InsureandGo Australia Questions & Answers

298 questions from our users

Eileen

Eileenasked

InsureandGo Australia

I purchased a Gold Policy with InsureandGo on 22nd January 2020 for travel to Canada on 19th September for 3 weeks, the flight has been cancelled and a credit deferred for 24 months, can I defer any part of my insurance policy for even 12 months as I have another trip booked for 2021 which hopefully might go ahead?

Mark Spartalis
Mark Spartalis

Hi Eileen, we asked for a part credit and was met with basically " we don't give credits" I would suggest a deferral will be met with a similar reply. Possibly the amount of claims that InsureandGo have on books at the moment, due to Covid19, has seem them go into damage control in relation to pay-outs and customer relations.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Eileen, I will contact you privately to discuss an option that may be available to you. Thanks, Anna

Richard

Richardasked

Hi
I have Insurance with Insureandgo , Now
I get correspondence with Tick insurance .
are these two companies the same company?
Regards Richard Szekely

Ant Q.
Ant Q.

According to the Tick insurance website they are both under the same company. Quote: "This insurance is underwritten by Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited, ABN 49 000 525 637, AFSL 240816. Mitsui Sumitomo has appointed Mapfre Insurance Services Australia Pty Ltd, ACN 140 219 594 (InsureandGo) as its authorized Representative to deal with this insurance product."
You will notice that the same customer rep (Anna J.) tries to address customer complaints there also.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Richard, good question, and thanks for your input Ant. We are separate brands, but underwritten by the same underwriter, and we're both part of the same parent company. Thanks, Anna

Paula O.

Paula O.asked

International Travel Insurance - Gold

Hi, we recently settled a clam And received an amount from insure and go and we received a voucher from a resort with 12 month expiry being March 2021. If at that time we are still unable to leave Australia can we claim that voucher on the insurance? Given it can’t be used? Thanks.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Paula, thanks for you patience with this question. If it turns out that your loss does become irrecoverable as the credit note cannot be used, then you are welcome to reopen your claim. Please bear in mind that all of the normal requirements will remain. So for example, you will need to reach out the provider and see if they can extend or refund the credit note first. I hope this helps. Thanks, Anna

Paula O

Paula Oasked

International Travel Insurance - Gold

We purchased gold cover last year for a trip to Bali in July. We can claim the difference between the Airline refund and After excess reductions I s about $100. If we don’t make a claim do we have any option of a partial voucher for the cost of the travel insurance?

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Paula, I have sent you some further information on an option that you may be eligible for if you choose not to claim, and instead decide to cancel your policy. If you choose to claim, it sounds like you are eligible to claim (although only the claims team are qualified to give a decision on your claim after considering all details of your claim), but please remember that your standard excess will charge, unless, when you purchased, you chose to reduce your excess to $0. Thanks, Anna

Wendy

Wendyasked

International Travel Insurance - Gold

Was just wondering as we have an annual multi trip policy taken on 27 Dec 2019 what credit you are giving if no claims are made .

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Wendy, good question. I'll follow up with you via private message to explain an option that may be applicable for you. Thanks, Anna

Cheryl East
Cheryl East

I was asked to give a review so I did on the bad services I have been given so far. If you don't want people to give a review don't ask!

jules

julesasked

InsureandGo Australia

We had a policy to go to Bali which we bought last year. Couldn't go. Can we ask for a refund or credit? Used them heaps but never claimed! Thanks

Maria
Maria

I would ask for a refund. Who knows when you will be able to use credit. They will probably deny you claim like they do with everyone else but it seems people are having some luck getting their money back from afca (but you need to put in your claim to insure and go first). I am not an expert though. Maybe have a look at the insure and no go Facebook page

Emilie
Emilie

I guess it will depend on the date you paid for the policy and whether your cancellation or deferment of travel was due to Covid 19 declared as "a pandemic". A lot of policies have discredited claims related to pandemics.It would be good to follow the above advice from Maria of approaching both Insure & Go, as well as AFCA. Emilie

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Jules, I will follow up with you about an option that you may be entitled to. I would also like to confirm that each person's case varies, and so there will be many customers with cases that won't get a positive result through AFCA. Thanks, Anna

bwhiteroad

bwhiteroadasked

InsureandGo Australia

We submitted a claim based on cutting our European trip short due to the COVID 19 outbreak. Whilst away on our trip the outbreak escalated resulting in Italy & Spain going into lockdown & the Australian government issuing a warning to return home. We did this thinking we’d be covered as we were told by a customer service officer prior to our departure that as we’d purchased our gold policy prior to COVID 19 being declared a pandemic we would be covered.
We have subsequently now been told we were not covered & our claim has been refused leaving us several thousand dollars out of pocket. We had used your company several times over past years thinking we were using one of the more reputable companies only to find out our faith was misplaced.

Anthony
Anthony

I have no idea why your claim was refused and would like to know. I was told when I enquired before I even commenced the trip that as my insurance policy was taken out before the pandemic I would be covered. I am wondering if the fact that you were already overseas if that had something to do with it. If you get an answer I would be most interested to know. I could only comment online based upon my own experience.

Jay

No claim can be refused without adequate reason, and that reason has to be stated in the official policy booklet. So, where are your policy terms...you probably had it emailed to you. (the policy is different now, as it is morphing as covid morphs. You have to find your original.)
Then find out the exact reason, and do not accept that reason unless it is YOU who made the misake, that you misunderstood or understood and still continued to travel. It must be black and white, or else it's grey....if it's grey they should have a very good reason for cancelling, or take your complaint higher.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Bwhiteroad, if you were advised by a member of our team that you would be covered for the situation you claimed for, I am able to investigate this for you. Please provide me with your claim number so I can look into this on your behalf. Thanks, Anna

Simon R.

Simon R.asked

InsureandGo Australia

Why is your company not refunding customers for corona virus issues ,
when all other travel insurance company's seem to be refunding without question??

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Simon, I'm sorry but I can confirm we're not offering refunds, although we are not the only insurer doing this. I will follow up with your via private message to see if you are eligible for another option. Thanks, Anna

Carolyn
Carolyn

I paid for Insurance for a trip that didn't happen, They gave me a credit off my next holiday, got a whole $3.89 What a joke this Company is

Maria R.asked

InsureandGo Australia

I can't get on to claims by Phone for months now it will not answer when you get there it turns off, the online form is confusing I need to speak to someone , I Travel about three times a year and picked Insureandgo after reading that it said Choice recommended it , now I am sorry I went by Choice.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Maria, I'm sorry for the delays you've experienced, and I'd like to help. If you send me your claim number via private message, I will follow up on your case on your behalf. Thanks, Anna

Maria R.

Hi Anna, thanks for answering ,I have been trying to ring to get a claim in without success as of now I have not got a claim No, the reason I need to speak to someone is this I payed Helloworld southport for accommodation and as we can't go Helloworld said the hotels don't refund the money so they gave me a receipt for the money to claim. I have been lucky to have never needed to claim for anything before so I have tried the online form but it is a bit confusing, Thanks Maria.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Maria, yes, I would definitely include your above comments in your claim, along with the receipt, showing the cost is non refundable and hasn't been credited or refunded. Thanks, Anna

Jayasked

InsureandGo Australia

wow...I just went to lodge my claim, and noticed that the Insure & Go online claims website was NOT secure, the security certificate ran out on 2nd June. So it's very very dangerous to lodge a claim, which includes copies of passports, copies of receipts which may have credit card numbers, names and addresses, dates of birth etc....
It's appalling that during this high octane time of claims, your website is not secure!! I will not claim while this is the case. I rang your customer service and found the girl quite unappreciative of the situation. She said 'yes there's a technical issue.' I wonder why Insure and Go is allowing people to make claims online, when all their personal information is at risk??
Just check yourself. Go into claims, attempt to lodge a claim online, use your policy no, surname, dob, and on the first claim page...see it is Not Secure. I want to lodge a claim but I don't want to do it over the phone as I could barely understand the lady I was talking to. For such an i mportant claim I want to do it myself.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Jay, thanks for bringing this to our attention, my apologies for this. I have already shared your feedback with management. This matter will be taken very seriously and we will take the appropriate action: we value our customers' security and online privacy. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to lodge via email, or post, should you choose. Thanks, Anna

Marg

Thanks Jay. You are a very cautious man!
We had a frightening stressful experience lodging our claim online in April 2020. We spent days pdfing and uploading all vital documents and completing their online claim forms, and when we click the SUBMIT tab, the screen took us back to their Claims front page. We had a bad feeling ... we rang them immediately unfortunately the lines were so busy. We rang next day just to check whether our online claim and supporting documents were received, but we didn't receive any positive confirmation of our uploaded documents, etc. It was a total waste of our time and effort.
To cut the story short after a couple of weeks and numerous phone calls, following I&G Joy's kind assistance, we had to lodge via two emails for two separate section of the claim and on each section we were requested the same personal and travel docs.
I don't understand why I&G requested all these vital documents. I am familiar with "stolen identity" story. It will be hell if these documents fall into the wrong hands!!
I sincerely hope I&G will review and simplify their claim process especially protecting clients’ personal details. Preferably, after the approval of a claim, by crediting the money back to the credit card used to pay for the premiums. The insured names were already listed on all travel docs eg itinerary, e-tickets, etc. and surely there is no need for it.
Anyway, one would have to been extremely lucky to get his or her claim approved?
Good luck Jay

Jay

Thankyou Marg, I am a very cautious lady!
It is a very complicated claim, mine, and I'm loathe to do it over the phone, with....sorry....a Philippino lady whom I can't understand! I prefer to ensure the claim is lodged properly with no misunderstandings. I'm not in the slightest bit racist, but I was angry that I had to keep saying 'I'm sorry I don't understand you, could you speak slower...etc, to a person whom I hoped was going to help me lodged a claim for many thousands of MY dollars, and to whom I'd paid hundreds to protect my cancelled holiday.
She, getting very annoyed with me, said "You can either do it with me, or do it online, there's no other way." She was most unsympathetic. She probably doesn't get paid enough to be sympathetic.
With Austrlalians in the grip of economic crisis, many having lost their jobs (me included, I'm an adult painting teacher, and clearly cannot teach any classes while there are limitations on getting together and social distancing)...you would THINK that Insure and Go would hire Australians to do the call centre management, with at least some that spoke in a manner which could be clearly understood.
Secondly, as an Australian company, apparently, you would also think I & G had some sympathy for Australians who had lost many hundreds, or in my case thousands of dollars, to overseas travel. Nope. the Operator said, 'oh well, I've told tech, try again on Friday.'.
I am not going to submit my passport online to some dodgy uncertified web page, for just anyone to hack, or next time I want to go overseas...lets face it, that maybe some time, ..... to find that my passport has been compromised and my NEXT holiday jeopardised by Insure & Go's lack of security within their own website!!!

I'm absolutely stunned.
thankyou Anna for responding in a very generic way. ....taken seriously, appropriate action...value our customer's security,...bla bla bla.....
LEt's see if you really do - let's see if you close down your claims online page, and if you REALLY DO value our privacy, or if you continue to allow unsuspecting people to lodge their claims online without any security certificate, just because it saves your company dollars by hiring Australians to take the appropriate measures to secure your website or take claims calls. Because it won't be you who suffers. It will be us. Again.

Sharon

Sharonasked

InsureandGo Australia

So under consumer protection law if a service cannot be provided then a refund must be given and as insureandGo cannot provide insurance cover in another country if you are not able to travel to that country due to restrictions issued by the Australian Government. I encourage people to go to the ACCC and lodge complaints through the travel ombudsman for refunds under consumer law, the more complaints the better!

Dissatisfied
Dissatisfied

Appreciate the reminder Sharon. Definitely a worthy course of action.
Cheers

Janice R
Janice R

Thanks Sharon...Even though my loss of funds are low compared to other poor people who have lost hundreds to this disgusting company,I will be contacting every complaints (except for theirs,who didn't bother to reply)department I can find as no way should they be getting away with us all gifting them our hard earned money.

Sue Barrett
Sue Barrett

We have paid 1800+ on our policy!! No response!!

Christopher T

Christopher Tasked

InsureandGo Australia

We purchased round the world tickets for travel from 7 August 2020 to 12 October 2020.
We then purchased travel insurance from InsureandGo Australia on 22 February 2020.
As the airlines we are travelling with have cancelled their flights during this travel time we would like a refund on our travel insurance. This is not a claim, it's a request for a refund.
The trip was cancelled through no fault of ours, nor at our request. It seems unfair that the insurance company can keep our money, especially as there is absolutely no risk involved to them because we are not travelling.
Ernst

Brian Williamson

We have been trying for a couple of months. At the moment Insureandgo are only offering pro rata credits to people who are travelling before 18th June 2020 as that is the date the Australian Government has banned overseas travel to. So until this useless Government passes another bill Insureandgo go won’t help anyone.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Christopher, I can confirm that we are working by section 475 of the Biosecurity Act 2015 (Cth) which declares that a human biosecurity emergency exists. Section 7 of the Declaration provides the instrument is in force for 3 months from the date of registration of the instrument (18 March 2020 - when international travel restrictions began), meaning it will end on the 17th of June 2020. However, this period may be extended. But unfortunately, it means that for now, travel beyond that date has not been cancelled due to Government travel restrictions. Thanks, Anna

Elle

And yet you tell people that have multi trip policy they cannot book any travel and be covered under their original policy because covid is now a known event - even though they took out their policy before the cut off date.
Your company lies and lies and does anything they can to stop having to pay out 1 cent yet they have kept every ones policy money!

Brenny

Brennyasked

InsureandGo Australia

We purchased a Gold Cruise travel insurance policy, including cover for a pre existing condition, on 12th July 2019 for a Kimberley cruise from 4th June 2020 to 25th June 2020. We have now had confirmation that this cruise will go ahead on 28th May 2021. Are we able to hold over our policy until that date as quite obviously in July 2019 we had no idea there would be a pandemic in December and to expect people to foresee that so that they can cancel their policy within 14 days is ludicrous.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Brenny, I'm afraid we can't offer a change of dates or put the policy on hold. However, I will follow up with you via private message about an option we have that may suit your needs. Thanks, Anna

Elleasked

InsureandGo Australia

Has anyone had any response about complaint to Australian Financial Complaints Authority?

Brian Williamson

No. The ACCC doesn’t give a stuff about the average person.

Brenny

Brennyasked

Di M
Di M

Yours is a reasonable request. In my opinion this company could have avoided the immense customer backlash had they agreed to defer all policies not utilized.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Brenny, I replied to your other question, it seems this question is a duplicate. Thanks, Anna

Peter E.asked

International Travel Insurance - Gold (Annual Multi-Trip)

I purchased a medical cover on the 30 January 2020 to cover me for my trip to USA. The details of the cover have a start date of 06 June 2020 and an end date of 18 June 2020.
As I cannot travel because of government restrictions relating to COVID 19 I have had to cancel my trip. Tickets were provided at no cost so I did not seek travel insurance for them but as I am cancelling the trip prior to departure I am seeking a refund of my medical insurance. Advice I received is that if you haven’t yet started your trip, you may be covered for the Cancellation Costs under our policies sold before 4pm on 31 January 2020 (AEDT). However one of your sales reps advised that I failed to meet the 14 day cooling off period and so not eligible. I find this strange as there is a specific start and end date for the cover and as I cannot travel because of government restrictions after an epidemic then I should be able to get my full payment back.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Peter, I think there has been some confusion here. If you want to cancel your policy and get a full refund of the premium you paid, this will not be possible outside of the 14 day cooling off period. As a gesture of goodwill, we have recently began to offer partial credits on policies. Please let me know if you want more information on this. However, if you want to make a claim on your policy for costs associated with cancelling your trip before departure, (which, from your comments, it doesn't sound like you want to) it sounds like you are eligible, presuming the policy you purchased features this type of cover. Does this clarify things? Thanks, Anna

Hello Anna J.
This is a contract for the cover of medical expenses that might occur between 06/06/2020 and 18/06/2020 (dates are still in the future). How are you able to enforce the contract when certain circumstances beyond their control arise, making performance inadvisable, commercially impracticable, illegal, or impossible. (Would not force majeure conditions apply? The 14 day cooling off period would not apply in this case as an unforeseen subsequent event outside the control of the parties has made the contract impossible to perform, or has transformed performance of the obligations under the contract into something so radically different from that which the parties intended that it would be unfair to hold the parties to their obligations. This was a one off contract for that period only and was not covered by any travel insurance.
There are still 12 days to go before the policy would even come into effect so your 14 day cooling off period regarding when the payment was made is irrelevent to this contract. Again as I cannot travel because of government restrictions after an epidemic then I should be able to get my full payment back.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Peter, I understand your position, but unfortunately, we cannot offer full refunds on policies, I'm sorry. From the moment your policy was purchased, it provided cover, and therefore was being used up before the travel dates on your policy. An example of this is the cancellation before departure cover, whereby if you had needed to cancel your trip due to unforeseen injury or illness, you would have been eligible to claim the costs associated with cancellation. This is part of the reason we are unable to provide refunds or 100% credits. If you would be at all open to it, I would like to follow up via private message with some more information about our credits system. Thanks, Anna

Alleena

Alleenaasked

InsureandGo Australia

Hi my travel insurance was to start from yesterday 19 May for travel to Japan on this date. I received a partial credit from Webjet Exclusives for the tour deposit as the tour was cancelled and the other company that was involved with this tour by Webjet (being Tomato Travel) have emailed me to say that they would give us a partial refund within 2 to 4 months.
I bought my silver insurance on 18 January. Am I able to claim the difference that Webjet has shorted me in the credit - which is $400. Also not knowing what Tomato Travel is short refunding me are we covered for the shortfall as well?
Please advise.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Alleena, good question. Yes, as long as you have made reasonable efforts to and recover all funds possible from your travel providers. You are eligible to claim the shortfall between what you originally paid, and the value of the credits and refunds offered to you. Thanks, Anna

Jayasked

Hi there,
I have a gold cruise policy which covered our Europe trip for June/July, which of course I've cancelled. This trip was for an anniversary which will have passed, and as my business is now crashed due to covid, we will no longer be able to go to Europe at all. I booked it all myself. I had a lot of bookings, and although I asked via email, I still didn't get a clear answer. What about these ridiculous vouchers?
Some companies (airlines, some hotels) are offering vouchers in place of refunds. this is obviously unacceptable to me as I will never be able to use them. They have my money, and I want it back since I am not able to go. Ever. vouchers are more than useless to me. So can I claim for these losses as well?
I purchased this policy WELL before covid-19, back in June 2019.

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Jay, thanks for reaching out. We do ask that you try and recover all funds possible from your travel providers, and generally speaking, if you are offered a credit you should take it. If you are offered a partial credit, you are able to claim the shortfall between what you originally paid, and the value of the credit. However, since you have unique circumstances, such as the anniversary, that potentially render the credits unreasonable, I would urge you to mention the following in your claim: you were offered credits/partial credits for your travel, but you were travelling for an anniversary, and so the credits offered are unreasonable and cannot be used. This will enable your claims officer to consider this and make a decision on your case. I hope this helps. Thanks, Anna

Emilio B

Emilio Basked

InsureandGo Australia

We have an annual multi trip with pre-existing medical conditions approved for $ 1,619.26 policy MS/IG/304230/24564946. 08-Jan,2020 to 07 January 2021. We were only able to travel Jan.24,2020 and came back on 06 March 2020. On about 15 April,2020 I called Insure and Go to cancel our policy for the rest of the year because of Government travel restrictions and overseas countries lockdown due to Covid-19.
There is no risk for Insure and Go as we are not going to travel anymore and we were asking for a pro-rata
refund on the balance of our policy. Can we please get a refund for the remaining unused days.
Emilio Bernardo
emiliobernardo457@gmail.com

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Emilio, thanks for reaching out. Although we aren't able to give you a full cash refund or credit, we are able to effectively put your policy on hold. I will follow up with you via private message with more details specific to your case. Thanks, Anna

Chrisasked

InsureandGo Australia

Hi, I took out insurance for an Alaska holiday in August, which has been cancelled not only by Covid 19 but the cruise line as well. I have rang and also emailed to insure and go about a refund or credit on the 28th April, still have not heard from them. Very bad customer service. My policy number is MS/IG/305130/24351749 hope to hear from someone soon about refund as other companies have done the right thing.

Andrew G.
Andrew G.

I am awaiting a credit request approval now . 6 days ago they changed there mind and started doing credit requests so I can yes it when booking new trip after travel restrictions have lifted . Did you get a credit on your flights , cruise ?

Chris

We got a credit for our cruise still waiting to hear about flights. Thank you carol

Anna J.InsureandGo Australia

Hi Chris, if you don't hear back about your flights soon, please contact me via private message with your policy number. Thanks, Anna

Get an answer from our members and InsureandGo Australia representatives