Hyundai iLoad TQ-V (2008-Present)

Hyundai iLoad TQ-V (2008-Present) (page 2 of 5)

Great van

I love driving this Van, I have the diesel model and the van is amazing on fuel economy, comfort and to drive is just like driving a car, handles perfectly on the road within the suburbs and the highway, no issues getting up the ranges or overtaking, has good power for a 4 litre van.

Badge00
Date PurchasedApr 2012

Diesels don't last for Hyundai

A good van in a number of ways but after numerous blown turbos and typically corresponding with simultaneous engine failures in our fleet, DO NOT purchase if you are after any sort of longevity.
As per previous reviews expect around $13,000 plus for an engine and turbo replacement.
We are looking at alternatives that will go the distance.

BadgeiLoad
Date PurchasedJun 2010

Don't believe the hype, all those warranty promises mean zip!

After getting over the purchase of my new Iload which was exhausting to say the least, full of outright lies and total lack of consideration for my time and business commitments .ie false arrival dates and collection for hand over ie three fruitless journeys across Sydney. Finally the day came and I was off down the road in my shinny new van with poor suspension but overall ok for a work vehicle, not a Transporter but also not an Express if you know your vans..
Get to 1000km for its first check up which took 10mins. Had noticed some stains on driveway that I thought was the aircon dripping. Was diesel dripping, oddly not detected in the all important first check..? One week in dealership for new diesel pump replacement. Completely pull the front off my new van and dismantle half the engine. The nice new vehicle vibe suddenly evaporated! Now stuck 700km from home with no vehicle and no support from dealer or Hyundai. No loan car. A dozen phone calls that all end up with them passing me on to hold and there I stay. There have also been the "I will call you back after consulting whoever " at Hyundai and so far not one call back...By far the worst experience I have had in so much as there is an obvious culture of disingenuous behaviour in this company.

Badge40k
Date PurchasedAug 2017

Small businesses can not afford these problems

Iload diesel van, blew turbo & engine only to be told $13500 to fix it, always serviced, well kept and 200 k on the clock nothing for a diesel! Was told by numerous people these blow up all the time! Won't buy another diesel again, who can afford that? No small business can absorb this outrageous repair price.

BadgeIload
Date PurchasedDec 2014

Best van I've ever owned!

Hands down the best van Ive ever owned! The iLoad is so comfortable to drive, unlike cramped vans such as the Hiace. It is as close to a car as you will find and it handles long road trips - Brisbane to Melbourne with effortless ease. The barn door are an awesome option.

Date PurchasedMay 2012

This car has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Blown turbo at 126000, could not believe it, devastated, crap car now good car at the start. Going to cost $7000 to repair and motor to follow very soon been told. Thought i had a good car but no, absolute rubbish. Really upset, i have learned that i keep the car for warranty then it goes. Can not afford the risk next time with no warranty.

Date PurchasedJul 2010

It's left a bad aftertaste.

Nothing but problems with this Van
Purchased new 2013.
1, EGR valve replaced in first 2 months
2, Loss of power and plumes of dirty dark smoke some sort of issue with turbo pipe?
3, Rear right leaf spring section broke (not from overload).
4, Rusting around rear window.
5, Complet breakdown with load banging noise, now power at 70k km. $12500 fix.
6, Oil leak 80k km.
overall I did like the van but with the issues I've had, it's left a bad after taste.
I'd consider buying one again but in no way would I purchase one of these second hand without any warranty or let alone keep it out of the warranty period.
As far as vans go yeah it was comfy and drove well but the build quality isn't as good as the Hiace..... now maybe I'll go back to one of those. O what a feeling.... Toyota.

BadgeH1
Date PurchasedApr 2013

Probably the worst vehicle purchase I ever made, after thinking its the best van ever made!

Bought a 2010 iLoad brand new and at 50000km the engine seized up.
Coming to do a warrantee claim we had to learn that Hyundai would not honour it because we used an oil grade (which is an industry standard) that did not comply to their fine print.
They wanted to charge me $12500+ for a new engine which was also beyond reasonable.
My brand new iload is still standing under a tarp (for a few years now) as I do not have the money to purchase a new engine.
To my great shock, I also found that this is a quite common problem with iload petrol engines, and all the re-manufacturers informed me. Apparently a design error in getting oil through to the top I believe.
Well, it doesn't stop there either. Looking into reconditioning the engine, I found that spares were not available to fix my engine, and that people were queuing to buy re manufactured engines from people who are importing them. Well, needless to say, I'm never timely enough to find out about these engines before they are all sold, hence my iLoad under the tarp. To crown it all, you cannot find this motor anywhere in the world, that would fit my iLoad, as this is apparently the only place they were sold, or so I believe.
I paid good money for my van, and I'm a responsible driver. This should not have happened to me and so many other iload drivers. What a shame!

Badgecrew
Date PurchasedJan 2011

Bought new. Been mistreated. Still running

Best work vehicle by far. Used to run hiluxes with nothing but problems. Bought diesel manual and have done 250000 since new with regular services. More than enough power to tow tandem work trailer while being fully laden. Wouldn't buy a ute again. Maybe just flukes a good one but I'd consider having rebuilt and getting another 100000

Date PurchasedFeb 2010

Avoid series 1 Hyundai Iload Diesel

The series 1 iload and IMAX with Diesel engine 2008 to 2012.

Two blown turbos and a blown engine after 200k. Expect better from a Diesel engine.
Hyundai is a throw away vehicle after 5 years plus.
Korean cars stay away.
Hyundai corrected the problem with their series 2 engines from 2013 onwards.

BadgeCommercial van
Date PurchasedMar 2010

iLoad POS

At 250k kms oil pump failed and big end wasn't far behind. Big dollars to replace engine but due to internal setup for my business had no choice. Am now about to install TURBO number 4, yep no 4. Hyundai wont acknowledge any problems and dealerships who are rude, expensive, ignorant,aggressive and always blame the owner. I service my vehicle every 5k and use oil that exceeds Hyundai specs. When 1st turbo blew it sounded like a jet engine. Just inside warranty dealer refused saying that I used wrong oil and didn't get serviced by dealer. Oil rep said his company would be happy to stand in the box and back their oil. Rang Hyundai HQ every day and finally they accepted warranty. Just to annoy me they kept my van for 4 weeks (no income for me).Will replace injector seals every 40k. Never buy Hyundai again!!!

Date PurchasedOct 2008

2010 diesel Hyundai will send you Broke

Regularly serviced. Just out of warranty. 90 k. Head gasket was gone. 3.5k $. . Throttle switch has gone $700.
Now engine revving on its own. Flat spotting. Loosing oil.
Rang Hyundai dealers and non dealers. Turbo on its way. Engine can be on its way. Rang hyon in cambelfeild and they deal with these all time. Said they rebuild 3 a week and prone to blow bottom end. Engines and turbos. At 100k.
Was surprised I wasn't blown yet. Never going to touch a Hyundai ever again and tell everyone via social media. This has sent me broke.

Date PurchasedMar 2010

good car till the engine blows

Don't touch these, the engines blow up and cost a fortune. Im a mechanic and look after mine and it still blew up I replaced the engine and turbo myself and it still cost me $8000.

Mine was an issue with the combustion pressure passing the injector washers and entering the oil jacket. This caused the oil to be contaminated and then blocks the oil pick up. I don't know if changing the injector washers a bit more regularly would stop this but then getting the injectors out is a whole new challenge.

So my recommendation is don't get one of these.

I got out of Toyotas because of Rust issues and I wanted a safer van from front impact for my wife to drive. My wife will only drive Autos so thats VWs out because their autos blow up constantly. So we will stick with the Iload for now until it blows up next.

Date PurchasedMar 2013

It was great van, but but engine failed and support is not there.

Similar to many, have 2010 van since new and only last week engine lost all oil and screeched. Had it towed to service people and they said because I overextended the service time, they could not come to agreement with Hyundai and suggested insurance. When they spoke to insurance they blamed the lack of servicing and maybe driving issues by owner. !00% blame passed by manager (Booths'- Gosford) onto myself. Cost of fixing - $20k. What they charged me for a full 90k service (12000km ago) including thorough inspections and diagnostics and did not inform me of any problems with the engine or oil back then, yet cause of engine failure now was black sludge and metal particulate due to wear and supposed bad maintenance !!!!! Local mechanics also have turbo diesel iloads queuing waiting to be fixed. Now how coincidental is that.

Date PurchasedJan 2010

2012 iLoad TQ3VL25D33

The good:-
- Generally drives well (except wheel spin, see below).
- Reliable (except for the lights, see below).
- Pretty good on fuel (diesel).
- Double doors are a real plus.
- Air Con is damn good.

The Bad:-
- Passenger seat belt is difficult to engage as the buckle pushes into the locking mechanism, which in turn pushes down into the seat. Bad for everyone, worse if you are on the large side. Usually lots of swearing about this when the passenger attempts to buckle up.
- Remote fob keeps locking / unlocking the door when in your pocket. A pain when you are trying to load unload.
- Did I mention wheel spin? Jeez unless fully loaded the van wheel spins like buggery. There are some driveways around the Sydney North shore that I simply won't try and drive into.
- Lights. I have owned many cars and vans in my life and I can honestly say that I have never changed so many bulbs across all the other vehicles as I have in this van. Every single bulb has been changed. The rear brake and revers on passenger side have both been changed 3 times. When behind an iLoad watch out for how many having rear lights out.
- Service cost is a bit on the nose ... synthetic oil by the damn gallon every time a service happens doesn't help!

Would I buy another one .... probably not. I have a mate with the petrol version. His advice "stay clear unless you can afford the turbo diesel".

Date PurchasedMar 2012

Great van! Shame about not having cruise control

Good Van, reliable, good on diesel, plenty of power, shame they don't have cruise control, and the self locking doors need turning off at the dealership cos they are very annoying, apart from that it's really good tradesman van. Had a Mercedes Vito before this and had nothing but trouble with it and spares were so expensive it was a joke! Your've been warned! Go the Iload any day of the week!!!!

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

A good work vehicle

Driving the Iload is comparable to the VW caddy I used to own - the drive is smooth, has enough power to carry all my gear (I got the crew van version so has additional 3 seats also for the kids) - and I also got a towball fitted - it pulls a trailer like its not even there.. power to fuel economy to performance this car certainly gives the VW a run for its money. costing way less (both in purchase and service pricing) it still is the perfect hybrid between work and home life (which was our main requirement)

The only down side to the vehicle is that the cruise control system is not well designed and has an annoying lag before and after the 'desired' / set speed which seems to ride the transmission and over and under rev at times - not like a holden system (for example) that once set, stays there - no matter what.

I have still yet to have an annoying vibration rattle rectified which as I have read on some forums can be traced to a heat protection plate on one of the engine or exhaust components - the mechanics have yet to trace this and solve it;

the interior system is fine - although the climate control would benefit from being digital / self monitored as its hard to find a balance on the manual dial for the temp control.

I had some issues early on with the stereo; but these were sorted out independently from the dealership as the stereos in these vehicles are a 'module' system that is manufactured and brought in (rather than being produce by Hyundai)

there are a couple of features I miss from the VW that the Iload doesn't have
- no temp (inside / outside) on the dash display
- the electric windows are auto only on the driver door - and its auto down only - not auto up - and the remote doesn't do anything to the window control (on the VW, if you hold lock or unlock down, you can raise or lower both front windows as much or as little as you want)

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Best work van Ive owned.

130,000 k's strong as the day i got it, Diesel auto never missed a beat, but it has always been serviced on time every time, drives like a V6 car,hauls weight like it doesn't know its there and is comfortable to drive with great bucket seating. Out of the Millions sold I suppose some have to have problems but you rarely hear from people who don't have problems.

Date PurchasedJan 2008

Hyundai iLoad Dies after 130,000km With Known Problem by Hyundai

Purchased this van with 10,000km and still under warranty, have had no major problems and been very happy with the way it drives and fits gear in.
Van went from 100km per hour to nothing with no warning, had it towed to my mechanic who after two days couldn't work out the problem and had it towed to Col Crawford Hyundai. They were apparently way to busy and didn't look at it for 2 weeks, after spending 10 minutes on it they notified me it needed a new engine.Calls from my mechanic to find out the reason went un-answered.
I've contacted several wreckers who all said the iLoad engine has major manufacturing problems and they sell these engines at a premium price.
Van was worth nothing not going so have had to spend $12,500 to get a reconditioned engine put in from Col Crawford, there mechanic also admitted these engines do have a build problem and they have replaced several over the years.
4 weeks on and I'm still waiting for my iLoad and to get back working.

Date PurchasedNov 2011

Decent van - worth a chance

Purchased a dealership used Hyundai iLoad in manual with under 30,000km. I was set on getting another Hiace but decided to give the iLoad a chance. It has enough power, good access with the rear double doors and has no major problems so far. Few minor issues which the dealer sorted out with warranty.

Date PurchasedAug 2016