A little too hot!

It took us a little while to figure out how to safely wrap our baby - especially when we were on the go, such as getting out of the car. Once we figured it out, we loved it whilst our baby was very little as we could really snuggle him up. But it became too hot and our baby became quite uncomfortable too quickly. I note that you have a new lightweight edition, so hopefully this will be somewhat more comfortable to wear for periods of time?

A little disappointing

I loved the hug a bub for the new born phase but found that a wriggly baby meant the fabric would shift as I wore her making the harness not as secure. As a dissapointing result I stopped using it after about 4 months due to safety concerns for bub.

Difficult to use

I found the ring sling very difficult to use with a fussy baby who didn't like to be confined. He would scream and arch his back every time I tried to put him in it, resulting in him not being secure. The ring sling is certainly not for every baby.

Overly complicated to wrap

I liked the idea of the hug-a-bub, but found it took ages to wrap and get my baby into. I think less material would still provide the strength / safety features, but would be easier/quicker to use. If it is a case of attempting to cover all sizes, I am quite small, but suggest having various sizes to fit all. At this stage I would not use it for my second baby. Thanks.

Review collected in partnership with Hug-a-Bub

Wish we bought it sooner

Love the colours of our sling (bondi colours). Our baby doesn't like it and it was hard trying to get her into it. Wish we bought it sooner as our baby was just over 4 months and 7.6kg when we got it. I think it would be easier and we would use it if we started our baby in it from a younger age.

Our go-to gift

We are big fans! Hug-a-bubs are our go-to presents for expectant parents. We have lots of great memories with our two wraps and like to pass on the love. I did like the fabric that you used to use better though. It's too stretchy now! A wrap with stiffer material just works better.

Disappointed

I found this wrap hard to to learn how to wrap, unfortunately the the for me and others I know who have purchased this particular wrap just find the diagrams no where near detailed enough to do that wrap. Overall not particularly satisfying considering the cost of this particular product.

Was great but...

The wrap worked well but was hard to tighten at the top once baby was in. My friend lent me a different type of hug a bub which had strings to tighten which worked much better. I felt my baby was much more secure. Ended up buying a more structured carrier.

Sean R.Hug-a-Bub

Hi Sally, we have Certified Babywearing Instructors on staff, and they can offer tips and tricks for tightening the carrier once baby is in. If your baby is still young enough to use your Hug-a-Bub, we'd welcome your call on 1800 757 777!

Chella

Chella

Wouldn't rave about it

Have used for my 3kg newborn a couple of times. It is ok. She seems happy enough but I see how it would get hot quickly. I am a small person (55kg) and find it has stretched a bit at the front, not sure why? It is easy to use as far as tying it on. For some reason after a while I find it starts to hurt my upper back where it is tied. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this? Am hoping to get a lot more use out of it however as it is a relatively expensive baby item and is essentially just a well marketed peice of material. Would recommend a second hand one to buyers.

Miss C

Miss C

Only for the newborn, marks baby's legs, terrible in QLD

Cathy

CathyAlbury

Wasn't for us!

I purchased a hug-a-bub after reading so many great reviews. We were rather late to purchase, bubs was 5 weeks and a big boy. He hated it, every time I used it he just cried. I can only guess as he was already so big it was not comfortable. We now purchased a different baby carrier which he loves, easy to use and falls asleep all the time in it.

SukMaan Kong

SukMaan KongHobart, TAS

Nice idea but difficult to put on

I love the idea of the wrap and baby being snug in my chest, it seems comfortable for the carrier and bub. However, i feel that i need a university degree to know how to put it on! i find that there is too much excessive fabric, probably due to bub and i being small and i can't seem to wrap my baby snug enough.
i cannot imagine how i can easily put it on and off when i go out and about or have to do it quickly.
one piece of fabric that wrap around with no attachment
Difficult to put on

AJ

AJSouth East Queensland, QLD

Too hot to wear in Summer

I live in QLD and purchased the hugabub because of the great reviews. I have only used it a couple of times and personally found the wrap too hot for our weather. I am disappointed as it is very comfortable to wear. I would not recommend using the hugabub if you live in a hot climate area.
Very comfortable
Too hot to wear in summer

Peter H.Hug-a-Bub

Hi Amy. There are summer wearing adjustments that allow for more airflow, less layering and less body coverage. Please feel free to call head office for product support.

Charis

Charis

Harley006

Harley006NSW, 2233

Extremely comfortable however takes time to assemble

I was given this carrier as a gift when my first baby was born. While it is extremely comfortable, and is good for those with a bad back, i did find that it took me a long time to assemble, and usually had to get someone to put it on for me. I found that there are too many bits and pieces to string together- and if you have more than one child, is less than ideal if you have to go somewhere in a hurry.
Comfortable
Expensive, difficult to put on. Not good if you are in a hurry

savvymummy

savvymummyIllawarra, NSW

ttulips

ttulips

OK

It certainly gives the best support as fas as baby carrier. My son doesn't like being in it. It's too complicated to wear and too expensive. I certainly wouldn't buy it new since it costs too much.
I borrowed this carrier from my friend since I've been having back problem carring my son as he gets heavier. It is quite tricky to put on but it gives great support to your back and you can do most thing since both you hands are free. Very comfortable.
It is not the most flaterring look. It takes a while to get use to put it on, so it is not the most convinient way when you go shopping. Pricey!!

Angel

Angelasked

Hug-a-Bub

What is the weight limit on the hug a bug newbie?

Sean R.Hug-a-Bub

Hi Angel, the official weight limit is 3.2 kg. If your baby is smaller or premature, it is possible to use Newbie but you would need to check with your health professional first.
We hope that helps. Kind regards.

Mandi78asked

Ring Sling

Hi,
I'm after reviews of the Hugabub RING SLING, not the wrap?
Could someone please comment?

Leslie
Leslie

I am a certified babywearing instructor educated through Die Trageschule Dresden. I love the Hug A Bub ring slings, especially the new mesh one. It's cotton weave is cool and easily washed. I also like that they use quality rings and fabric from a ethical manufacturer. I have not seen any other mesh fabric slings out there. I also like that the fabrics used are not too thin/thick or cheap run of the mill cotton. Hug A Bub has great customer service and good instructions to help if you are unfamiliar with using a sling. I love ring slings because they are beautiful easy and compact. I feel like a natural mam in a ring sling. When I wear other types of carriers, I feel like I am going on a trip and have my baby packed in a back pack:)

Rubyrhi
Rubyrhi

Hi Mandi78. Just wondering if you ever purchased a hugabub ring sling? I'm thinking of going down the same path. If so how did you find it? Thank you Rhianna

Hi,

I don't have a HugaBub ring sling. I was looking for a light cotton everyday sling as I don't want to wear out my beautiful P-Sling.

I have a silk blend P-sling in slate grey. Although I wear it casually, It's quite dressy and I have had quite a few mums stop to ask me what type of sling it is.

Also, I have a BreezeBaby (same as Taylor Made Sling. Absolutely swear by it for bathing an infant. I could never manage a bath, too awkward.

My 'Seven' sling lives in the car and is my arms free kit when holding my young bub while collecting my toddler from daycare.

Wear any sling on your shoulder and not your neck or you will soon feel neck pain. Practice without a baby in until you feel what's right positioning.

Had a Natures Sway sling and regret selling it off but, at the time, I felt compelled to minimise.

Reviewer

Reviewerasked

Original

Is it worth me getting a hug bub even thou my baby is now 8kg? I previously had a carrier but it was soo uncomfortable, has anyone used the hug a bub with a bigger baby

leonie
leonie

It's really hard to say. I've got a big baby, and still use it every now and then. My guy weighs about 11.5kg now. I can't exactly remember but he was probably 6-8kg when I bought it. You could always Google or eBay a Moby Wrap and find a cheap one to see if you like it. I didn't realize a Moby Wrap is the same as (and a more generic name of) a hug a bub. And, as good as the hug a bub is, I would have tried to find something cheaper before committing had I known what they were called :).

Kellie W.
Kellie W.

Hi Julie, I'd get a woven. I had a hug-a-bub and was amazed at the difference in support. Hug-a-bubs and Mobys are invaluable for small ones, but as they get heavier, more support is warranted. Wovens can get expensive. I recommend starting out by going to a local baby-wearing group. They normally have libraries and you can try varying carriers there. Otherwise, there is the "BWBSS Aussie Babywearing Support" and the ladies in that group can help you out.

Get an answer from our members and Hug-a-Bub representatives

All three Hug-a-Bub products won the 2019 Awards for Best Baby Carriers. With a vast majority of 5-star ratings, they're a popular pick among new parents.

Made with organic cotton, these baby carriers are designed to ‘softly and supportively cradles your baby from head to toe, promoting orthopaedically correct positioning for your baby's delicate hips and spine.’

Here are the four options you can choose from:

• Pocket Wrap: Features a pocket that doubles as a storage pouch. You can wrap up the fabric of this carrier and tuck it into the pocket section.
  • Lightweight Baby Wrap: Similar to the pocket wrap, this version is lighter, and is a comfortable choice for hot weather (though it can be used all year round). It lacks the pocket feature of the above carrier.
  • Wring Sling: This baby sling is available in a reversible or mesh ring option. These let you carry your baby in any of five positions they prefer resting in, rather than just upright.
Compare all 5 Hug-a-Bub