Hyundai Excel X3

6 questions from our users

michael g
michael gasked
Excel X3 (1995-2000)

have replaced roters/ capliers master cylinder back brake shoes drumes and cylinders. the systerm is air free been bled several times. when the peddle is pumped up it is nice nice and hard. the problem is when you start the car the peddle goes soft it doesent come back hard .their isnt any leaks.

Kym
Kymasked
Excel X3 (1995-2000)

Hi when my interior of my car heats up from the sun.my left side indictors stop working instead my temperature gauge goes up and down.then I'm not sure iff car is over heating or not.

Tony
Tonyasked
Excel X3 (1995-2000)

I've got a 98 x3 single can motor and I got a double ohc power steering set up but it doesn't seem to be able to be bolted to the single can in the same spot there's no casting holes for one except at the back of the block lower down. Did single cam motors ever have power steering?

gazz man
gazz manasked
Excel X3 (1995-2000)

How many belts does it have? As i have a very noisy belt.

Grace G
Grace Gasked
Excel X3 (1995-2000)

How do you change the cabin filter on an Excel X3? Everything I googled seemed to be for an Accent. Is it the same?

Grace G
Grace Gasked
Excel X3 (1995-2000)

I just brought a cheap '98 Excel. It's my first car and I'm not allowed to even think of driving it until my Dad goes through everything - he is a little worried . Any areas he should look at in particular? What are the most common area to need fixing/replacing/adjusting?

Alibongo
Alibongo

I can't think of anything specific to the excel, all in it's a pretty robust little car for what they cost. However, as with all cars the first checks should be seatbelts, then tyres, breaks and suspension. You want it to stop and steer properly. So make sure you have good quality tyres with good tread. You can roughly test the dampers (shockers) by bouncing each corner (google if you don't know what I mean). The rear shockies go more than the fronts on these. Also you can have a look at the shockies for oil leaks.
Breaks might best be left to a professional to check thoroughly but a visual inspection can be done on the fluid, lines, rotors and pads fairly easily. There shouldn't be too much play on the peddle, it's a light car with more than adequate brakes so should pull up straight and true without much effort and fuss. If it doesn't, get it looked at immediately.
Bushes, CV's etc will show up as weird noises and odd driving. These things handle pretty well so if anything is upsetting it and it's not driving easy go get it looked at. Same goes for knocks over bumps, clicks and clacks on full lock, squeels or grinding noises etc.. It should be smooth, stable and turn easy.
There's checks you can do to any car but I'll not go into them too much. If you're in doubt about anything it's doing, go get it looked at by a professional! :)

There's little things that excels suffer from which are annoying more than a safety issue and you'll only find out when it breaks. Like:
The lock barrels wear out so the key wont turn in the door locks. You can either get used to pulling the key back out a tiny amount until it turns or get it fixed.
The door handles snap. Yep, one day you'll go to open the door and it will snap and leave you standing there. When this happens, go in through the other door to get you home but replace BOTH door handles with new ones asap before the passenger side also snaps and you can't get in at all.
The dashboard ages and cracks. Not much you can do. If you have a dash mat it will help. (By the way, check under the dash mat if it came with one to see if it's cracked already).

So yea, I'm going on and on but short answer is -good cheap car, no major safety issues with the model I'm aware of, check usual service and wear items and you should be plain sailing.

Enjoy your mobile. :)

Get an answer from our members and Hyundai representatives

Hyundai Excel X3 (1995-2000)

Other Hatchbacks