at beginning of autumn so had not been using much. Now it's passed the 3 month repair warranty (lesson learned here)

Took to another repairer (somehow I did not trust the first one) and was advised to buy a new one as it's not worth getting another service as a new UMS425U is now only $299. Last service costed $160.

I have been thinking before I rush to get a new one - what if there is a cheaper solution because the machine still works fine. I googled and some suggest to replace the petrol cap as it needs to let air into the tank. A cap is $30 (incl postage)

Anyone had same issue can share your experience? Or know a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Mistr P.
Mistr P.

Replace the carburetor , the pump fails, you can buy it online pretty cheap

Stuart

Stuartasked

Straight shaft umk425u trimmer won’t start after it’s hot have to rest it about 40 minutes then everything is ok. Any suggestions of what the trouble is?

DebDeb
DebDeb

I haven't had any problems with mine overheating but I never use it for that long. 40 minutes is a pretty long time for continued use without a break. Have you rung the shop you bought it from?

rp85

Hi Stuart, did you happen to solve your problem? I am having same issue, although it did not need 40 mins to cool down but yes, it's very frustrating.

Greg

Gregasked

Greetings,
I have bought a UMS425 bent shaft brush cutter and as it is a 4 stroke I would like to know if it can be used side ways or upside down to trim lawn edges? Thank you Greg.

Juz
Juz

Your best bet would be to ask Honda themselves.
I have used mine at many different angels from flat right up to 90 degree and it was fine.

steve
steve

Hi Greg,
Yeah, I have had no problems using at any angle including upside down and 90deg doing edge trimming. If the fuel level is low in the tank, the fuel pick-up(even though it is on a flexible hose) might not sometimes be immersed in fuel and that would be the only time I could see you having a problem. The carbys in these small engines don't rely on a float in a bowl arrangement and hence will work at any angle.
These engines only hold a small amount of engine oil(less than 100ml) that is getting splashed around everywhere and don't have a sump that can dump a whole lot of oil on the underside of the piston if inverted.

joanne

joanneasked

UMS425 Bent Shaft

where can i buy a speed feed trimmer head for my honda?

Dave
Dave

I purchased a new Speed Feed head from my Honda supplier (Parsons in NSW), 72560-UMS-OW4, which works really well (didn't have a chance to test it until now). You can feed the new line in without taking it apart and it bump feeds the line really reliably. Only around $40, pretty much the same as the non Honda heads.

Get an answer from our members and Honda representatives