InsureandGo Australia

InsureandGo Australia Questions & Answers (page 4)

Verifiedinsureandgo.com.au
JMH
JMH · InsureandGo Australia

Are we covered if our trip is cancelled due to cyclone activity? (Trip to North Qld island upcoming)

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hello JMH, I do apologise your question was missed. When you purchase a domestic policy with InsureandGo, you do have the option to purchase our Natural Disaster Upgrade, which provides Cancellation Cover prior to departure, if you cannot travel because a natural disaster has caused your travel service provider to cancel your pre-paid service and does not provide an alternative. This does not include natural disasters which were known at the time of purchasing this insurance however. Do let us know if this does not answer your question.

Kind regards,
Anna

Maureen Leverenz
Maureen Leverenz · InsureandGo Australia

Hi i purchased a 12 month policy in 2019 ( long before COVID) and when i login to obtain a refund i only receive a much lesser amount. Can you please advise why.

G. Matheson
G. Matheson

I'm not sure why your question was sent to me Maureen, but I can only advise that you ask InsureandGo for an explanation. If you're not satisfied with their answer then by all means, take it further. AFCA were successful in their intervention on my behalf but they do explain that they assess each case on individual merits. Good luck.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Maureen, thanks for getting in touch. The amount you can see in your account is the pro rata credit amount we are offering.

We cannot offer a 100% refund, because the policy was already providing cover, and being used up from the day it was purchased. Therefore since it a partially used, we are offering to partially refund it.

The pro-rata refund is based on how much of the policy was 'used up', essentially. Insurance is based on risk, and from the time you purchased your policy, we covered risk, such as "cancellation before departure" cover. This covers costs of your trip in case you need to cancel your trip before you leave due to unforeseen injury, for example.

Your policy was providing you with cover before your travel start date or the date on which you cancelled it – as mentioned above, in fact it was providing cover from the time it was purchased. So if, between purchasing your policy and your travel start date, you had needed to cancel your trip due to unforeseen illness or injury, you would have been able to claim.

In order to fairly work out what proportion of your policy was used in providing "cancellation before departure" cover, and thus, calculate the amount you are owed in refund, we used a formula that we apply to all customers. This calculation method is in line with the one laid out by the unbiased complaints authority body, The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). Please see their guideline formula here:
external link

Thanks for your input too, G. Matheson. For the benefit of other customers, I would like to confirm that whilst your AFCA claim was approved, as you say, each case is judged based on its own unique merits, and AFCA claims do not guarantee a finding in your favour.

Warren C
Warren C · InsureandGo Australia

Anna, I am following your instructions as you sent to Caryl (below), but after logging into my account and entering the “credit request”, I cannot see the amount of my pro rata credit as you suggested. Is it only displayed after entering “I accept”? If so, how can I get the amount displayed before pressing “I accept”? Also, can you confirm the pro rata credits apply to Gold Cruise policies?

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Dear Warren, I'm sorry if the amount is not showing in your account at the first stage of the process. I will send you a private message with some specific instructions on seeing the amount, and I will discuss in more detail validity period. Thanks, Anna

Matt H
Matt H · InsureandGo Australia

I want insure a shed that is on a seperate block of land to my house, it doesnt come under Home and contents policy.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Dear Matt, I'm afraid we are a travel insurer, and so unfortunately, I can't advise on your situation. Thanks, Anna

Caryl B.
Caryl B. · InsureandGo Australia

I cant see where to claim a credit for travel because of this covid curse and Singapore airlines gave full refund as they dont know how long before we can fly again as it will be over 12 months but I just want the credit as we certainly will be going to UK as mum lives there.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Caryl, if you are eligible for a pro-rata credit, you are able to see the amount of your pro-rata credit, and apply for it, by logging into your account on our website - please go to: external link
Please be sure to only enter the last 8 digits of your policy number where this information is requested. Once you're logged in, you should see a button that says "credit request". Clicking this will begin the process for you. Let me know if you need any further help.

Maryanne C. · InsureandGo Australia

I have recently begun my insurance claim through Insure and go. I need to know why my reply came from Tick Travel asking for documentation. they have yet to answer my email.
Please explain

Lynn
Lynn

I think they are the same company trading under different names and slightly different policies offering Travel Insurance through Mapfre Insurance Services Australia Pty Ltd. Dont hold your breath as they take forever to reply and probably will totally decline. Best of luck.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Dear Maryanne, I can confirm that whilst Tick and InsureandGo are two different brands with distinct offerings, we are both underwritten by the same underwriter, and part of the same parent company. In terms of getting a response, if you can share your ticket number with me, I will follow up on your request to get you a response soon. Thanks, Anna

Maryanne C.

Re: [InsureandGo Australia] Re: RE Claim Number: 120015625 Lodged in AMA – Additional documents submitted – DO NOT REPLY
I sent email asking what they specifically need me to now send as documentation

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Thanks for sending this over Maryanne, I followed up, and you have just been contacted with advice on how to move your case forward with us. I hope this helps. Thanks, Anna

Jeanette
Jeanette · InsureandGo Australia

On 26 Feb we took out Policy no MS/IG/304130/24880287 for a trip to W.A., then they extended the border closure dates, so we had to cancel everything. At 1.20pm on 24 Aug 20, I rang to cancel the policy as we would not need it.. I was advised that someone would ring or email, nobody has got back to us.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Jeanette, I'm very sorry about the delay you've experienced. I have been in touch with the team, and asked someone to contact you as a matter of priority. Thanks, Anna

Tony
Tony · InsureandGo Australia

I took out travel insurance on feb 4th 2020 ( pol no. MS/IG/304110/24741666 ) and the travel was cancelled .I have received full refunds for the holiday why am I not entitled to a refund for the insurance as I could not travel.
A.LAMERS

pdiddy
pdiddy

That's how insurance works Tony. The insurance is a product that you buy. You spend the money up front so that if something happens you get a refund on the holiday, not the insurance itself. The insurance companies have to make money or they go out of business. For example, they sell 10 policies for $100 each. 9 out of 10 people don't claim. 1 makes a claim for $500. The company pays out the $500 and is still $500 in front.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Good question Tony, and thank you for the helpful response pdiddy. Tony, you are entitled to a pro-rata credit for the unused portion of your policy, as your policy was in use before your travel dates. The credit is worked out on a pro-rata basis, based on how much of the policy was 'used up', essentially. Insurance is based on risk, and from the time you purchased your policy, we covered risk for cover, such as cancellation before departure cover, on all Silver and Gold policies. This meant that your policy was providing you with cover before your travel start date. In fact, it was providing cover from the time it was purchased. So if, between purchasing your policy and your travel start date, you had needed to cancel your trip due to unforeseen illness or injury, you would have been able to claim. In addition, there are administration and service costs associated with providing and administering your policy.

I have sent you some more information on the pro-rata credit we are offering Tony; hopefully you'll find it helpful.

Ebiz
Ebiz · InsureandGo Australia

We took out an annual insurance policy in December 2019 and managed 1 week in Africa in March. We left our main luggage in Kenya and crossed into Tanzania on safari. 3 days later we were advised to leave ASAP as Kenya had closed its border and Tanzania were about to do the same. We made a claim for extra expenses to fly from Tanzania to Johannesburg and then 3 nights accommodation at an airport hotel waiting for Qantas to change our departure date and find an available seat. We also had to pay to get our luggage home. Our claim was declined. We then went through a review and have just been declined again. This is so disappointing, you do the right thing and take out a policy and then Insureandgo do everything to avoid covering you.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

H Ebiz, I'm very sorry that your claim wasn't paid. If you are unhappy with the outcome of the review, you can further escalate your complaint by replying to the decision email you received, requesting your complaint be escalated to "Stage 2". I hope this helps. Thanks, Anna

Pinky · InsureandGo Australia

Well i guess im not getting my money back either for 2 covid cancelled holidays. I will never use the insurer again. You do the right thing and get insurance but get punished for it.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Pinky, I'm sorry that you weren't happy with your experience with us, but I would like to let you know about the pro-rata credit system we have, which would enable you to get a credit on one future policy with us. Have you been made aware of this option? I'm happy to send more information if you are interested. Thanks, Anna

Pinky

I was not aware or was I offered it with the first trip that was cancelled. So yes please can you please send the information. Thank you.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Pinky, I'm sorry about this oversight, and I have just sent you the information. Thanks, Anna

Prodrev_2020 · InsureandGo Australia

I took out a policy in Jan 2020 for travel to US in July-Aug 2020 (~$1200) mainly to cover medical costs if something went wrong. I have calculated that I would only receive a credit for 65% of my paid premium, can someone explain why I lose over $400? I see that a number of other companies have offered full refunds rather than partial credits.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi there, It is worked out on a pro-rata basis, based on how much of the policy was 'used up', essentially. Insurance is based on risk, and from the time you purchased your policy, we covered risk for cover, such as cancellation before departure cover, which is offered on Silver and Gold policies. This meant that your policy was providing you with cover before your travel start date - it was providing cover from the time it was purchased. So if, between purchasing your policy and your travel start date, you had needed to cancel your trip due to unforeseen illness or injury, you would have been able to claim. In addition, there are administration and service costs associated with providing and administering your policy. Thanks, Anna

Prodrev_2020

Thanks Anna J for the response, I now understand the logic, however the highest "risk" and majority cost of the premium was for potential medical cover in the US, none of which was required/used, therefore a flat rate of premium reduction hardly seems applicable here. I am happy to discuss/negotiate this further.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Prodrev, I understand your position. In order to speak with someone who would be able to make a decision in these sorts of matters, I would recommend you contact complaints@insureandgo.com.au in order to discuss this with them. Having said this, unfortunately, I can confirm that generally speaking, we aren't able to negotiate the amount of the pro-rata refund, except in circumstances where our customer is an a position of health difficulty or financial hardship that would prevent them using the pro-rata credit. I hope the extra information helps, and if you decide to get in touch the complaints@insureandgo.com.au, I can assist in following up on your case on your behalf. Thanks, Anna

Prodrev_2020

Thanks for the response, will follow up

Len H.
Len H. · InsureandGo Australia

Can I cancel my travel insurance prior to departure date if cruise has been cancelled.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Len, good question. We currently offer a pro-rata credit if you would like to cancel your insurance, so you can put this towards a future policy with us. Would you like me to send you more information on this? Thanks, Anna

Joy B
Joy B · InsureandGo Australia

My mother purchased travel insurance from InsureandGo prior to the pandemic. The travel
was cancelled and refunded by suppliers and no claim was made on the insurance. InsureandGo reps insist that she can only have a partial credit. This is of no use to her, as she is in her 90’s and Australians are not permitted to leave the country anyway. How do we go about obtaining a refund? I am prepared to take this to AFCA if necessary.

MikeB
MikeB

These people are not very helpful so its best to straight to AFCA as soon as possible. I doubt if trying to pursue the matter directly with them will be of any use. You will need to demonstrate to AFCA that you have tried your best to deal with them direct but have had no positive result. AFCA will then take up your case and work with Insure and Go on your behalf. Hope you have a positive outcome in the end, but be prepared for many frustrating hours trying to get a refund.
Best of luck.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Dear Joy, I'm sorry that the pro-rata credit is not acceptable for your mother, and although our policy has consistently been not to offer refunds, if your mother is in a position of health or financial hardship, we can escalate her case to the committee in order to discuss other forms of resolution. In order to start this, simply reply to the last email you got from us, or email complaints@insureandgo.com.au with her policy number, stating that she would like to escalate her case based on financial or health hardship that will prevent her using the credit. I hope this helps. Thanks, Anna

Lynn C · InsureandGo Australia

We lodged our claim with Insureandgo in June complete with all relevant documents after going to considerable lengths to apply for refunds wherever possible. We have now received two emails requesting paperwork that we have already submitted or are unable to acquire. We have written to our claims officer and made numerous phone calls in an attempt to resolve our claim, all to no avail. Our claims officer appears to ignore all our attempts to contact him. My question is how can we proceed if our claims officer will not speak to us ? Should we refer our claim to AFCA. Lynn Cowin

Yes ,that's what we did.
They don't reply to any emails they just hope you will give up.
AFCA was an easy process and quick.
Then you will see how quick they get back to you.

It's a shame that they treat their customers this way and also leave them no choice but to pursue help elsewhere.
Good luck with your claim

Laurel

Also you don't need to speak with your claims officer to lodge with AFCA
You can show all your unanswered emails from them,and it gets escalated to a higher authority

Lynn C

Thank you Laurel, I will collect all the paperwork and follow it up on Monday.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Lynn, I'm very sorry about the delays you've had in our claims team getting back to you. We don't mean to make it feel like you're being ignored, it's just that we were inundated with claims and enquiries relating to COVID. Having said that, these long delays are unacceptable, and I would like to follow up on your case to see if I can get anyone to contact you ASAP. If you would like me to follow up on your behalf, please send me a private message with your policy number. Thanks, Anna

How do i send you a private message Anna ? Lynn

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Lynn, I have received your private message, thank you for sending it. I will get in touch with the right people and get you an update soon. Thanks, Anna

Paul B
Paul B · InsureandGo Australia

We purchased a Insureandgo Gold Cruise cover in December last year for a Baltic Cruise in August this year along with various other travel booking over a 6 week period. We booked a lot of our other travel arrangements for other parts of our trip though several different online booking sites and so far all except 2 have been excellent to deal with. The 2 exceptions have been Expedia and Insureandgo. Both these companies have made our attempts to contact them as difficult as they possibly can with an underlying feeling that if they make it difficult their customers will just give up and go away.

So, my question to the Insureandgo rep is; Does insureandgo have any intention of offering refunds or credits on unused polices due to the corona pandemic?

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Dear Paul, I can confirm that yes, we are offering pro-rata credits for the unused portion of your policy. I have sent you a message with further details of the pro-rata credit scheme and how it relates to your circumstances. Thanks, Anna

Eileen

My travel actually started one day outside the biosecurity emergency period but InsureandGo still gave me a credit which I really appreciated.

Rivergum · InsureandGo Australia

In December last year we purchased 3 policies for each family member travelling to Europe this coming Aug/Sept. Our son’s is a 16 month backpacker policy (worth $1600) due to start this Wed when we would have been flying out. Can this be cancelled outright since now unable to travel who knows when?!

Graeme
Graeme

Best of luck they are not too honest to deal with

Aussie traveller
Aussie traveller

If you can actually get someone to even talk to you you've done well. Am reporting Insureandgo to ASIC as I believe they could be trading whilst insolvent. They are still selling policies on their website but completely ignoring claims. Good luck - you're going to deed lots of it.

Rivergum

Gosh, that doesn’t sound good at all :(
Thanks for the heads up.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Rivergum, I'm afraid we cannot refund your policy, but I will send you some information on our pro-rata credit, which you may be eligible for. Thanks, Anna

stephen taylor
stephen taylor

If you do get anything it will be about 50% of cost of policy and that will be a Credit for 12mths....Good luck you'll need it with this Mob!!!

terrytreadmill
terrytreadmill

Ive just had my claim declined by Insure and go parent company is Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company Limited. we bought our policy in December and booked our itinerary in November last year. They said we were covered for the pandemic in march and in august after waiting over 3 months they declined our claim because we refused a travel credit with another shonky travel operator Luxury Escapes. I will be pursuing these scumbags through the courts and through Australian Financial Complaints Authority.

Terry treadmill

Eileen · InsureandGo Australia

I purchased a Gold Policy with InsureandGo on 22nd January 2020 for travel to Canada on 19th September for 3 weeks, the flight has been cancelled and a credit deferred for 24 months, can I defer any part of my insurance policy for even 12 months as I have another trip booked for 2021 which hopefully might go ahead?

Mark Spartalis
Mark Spartalis

Hi Eileen, we asked for a part credit and was met with basically " we don't give credits" I would suggest a deferral will be met with a similar reply. Possibly the amount of claims that InsureandGo have on books at the moment, due to Covid19, has seem them go into damage control in relation to pay-outs and customer relations.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Eileen, I will contact you privately to discuss an option that may be available to you. Thanks, Anna

Richard
Richard · InsureandGo Australia

Hi
I have Insurance with Insureandgo , Now
I get correspondence with Tick insurance .
are these two companies the same company?
Regards Richard Szekely

Ant Q.
Ant Q.

According to the Tick insurance website they are both under the same company. Quote: "This insurance is underwritten by Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited, ABN 49 000 525 637, AFSL 240816. Mitsui Sumitomo has appointed Mapfre Insurance Services Australia Pty Ltd, ACN 140 219 594 (InsureandGo) as its authorized Representative to deal with this insurance product."
You will notice that the same customer rep (Anna J.) tries to address customer complaints there also.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Richard, good question, and thanks for your input Ant. We are separate brands, but underwritten by the same underwriter, and we're both part of the same parent company. Thanks, Anna

Paula O.
Paula O. · International Travel Insurance - Gold

Hi, we recently settled a clam And received an amount from insure and go and we received a voucher from a resort with 12 month expiry being March 2021. If at that time we are still unable to leave Australia can we claim that voucher on the insurance? Given it can’t be used? Thanks.

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Paula, thanks for you patience with this question. If it turns out that your loss does become irrecoverable as the credit note cannot be used, then you are welcome to reopen your claim. Please bear in mind that all of the normal requirements will remain. So for example, you will need to reach out the provider and see if they can extend or refund the credit note first. I hope this helps. Thanks, Anna

Paula O
Paula O · International Travel Insurance - Gold

We purchased gold cover last year for a trip to Bali in July. We can claim the difference between the Airline refund and After excess reductions I s about $100. If we don’t make a claim do we have any option of a partial voucher for the cost of the travel insurance?

InsureandGo Australia   DM

Hi Paula, I have sent you some further information on an option that you may be eligible for if you choose not to claim, and instead decide to cancel your policy. If you choose to claim, it sounds like you are eligible to claim (although only the claims team are qualified to give a decision on your claim after considering all details of your claim), but please remember that your standard excess will charge, unless, when you purchased, you chose to reduce your excess to $0. Thanks, Anna

Get an answer from our members and InsureandGo Australia representatives

Select a listing for your question