Honda VFR800

Honda VFR800

See the Best Sport Touring Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

vfr 800 2015 model

Massive VFR fan still got a 88 model and 94 model both 750 tried a few more manufacture's in the sport tourer category still come back to the Honda bought a 2015 model 800 can't not fault it the perfect all round motorcycle build quality is top notch. Having 3 VFRs in my garage and ridden every model the latest model is in my opinion the best one it's a gentleman's sport bike does everything perfect and will last a long time an excellent all round motorcycle.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

LindsWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

An absolute classic

I have a 2014 VFR 800F that I have had since new and while I usually use it for recreational purposes it really is the best bike I have ever had (I have had bikes since 1972). Extremely good build quality and very smooth to ride it still has plenty of power with great handling it really is a pleasure just cruising. The only thing lacking is a 12v accessory port. Fuel economy is good and I only use 95 RON unleaded fuel though you can use 91 RON unleaded but not any with ethanol. Probably not a boy racer bike but a true sports tourer that will please capable riders.

Date PurchasedAug 2014

SharmaMelbourne

Great bike, super comfy vfr800f 2017

I had the vfr800f 2017 model from july’17 pretty happy with it. Paid little over 14k ride away in Victoria.
Ticked all boxes for me, super comfy to ride, heated grips, center stand, comfy pillion seating.

Only con can think of is riding in winding situation, I personally tend to little balance, can’t fully control. I may need to brush up my skill in this situation.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

RocketmanHamilton

VFR800i Fifth generation 1998 model

Date PurchasedJun 2017

audiblePerth, WA

A highly versatile motorcycle.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Jeff3

Jeff3

A great all-round bike for sports, touring, commuting

It truly is a great all-round bike that has earned a very good reliability rating and trouble free motoring. The VFR will rack up over 200,000 klms if they are serviced well. My only criticism is power delivery. I think lower end torque has been sacrificed for high levels of top end power. I'd prefer it if it was more balanced torque / power delivery.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

FerrisBuellerPerth

Perfect Bike.

Two months ago I became the owner of a 2013 Sixth Gen VFR800 (Stormtrooper White/Black) with 9,000 km on the clock. Having owned many bikes over the last 24 years from Suzuki, Ducati and Harley Davidson I'm finally at the point where I've got a perfect bike - the engineering of the bike, the overall performance of the engine, excellent handling, comfortable riding position and predictability is second to none. I'm looking forward to many more years of ownership.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

mikemini1977

mikemini1977Sydney, NSW

5th generation perfection

Having owned 4 Honda vfr800fi's over the years i can happily say that this bike epitomises when honda built precision and high quality bikes. Currently have a 2000 vfr800fi otherwise known as the 5th generation model. It does just about everything perfectly. Yes it could do with another 30hp and 30nm of torque but it'll tour and play racer with the best all whilst providing a brilliant soundtrack from the v4 gear driven camshaft engine and the highrise staintune pipe.
Future classic i say.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Ben

BenVictoria

7 years on and I still love it

Having previously had the VFR750 and then the VFR800 I can say these are totally awesome.
I love the riding position (relatively upright) its comfy for a pillion and a great combination of sporty performance and ability to tour for hours on end.
Its amazing how I still get comments on how good the bike looks after such a long time.
I'm now ready to upgrade and will be testing the 2015 VFR800 which I hear is even smoother

Near perfect sports tourer

I purchased a new 2014 VFR800 in October, it now has approximately 8000 k on the clock and I love it. I have never ridden a bike that does everything I have ever asked of it in such an effortless way. It is very user friendly. So far it has not put a foot wrong. It performs almost as good with my wife on the back as well. Honda really nailed it with this bike.

NB

NBBrisbane

2015 VFR800

Weigth is relative

I am in the market to buy one but my local dealer will not match the interstate price. Had a test drive and YES she is good put having 3 bikes the need is lower to pay more to get one.

GrumpyPizzaChefBrisbane, Queensland

No Real Competitor

These bikes really are in a class of their own, usually when you blend two styles, you get the worse from both, but with the VFR you get the best. Its happy cruising, touring, commuting and hill trashing. Brakes are so good that the lack of abs doesn't seem to matter. A heavier bike but very stable, I'm neither tall nor particularly strong but manage it quite easily. The V4 power is addictive and the power band so wide gear changes are minimal. Buy one of these and you might not ever purchase another bike (ok maybe to update to the latest model)
Wide power band, comfortable, easy to ride, long life span
A little heavy, but not a struggle, other than that I'm haveing a hard time finding any fault

VFR800

Great bike that performs perfectly when fully loaded I.e. top box, panniers + extras. Recently rode from Alice Springs to Sydney via Adelaide & found speed, fuel range & comfort to be A1. At slow speeds or turning from standstill bike appears heavy (im not the tallest so this maybe why). Seat height is good for shorties.
Fuel range, luggage, its a Honda (reliability) speed.
Weight at slow speeds or standstill.

David_BradshawAU

Perfection as far as I'm concerned

Pacemaker

PacemakerAU

Great Bike - Heaps of Charector

firemansam87
firemansam87

I'd go buy one tonight if it had ABS!

GrumpyPizzaChef

Wouldn't worry about the lack of abs too much, try as I like I haven't been able to lock up the brakes on mine yet. Very strong breaking on these bikes, and very straight and predictable under heavy braking.

Dblk89

Dblk89asked

Does anyone know what the maximum load capacity for the VFR is ?

Linds

I am pretty sure it is 190kg with cargo being 18kg (included within the 190kg total) - this is for a VFR400F

Sharma

Accessories and loading warning label
Warning
Accessories and loading
• The safety stability and handling of this motorcycle may be
affected by the addition of accessories and luggage.
• Read carefully the instructions contained in user’s manual and
installation guide before installing any accessory.
• The total weight of accessories and luggage added to rider’s and
passenger’s weight should not exceed 190 kg (419 lb), which is
the maximum weight capacity.
• The luggage weight must not exceed 18 kg (40 lb) under any
circumstances.
• The fitting of large fork-mounted or large handlebar mounted
fairing is not recommended.

Charlie M

Charlie Masked

Could the V-Tec VFR owners advise the cost of servicing please? Minor service as well as the valve clearance major service. Love the bike, just wanted to know this before buying one.
Thanks, Charlie.

audible

I haven't had the valve clearance major service yet, but the 6 and 12 months services where $270 and $274.00.

Sharma

Same here as posted above.

Rocketman

I have heard the V tech are more expensive than the pre vech models. Best to get a quote from honda dealer.

Mark Simsasked

Evidently the VTEC engine needs a major super expensive service every 16000 km. How does it cost?

FerrisBueller

Most motorcycle engines have major services at large intervals such as the one you mention. I've not had the need to service mine yet so I cant answer specifically. With my limited knowledge of the VTEC method of moving a cam along a shaft to change the pitch of the lobes, there should be little servicing difference between this engine and say a Fireblade engine. My previous experience with Ducati desmodronic required valve clearances and belt changes at major service time especially if the valves needed shimming. These are all high performance engines for their capacity and as such will always need more care and attention than a car engine.

Rocketman

Your best to phone a Honda service outlet. They will give you an estimate of the cost of this service.

Mark Sims

Yes. It's true. I should phone a dealer. I had a blinding flash of an idea of "swapping" my vtr1000 for the V4 smoothie because of my old age - and I posted the question at a time when I was looking for some negative feedback about the V4. It's a specialised motor and I would probably have to go to a Honda dealer to get the job done and I'm just a bit allergic to those guys. Anyway, the VTEC motor gets a lot of very positive reviews right across the net. I was considering one back when I bought the VTR but they were $18K new and it was just too much. Now you can get relatively cheap ones that are a few years old and only a few k's. The only disadvantage to them appears to be their bulky weight but they appear to carry it well. I might test this one that I was looking at. Thanks for the responses.

Get an answer from our members and Honda representatives