Husqvarna 395XP

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Best Chain saw ever Made Husqvarna 395 XP

I have owned my Husky 395Xp for 12 years, It is the Best chainsaw ever made without a doubt. It has NOT cost me 1 cent, never let me down, and HUSQVARNA still make this model. There is no difference in any way between the Chainsaw I bought 12 years ago and the 395XP built in 2019. Just goes to show, when you build something right, you don't mess with it.
It starts by the 3 rd Pull, I use it everyday on hard wood, I keep my chains sharp, and swap them over with every tank of fuel.

Purchased in March 2007 for $2,500.00.

Safety

Great saw until used on large timber

Great saw - Light, powerful, and easily maneuverable - and the filter never gets dirty!!
Bad Saw - Bury it fully into a log and the exhaust jet cuts the plastic kick back lever completely off like a hot knife...had to replace two before I sold the saw in frustration....

Date PurchasedJul 2009

Quality Saw

Powerful saw, uses a lot of plastic to keep weight down but does not cause reliability issue, great saw all round, if looked after will last a lifetime, I usually changed piston at end of season and on doing so found piston in good shape due to filtration system; run a tungsten tipped chain as I cut dirty timber and handles it easy.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Fuel tank breather

There was a factory recall on fuel tank breather causing vacuum in fuel tank Hard to start when hot .Quiz your dealer I work on these saws fairly regular in our work shop .Being a Husky dealer workshop .We had several farmers come in complaining no hot start .Replaced vent tube and rod in tank .Cured cheers

If it were a motorbike, it would be a KTM.

This is my 6th saw, 3 German and 4 Swedish.
Swedes win, the saw/s are far more ergonomic and pleasant to use, same reliability, etc.
To me the Huskys are a more refined less aggressive saw, easier to use and therefore you are able to cut more wood/timber. Simple.
I'm a farmer, not a "Lumber Jack", but the forestry workers I know say "Husqvarna" and they are hard men, For me Husqvarna are the tools. Comfort is safety, we are here to cut yellow and red box, not get shaken to death in a fight with a saw.
NB can't say the same for their back pack blowers!!! About as ergonomic as a fencepost.

Christmas Came Early For The Maddog

Recently purchased this saw due to theft of my old faithful husqy. Thought she was a bit nose heavy with 36 inch bar to start with but when she runs she lifts to near perfect balance. Stable enough when working from harness too. Look forward to running her in this winter and get some large scale sculpture as well as keeping firewood stocked. Plenty of power for dropping the big ones but also capable of very fine work. Anyway, I'm happy and impressed with this tool and hope she keeps up the great performance I've enjoyed using her. Hope all ye fellow owners love theirs too. Need to get a proper chain guard as the wife keeps complaining about stubbing her toes in bed. Lucky my beezer m20 won't fit up the stairs. Happy days and ye all stay safe and lucky. Maddogdom

cuts through like butter

I have been operating this chainsaw for about a year now. It is the best I have ever used. It has loads of power and cuts through every tree like butter. It is not hard to start, that is an unfair criticism - the engine is almost 100 cc so you must expect some resistance on the pull starter compared with the smaller models. The only problem with the saw is the weight. After a while it kills my back but that is hardly the fault of saw.

Some Issues

Have owned this saw for 2 seasons now....as few issues
when idling, tends to stop a fair bit, sounds as though it has run out of fuel. Seems strange, but if you undo fuel cap a bit, reduces this problem. Really seems as though it creates an air lock in the tank
Is a real dud to start when hot....and I mean, a real dud
As someone mentioned, one of the nuts that holds the casing on tends to come loose (have lost a couple). No idea if this is a Husky issue or not, but my father has an old 385 and has the same problem, constantly
Really likes a drink
The bloke that designed the chain tensioner must have had a few drinks before hand....it is in a hopeless position, especially when saw/bar/chain is hot
But in saying all that, you only have to shake the saw at a tree...it comes down in fright. The hardest running, best cutting saw I have ever, ever owned (and Ive had a few). I would really suggest you run a 20" blade. Will cut any log, just gives it that much more power to cutting teeth

Just a great saw

A bit heavy to start with but the ease of cutting and the extra weight it has pushes it down and makes anything over 100 a breeze. Any log over 200mm it is "easier" to use than my 372XP.
I've had it for over 6 years & have done so much work & only 1 official service, just thought it deserved it. Very reliable. I only use the Husky lubricants & parts.
Not a saw for beginners, can lose a limb or head quite quickly. I always wear the gloves & Husky Forest Helmet, which I also give 5 stars to.

For the pro's

What a great saw, I brought this saw as a second to Husqvarna 288 XP that I have owned for 15 years and still going strong. The 395 is the equivalent to the 288 and has proven to be just as capable. Had for 2.5 years and no trouble cutting about 30 ton a year.

Good

A very reliable saw , a joy to use, minimal vibration and well balanced.. makes me want to start my own tree lopping buisiness
i like everything asbout this saw....i also have the 3120xp (the biggest) and its also a top saw but the 395xp is just that little bit easier to handle and i've had it "tuned" up and she really screams. cuts any timber with ease and will go all day hot or cold...best saw i've ever used....no tree is safe!
the chain bar tensioning screw isn't strong enough .i've gone through a couple..they bend and eventually snap under pressure...also the one of the two nuts that hold the chain brake housing on the side come loose under vibration ....

Bad

This has to have been one of the worst professional saws I have used for commercial cutting, my saw ( bought new )was completely serviced every 3 days during cutting season so it is not neglected.
I also used the best synthetic 2 stroke oil, yet the saw had been hard if not impossible to start when hot. The saw finally gave up when 13 months old, the piston disintegrated and dropped the piston skirt into the crankcase destroying the saw.
I can use a saw 8 - 10 hours a day ( actual cutting time ) 7 days a week at times and block up 15 - 20 ton daily. My equivalent Stihl MS660's ( 91.6cc )handle the same cutting conditions with ease.
Has a good air filtration system & good vibration damping.
Hard if not impossible to start when hot which is very frustrating, Doesn't want to handle continuous use in warm weather.
The saw also has a badly placed chain adjuster, and the chain brake is not really inertia activated.

WOW! What a saw! Power to cut all Aussie hardwood
I bought this saw after 4 different people recommended it. One guy has cut 2500 fence posts and it starts first time and has never changed the drive sprocket. Word is the standard 24" bar is adequate unless you are cutting rainforrests down!! (then you can go to 36"!)If you can go the extra $$ GET THIS ONE!!!
Plenty of power, not too heavy (lighter than my old ProMac 800) Starts beautifully Well finished and quality throughout
Well thought out erganomics
Oil cutoff on idle
Decompression button a little arqward at first
A little noiser than smaller saws but I suppose thats normal (90db)

Good

i own two of these saws and use them on slabbing and rail mills,also firewood,seem to rev a bit harder than 066 magnums i have used.they like a drink but work hard for it.always better price than the stihl.very happy with all husqvarna products i have owned.
power but still pretty light.
mufflers tend to come loose,and some parts can be pricey.can be tricky to start when hot.