Isuzu D-MAX

3 months and counting. What a joke. You buy a new ute so you dont have problems. Not happy

Hi i haven't even had my ute for more than two years yet and it been sitting at the dealer for the last 3 months. It continues to go into limp mode when you first start it in the mornings. They still cant give me answers to why this is occurring. I can't believe that with technology they have these days, you would think that the problem could be found. Izuzu Australia haven't even had the courtesy to call me back. It shows that they just want your money when you purchase a vehicle. But when there's a problem they dont care if it jeopardises you're likely hood. I really on my ute. But i can't really on izuzu

Purchased in May 2017 for $50,000.00.

BoughtNew
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Before 1000km fantastic - after 1000km terrible

Bought the MY18 LS - T dual cab two months ago. Up until 1000 km it was fantastic. It felt as though you were floating on a cloud as you drove down the road. But exactly at 1000 km the ride became terrible. It felt like you were driving down a corrugated dirt road on smooth highways. The vibration was felt through the steering and brake pedal as well as the cabin as a whole. When you spoke it sounded full of vibration. Isuzu service centre looked at the vehicle and blamed the Ironman bull bar fitted at delivery without fitting the heavy duty suspension. Isuzu said i had to wait one month for them to look at it and so I booked it in. They did the 3,000 km service but didn't fix any of the warranty defects. I had to book it in for them to order parts and fit them; this will take another month's wait as they are far too busy. So I'm left with a vehicle that is not pleasant to drive because of the vibration, body rolls around corners and under brakes. It's also causing me knee problems on long drives because of the vibration. Toyota service are never too busy to attend to your vehicle up here in Cairns but Isuzu are just too busy. I bought this DMax because it got great reviews and reviewer said they had great customer service; but I now know you can't believe all the reviews. In hindsight I should have got a Hilux.
I'm getting an independent assessment of the bullbar and suspension and will up date this review if it improves the performance of the vehicle. But for now I would not recommend the MY18 Dmax.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Drive4WD

Worst car I have ever owned

Been back close to 20 times for various faults and most of them
Still have not been fixed . Worst choice of car I have ever made . Almost 70000 on it and have had nothing but issues with Isuzu . Every time I take my car for a service it comes back with damage to it . At what point can you get your money back for a lemon car ? A car worth $56k to buy is apparently worth under 30k 18 months later and made to be my problem and loss . Please don’t make the same mistake as I did people . Fuel economy is false in there stats also . Buy a ranger or lux

BadgeLS X-Runner
Date PurchasedApr 2017

Warranty ambiguous and misleading

2014 4x4 60000kms and the diff-axle housing exploded 700km east of Alice Springs what a nightmare sitting in remote Australia on three wheels Had to activate recovery and pay for it as sat company had not activated our renewal even though we had paid for it,so couldn’t contact isuzu assist
Eventually got back to Alice Springs and discovered that Isuzu would not warranty the claim even though the dealer had suggested to upgrade the GVM to legally carry the weight,Isuzu denied the claim because the suspension had been altered
It was fitted by ARB ,engineer certified and approved by Vic roads who issued a new rego certificate and compliance plate
The dealer in Alice Springs wanted $7000 to affect the repair and failed to give a written quote ,or repair warranty and remarked that nobody would tow it away because it was on three wheels
Isuzu Ute assist helped us with costs to get it back to Melbourne
I have [name removed] booked to do the repair for $4300 ,somewhat different than Centralian motors in Alice Springs Furthermore it was offered that if I could procure second hand parts ie the housing that it would be alright
With our contribution to towing and supply of parts it is going to cost $4500 using some second hand parts
Buyers beware apparently I’m not the only one who has had diff related axle problems with no support from isuzu
I do not tow anything and am a very experienced and qualified 4x4 driver with over 100,000km experience on outback roads
Ironically I was about to order a new isuzu and was again told by the dealer that they would organise the GVM upgrade and that it would be covered by isuzu warranty
What a disappointment so much for we have been building trucks for a hundred years so a utility is easy

BadgePoor
Date PurchasedJan 2014

Expected a basic level

Bottom of the range ute, Space Cab 4x2 ---- 2017 model

First thoughts, being the bottom of the range work ute, one cannot expect too much.
Was driving it around for about a month as its my workplace/office, virtually my home away from home.

The interior itself is severely lacking, no real comfortable place to rest your right arm. The blind spots through the A-pillar's are embarrassing. Have to be extra wary at pedestrian crossings and even cyclists/motorcycles are easily obscured.
Talking on the phone using Bluetooth is beyond a joke, voice sounds robotic, even peaky, with the system picking up more road noise than your actual voice. Bluetooth has gone backwards considerably, a car 10 years old has a much better system.

Lastly the seats. Completely lacking any support whatsoever, going around a corner, you'll move around considerably in your seat.
Whoever designed these seats completely forgot about ergonomics as the lower back support is non-existent. Its a really soft lower back cushion region that sinks in considerably. You do however get a fantastic metal bar that extends across the lower back that digs into you considerably.
If you have one of these cars, sitting on a towel or having one rolled up behind your lower back will help. Other blokes at work are starting to have the similar issues (back pain).

With aftermarket seats costing thousands and Police cracking down on mobile phone use. You would be better off looking around for something more suitable unless you want a bad back or a non existent licence.
The top of the range utes have the better adjustable seats, can only assume they would be more ergonomically designed.

Mechanically speaking it doesn't seem like a bad car, you won't be outrunning any coppers but it does have enough grunt to get you through the day.

Save your money, and look around for something that will meet your needs. If you're spending a lot of time in the vehicle seriously look at the top of the range DMAX, as it has electrically adjustable seats or be prepared to spend 5K on Recaro/Stratos replacement seats.

As I thought for a bottom of the range vehicle, one doesn't get too much so there would be a few small issues here and there. But definitely not to the extent as what I've had to deal with.
Now its spending many hours stretching trying to rid myself of this back pain hopefully it goes away sooner rather than later

BadgeSX High Ride
CabSpace Cab
Date PurchasedAug 2017

Piece of junk

I’ve owned 11 vehicle’s in the past and this is by far the worst.
3k service both outer cv boots were buggered
Done 14k and suspension is shot.
Cannot drive for more than 30 min without getting severe back pain due to rubbish seats.
Back doors don’t close properly.
Auto gearbox is crap, changes gears randomly.
Radio screen doesn’t turn off, terrible for night driving.
Seat belt alarm for passenger gets set off if you have more than 3kg on seat.
No LSD, traction control is rubbish.
Bluetooth hands free doesn’t work properly.
Interior is cheap plastic that scratched easily.
Sold my 2004 hilux for this and regretted it since day 1.
Will buy a Great Wall Ute next time, will be equally disappointing but only cost half as much.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

no customers service

Paid for Ute and still waiting for delivery been 6weeks and I have had to do all the contacting and still can't get the Ute.
Worst company ever to deal with do not use Black locks Albury. Very poor service and no customers relation. Imagine if the Ute has problems it will be impossible to get anything done.

BadgeEX Farm Mate
CabSpace Cab
Date PurchasedApr 2018

Unreliable

Had to be repaired after 3 days, still not repaired can't tow as not enough power many electrical breakdowns now after 23 months Isuzu have give up so I am left with a vehicle that I can't use and needs a new engine after 20,000 miles. Unlucky for me I spent £30,000 on a Isuzu.

May 6th 2018 Update: Keeps breaking down

Only 23months old has been back to dealer many times now a non runner at 20000 miles and not getting repaired. Had to be towed in by a ford sadly. Dealer has give up seams that the warranty is worth less and I am left with no vehicle that I can use.

September 6th 2018 Update: Non stop problems

Brought new, problems from new had to sell at a massive loss as never worked properly and brought a ford had new clutch at 20,000 MLS engine and electronic problems that warranty did not want to repair. Warranty is such a battal to get, fuel filters are always need changing. Brought 4 D-MAX but the later blade was good as useless and had to get towed in by a ford at times, bit bad for new vehicle.

Badge£0
Date PurchasedMay 2016

Better off buying a 90s model commodore

I have owned my dmax just over two years (2015 model)
Worst purchase I have ever bought. A salute lemon. All components are garbage.
The aireil above the windscreen snapped off when washing the car. The front grill plate fell off after around a year. The metallic paint has absolutely no primer underneath therefore the car rusts when you have a minor scratch. The driver site seat is already ripped just from climbing in and out of the ute.
Would not recommend this ute in any way. I don’t even know how I can get rid of it...

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Dont buy a D max

Purchased a New d max September 2016,LS 4x4 dual cab,, Warrnambool Victoria,,picked up from Dealership and our vehicle had been on showroom floor ,Display item, was never told that would happen ,, inspection of Dmax and we notice scratches to paint work and dirty ,,Isuzu never fixed, , poor fitting of products ,bulbar winch ect, .worst was yet to come.. after first service 3,056 Klms ,Diesel engine started rattling, ,roadside assist come out to us and d max had fuel sensor problems,total shut down of motor,,the angry bit was ,because we were still in our local area, we could not get towed or our crapp dmax put on a tilt tray, we had to take to dealership ourselves,1 week later we picked up our ute,, our ute has had other problems, vibration in front end, was blamed all on the brand new Mickey thompson tyres we had fitted ,,has small rust spots already, just over 12mths old, clutch is a problem,yes we have a 5 speed manual, only done 10,000klms now,, most people say new clutch around 30,000 klms,,,Isuzu told us its because we tow heavy loads or we use the clutch wrong,,strange thing is we have only ever towed a small trailer with fishing kayak and some gear in it,other strange remark about bad clutch usage from Isuzu is ,I am a truck driver and our trucks are sold at 800 thousand klms and never in 30 years of driving ,,,have i ever had clutch problems ,the problems are Isuzu and the after sales service,, but I am not the first to state that fact,,on the bright side we pick up our new v8 dual cab landcruiser ute next week,

BadgeLS High Ride
Date PurchasedSep 2016

Blown engine

I have just ticked over 102,000 k's. Turbo let go shrapnel right through engine, even took out tops of the glow plugs. Costs to date $14,000 and I haven't paid for labour yet. Not happy Alice.
Had to replace engine driven fuel pump, injectors, turbo, water pump, glow plugs and the engine with a long engine not to mention glow plugs. This is my first Isuzu experience and well, what would you think?. The vehicle has been serviced every 10,000 km's.
I am 70 yrs old and use the vehicle for towing 5 mt boat plus general use. Seven years of use only.

Date PurchasedJan 2010

Blown head at 47000 kms

Car appears to have blown a head gasket at 47000km. Whilst returning from a family holiday. We were stranded at Airlie Beach with no after sales back-up. It has now been two weeks, having just returned from Airlie by hire car, which I was forced to return from Cooktown, over 1000km. The vehicle has not even been dismantled for a proper diagnosis. I still have no vehicle for work as a self-employed electrician. I have always kept up to date with my services with approved Isuzu dealers.

Date PurchasedMar 2015
Drive4WD

After service is terrible including head office

Purchased a new dmax, and within 2 months the dealer closed shop at city Isuzu. Had issue with the bars on the vehicle and have been trying to resolve the issue for months. Head office in QLD was just Terrible. Considering we have a fleet of these at work we will never be purchasing again!!!

BadgeSX High Ride
CabSingle Cab
Date PurchasedMar 2016
DriveRWD

Very poor hand brake.

Probably the worse hand brake I've ever looked at. Parked on my drive which is a 1-4 slope. Sat there for about 4 mins and then ran away hitting my house. Narrowly missing one of my boys. Isuzu and dealer washing there hands with it saying it driver error not putting hand brake on properly. The rachet and pawl in them is very poorly designed. If the rest are like it it's only time before someone gets killed. Don't let it be your kids.

BadgeEX Farm Mate
Date PurchasedJun 2016

2015 D max . Would not buy or recommend

2015 D MAX 35,000 km. Timing chain rattles badly for around 4 or so seconds, until it builds up oil pressure. The model before had the oil filter upside down, and the thought was the oil would drain out and the filter would have to fill up again to build up oil pressure for the tinning again to tension up and stop rattling. I have late 2015 model, my oil filter is down below and horizontal so the above is does not apply,but sound is the same. This happens if it's been turned off for as little as 20 mins. Oil used 15 w.40 and now winter 5w .30. Just to see if the thinner oil helped. It does not. The thinner oil now rattles after being turned off for a few minutes. Been told to live with it. Gear box the same. When cold the gear box clatters until driven for about 6 ,7 km to get oil around. If you start the Ute cold , say outside temp 5 degrees . It will start to rattle and clatter and get louder. Letting it sit and warm up won't get the oil around. It will just get Louder. It has to be driven to stop the rattle. It's a waste of time trying to warm up a diesel anyway on a cold day I doubt it would get to operating normal temperature if I let it sit there for the whole day anyway. Let it idle for a couple of minutes let the oil get around let a little bit of heat get into the cylinders and then drive it is the best way to warm it up. Oil recommend is 15w 40 engine oil. I have put 5w30 full synthetic and it's still the same. Made no difference. Push the clutch in and it stops. It's the Gear box not the thrust race or clutch fork bearing which ever you choose to call it. It's the gears clattering. The rest of the Ute is great. I just don't think a new car in 2015 should sound like a old 1920 tractor when started. Any way that's my 2 cents worth.

CabSingle Cab
Date PurchasedOct 2015
DriveRWD

Destroyed our lives, frustrating vehicle and company

Purchased a 2014 Isuzu Dmax XRunner in april 2014. And it has been hell ever since. Ive lost count the amount of times its leaked oil, and I have lost count of the amount of time it has spent in the dealership being "repaired"only to get it back and have it leak again. Not only that, the body kit seems to come away from the body, the ute liner lifts and bulges, the gearbox knocks and rattles (although they say this is of "normal operation") the clutch squeals and rattles and the oil pressure fails to build up (again - they say its normal!) This vehicle will end up costing us nearly 100k in finance and is now worthless. The amount of times its been in the dealership is more than we have spent driving it. Its resulted in us, purchasing a Toyota in order for us to have at least one reliable car. If we had known what we do now, two years ago, I would of stayed well clear of Isuzu. Its not worth it. They fail to fix it, fail to accept its a lemon and fail as a company

BadgeX-Runner

Crap company! Crap car!!

I convinced 2 mates to buy a dmax after I bought one. And 2 of us have the same shudder in the automatic gear box. Mine started at about 20 to 30 000 hour s at 5000. Isuzu wiping its hands of it. The dealer is doing the same. I have got independent analysis from a gearbox specialist to fix with a cost of $6000.00. Pathetic company and pathetic service. I recommend you stay clear.

BadgeLS-U

customer service is horrendous

The car is fantastic couldn't fault it. Except a small warranty issue. Nothing major. Trying to resolve it, we'll let's just say three months later and still no solution.

Poor waranty

Mine is a 2012 LSU with 90k on it now.
Has a weeping head gasket, ERG leaking soot over starter motor.
Will not cover warrenty because they didnt do they servicing.
Even though log book filled out and stamped. They want proof of genuine oil and filters on invoices ect.
I am a TQ mechanic for 15yrs, Over serviced as done every 5k.
They are just stalling and trying to find a reason to not cover.

Bunch of A Holes.
EGR valve common problem.
Head Gasket weeping coolant at back of head, this is a Manufactoring fault! What does a genuine oil filter have to do with it? Coolant has been tested and is ok.

Other faults they are common for.
Rust on Panels and Chassis - Poor paint.
Camshaft de-laminate- had metal facings come off.
EGR as said.
water leaks, and bad for dust inside cab.

IUA call center talk to you like you are stupid, will not listen and talk over you.
When you try to stand up to them, then will end the call and will only use email to communicate.

STAY AWAY

BadgeLS-U
Traded car in, will never ever deal with IUA again, and Taree Isuzu dealer was no help as the selling dealer. so they lost me as well. got the new car from newy

Rust bucket

Got my D-Max X-Runner brand new.
Two weeks after discover fair bit of rust all trough the chassis and engine. Contact the Isuzu Ute Australia head office and after few days got the email saying that they will replace the turbo assembly, exhaust and gasket... and in they Goodwill treat the rust on the chassis. Warranty doesn't cover rust so it's there's goodwill to treat it.
How good is this for a brand new vehicle.

BadgeX-Runner