Isuzu D-MAX RC.I

Isuzu D-MAX RC.I (2012-2016) (page 3 of 3)

See the Best Utes in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Isuzu

• Features
Alan M
Alan MNarooma, New South Wales

Fantastic 4x4

After the death of my Defender decided to buy new. Have always liked the reliability of Isuzu motors. Bought a 2014 LS-M manual dual cab. $15K off list price as it was a 200km demo. What a great ride. Plenty of room in the cabin. Comfortable seats with heaps of leg room. So far I have been impressed with it off road, even with it's so called All Terrain Bridgestone tyres. Towing is a breeze. Towed a 1.2 tonne dual axle trailer 800kms. Hardly knew it was there. It achieves excellent fuel economy with little stress from the engine. Only gripes: key in ignition warning and seat belt warning. Apart from that a solid vehicle. New tyres and a suspension lift and it will be ready for the great off road.

CabDual Cab
TransmissionManual
DriveRWD

Great Ute Awful Radio

BadgeLS-Terrain

Mirrors on D Max

Clearview brand mirrors that replace originals are available and are brilliant and have a convex and flat mirror that can extend for towing. I think they also have the blinker light in them as well. Unfortunately they are expensive at $750 plus and more if fitting if required but are far cheaper than originals if you break one. Spare parts are available.
They are slightly bigger than the original equipment but that is to your advantage and don't vibrate even when fully extended for towing.

bob.eades.7
bob.eades.7South East Queensland, QLD

External Mirrors

Gary Reinhard
Gary ReinhardLittle Bay

D-Max towing and 4x4

Cheap to run

I brought 2014 Terrain. Done 20,000km without fault added nudge bar,canopy,rhino bars and regularly carries all my builders tools,ladders etc .around town getting 8.4 litres per 100k been down as low as 7.1 at 100k on highway between brissy and sunshine coast. Don't even have to change down on steep grades as the auto handles with ease. Air con with climate control work a treat. My only gripes are the speed alert interruptions on radio and the large blind spot created by driver side pillar. Oh one other annoyance is if you put a heavy load on passenger seat it sets off seatbelt alarm. I highly recommend this truck as it is a work vehicle and not as a SUV...

BadgeLS-Terrain
Sheep
Sheep

Awesome tow vehicle

This is my second D-Max having recently upgrading from the 1st generation model. We regularly tow a car trailer with a race car on the back all over QLD and NSW, we constantly achieve between 10.5-12 ltr/100km with the trailer and 7.8-8.3 ltr/100km without the trailer. If your looking for a great tow vehicle that is cheap to run you can't go past this ute. The only "must have" upgrade I would recommend is change the shock absorbers the factory ones lean to much towards soft/comfort in there valving.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews

Work horse

I've had all the other brands and have found the D-Max to be a real star. Sure, it's noisy and a little rough around the edges but for the prices it's in a league of it's own. I towed a 3200kg trailer from Brisbane back to Perth with an additional 500kg in the tray and was still getting 10.9 l/ 100km. How does it do that?

By the way for the sceptics, I was sitting on 100kms/hour.

Great machine but maybe for those who really understand that it's a work machine not a show pony!

Marion
Marion

Very happy

Very happy with vehicle drives beautifully and has many extra features also sales man service and dealership very Curtis and helpful

Jane S
Jane STownsville

12 months in, the D-Max continues to be brilliant!

nannycallipan
nannycallipanAU

Isuzu LSM 4x4 3 ltr turbo diesel

It's a fantastic ute. I tow a 3 ton fifth wheeler not a problem, the only gripe I have is the aerial top of windscreen .
Entered a car park the aerial must have made contact with chain on the way in got home noticed the aerial was slightly off centre tried to centre it when it snapped off in my hand had a look at centre of aerial found tiny thin bolt thread.
Went to Isuzu dealer for warranty told I must have hit something not happy.
Should be more robust than this.
Also service manual says oil change ect every 10,000 km but sticker under hood says service every 20,000 km very strange but I don't think i'd wait to 20,000 as the recommended oil isn't fully synthetic.

TomPerth, WA

GREAT TOWING POWER AND FUEL ECONOMY 2014 LSM AUTO

Tom

Update to above, 1st engine oil change is not until 20k kms which is ridiculous for a new engine. Not sure of the logic there.

Michael Dopking
Michael DopkingDarling Downs, QLD

My 1st 1000kms in a 2014 LS-M Crew Cab D-Max

jason
jasonNewcastle, New South Wales

2013 D-Max extra cab manual

I have had my D-Max for around 4 months and just clicked over 12,000 kms and so far have not had a problem with it it drives smoothly and changes gears really smooth I've taken it off road several times and it's been great I get around 8L/100km the key button is the worse worse thing about it (minor issue) when my keys are in my pocket I can easily bump the button and the car will unlock but as I said minor issue.
Fuel economy, power, and smooth gear changes
Key button

TransmissionManual
MW
MWSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Looking to buy, test drive so far only

We just took a D-Max LS-U for a drive and liked it except the right was very harsh on uneven road - very disappointing. We were also a little concerned that the air con was OK only - it worked but you had to run the fan on high and that added a lot to the cabin noise. Also the engine is not as quiet as the Mazda BT50.
Price. Overall feel and everything else about it
Very lumpy ride, Air con may struggle over time.

Steak face
Steak face
Glenn
Glenn

I hope you have better luck with yours mine has been nothing but problems under warranty now I have to pay for repairs myself

mustangdudeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Review after 18 months

JBJARROD

I highly recommend getting yourself a rubber/silicone key cover for your key. This was something that annoyed me but it was fixed by buying it a silicone cover. They are on ebay.

mustangdude

We tried a silicone cover but found it was too soft and kept coming off when you turned the key.
I might look for a better, harder cover because that certainly is a good solution.

JBJARROD

I have had my silicone one on since new, it barely moves. Maybe it needs a good clean to wipe off the oily residue maybe?? I did buy mine a couple years ago off ebay. It had the isuzu emblem cutout on the back of the key. Sorry this didn't help you.

Love it

Done 4000klms a month over the 6 months since I got my D-Max and love it love it love it. Has Power to burn, and will with easy tow the 3 ton it rated to tow. The most practical work ute, easy to use brilliant fuel economy, comfortable on long trips. Easy as to keep clean. Best investment I have ever made.
Love everything about it.

simon
simon
bernarrd
bernarrd

True,stereo is very poor

johnt57aus
johnt57ausAU

JBJARROD

Do yourself a favour and go grab a silicone key cover off ebay! Will stop the keys from being accidentally pressed in your pocket.

fatbob
fatbobAU

The ultimate towing machine

My wife & I have just completed a 5000k trip in a D-max towing a 3 ton caravan,travelling with my brother & sister in-law who were driving the 200 series twin turbo Landcruiser also pulling a 3 ton caravan. Well let me tell you Toyota lovers the D-Max left it for dead in both performance & fuel economy, up hills around Tumit & Mt. Kosiosco the D-Max in 3rd gear literally pushed the cruiser up the hills, fuel stops the D-Max was on average $50.00 less per every fill, I averaged approx 14lts to the 100k's as apposed to the cruiser's 22lts to the 100k's. The D-Max might look small but it's built tough & is very comfortable for a ute.
I loved the way it performed, handled & the great fuel economy

Mark

must have been something wrong with the landcruiser I reckon ,

FNQ Peter G
FNQ Peter G

Our company D-Max lives on Cape York it returns 6.9 in 4WD all the time all standard gear except bull-bar and driving lights.one tough and efficient truck.

Kerley1111
Kerley1111AU

Love my D-Max

LS-U new at the end of October. Road trip since covering 6000km. Loving it.

Comfort and reliability. Towed a boat on the road trip and achieved 10L per 100km. Not towing I am getting about 9L/100km. Fitted a Razorback Canopy and that is excellent as well.

Would recommend to my friends. Very happy.
Economy, power, reliability