Hortico Weed Killer

Hortico Weed Killer Questions & Answers

20 questions from our users

Adam S.

Adam S.asked

How does this compare to roundup and how long until you see results as it doesn't seem to be killing the weeds I sprayed its been 4 days I also used weed & feed on lawn and that seems to of started working already after 4 days when it says may not see results until upto 3 week ?

gingmo

It has the SAME active ingredient as round up. There is no comparison except that round up is (RTU) ready to use.
Hortico weed killer 360 has to be mixed with water. 4 days is way to early to see any results. Give it up to 2 to 4 weeks, just be patient. The weather plays a big part in how long it takes. In cold weather, longer. In sunny weather, shorter. If it rained within 6 hours of applying you may have to reapply.
Weed and feed has different active ingredients, same thing has happened to me. Hope this helps you out.

Rex H.

Rex H.asked

after mixing with water how long will it be active before it looses its strength to kill weeds

gingmo

The simple answer is to use it straight away. You can't store it.

Linda Thomas

Linda Thomasasked

Does it kill clover

gingmo

Yes it does, but don't use it if the clover is growing on your lawn or else your lawn will die off as well.
If it is not growing on your lawn use 10 ml per 1 litre of water.
If it is growing on your lawn you have to use a selective weed spray such as Yates bindii and clover killer
from Bunnings and mix 15ml per 1 litre of water. Just follow the instructions.
The Hortico weed killer is not selective, it will kill whatever you spray. Hope this helps you out.

Big Alasked

I have all sorts of weeds in my buffalo lawn due to me being ill for the last couple of months of winter and not giving my lawn any care. Would Hortico weed killer be suitable if I just mix it in a watering can and cover the lawn and weeds. Regards

Voldemaras

No, Big Al, Hortico weed killer is for getting rid of weeds around pathways, edges, and so on. So just pouring Hortico weed killer on your lawn will just kill everything - the weeds, the lawn; everything.

If you want to kill just the weeds and leave the lawn fairly much intact, get a "weed 'n' feed" type product and apply that instead.

Big Al

Many thanks for your comments

gingmo

You need a selective weed killer. Try this product,

LIZ B

LIZ Basked

My diluting instructions have worn away.How much weed killer to use per litre of water

gingmo

I have the Instruction PDF. This is what it says. (I always use 10ml per litre for weeds with success.) Just remember not to spray it on anything that you do not want to kill. Hope this helps you out. Read CAREFULLY.

WEED KILLER 360 An effective, easy and economical way to kill weeds and grasses — roots and all - in rockeries, garden beds, paths, driveways, along fencelines and lawn edges or before planting new lawns and gardens. HORTICO Weed Killer 360 is not active in the soil (non-residual) is non-selective and could kill wanted plants and grasses if sprayed.

WEEDS CONTROLLED Rate (mL per L of water) HOW TO APPLY
Broad leaf weeds and grasses including Rhodes, barnyard, buffalo, prairie and winter grass; sorrel; nutgrass; annual ryegrass; kikuyu; and paspalum: 5-10ml. Apply to actively growing plants, apply to grass weeds when seed head begins to form and to flowering plants when flower buds first develop.

Onion weed 10ml. Apply just before or at flowering

Oxalis species (soursob) 10ml. Apply when actively flowering

Bamboo 15 LEAF SPRAY: Cut stems to ground level. Spray re-growth when lm high 10mL per 60mL STEM TREATMENT: Cut stems back to 20cm high. Pour the mixture down the hollow stem or paint freshly cut stems.

Couch, guinea grass, lantana, 15ml. Apply when actively growing

Blackberry 15 Apply from flowering to leaf fall. Complete foliage cover is essential. Spray re-growth next season if necessary. DO NOT spray plants bearing edible fruit.

Pampas grass 15ml. Apply when actively growing before flowering.

Unwanted trees 140ml _ Cut tree close to the ground when actively growing and soak the cut surface using a spray or paint brush.

Dianne H.

Dianne H.asked

life span from dom

gingmo

What do you mean by 'life span from dom?'

Glen P.

Glen P.asked

Is this weed killer safe to use around cats

Peter C.

Peter C.asked

is it safe to spray around animals llamas and dogs thanks

tony h

tony hasked

"HORTICO weedKiller for Buffalo Lawns" although I've been told various mixes and of course
within the "directions of use" BUT what is the best mix for Buffalo Grass ??

gingmo

Try Hortico Selective Weed Killer for Buffalo Lawns (Bunnings)
Hortico weed killer will kill your lawn as well as the weeds.

Alex T.

Alex T.asked

I put some hortico top soil on my lawn my dog keeps trying to eat it , do I keep him inside , for how long

Robert B.

Robert B.asked

can i mix 1L hortico weed killer 360 in 5L water so I do not have to return to respray?

Voldemaras

I have never had a problem with efficacy of Hortico 360 at the recommended levels. And I certainly don't have to go back and respray.

Maybe you are spraying too soon before rain? Or are there other weeds popping up around the dying ones?

Using the entire litre in one go is just pointless really - it will achieve no better a result.

gingmo

Use it at the recommended application rates. Generally mix 10mm of Hortico 360 per 1 litre of water.
Read the application rates for what you are trying to control/kill. Some weeds and grass can take up to 1 month
to die off. Don't spray if rain is forecast within 6 hrs of application or you will definitely have to return to respray.
New weeds will always pop up depending on how big and how many bare patches you have. This is something we all have to monitor. You can only spray what you can see. If new weeds pop up you will have spray them. Do it once and do it properly an be patient. I'll repeat it for anyone else reading this. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Anthony G.

Anthony G.asked

What the substance looks like

Kav

Kavasked

Instruction manual says effects show in 7 to 10 days.?? Did most users find the effects taking only after the specified days or earlier??

gingmo

It depends on what type of grass or weed you are trying to control and It also depends on the temperature. It dies quicker in warm or hot weather. As soon as you notice some yellowing you know that its taking effect. Some people over spray and this can sometimes only burn the grass or weed making it look like its dead. Just be patient
and let the product do its work. I wouldn't spray in the heat of the day. Do it in the evening or at any time when the sun is not to hot. Don't over spray. I have found that
instruction manuals are only a guide. You'll learn from experience when something has died off. The yellowing is a sign that the weed killer is traveling to the root where
it will eventually die off. Good luck and hope I've helped in some way. P.S. Make sure that it is not going to rain within 6 hours after applying. If it does then you need to
reapply as the rain will have most likely washed the active ingredient off the weed/grass.

cathym

cathymasked

If i have 5 liters of water do i use 25mls of weed killer?

gingmo

Read the application instructions and it will tell you how many mls per litre you need to mix for what you are trying to control (kill)
Read the WEEDS CONTROLLED section then the rate of mls per litre. If you don't know the particular weed/s you want to get rid
type in common weeds on google images. Believe me you'll find it. Broad leaf weed application says 5 to 10 mls per litre. Hope this helps you out.
There is also an application rate for different types of grass.

brendajjb

brendajjbasked

Is this product harmful to pets?

DADAN

As far as I understand you need to give it enough time to dry after application otherwise it could harm pets (and bees). I tend to spray only at dusk as most bees will be 'gone' and I will keep pets in for a few hours.

CJAY

I would assume so. The product label only mentions to keep away from aquatic animals. I would rather be safer than sorry.

Wary Consumer
Wary Consumer

As has been often mentioned here, Hortico Weed Killer is a particular concentration of glyphosate.

A quick Google search to your question brought up this comprehensive answer, from the (English) Daily Telegraph of July 2016:

"Roundup (Glyphosate) is practically nontoxic to mammals, but the surfactants that are in the formulations are irritants, and can cause gastro-intestinal upset if eaten while wet. They might also cause skin irritation if the product contacts the skin while still wet. Once dry, it’s completely safe, so in most cases, it’s just a case of keeping pets away until the weeds have fully dried .

It’s sometimes said that wilting plants are more appealing to animals, and so might increase the palatability of poisonous plants, that’s more of an issue for herbivores (rabbits, guinea pigs, sheep, cattle, goats) who are likely to eat large quantities of plants. Dogs nibbling at a few leaves aren’t likely to have any problems unless the plants themselves are highly toxic (such as Lily of the Valley).
One extra tip: apart from fear of toxicity (which is actually minimal) , if a pet walks on areas that are wet with Roundup, they may then walk all over your lovely lawn, killing the grass in their footsteps (literally).."

Dave

Daveasked

Is it harmful to chickens?

DADAN

Its a chemical spray so I guess its harmful to anything that lives.....as far as I know after spraying it needs to have enough time to dry properly before letting your chickens roam....betta check with the supplier I'wld say.

CJAY

This is not a organic weed killer, so I would take caution. The instructions only mention that's its bad for aquatic animals.

Joseph

Josephasked

I sprayed Hortico weed killer 360 on the weeds in my field. Weeds are gone. I want to grow salads and vegies.
Is there any harm please?

DADAN

Sorry, I am not qualified to answer that question. If it was my garden i would let the ground rest for while before planting any crop in the area I sprayed. Better check with an expert though. cheers Daniel

Julie

Julieasked

How much do I use per litre of water

bzerk86

10ml per liter unless it's a particular woody weed or a type of tree, than it's either 15 or 20ml. If you open up the back label, there is a table that tells you how much to use.

Wisely

Wiselyasked

Is it Hortico weed killer pet friendly?

bzerk86

I don't believe so. I have used a home made non toxic weed killer previously the uses vinegar and salt. A quick Google should find it.

Sassy

Sassyasked

When can I let my dogs back out into the yard after using this product?

Dinah
Dinah

I would check with Bunnings or Hortico. I used it on the front lawn but my dogs do run on it occasionally. Plus I am not sure the product is that strong in the first place. Having said that, my gut feeling is to wait at least a day even if Hortico says it is safe to use around animals.

Get an answer from our members and Hortico representatives