2iStore Hot Water Heat Pump

iStore Hot Water Heat Pump Questions & Answers (page 2)

Verified🏆 2024 Award
HXBischof
HXBischof · Hot Water Heat Pump 270L

Is your hot water heat pump available in Tasmania?

iStore   DM

Hi there! Thanks for your enquiry - please call us on 1300 515 641 for information regarding availability in Tasmania.

Frank K. · Hot Water Heat Pump 270L

Following a power outage does the iStore remember all the settings, time etc or do these need to be reconfigured. Regards Frank

iStore   DM

Hi Frank, as per external link , yes settings are retained.

Natalie S.
Natalie S. · Hot Water Heat Pump 270L

I want to have my istore 270L heat more water as soon as I use some. I want to use my solar power through the day and electricity at night. Can someone tell me what mode I need to program and if I need to set any timers to achieve this?

iStore   DM

Hi Natalie, A couple of questions here, we'll cover each for you;

I want to have my istore 270L heat more water as soon as I use some - The Federal Government Clean Energy Regulator specifies the thermostat range is 11 degrees, this means that the bottom of the tank must fall 11 degrees below the target temperature before the heating cycle begins. The hot water delivered to the house is from the top of the tank as natural convection causes the hot water to rise to the top of the tank all of the hot water is available for use.

I want to use my solar power through the day and electricity at night. Can someone tell me what mode I need to program - For Australian conditions ECO mode is the best, the onboard computer monitors the surrounding temperature, incoming water and outgoing water, heat transfer capabilities and adjusts its operation to suit. The Federal Government Clean Energy Regulator species how all of the iStore compressor hot water systems must operate in Australia and as such how the computer control operates. Intelligent and Hybrid modes are for overseas models and effectively overridden to ECO mode in Australia.

[A]nd if I need to set any timers to achieve this? - Set 1 timer ON to 10am in the morning to commence heating, in most states for a large part of the year modern solar panel systems will be generating enough electricity to provide power to the iStore and heat your water for free. Depending on the number of people in your household the OFF time to 16:01 where the volume of water is sufficient for all shower requirements in 24 hrs. If the nighttime usage is large enough to use all the water and not leave any more for the people showering in the morning then set the OFF1 time to 20:01/21:01/22:01 for a reheat to take place in the evening after usage. NOTE if you have peak evening tariffs then it may be more suitable to set a second timer to commence after your peak period such as ON2 23:00 to OFF2 03:01.

A long answer I know but good get all the facts behind the explanation.

Thanks - iStore

Bevan H.
Bevan H. · Hot Water Heat Pump

Hi, I recently installed the 270L model.
What is the mechanism for replacing used water, does it refill as used or at a set time? I ask because I have a timer matched to peak solar hours and by night, water is hot (55c) and we shower. But by morning, bottom tank temp is 42 (top tank 26). I suspect cold water is mixing with hot to produce lukewarm water.

Is there a way to prevent this refill or do I just need to set another timer for early morning for the occasional morning shower? Aiming for lowest power use possible so hoping not use early morning timer.

iStore   DM

Hello Bevan, All storage hot water systems refill from the bottom of the tank, as the hot water is drawn from the top, there is no method to prevent the refill.

The large number in the centre of the LCD is the top of the tank and the smaller number in the top left is the bottom of the tank. The numbers if read in that order 42 top and 26 bottom would be consistent with using a large portion of the hot water after the end of the timer window.

Happy to clarify anything further online or via our 1300 515 641 support number.

Kerry.B · Hot Water Heat Pump 270L

Have the 270L and guys set timer to take advantage of our solar panels between hours 10.00 am to 4.00 pm. Compressor seems to come on outside of these hours. Is that normal?

Ralph

No it is not, the new model has a software glitch, change 10:00 am to 10:01 am, also check the second timer has not been activated, if it has without specific times it will start at 12:00 am

iStore   DM

Hello Kerry, On and off times should have differing minutes to ensure the correct time period is selected. For example for 10:00 until 16:00 increase the minute setting to 16:01 to confirm the timer window operation.

For Units manufactured prior to January 2023 do not set the second timer to 00:00 ON and 00:00 OFF as the unit will commence heating at midnight every second night.

To leave the second time off simply allow the timer 2nd setting to timeout after setting the first timer (see the revised Owners Manual on the Downloads section of istore.net.au)

Frank K.

Is this software glitch going to be fixed by iStore. Is there a download? Regards Frank

iStore   DM

Hello Frank, We have been constantly striving to simplify and improve the timer operations of the iStore. The second timer does not automatically adopt any settings but many consumers felt that they had to enter something once that part of the settings was entered. The setting of 00:00 to 00:00 would cause the iStore to turn on and off every second midnight and likewise 12:00 to 12:00 could interfere every second midday with the primary timer.

For Units manufactured from January 2023 units will ignore timers with the same start and end time, that is 00:00 on thru 00:00 off will not activate as 12:00 on thru 12:00 off will also not activate.

On and off times should have differing minutes also to ensure the desired period is achieved.

For example, for a full daytime timer a start of 10:00 on thru 16:00 should have the minute increased to 16:01 to confirm the timer window operation.

To leave the second time off simply allow the timer 2 setting to timeout after setting the first timer end time (please see the revised Owners Manual on the Downloads section of istore.net.au).

Kerry.B

How do we know the date of the unit manufacture?

iStore   DM

Hi Kerry please check the direct message we have sent to you for an information request.
Thanks – iStore

Aravind V.
Aravind V.

If the second timer was accidentally entered then how can it be reset to —/— again?

iStore   DM

Hello Aravind, we have many answers on the iStore Frequently Asked Questions page at external link

For your specific question see the following:-
How do i clear the timers?

To clear the timers press and hold the clock button for two seconds until ON 1 and the timer is displayed and flashes, then a single tap on the power button in the bottom left of the LCD will disable the timers. You can confirm they are disabled as the words ON, OFF, and 1/2 will no longer be displayed above the digital clock time.
NOTE: this will disable both timers but to reintroduce timer 1 simply step thru and confirm the ON 1 time and the OFF 1 time without entering and setting the second timer.

NOTE: the latest and most up-to-date owners manual is now available for download at external link  with many improved step-by-step instructions.

Thankyou – iStore

Andrew S. · Hot Water Heat Pump

Hi, I have my system set to run between 10 am and 2pm but I have noticed it also ran at 5am for an hour.
I would have thought it would only run during my specified hours, is this not the case ?

Ralph

Good morning, t sounds as though you have a second tiimer set, I would suggest resetting (clearing) the timers and redoing them Be careful that when you set the first timer stop and let the system return to the home page. If you continue through the timers, although you don't set the second one it will put one in. That is my guess on your issue, let us know if he fix works for you. I spent a lot of time working through the timers, a bit finicky.

Andrew S.

Thx, yeah I have checked that there is no second timer running as it only shows a "1" above the time.
I accidentally set 2 timers when I first attempted setting it up and it showed a "2" above the time.
In the manual it says if you continue after setting the first timer it will automatically apply a second timer and schedule it to turn on at midnight every second night.
So definitely finicky !
Out of curiosity do you set yours to hybrid mode or eco mode.
I found if I used eco mode even with a timer it would ramp up whenever needed.
This was the reason I used full hybrid mode with a timer.
I thought it may stop it turning on any time outside the timer settings.

Ralph

Andrew I run mine in Intelligent Mode, one thing I had an issue with was I had to set timers at "not the top of the hour", i.e. when I set it eg 0900hrs it did not work, 0901 hrs the timer worked as expected, a glitch in the software. Perhaps you could try that as well.

Andrew S.

Cheers I will look into it.
It seems to be working between the hours I have set but also out side of them.
I will try setting it as you have suggested and see if it still operates out side those hours.

iStore   DM

Hi Andrew, Thank you for your question and apologies for the delay in responding as we clarified instructions around setting timers.

For Units manufactured from January 2023 units will ignore timers with the same start and end time, that is 00:00 on and 00:00 off will not activate and 12:00 on and 12:00 off will also not activate.

To leave the second time off simply allow the timer 2 setting to timeout (see the revised Owners Manual on the Downloads section of istore.net.au)

Paul R.
Paul R. · Hot Water Heat Pump

Do you need to use the timers in the brochure that allow the unit to run on a limited time basis throughout a 24 period. That is running for say four hours throughout a day to top up the tank temp?

Sparky
Sparky

iStore 180.
How do I adjust the lower temperature setting ?
Can I turn the heating on manually (in eco mode) to take advantage of any sunshine on a clouday day ? Before the lower set point has been reached, and then the temperature will rise to the upper set point and switch off.
What is the highest set point temperature allowed. ?

Amanda
Amanda · Hot Water Heat Pump 270L

Hello IStore.
My friends have recently had an Istore 180 installed. I have a household of at least four people and often more. I also currently have a gas boosted solar hot water system in place that is 11 years old. If I was to install your product, the solar panels for the gas boosted system would need to be removed. Would you do this and what would be the price for this? I'm guessing I would need the 270L system. I'm open to some honest good advice.
Thanks,
Amanda

iStore   DM

Hi Amanda, It sounds like the 270L will suit you but it would be best to talk to an iStore-authorised plumber in your area. If you visit our website at external link  and fill in the ‘Get A Quote’ form the team will get in touch with nearest plumber to you who will be able to discuss your site specifics and pricing for you.

JING WU
JING WU · Hot Water Heat Pump

we have 4 adults and 2 children at home. Due to the space, we can only install the 180L version. We are having shower between 6pm and 8pm every day. We have 4.5kw solar panel on the roof. Which mode and timer should I set to achieve the most efficient way to run? Cheers

iStore   DM

Hi Jing, Many thanks for your enquiry - please call our 1300 515 636 to discuss your home and space in detail.
Thanks again,

Don P.
Don P. · Hot Water Heat Pump 180L

Yesterday 8/4/ 2023 we were down to luke warm water. Our iStore 180 is 18 months old... and worked in eco mode very well to then. (yesterday)
We had no response from the control screen so we turned the mains power off then on and the screen worked. We reset the timer 1 and 2 but 3 and 4 would not rest. This started the unit and reached 54 dg within hours.
This morning the unit did not start at the programmed time and no response from the screen which was on. We turned the mains power off and on and the screen was active...we then programmed the temperature from 54 to 60dg still within the program time and nothing has happened.
I recall that the previously 3&4 timer settings disappeared but heated enough on 1to2 being 2 hours so we never worried about it.
Any ides?
Cheers don.

Gary
Gary

It would be better to direct these questions to solargain ,they would be more qualified, I am just a consumer like you

iStore   DM

Hello Don, Thank you for your question, we are happy to help! Please call the iStore help line on 1300 515 636 and we can walk through it with you.
Thanks,

Fergus D.
Fergus D. · Hot Water Heat Pump

We need two tanks. Would it be ok to set them up to use only solar excess, using a smart meter and load management relay? What would the minimum running time for programming be, to reduce risk of damage from frequent cycling?

iStore   DM

Hi Fergus, Apologies for the delay in replying to you. Please call us on 1300 515 636 and we wll be glad to help :)

Kia B.
Kia B. · Hot Water Heat Pump

What is the most energy efficient setting to use with solar panels please? We have a 270l system

iStore   DM

Hi Kia, Apologies for the delay in responding - could you call our information line on 1300 515 636 and we will be happy to help you.

Julie S.
Julie S. · Hot Water Heat Pump

I live in a regional town that is renowned for its high hard water content. Have you any feedback re your systems?

iStore   DM

Hi Julie, Apologies for the delay in responding - could you call our information line on 1300 515 636 and we would be happy to help you with your enquiry.
The iStoreTeam

Leprod
Leprod · Hot Water Heat Pump

Hi, where is the unit made and warranty does it have

iStore   DM

Hello Leprod, The iStore is designed in Australia by a team of plumbers with a combined experience of over 100 years. Now with 15 years of hot water design and manufacturing experience the iStore / iHeat brand is a proven product in Australia. We have the iStore units manufactured in China to our strict quality control demands and you can also take confidence from the fact that the both ourselves and our factory are regularly audited to Australian electrical and plumbing standards. Of course, the Federal and state governments insist on high performance units to contribute to the carbon reduction target set by our Government.
Our warranty is a full 5 year comprehensive warranty including both parts and labour.
I hope that helps to explain our product and its experience and backing.

Graham Christie
Graham Christie · Hot Water Heat Pump 270L

Can this be used as a replacement for a Dux Pro 4F136S, storage unit

iStore   DM

Yes Graham the iStore is an excellent replacement for your current system and can be positioned where your old tank is providing that is outside or has open air flow.

Jeremiah L.
Jeremiah L. · Hot Water Heat Pump

how much for my plumber to buy 270L unit and delivery to sydney?

Rebs

Everyone has a different price

iStore   DM

Hi Jeremiah, Apologies for the delay in replying to you. For all purchase enquiries please call 1300 515 641 and our sales team can reach out to your plumber and provide pricing.

Ron of the wheatbelt
Ron of the wheatbelt · Hot Water Heat Pump 180L

Does the Istore 180ltr have a Disinfection mode? and what is the highest output temp?

Disinfection mode NO
Check local laws as Canberra has an output valve set at 50 deg and the unit can max out at 60 deg
50 deg is hot enough

iStore   DM

Hello Ron, yes the iStore does have a weekly disinfect cycle to comply with the Australian water storage regulations. For domestic use our units can be set to 60 degrees, please understand that current regulations enforce the installation of an anti-scald (tempering) valve to reduce the delivery temperature to 50 degrees for the bathrooms. 50 degrees is still too hot to shower under and typically people shower at approximately 40 degrees.

Hope that helps.
Bill - iStore

malcolm_47
malcolm_47 · Hot Water Heat Pump 270L

Where is this Heat Pump made?

Rebs

I think Australia please check web site for confirmation

iStore   DM

Hi Malcom, The iStore is designed in Australia by a team of plumbers with a combined experience of over 100 years. With 15 years of hot water design and manufacturing experience the iStore / iHeat brand is highly regarded in Australia. We have the iStore units manufactured in China to our strict quality control.

In addition, we are regularly audited to Australian electrical and plumbing standards and we offer a full 5 year comprehensive warranty including both parts and labour.

Apologies for the delay in responding to your question

Premalal M.
Premalal M. · Hot Water Heat Pump

what is the noise level?

Nick
Nick

Not too bad, less than a aircon unit. Our is 5 metres away from our bedroom and don't hear a thing.

Gaffer · Hot Water Heat Pump

What is the cost of a sacrificial anode? Can householders change the sacrificial anode or is a plumber necessary.

Gaffer

Thanks Rebs but this unit has one and the cost of maintenance is a big issue with this type of water heater, hence the generally short warranties. Others have the more expensive option of a stainless tank which doesn’t need an anode. It would be handy to know this cost if you want to compare units

iStore   DM

Hello Gaffer, In response to your anode question, all hot water systems should be serviced by a licensed plumber and to this end service anodes are readily available in all capital cities. Generally, all hot water systems should have the anode and valves checked every 5 years and more often if in harsh water areas. The service anode on the iStore can be checked more often if required simply by unscrewing it from the side of the tank. There are no extra specific service requirements for an iStore other than making sure the condensate drain is clear and the unit does not have an excessive build-up of pollen or dust.

iStore chose vitreous enamel tanks due to many areas of Australia having harsh mains water supplies, stainless steel tanks were common many years ago, the EPA restricted the chemical leaching from the welds and since that time the stainless tanks are susceptible to corrosion on the welds. Most stainless-steel tank manufacturers have large restrictions on the areas where they are warranted to be installed in Australia. Vitreous enamel tanks are tried and proven in Australia for over 50 years.

Please note that iStore has a full 5-year comprehensive warranty covering everything including parts and labour which is among the best available on the market today.

Gaffer

Thanks for this information. I note that your warranty seems to be the best around which gives me a lot of confidence.

Get an answer from our members and iStore representatives

Select a listing for your question
iStore Hot Water Heat Pump

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

iStore Hot Water Heat Pump is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2024, 2023, 2022 and 2021. Learn more