Honda VFR800X

Honda VFR800X

See the Best Sport Touring Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Great bike

Version 1 2012.
Beautiful engine and gearbox, handling good for my purposes. Brakes brilliant. It’s a heavy bike but very stable and the suspension isolates from bumps.
Build quality is very good.
The seat is difficult to put back but I’m glad I bought this bike, it’s very comfortable and goes hard. Can be thrashed and enjoyed without doing insane speeds. Have to use the gearbox more than on a litre bike but with this drivetrain that’s a pleasure.
Exhaust sounds incredible after 6500 rpm.
Have added heated grips and hand guards, also 12v charger.
Came with crash bars, a necessity on this bike because of the side-mounted radiators.

Purchased in January 2015.

Noise Level
Handling
Suspension

SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Awesome acceleration and build quality, but vague suspension

Purchased in September 2014.

Noise Level

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Charlie M

Charlie Masked

Hi Tom,
Hope your still enjoying the VFR. I'm interested in the 2018 version because of the windscreen update and slight difference in where the bike is painted red but mainly the screen.
Just wondered if you are in Australia and if so what service costs have been for this bike. Although I like the Vtec I'm a little concerned about cost of ownership. Btw what is the litres/100km roughly?
Stay safe,
Charlie.

Tom C
Tom C

Hey Charlie
Yep. Still have the VFR. I imagine I will be keeping it for a long time to come as it's that kinda bike. I have actually worked out consumption but I'm getting up to about 300km per refill. It all depends on your riding as hitting the VTEC sucks fuel like a drunkard.
Regarding the windscreen. I've replaced the screen and also fitted an aftermarket adjuster. It cost a bomb but in the interests of long term comfort it has certainly improved the riding with much less wind blast or buffeting. Keep in mind that the riding position is fully upright which doesn't help. If you're tall,, obviously this becomes more of a problem. One easy cheat is to lift the bottom screen mounts by sticking a 10mm shim between the screen and the mounting bracket thereby allowing air flow under the screen.
Service in Australia is ludicrously priced as I was hit up for $400 on its first service by a local dealer. That's not because of the bike. They charge everyone that much regardless of make.
Just one final note. Check out the second hand market for VFR'S. Unfortunately the depreciation on them knocks them down to about $8500 pretty quickly and they stay at that forever. The bike really hasn't changed at all since 2015 apart from the screen. Few low km versions floating about and they're made to last.
Overall I still enjoy riding the bike and it does everything I could ask of it and more. The factory panniers are good and hold a bit but cost a bomb but also make the bike useful for shopping etc
Cheers and happy riding.

Get an answer from our members and Honda representatives

CategorySport Touring Bikes