Honda VFR800

Honda VFR800 Questions & Answers

5 questions from our users

Andrew M.asked

G'day guys,

I have a 2012 VFR800 and it is hopping at low speed (0-60kph) with revs 1-4k. It's not missing - where the revs would drop slightly, this is gaining maybe 200-300 revs. It's not constant but will do it maybe 2,3 or 4 times every minute or so, but not like clockwork, but enough to be a real problem. Very tricky around some roundabouts! I don't notice it at higher revs/speed - maybe because the difference is a smaller proportion of the actual revs??? I'm guessing really.

I thought it was water in the tank so I've run through probably three tanks now with 200ml of methylated spirits (which is basically ethanol) mixed in. The metho allows the water to mix with the petrol in smaller drop forms which are able to be burnt in the chamber. There are some good Youtubes on it. And I emptied the tank first (by lifting the front of it) to remove water as much as I could (didn't actually see any come out) and the inside looked clean. It seemed to help but the symptom (hopping) has now come back. Having diagnosed it a bit better now I would have thought water would cause it to miss (less revs), not gain revs so unlikely that was it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, anyone know of a top shelf VFR mechanic in the Northern rivers of NSW or SE Queensland (Coffs Harbour to Brisbane)?

Thanks in advance.

VFR rider
VFR rider

First off all check to c if its charging you want 14.5 volts at 5000 rpm go from there

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

The best I get is 14.33. The bike was not at full operating temperature though. I also noticed if it's any more help that when it is cold it misses rather than hops. You can see it on the rev guage. But after I've been riding for a while and then stop and let it idle, it definitely hops.

Thanks again.

Dblk89

Dblk89asked

Does anyone know what the maximum load capacity for the VFR is ?

Linds
Linds

I am pretty sure it is 190kg with cargo being 18kg (included within the 190kg total) - this is for a VFR400F

Sharma

Accessories and loading warning label
Warning
Accessories and loading
• The safety stability and handling of this motorcycle may be
affected by the addition of accessories and luggage.
• Read carefully the instructions contained in user’s manual and
installation guide before installing any accessory.
• The total weight of accessories and luggage added to rider’s and
passenger’s weight should not exceed 190 kg (419 lb), which is
the maximum weight capacity.
• The luggage weight must not exceed 18 kg (40 lb) under any
circumstances.
• The fitting of large fork-mounted or large handlebar mounted
fairing is not recommended.

Charlie M

Charlie Masked

Could the V-Tec VFR owners advise the cost of servicing please? Minor service as well as the valve clearance major service. Love the bike, just wanted to know this before buying one.
Thanks, Charlie.

audible
audible

I haven't had the valve clearance major service yet, but the 6 and 12 months services where $270 and $274.00.

Sharma

Same here as posted above.

Rocketman

I have heard the V tech are more expensive than the pre vech models. Best to get a quote from honda dealer.

Mark Simsasked

Evidently the VTEC engine needs a major super expensive service every 16000 km. How does it cost?

FerrisBueller
FerrisBueller

Most motorcycle engines have major services at large intervals such as the one you mention. I've not had the need to service mine yet so I cant answer specifically. With my limited knowledge of the VTEC method of moving a cam along a shaft to change the pitch of the lobes, there should be little servicing difference between this engine and say a Fireblade engine. My previous experience with Ducati desmodronic required valve clearances and belt changes at major service time especially if the valves needed shimming. These are all high performance engines for their capacity and as such will always need more care and attention than a car engine.

Rocketman

Your best to phone a Honda service outlet. They will give you an estimate of the cost of this service.

Mark Sims

Yes. It's true. I should phone a dealer. I had a blinding flash of an idea of "swapping" my vtr1000 for the V4 smoothie because of my old age - and I posted the question at a time when I was looking for some negative feedback about the V4. It's a specialised motor and I would probably have to go to a Honda dealer to get the job done and I'm just a bit allergic to those guys. Anyway, the VTEC motor gets a lot of very positive reviews right across the net. I was considering one back when I bought the VTR but they were $18K new and it was just too much. Now you can get relatively cheap ones that are a few years old and only a few k's. The only disadvantage to them appears to be their bulky weight but they appear to carry it well. I might test this one that I was looking at. Thanks for the responses.

marktown65asked

Has anyone stretched the legs on a 2015 model VFR800? Just curious what the top speed is on one of these?

Graeme
Graeme

Had my 2012 VFR800 over 220 before needing to slow down, but upon doing so I realised I actually had another gear to go .. so I would guess 240-255. An absolutely brilliant bike that I want to ride every day if only I could.

marktown65

Thanks Graeme, I've had my 2015 ride straight through 220, but I was running out of road so I backed out of it. 245+ would be very possible I think. And I'm no light weight....

Drew2756
Drew2756

220 in 4th - 250 in 5th - speed limited to 275 in 6th (theoretically capable of 290-300 if computer was reflashed to disable limiter) That's with Air filter Staintune exhausts and air box / flapper mods though.