39 questions from our users

Zoe Byron
Zoe Byronasked
Hydrotherm

Just got a Dynamic X8 hot water system. Great Machine. Is it possible to set timers so it runs from 6am-8am, then later on, say 11.30pm-4pm.
That way, we have hot water in the morning ready for peak demand. But majority of heating still happens when ambient air temperatures are at their highest, later in the day.

Question 1. Is it possible to have two timer settings?
Question 2. Would this make a difference to power usage? Or are best best just leaving the settings the way they are (7am - 5pm)

Hi Zoe,

Great questions there, please see the following:

Q1. Yes, you can set up to three different periods with our in-built timers.

Q2. Your power usage is really dependent on how much hot water you are using. Unless you have a high hot water demand, you should be able to get away with just one timer period, between 11:30 and 16:00. This is a good period as you said, because it’s the hottest times of the day. One thing to note is that because there is little heat loss of the stored hot water, heating the 260L of hot water should be sufficient until the next day. Obviously this won’t be the case if you’ve used up the hot water.

If you need assistance with setting the timers, please give us a call on 1300 769 904 or see the following link:

Min
Minasked

Hello,
Do you provide Hydrotherm hot water unit and installation in Sydney area?
I am living in Sydney , but what I heard is you only provide this heat pump unit in QLD.
Please let me know which company provides this unit in Sydney. Many thanks.

Hi MIn,

Thanks for getting in touch. We certainly do provide heat pumps in Sydney. Please can you give us a call on 1300 769 904 or email to info@hydrothermhotwatersystems.com.au with your details so we can follow this up for you.

Kind regards,
The Hydrotherm Team.

Lachy
Lachyasked

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can tell me exactly (or even approximately) how much power the Hydrotherm pulls?
I know it must be connected to 240V mains.
But looking to run it through a solar system.

Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers

Hi Lachy,

The DYNAMIC/X8 draws a max of 0.9kWh, it depends on the stage of the heating cycle. In the majority of households, we'd recommend using the factory default timers of 09:00 to 17:00.

Ruth M.asked
Hydrotherm

What will be the cost to me after government rebates of installing a 300 litre hydrotherm hot water pump?

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for you enquiry. Please check your messages for details about pricing.

Ruth M.

I can't seem to find where my messages are located

HydrothermHydrotherm

You can find all your messages by clicking your profile up on the top right of your page (yours should read "Ruth M") and then click on your Inbox. All your messages should then be displayed.

Yve K.
Yve K.asked
Hydrotherm

Hi I am looking at replacing my hot water system with a hydrotherm. I am northern NSW, and would like to know costing, rebates etc applicable for this area. thanking you.

Hi Yve,

Thanks for getting in touch. Please see your mail messages for more details.

Les M.asked
Hydrotherm

After 7 years of use my Hydroterm system plumber recomended to change all system for the new cost me 2500$ Is it wright?? Les Two days ago alarm start beeping and on the screen show you A8 or R8 What das it tel you?

Hi Les

The A8 alarm is a block condensate alarm.It means the copper pipe that is used to drain the condensate when the system is running is blocked and backfilled. It is an easy fix. If you contact our office during opening hours, they will be able to assist in clearing this alarm.

Les M.

A8 yes , the copper pipe was block.My plumber drain the water however,he decided that the system needs to be replaced because the compressor has too little gas and he does not know What type of gas is in the tank.It seems that he comes to change the all system and not repair it,whitch consequently cost of my pocket 2600$.The question is it is ringht???? Regards. Les

HydrothermHydrotherm

Hi Les, we can check if the system is heating correctly by checking the screen readings, when it is running. If you contact the office on 1300 769 904 during opening hours, when you in front of the system, we can quickly answer your questions.

Denise C.
Denise C.asked
Hydrotherm

how much does this system installed with the goverment rebate?

Hi Denise,

Thanks for your enquiry. Please can check your private messages for details regarding pricing and government rebates.

Kind regards,
The Hydrotherm Team.

Sylvia P.
Sylvia P.asked
Hydrotherm

Hi I’m thinking to renew my hot water system and would like to know what the costs are to install. I live in Melbourne Croydon 3136 area and would expect to get the government rebate. Thankyou

Sylvia P.
Sylvia P.asked
Dynamic/X8

What is the cost including the government grant to install this unit. I am in Vic Croydon 3136.

Didier L.
Didier L.asked
Dynamic/X8

Hi. Can anyone recommend companies that can supply and install this product for an affordable price in the Western suburbs in Melbourne . Thanks

Adam H.
Adam H.asked
Dynamic/X8

I am considering installing a Hydrotherm Dynamic/X8 but it will need to go directly outside a bedroom window of my house. Will noise be an issue from this system?

Simo L.
Simo L.

Hi Adam, I have just had one installed recently. The house is the same as an aircon unit. Hardly notice it. It has a timer that you can set to run during day time. It only needs to run a few hours to heat up the water

Adam
Adamasked
Hydrotherm

Hi whos the retailers for south east Melbourne please.

Bill

Sorry I can’t help with that. I live in Brisbane.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for getting in touch. Please can you send your details, including your postal address, to info@hydrothermhotwatersystems.com.au and we can provide you with that information. Or call us on 1300 769 904.

Lainasked
Hydrotherm

Hi, we are currently building a new house and are looking the Hydrotherm heat pump system. However, we have 5 people in our house and I would estimate we are heavy hot water users. Would this system be able to cope with high demand usage for 5 people, only having a 270L tank? Thanks.

Hi Lain,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

We recommend our DYNAMIC/X8 system for households of up to 6 people. A standard shower head that uses 7-9L/minute equates to roughly 40-50 minutes of hot water showering time (i.e. the time to completely drain the tank). However, the DYNAMIC/X8 has additional functions which can give you a boost of hot water if need be.

Our recommendation of up to 6 people applies for most households. The factors which will result in households running out of hot water quicker are:

1. The length of time of showers.
2. The distance between the hot water system and your shower.
3. How many baths per day.
4. Time of year (hot water usage is higher in winter).

However to simply answer your question, yes, we believe that our system can meet your requirements.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Lain

Thank you for the fast reply. Just say we drained half the tank due to long showers/high use etc.. Would the heat pump automatically start heating the water again as you're using it? Also, how long would it approximately take to heat a tank of water once it drained?

I've only used standard electric storage, which we had to wait for the next day to get hot water if we ran out which was annoying. We're currently using an LPG instant system, which is nice to have unlimited hot water but is costing us a fortune in gas!!

Definitely looking forward to the Hydrotherm if it suits.

No problem at all :)

The reason why your previous hot water system would only heat once per day is likely that it was connected to a night time electricity tariff (i.e. the hot water system only had power at night time). Being on a night time tariff you would need a much larger storage tank to meet the home’s high hot water demand, as it will only have a chance to heat once a day.

We recommend all customers have their Hydrotherm installed on either a continuous or shoulder tariff. One of the reasons is so the system can heat after the morning and evening showers.

The DYNAMIC/X8 will begin to heat whenever the tank water sensor drops below 55C, which is generally after two showers. The system will then heat up to the full 60C which generally takes 1-3 hours. If the DYNAMIC/X8 was completely drained of its 260L of hot water, the system will heat for take about 3-5 hours to reheat ALL the water in the tank.

So in conclusion, if you were to have a DYNAMIC/X8 system on either a continuous or shoulder tariff, there should be no issue with system meeting your new homes hot water demands.

Dirk S.asked
Hydrotherm

Hi we have Hydrotherm tank reads 60deg and reads full but no hot water is coming out , any ideas thanks in advance Derek

Bill

It will be sensor at the top of the system. When we had a system installed the sensor would fail at least once a year. If you brought the system from a plumber, my advice is if it is still under warranty I would be to get them to fix it. Don't let them palm you off onto hydrotherm. If you got system from hydrotherm you will probably have continuous trouble with sensor failure. We are getting a different system. Bill

Thanks Bill

Hi Dirk,

I believe that you have already been in touch with Hydrotherm regarding the issue you had with your system. Just as reference to others, we can be contacted for servicing on 1300 76 904 or at service@hydrothermhotwatersystems.com.au.

DeWet from Hydrotherm

Lisa T.
Lisa T.asked
Hydrotherm

Hi there my system is not heating above 25 degrees Celsius and the fan has been running continuously.

HydrothermHydrotherm

Hi Lisa if you contact the office on 1300 769 904 we will be able to assist with diagnosis of issue.

Bill

We brought one of their systems and the first winter we had a sensor problem. If you brought it from a plumber I would suggest that you call them. It sounds like a similar problem too ours. If the plumbers try too get you to call Hydrotherm directly refuse as it is their problem. We rang plumbers and they gave us Simon's number. The plumbers then washed their hands of any responsibility. Hot Water system sensor would fail once or twice a year, mainly in the winter. Hope you have a better run than ours. We are now getting a solar system. Simon payed us out the money for the system so he did not have to deal with us any more. Good luck Bill.

Ellaasked
Hydrotherm

Would you please ask for or enter the locality of the person reporting as this is important for how heat pump may work in different climate
Say Melbourne or Northern Vic etc
It is often listed but not always

Sue Brown
Sue Brown

Hi Ella, we live on the northern rivers of New South Wales and are finding the system to be an efficient water heater.

HI, I live in Salisbury Brisbane and have purchased 3 heat pumps over the past 5 years. I noticed considerable reduction in water heating costs throughout this time. Would not consider any other hot water system.

Thankyou for that
I was actually asking for that info to be stated in each person's comments but it must be optional
We do have neighbours in Melbourne with a htdrotherm and so far they are happy with it

F Maher
F Maherasked
Hydrotherm

I have sent three emails to info@hydrothermhotwatersystems.com.au and still no response after more than 40 days!! Any reason?
I thought that’s better to ask a question before leaving a bad review.

Hi F Maher,

Please can you check your emails for a request for you contact details so we can follow this up for you. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I will follow up your request as soon as possible.

Jon
Jonasked
Hydrotherm

Hi. We have a hydrotherm system but over the last few days the alarm keeps going off continually, creating complaints from our neighbours. The water still heats but the alarm will not stop.

Jon A.
Jon A.

Hi,
Oddly enough just days after I posted my review I've had a problem with my Hydrotherm Volt unit. The alarm kept going off and annoying my neighbours. On the control panel (lower right hand of the screen) where the temperature normally is - you'll see a number A1 - A5. These are the Alarm Error Codes. Check which alarm error code you're getting and then call Hydrotherm and they'll be abel to advise on the best solution. I had an A5 last week and it was quite easy to reset the Low/High Pressure switch which has fixed that problem. However, I've since discovered there is a leak in the tank. I contacted Hydrotherm to activate the Warranty and while the contact staff have been fantastic the people looking after the Warranty have been less obliging. They demanded various photos, the original Credit Card receipt from 5 years ago, the original Solar Certificate and so on. Luckily I managed to find these documents but it appears the 15 years Warranty has so many exclusions I may have trouble getting it replaced or fixed under their service agreement. I'll keep you posted.

Ant
Antasked
Hydrotherm

My alarm went off last night so i pushed the on / off button once , has the system been off all day ? As my water is warm not hot

Hi Ant,

I believe you might need to adjust a setting there. Please contact us directly on 1300 769 904 or service@hydrothermhotwatersystems.com.au and we'll be able to assist you as soon as possible with any service needs.

Zoe Byron
Zoe Byronasked
Hydrotherm

My Hydrotherm water temp is set to 60degrees> after it gets to about 50 degrees it makes a high pitched sound that is very annoying and has attracted neighbour complaints.

Model is R410X1000g. Purchased 15/11/12.

Causes? Solution?

Get an answer from our members and Hydrotherm representatives

Other Electric Hot Water Storage Systems