Hyundai Tucson

26 questions from our users

Geoff B
Geoff Basked
Tucson

what weight and length caravan can be towed easily by a 2018 hyundai active x 4 cylinder auto tucson

Angelo
Angelo

Tow a caravan with a 2 litre Tuscon???
Maybe going downhill be ok but going up some of the hills around Eden etc you be going backwards.
Tuscon is a great car but it's towing capabilities
are very limited. Maybe jet skis, a small trailer or the kids cubby house be ok, but even a small caravan will kill your car.
Cheers!

Brian H.asked
Tucson

I have 2017 2WD petrol have used it to tow my caravan 1470kg have found the ball weight of van 140kg exceeds the cars capacity. Is this factual, if so is there a kit available. Brian

Swany

Hi Brian yes you are over the towing towball weight capacity which im pretty sure on that vehicle is 120 kg ball weight , sorry i cant help you with your original question however i was wondering how well your tucson tows your caravan up hills as I'm about to purchase a caravan myself and did not want to change my vehicle, any feedback would be appreciated.
Cheers swany

Brian H.

Petrol engine 4cyl very underpowered I wish I'd gone for the larger Hyundai 6cyl. Thanks for your ball weight info. Brian

Jody
Jodyasked
Tucson

Do Hyundai active x have timing belts

Nahaz

According to many reports on Google, As of 2013, all Hyundai engine models have a chain. ... Unlike a timing belt that needs to be replaced after a certain amount of travel due to wear, the chain doesn't require special maintenance or replacement at a certain interval

Lana
Lanaasked

Can a 2019 tow a caravan with TARE 2145 GTM 2415

Jenny B.
Jenny B.asked
Tucson

I have a 2009 Hyundai tuscon city automatic and it is stuck in 3rd gear how do we fix this please. We have replaced a part on top of the auto box but its stuck in that gear.

DavidN
DavidNasked
Tucson

I am a little at lost with Lane Keeping Assist. What is the difference between LKA, LFA and LKAS? I hear LKA is the ping-pong lane keep assist that tends to be over-zealous and doesn't keep car in the middle of the lane. Lane Follow Assist (LFA) on the other hand, keep car in the middle of the lane. Is it true? What does Tucson come with? Does Tucson's system keep the vehicle in the middle of the lane?

John K.
John K.asked
Tucson TL (2015-2020)

is the Tucson allwheel drive?

Nahaz

There are models with and without AWD John.

graham
grahamasked
Tucson TL Highlander AWD, 1.6L Petrol, Automatic (2015-2021)

I might be going crazy but Im pretty sure my Highlander (2017) version has the idle stop and go feature however when I went to drive the car today it was running a little weird and I realised that the feature wasnt engaging. So I have two questions 1) does it have the feature ( or Im losing my mind) 2) if it does is there a button I may have accidentally pressed to turn it off or do I need to speak to my dealer? Thanks

Gregory
Gregoryasked
Tucson

I bought a new Tucson Active X two weeks ago.
When I picked up the car from Hyundai Werribee I noticed it was badged just as TUCSON. I inquired why was it not badged as TUCSON ActiveX? I was told that was how it was... but I noticed today on the road that there are Tucsons badged as TUCSON ActiveX.... how di I know that I have a Tucson ActiveX and not just a Tucson ?

Mal

If you have leather seats, 8' satnav, 18" wheels, you have an Active X, the older models have the logo on the back.

Rod & Marion E.asked
Tucson TL (2015-2020)

Do others have problems moving the transmission from park? Mine constantly gets stuck in park, it eventually moves after a couple of mins

Jane46
Jane46

Hi Rod & Marion,
No I don’t mines a manual....

JSB
JSB

Hi Rod, we don’t have that issue at all, ours is a 2019 highlander, automatic.
Have you contacted your nearest Hyundai service centre to query about it? Hopefully it can be fixed for you, best of luck.

Rod & Marion E.

Thanks for that, Hyundai has tried to fix it but so far only partly successful

Malasked
Tucson

Hi, we have just purchased a 2016 highlander, question is, how do you set up hands free phone calls, the owners manual is obviously very generic as it shows a extra button on the steering
Wheel and details how to set up but this model has not got this function. I have also searched internet for info and they also demonstrate how to, but with the same setup as the owners manual. Thankyou in advance

cnwrailfan

Simple answer is you cannot set up hands free on Tucson Highlander before 2018/2019 model! Yes, the manual is generic and very misleading. We did know this before purchase. But here is the heads up. You can have it retrofitted inc installation for $795. Contact your local dealer or Emma at Ferntree Gully Hyundai. This can definitely be done.

cnwrailfan

I should have included that the upgrade to get hands free is in fact Apple Car Play, the same as on the newer and non-Highlander models. Well worth it if you intend to keep the car or use your phone a lot.

Lindsay
Lindsayasked
Tucson

If i bought a 2 litre awd diesel hyundai tucson active x 2019, got new springs to increase ground clearance by 30 mill, how would this car perform 4 x 4 driving. Thanks Lindsay

cnwrailfan

Maybe OK on rough roads, but definitely not on serious off-road use as it IS NOT a 4x4 but rather AWD or All Wheel Drive

Ashpash
Ashpashasked

Looking at buying 2014/15 model
Can I fit a capsule and 2 forward facing car seats comfortably

cnwrailfan

I have a 2017 model and don't know if they are the same. If you have the capsules, do a test fit. If not buy capsules and baby seats that specify compatibility.

John T.
John T.asked
Tucson TL Highlander AWD, 1.6L Petrol, Automatic (2015-2021)

Good car spacious only problem is when temperature outside is around 30 degrees if I have been driving for a hour or more when I put my foot on accelerator there is a squeaking noise does not do it all the time only now and than car is only 6 months old anyone have this problem

Karah .B
Karah .B

Take a video of the problem then take the car back to Hyundai. They are really good with fixing any issues. Especially if you have evidence. My Audio unit went crazy ( radio channels kept randomly changing ) so they did a software update and that fixed the issue and it was all covered under warranty

Swanyasked
Tucson

Hello I've just purchased 2017 active x 2.0 petrol just looking for feed back on towing small van if it's ok to tow approx 1200 - 1300 kg without to many problems .
Thanks Shayne

Shaneo
Shaneo

Hi, It should tow it ok hills might hurt a little, although the Hyundai Tuscon only has a tow ball weight of 120kg, this is how hard the Van it pushing down on the tow ball, as long as the van is lower than that. They have a towing capacity of 1600kg, you are towing well within its limits. You might find the Van to have a 130kg ball weight which would be illegal.

Swany

Thanks Shaneo for your help very much appreciated .
Cheers swany

Betty
Bettyasked
Tucson

Does the 2017 Tuscon 1.6 need synthetic oil and if so how often for oil changes?

robert
robertasked
Tucson

when must the timing belt of tucson elite be done?

darkerheart

hi.from my research they changed from a timing-belt to a timing-chain in 2010.so i would think that a chain would last a long time.to be sure i,d ask the service department.good question,i forgot to research that when i purchased ours so i ll be asking too.

Dave

Hi, if it is a chain you can forget about it........ my last car was 24yo Nissan 2.4Ltr U13 Ti and it was on it's original chain at 240,000kms. Most belts are 100,000 km life anyway.

Partydip
Partydipasked
Tucson TL (2015-2020)

Ive recently bought a 2017 2.0Ltr Diesel Highlander, I'm now considering a caravan. Is any one else pulling a van with this model? What size? How's it handle?

Lyn

No sorry. Hope you find someone that has.

darkerheart

just took our camper-trailer for the first time.it is 1100 kg fully loaded and the diesel 2.0 handled it no problem.fuel economy went from 6.3 to 8.2.you can only tow 1600kgs so a big van is out of the question.also keep an eye out for the tow-ball weight.

Mark P
Mark Pasked

Hi

I am having the common issue of lag / gearing indecisiveness at low speeds with my Hyundai MY18 Highlander Tucson. 1.6L turbo. Dealer says I have to "learn" how to drive it.
Wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a solution.

Mark

Lyn

Hi Mark, I have the Tucson Active automatic, it seems to drive well for my needs and haven't had any problems with it so far. Changes gear and accelerates well. You may need to ask someone with the same model. Good luck. Lyn.

Dave

They might have a point....... all turbo's will have some lag....... maybe there is a way of controlling lag when the revs drop - try using the manual shift to manage the revs and hold the ratio (if you have the 6sp auto). Or use 'sport' mode (it will hold each ratio longer than the normal mode). If you have the DCT, then may your god help you (=I haven't a clue). Best.

Dave

It seems Hyundai have the answer to the DCT love/hate issue........ the new 2018 models have 6sp or 8sp auto gearboxes on the turbo models. They also have more kit filtering down to the base models. So if anyone hasn't learned how to tame their DCT models yet, maybe the 018-019 Tucson/Santa Fe has enough goodies to tempt a trade?

FrankieB
FrankieBasked
Tucson TL (2015-2020)

i have recently purchased a 2017 DCT 1.6l turbo Tuscon Elite. Fantastic car, comfy, etc however just wondering why you can't tow before 2,000km on the ODO and while our driveway is not that steep, the car beeps saying there's a steep incline and to put foot on brake. has anyone else had this? I debated over getting the turbo...wondering now whether I should've stuck with the standard 2.0 FWD.

Grahame K.
Grahame K.

Sorry FrankieB that I can't solve your problem. Surely the good people at Hyundai can help. I love the turbo diesel. Tows my large a'van quite well.

Get an answer from our members and Hyundai representatives

Hyundai Tucson