Intergrain DWD

Intergrain DWD Questions & Answers (page 3 of 3)

52 questions from our users

Clare202

Clare202asked

Hi, we have previously used DWD on a merbau deck. This has faded and aged and we would now like to paint over it. What is the best way to prepare the surface prior to painting and what would be the best undercoat? Thanks for your help.

Quickpig

Hi Clare, I'd sand the whole deck right back and use a coloured wood stain or consult a paint manufacturer. If you decide to re-coat with DWD and the timber colour is patchy you can either sand the timber right back, use the Dimension 4 primer and then DWD or I have have lightly sanded the whole deck and then stained the faded areas to match.You do need to get a consistent colour before you re-coat with DWD or you'll just seal in the problem. Cheers, Dave.

Hi Clare,
Depending on the condition of the coating, you have a few options.
If the coating is peeling, an application of Intergrain PowerPrep, followed by Intergrain Reviva, should remove the remainder of the coating, leaving your timber bare and clean.
If the coating is patchy and still in OK condition, sanding or stripping will be required for you to apply your next coating.
Essentially, the timber must be bare and soaking in water (not beading) before you apply your next chosen coating.
If you're looking to paint the deck (no timber visible), you'll be looking at Cabot's Deck & Exterior Paint. If you'd like to oil the deck (see the timber), we'd suggest Intergrain UltraDeck.

Please call us if you'd like to discuss further on 1800 630 285.

NicoleJ

NicoleJasked

I have a cedar shed (not western red cedar) that I would like to use an untinted or slightly tinted finish on. To avoid getting an orange tinge to the finish should I use the DEAD untinted or tinted and what colour would be suitable to enhance the existing golden brown tones of the timber?

HI Nicole,
Exterior coatings require pigment in order to protect from UV. You could apply Intergrain UltraClear Exterior to your timber, however you would need to conduct regular maintenance inspections to ensure the coating isn't breaking down. For lighter coloured timbers, we usually recommend using a stain, however these are highly pigmented and will probably not suit your expectations. You could test using UltraDeck Natural on a small panel to see if you like the look? UltraDeck is lightly pigmented and might be suitable for your project.
Could you please call us on 1800 630 285 to discuss? We'll walk you through some more options.

Jaimie

Jaimieasked

Hi. 12 months ago I brought a frontier 9 piece outdoor setting from superamart. The sales rep suggested I wait 2 months then linseed oil the table. This completely destroyed the finish of the table as it didn't seem to dry in spots and was blotchy. 12 months on it is dry and I want to do the right thing. The keruing timber is used . I want to keep the deep/dark maroon/brown colour. Can you instruct me what to do exactly as I'm not keen to wait another 12 months to fix the problem again? Thanks jaimie.

Hi Jaimie,
Thanks for your question. Furniture from some shops comes pre-oiled from the factory. These oils aren't particularly durable and will weather away in a few months. Applying Linseed Oil would have been fine if there was no coating on the furniture originally, however the residual factory coating would have caused the Linseed oil to soak into the timber inconsistently.

For your table, splash some water on it to make sure the water soaks into the timber. This means that it will accept a coating. If the water beads on the surface, there is still some residual oil in the timber and you'll have to wait a little longer for it to weather.

Thoroughly scrub the table with Intergrain Revia. This should remove the grey appearance and will prepare the timber for coating. To enhance the colour of your timber, use Intergrain UltraDeck. UltraDeck is a lightly pigmented oil, which offers protection and durability to all exterior timber. Allow UltraDeck to dry, and apply additional coats as needed. If you're table is in direct sunlight, we recommend 3 coats.

Please call us on 1800 630 285 if you have any further questions.

Ellie

Ellieasked

Hi. We have a portable pool and are looking to put chlorine in it. Will the deck, which is coated in Intergrain DWD timber finish, be affected by chlorine if it spills? Thanks

Hi Ellie,

Thanks for the question.

Chlorine shouldn't have any effect on DWD provided the coating is fully cured and it's not left to dry out on the surface. If it's left on the surface it might leave a light stain, which you should be able to remove with a timber cleaner, such as Reviva.

If you have any further questions, please call us on 1800 630 285.

Cabot's

Dyzeey

Dyzeeyasked

Our deck has been coated with dwd however is in need of redoing in parts that have weathered or worn. Do we need to strip it and sand the timbers or just prep with stage 1?

Thanks for any assistance so we get it right

Di

Hi Di,

Thanks for your question.

Start by cleaning the entire deck with Reviva, this will prepare all areas, both weathered and still coated for finishing. Allow entire deck to dry, and apply one coat of UltraPrimer only to areas that have worn back to bare timber. Allow to dry, and coat the freshly primed areas with one single coat of DWD (again, not the whole deck). Allow to dry and then coat the entire decking in one coat of DWD as normal. This process will give you the best chance at an even looking, uniform deck.

To test if areas need the UltraPrimer treatment after Reviva, simply do a water bead test to see if you're back to bare timber. All you need to do is sprinkle water onto the weathered areas of the deck to see if the water soaks in or beads on the surface. If it beads, the area only needs DWD top-coating. If the water soaks in, Priming and finishing is required.

If you have any further questions, please call us on 1800 630 285.

The Intergrain Technical Team.

Hi Di,
I think Intergrain have answered your question but in areas that are particularly bleached, I use a timber stain to match the colour before applying the DWD.

Greg

Gregasked

Hi,
I have a bamboo deck that is susceptible to mould even when regularly treated with oil or Intergrain natural stain. Can you advise if use of Intergrain DWD (primed with dimension 4) would be suitable?
Regards
Mark

Hi Mark,
I'm not qualified to say if DWD is suitable for a bamboo deck. My advice would be to contact Intergrain technical support. I'm sure they will be able to help you out.

Hi Greg/Mark,
Thanks for your question.

Our recommendation for Bamboo decking is to treat with Intergrain Mould Prevented prior to coating with UltraDeck or NaturalStain.

If you've used these coatings before, there's not need to switch to a D4/DWD system.

If you'd like to know more, please call us on 1800 630 252.

Kath
Kath

I'm definitely no expert but you need to treat/kill the mould spores first or else anything you put over the top you will have trouble with.

Bec H

Bec Hasked

Help! We applied the primer but it rained in 3 hours. Some sections of the deck are ok and dry, but other sections are now covered in water and turning a milky colour. Do we pressure clean it off and start again when dry or let it dry naturally and hope for the best? We don't want to proceed with the next steps if it'll just buckle in 10 or so months as we got 6 years (!) out of last application.

Hi Bec,
Thank you for your question.

Don't panic!

If Dimension 4 Timber Primer dried in the 3 hours prior to rain, then we recommend waiting for the deck to dry out naturally, before giving a light water wash to remove any milky stains and rinse. Once fully dried again, you should be OK to continues with your DWD application.

Before you do anything else, we'd like to ask a few more questions to make sure you get a good result. Could you call us on 1800 630 285 during business hours?

The Intergrain Technical Team.

Brendan

Brendanasked

I put on a topcoat and after 14 hours got a shower of rain which has made a couple of parents go orange. What should I do?

Sam
Sam

Hi Brendan,

The issue you are experiencing sounds like water whitening. As the coating dries, the milkiness or orange effect as described it will disappear. Once the coating has fully dried, the problem will no longer occur.

Any other questions, please call us on 1800 630 285.

Terry

Terryasked

What should I be using on a new western red cedar window ? I want to use the same for inside and out.

Hi Terry,

For your Western Red Cedar window we would recommend Intergrain UltraClear Exterior. UltraClear has UV inhibitors in it, is water based, is very durable and perfect for use on both the exterior and interior of your window.

When applying UltraClear, if you feel the grain raise slightly after the 1st coat, lightly sand the surface, clean off the dust, and applying your second coat. This will ensure a smooth, clear finish.

For any timber exposed to direct sunlight, regular inspections are required to make sure the coating isn't degrading, if you think it needs a touch up, a simple light sand and 1 coat of UltraClear will be enough to keep it protected and looking good.

Any other questions, please call us on 1800 630 285.

Jonk31

Jonk31asked

I have previously used DWD to stain a merbau deck. I am now restaining the deck which is showing signs of wear and greyness. I have just sanded the deck and applied dimensions 4. I would like to apply a darker colour stain to cover the imperfections as much as possible. I have DWD which is a clear stain. What would you suggest would be the best option to apply the top coats. Can the DWD be darkened in terms of shading with an additive? Can an oil based stain be used on top of the dimension 4 which is water based?

Bits and Bob's
Bits and Bob's

Hi Jonk31,
DWD does not dry clear - it dries to a orange / honey brown colour that I would best describe as cedar in colour.
Apply by brush or small applicator an extra coat or two over any lighter coloured imperfections, replaced boards or sanded areas then allow to dry. The extra coat(s) act to darken and blend repairs in with the rest of the surface being painted. You will be the best judge how many 'prep/blend' coats are required to repaired areas.
Then commence recoating the entire deck as per manufacturer instructions. Back brush if using a roller.
I don't recommend overcoating with, or adding a stain or tint to DWD
Hope my response was helpful!

Hi Jonk,
Thanks for your question. DWD application is part of a three stage process. First, Intergrain Reviva to clean the timber, second, Dimension 4 to prime the timber and third, DWD to complete the process. Being high film building, DWD is extremely durable when applied correctly. There are 4 tint colours for DWD which can give you the option of going darker. Please http://www.intergrain.com.au/consumer/products/exterior/product-details/2735 for colour options.
We do not recommend using any other product over Dimension 4 other than DWD. In some cases Dimension 4 is used as an interim coating during construction projects, and then sanded off and over coated with whatever the customer has requested.
Any further questions, please call us on 1800 630 285.

Drew

Drewasked

Why is the dwd going milky in some spots?

Sarah S.Intergrain

Hi Drew,

Without seeing a photo and going from your description, DWD could be going milky in some areas if it has not properly dried, or cured, and water has sat on the surface for a period of time. The milky spots will disappear once the DWD has the chance to fully dry.

We hope this helps and if you would like to talk to us to discuss further please feel free to call us on 1800 630 285.

Patrick DAEMSasked

Hello,
I have just applied three layers of Intergrain 3 Stages DWD on an IPE deck for my swimming pool.
Two days after, it becomes to rain and some parts of the deck appear now with a white aspect.
I do not understand the reason why. Do I have something to do or is it normal ?
Be kind to answer and excuse my bad English too !
Best regards.
Patrick from New Caledonia

Mozz
Mozz

Hi yes this is the normal reaction to DWD after rain, as it is water based and water can get under the treatment. As the product does not soak into the grain like a good oil white spots appear. They should go away again once the sun comes out and dries it all up again. Hope this helps

Hello,
I have the pleasure to inform you all is back to a normal aspect as you said in your answer ! Effectively, when the sun appears this moning and dries it, I saw immediately the difference after a short time. Now at the end of the day I recover my smile !
Thanks for all.
Best regards.
Patrick

Sammy1794
Sammy1794

Did you use dimensions 4 underneath dwd. As you would have noticed 'stage 3' on the can . Stage 2 in dimensions 4 and stage one is the cleaner. Dimensions 4 is the product that soakes into your timber and dwd is basically to protect that . Life span of this product if done correctly with all stages is 2-4 years. If not , your best to get 11-16 months out of it.

paint expert .

Get an answer from our members and Intergrain representatives