Laura A

Laura AMelbourne

Don't buy it

I purchased a cream hug a bub mesh ring sling online direct from the company. I find it incredibly difficult to use as the fabric grabs, doesn't slide through the rings easily and gets stuck every time. I have since met some people experienced with ring slings (and baby wearing) and they confirmed I am doing/using it correctly but it's the material which is an issue as they have come across this problem with the same product many times before. I really regret this purchase as I've never been able to use it despite trying many many times to give it a go, but no matter what I do the material gets stuck in the rings. I'm disappointed as this wasn't a cheap purchase and I really wanted to love this product.

Disappointing

The order was sent in separate bundles and so because I was having it shipped onwards it became a hugely expensive exercise - this separate processing was done without any communication to me.

I also found the fabric is too stretchy, so after a period of baby wearing, the baby slides around and I need to keep retying. This is extremely difficult when I am out on my own and don't wish to put the baby down on a dirty seat. It was much more comfortable with an ergo - both for me and baby.

Review collected in partnership with Hug-a-Bub

Struggled to put it on so never used it

I was so excited about getting this product and really wanted to use it. I lived i Hong Kong and it was perfect for getting around the city. But I could never put it on properly it was too complicated and I was always worried I hadn't put it on right and my baby would slip out so I never used it.

Review collected in partnership with Hug-a-Bub

tar
Tiffany B

Tiffany BMelbourne

Not For Everyone

Definitely not for everyone. I loved the idea, so I purchased one for my newborn but she hated it!
She didn't like how much it squished her and how she couldn't move at all, she would scream bloody murder every time she was in it. Changed her to the Bjorn and she was happy as pie.
It's also very very hard to put on, especially when you are alone, also found it hard to get bubs in it.
I tried selling it and no one would take it, I ended up having to give it to a friend for free. Waste of money if you ask me. I recommend trying it on with your baby first to see if you like it and if your baby is happy to be that squished against you.

Suze

SuzeMelbourne

Regrettable purchase

Gemstar

Gemstar

Bad

Didn't suit my needs, even though I heard they were great, bit disappointed I spent so much money on something that I didn't use very often and you could probably make one yourself.
I liked the great colours and soft material. I bought this at the recommedation of others and because it was comfortable.
Overpriced - I paid $130 at a baby shop for a length of fabric and a DVD on how to fold it. The product didn't suit me as my baby was very small 6 pound and had to go in the pea pod configuration which mean't I was lopsided and put quite a bit of strain on my neck and upper back so I ended up stopping using it because of the aches. Also it was a real pain to fold each time so I invested in a baby bjorn.

T_Tiger

T_Tiger

Bad

I sold my hug-a-bub because it was too fiddly to bother with. I ended up using a Baby Bjorn carrier because it was much more straight forward to put baby into. Particularly when out and about.
Great designs, newborn babies can be nice, snug and close to mum. Supports their head\neck.
I found it too difficult to put on. Too much fiddling around to get it right. I needed something quick and easy to put on. I think it is expensive for one big long piece of material.

Angel

Angelasked

Hug-a-Bub

What is the weight limit on the hug a bug newbie?

Sean R.Hug-a-Bub

Hi Angel, the official weight limit is 3.2 kg. If your baby is smaller or premature, it is possible to use Newbie but you would need to check with your health professional first.
We hope that helps. Kind regards.

Mandi78asked

Ring Sling

Hi,
I'm after reviews of the Hugabub RING SLING, not the wrap?
Could someone please comment?

Leslie
Leslie

I am a certified babywearing instructor educated through Die Trageschule Dresden. I love the Hug A Bub ring slings, especially the new mesh one. It's cotton weave is cool and easily washed. I also like that they use quality rings and fabric from a ethical manufacturer. I have not seen any other mesh fabric slings out there. I also like that the fabrics used are not too thin/thick or cheap run of the mill cotton. Hug A Bub has great customer service and good instructions to help if you are unfamiliar with using a sling. I love ring slings because they are beautiful easy and compact. I feel like a natural mam in a ring sling. When I wear other types of carriers, I feel like I am going on a trip and have my baby packed in a back pack:)

Rubyrhi
Rubyrhi

Hi Mandi78. Just wondering if you ever purchased a hugabub ring sling? I'm thinking of going down the same path. If so how did you find it? Thank you Rhianna

Hi,

I don't have a HugaBub ring sling. I was looking for a light cotton everyday sling as I don't want to wear out my beautiful P-Sling.

I have a silk blend P-sling in slate grey. Although I wear it casually, It's quite dressy and I have had quite a few mums stop to ask me what type of sling it is.

Also, I have a BreezeBaby (same as Taylor Made Sling. Absolutely swear by it for bathing an infant. I could never manage a bath, too awkward.

My 'Seven' sling lives in the car and is my arms free kit when holding my young bub while collecting my toddler from daycare.

Wear any sling on your shoulder and not your neck or you will soon feel neck pain. Practice without a baby in until you feel what's right positioning.

Had a Natures Sway sling and regret selling it off but, at the time, I felt compelled to minimise.

Reviewer

Reviewerasked

Original

Is it worth me getting a hug bub even thou my baby is now 8kg? I previously had a carrier but it was soo uncomfortable, has anyone used the hug a bub with a bigger baby

leonie
leonie

It's really hard to say. I've got a big baby, and still use it every now and then. My guy weighs about 11.5kg now. I can't exactly remember but he was probably 6-8kg when I bought it. You could always Google or eBay a Moby Wrap and find a cheap one to see if you like it. I didn't realize a Moby Wrap is the same as (and a more generic name of) a hug a bub. And, as good as the hug a bub is, I would have tried to find something cheaper before committing had I known what they were called :).

Kellie W.
Kellie W.

Hi Julie, I'd get a woven. I had a hug-a-bub and was amazed at the difference in support. Hug-a-bubs and Mobys are invaluable for small ones, but as they get heavier, more support is warranted. Wovens can get expensive. I recommend starting out by going to a local baby-wearing group. They normally have libraries and you can try varying carriers there. Otherwise, there is the "BWBSS Aussie Babywearing Support" and the ladies in that group can help you out.

Get an answer from our members and Hug-a-Bub representatives

All three Hug-a-Bub products won the 2019 Awards for Best Baby Carriers. With a vast majority of 5-star ratings, they're a popular pick among new parents.

Made with organic cotton, these baby carriers are designed to ‘softly and supportively cradles your baby from head to toe, promoting orthopaedically correct positioning for your baby's delicate hips and spine.’

Here are the four options you can choose from:

• Pocket Wrap: Features a pocket that doubles as a storage pouch. You can wrap up the fabric of this carrier and tuck it into the pocket section.
  • Lightweight Baby Wrap: Similar to the pocket wrap, this version is lighter, and is a comfortable choice for hot weather (though it can be used all year round). It lacks the pocket feature of the above carrier.
  • Wring Sling: This baby sling is available in a reversible or mesh ring option. These let you carry your baby in any of five positions they prefer resting in, rather than just upright.
Compare all 5 Hug-a-Bub