Hyundai i40 VF

Hyundai i40 VF (page 2 of 2)

Don't buy the i40 Active, Buy the i40 Elite

Originally I was seeking value for money and looking at the i30, but its boot was too small for my golf clubs. I bought the i40 Active auto petrol sedan (with metallic paint, tining, mats, and it's huge boot) for $27,000 (including a Hyundai $1,000 rebate available to A-League, Carlton, Brisbane Lions, and Gold Coast Suns members; Google it).

In hindsight, I should have bought the i40 Elite which includes dual climate control, sat/nav, leather seats, push button proximity key, electric driver's seat, rear-view camera, better wheels, better brakes, better audio system, fog lights and rear privacy glass for an additional $5K (full retail, but realistically $4K). None of the Elite features was important to me, but in total they represent excellent value.

The Active is not a luxury car, but the Elite has many of the luxury options.
Value for money
I should have bought the i40 Elite

Engine Size2 litre petrol
BodySedan
How is the fuel consumption?

looks nice, kills petrol

It’s a looker, but in petrol form not a dynamo driver. If you want a mid-sized family wagon that isn’t styled for the bowling club, the fit-out and packaging make it worth a test drive. But if you want more dash for your cash, your time is better spent testing the diesel.
smooth sleek look
not very efficient

Engine Size4 cylinder
BodySedan

Is the 2L petrol engine powerful enough for family life? Realistically we don't do 4 + luggage road trips very often, and don't tow trailers very often either. How do you find the power of the 2 litre petrol engine for everyday driving? I've previously owned a 1999 Volvo V70 wagon with 2.5L 5 cylinder engine and that was *adequate* at best, but I'm aware that modern 4 cylinder engines are much smoother and powerful than engines from the 90s/noughties.
The engine is suitable for everday life.Handles city and country driving with ease. Quite quick off the mark at stop lights if that's your thing.

What do you do when your car key battery is flat. Can I change myself or do I need to come into a Service Centre?
Should be able to change it yourself, if not take it to where you bought it. If it's not a Hyundai dealer just go into one because they would know the most about them ✌Just did it myself a couple of says ago. There are a number of youtube videos on it. But is really straight forward. I was quoted $60 by the dealer where I bought my car. $10 to do it myself. The codes didn't reset (I don't think do unless you leave it without battery for a long period of time). Hope that helps.

Hi guys, could you please tell me from your first-hand experience, what's the fuel consumption like on turbo-diesel version of this wagon? It has got an advertised of 6 litres "on paper" but I'd like to know how this is affected when 7 people are in the vehicle with the air condition working at maximum on steaming Queensland roads. Anyone please?
There are a lot of variables there. I averaged 5.8 on a long trip with 4 people and luggage. However, my average consumption purely around town was 7.6 ltrs per 100km. The i40 premium diesel wagon has a 1.7ltr engine and has seating for 5, not 7.Wow thanks for your answer! Didn't realise turbo diesel doesn't come with 7 seats.. Appreciate the heads up! I am struggling to find a fuel efficient 7 seater, doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon lol.

i40 VF