7Hydrotherm

Hydrotherm Questions & Answers (page 3)

Jeff and Alison
Jeff and Alison · Hydrotherm

Hi-we've just had a hydrothermal installed at our house. The plumber who installed it said that we would need to change our tariff from Tariff 33 to Tariff 11 to get the benefits of reduced hot water costs. Is this correct?

Alison

Hydrotherm   DM

Hi Alison & Jeff, Choosing the correct Tariff will depend on your unique circumstances. The most common situation that it would be beneficial to switch from Tariff 11 to Tariff 33 would be if you have a Solar PV system at your home and you wish to run you Hydrotherm during hours when your solar is likely to be producing energy. The reason it’s necessary to change the system from Tariff 33 to Tariff 11 is that only Tariff 11 power consumption is netted against your solar production. You would also need to set the inbuilt timers on the system to run between 10:00am- 4:00pm, when solar production is at its highest.

If the system remains on Tariff 33 then you will always be running the Hydrotherm at a current rate of $0.23/kWh while the rate for Tariff 11 is $0.28/kWh. However the advantage having the system on Tariff 11 is that rather then selling back energy to your provider at a low rate of $0.06 - $0.08, you can utilise the energy being produced and therefore offset the cost of purchasing energy from the grid (when the timers aren’t running). Effectively running the Hydrotherm off your Solar PV would result in a net saving of approximately $0.16 per kWh (compared to having the system run on Tariff 33). For an average home using approximately 2–3kW a day this can result in additional savings of approximately $200 or more per year.

However it’s important to be aware you don’t want to do this if your Solar PV System was connected prior to 10 July 2012 as you would most likely be on an older 44c Feed-in. Here a link to one of our blogs that discuss this scenario. external link

If Solar PV is not a factor in your decision-making, then you can leave your system connected to Tariff 33. However we still encourage the use of timers so the system heats during the day at times of highest efficiency.

Here is an example of the two different Tariffs using an estimated power consumption of 2.5kW per day or 900kW per year for a typical home:

Tariff 11 – 900kW per annum x $0.28 = $252.00 per annum

Tariff 33 – 900kW per annum x $0.23 = $207.00 per annum

So a typical home using 2.5 kW a day to run their Hydrotherm, the difference between Tariff 33 or Tariff 11 would be approximately $50 per year.

If you have any further questions please feel free to call us directly on 1300 769 904 and we will be happy to discuss further.

The Hydrotherm Team

Dan · Hydrotherm

I just installed rnd 3 mnth ago (plum er by trade)and today after work i had no hot water any more. it stoped warking .no signal of any power . Need someone to help me out

I am in Carindale qld. Regards

Hi dan

Is the cb tripped in switchboard? If not. I suggest log a warranty call with hydrotherm and from what i experienced they should be able to help pretty quick. Also message them through face book if you have it.

Simon B
Simon B

Hi Dan

If you are on an off-peak power meter check to see if the tariff has been turned back on. It happens frequently that the ripple signal is not sent and power not turned on.

Otherwise call 1300 769 904 or 0401 545 412

For technical help

Tim S · Hydrotherm

I live in Ballarat area of country Victoria and am looking to replace an existing old gas HWS. We are Region 4 and the temperature can get down to below zero some mornings. How effective would the heat pump be and can it be supported in Victoria.

Tim

Renee

Hi Tim, I asked the same question recently as we are looking to move to a colder part of Australia. The hydrotherm bloke I spoke with indicated that they still work in colder areas, I think minus 5 was the limit (although I'd recommend calling them to check), but the efficiency would be less than in a warmer climate. Based on the savings we currently see in our hot water bills, I think a hydrotherm would still be better than a conventional heater in terms of efficiency, but I'd definitely recommend you call them and have a chat about it.

Hydrotherm   DM

Hi Tim, Renee is correct, our system is rated to minus 5 degrees and all heat pumps do work more efficiently the hotter the ambient air temperature. What we'd recommend in your case Tim is that the system be set on timers to run only during the warmest part of the day, therefore running at it's most efficient and not during the cold parts of the day. We wouldn't be able to give a proper estimate to how much your hot water power bills would be reduced without knowing a lot more about your current system, but we would image it would be significant.

If you have anymore questions we'd be happy to have a chat, our number is 1300 769 904 or you can contact us at info@hydrothermhotwatersystems.com.au .

The Hydrotherm Team.

Tim S

Thanks Renee and team, I think that the heat pump solution would be the best answer for us and the advice about a timer seems to be borne out from other comments (maybe you should make it a built in option - after all its just a bit more programming and buttons!). My recollection in my past is that Hydrotherm were one of the original makers of wall mounted boiling water units: is that the case?

Tim

Shantelle
Shantelle · Hydrotherm

How much Warranty anf how long is the unit expected to last

Hydrotherm   DM

Hi Shantelle, Our systems have a 15 year pro-rata warranty on the tank, 5 year warranty on all parts (including the Panasonic compressor) and 2 years labour charges are covered. The expected life span of the systems are between 10-15 years. Please contact us on 1300 769 904 or at info@hydrothermhotwatersystems.com.au for more information.

Best Regards.

Maggie
Maggie · Hydrotherm

Our Hydrotherm was installed about 3-4 yrs ago , the problem I have is the is the alarm goes off regularly what would cause this? Margaret

Hi Maggie

Sorry I'm not a technician, just a residential user. I would suggest contacting Hydrotherm on PH: 1300 769 904. Best of luck.

Regards,

Hydrotherm   DM

Hi Maggie, The most likely cause would be an A5 Alarm. It's caused by an oversensitive pressure switch. To fix the alarm, please visit external link  . Otherwise as Greg said, you can call us at 1300 769 904 and we'd be happy to fix it over the phone with you in minutes.

The Hydrotherm Team

Dan · Hydrotherm

Hi there do these units need servicing! also can you tell me how many timers are on the hydrotherm? thank you

Regards

Hi Dan

I wasn't told anything about servicing; as far as I know once it's set up you leave it alone. It doesn't need periodic filling of the tank (which acts as a conductor to the inside copper tubing) that my Saxon system used to require.

I'm not really the person to ask regarding it's timers and other functions. It has an LED digital clock display and you can set the water temperature within certain parameters (generally recommended to leave it at 60 degrees). I know it has a timer but I haven't bothered reading about or using it. As with the previous system, its connected to an off-peak electricity tariff rate. As long as it works I'm not the sort of person's who's interested in fiddling with it.

Regards,

Renee

Hi Dan - my hydrotherm has recently had a 12 month service - which is complimentary! I received a comprehensive service report indicating which elements were checked and confirming no additional action was required - fantastic service in my opinion! In terms of timers, I think there are 4, from memory. I know that I have mine on a timer for morning and afternoon, but it also has another two timers that I don't use.

Shona C
Shona C

Hello Dan - My answer same as Greg's. I haven't touched it. I know there is a timer but because I am on continuous supply, I don't use it.

Hydrotherm   DM

Hi Dan, In terms of servicing, they can be arranged at service@hydrothermhotwatersystems.com.au. For general maintenance, we recommend that the PTR valve be tested every 6 months like any hot water system should. To find out how to do so, please visit external link  .

Our system comes with 3 built in terms and can be used to make full use of solar panel arrangements or having the system only run during times of the day when no one is home etc.

Hope this helps,

The Hydrotherm Team.

Brian
Brian · Hydrotherm

I'm looking for a heat pump for a pool - is this an option for this? - Is it possible to get a heat pump that can heat a pool and be used occassionally for a nearby shower

Bernien
Bernien

Not sure. Suggest you make direct contact with Hydrotherm . Gook luck on your quest.

Hydrotherm   DM

Hi Brian, no sorry we do not currently do pool pumps. Also unfortunately you wouldn't actually be able to have a heat pump that could heat the potable water for the shower and also the pool water because it's not possible to have two separate lines in the one system. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Regards, the Hydrotherm Team.

Chris Uren
Chris Uren · Hydrotherm

Hi my name is chris we have 6 people living here can you send us a brochure please

Hydrotherm   DM

HI Chris, you can download our brochure at external link . If you have any other questions, please give us a call at 1300 769 904 or email us at info@hydrothermhotwatersystems.com.au. Thank you.

Sally · Hydrotherm

What is the probable life span of this product and how it is being maintained?

Hydrotherm   DM

Hi Sally, the probable life span is between 10-15 years. Our systems have a 15 year tank warranty, 5 year for all parts and 2 years for labour. As far as maintenance, nothing is required from the customers side. Hope this helps! Regards, the Hydrotherm Team.

Sally

Is this australian made and do you have specialized maintenance team australia wide

moonies · Hydrotherm

Are Hydrotherm heat pump units available in Sydney (Sutherland Shire)?

Peter
Peter

Not sure I'm afraid. I'd google their website and ring or email their contact details. Regards Peter

moonies

Thanks Peter. Contacted them today. Not sure of all the details but will post when i do. They had some very good reviews on product Revoew and are substantially cheaper. :)

Get an answer from our members and Hydrotherm representatives

Select a listing for your question

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

Hydrotherm is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2023, 2018.