RC.I, RA, RC.II
See the Best Utes in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Isuzu

Expert Review

D-MAX X-Terrain

Check out our in-depth expert review of the best Isuzu has to offer; the 2021 D-MAX X-Terrain. Our article and accompanying video take you through everything you need to know about one of Australia's most popular 4x4 utes.

Read Now

D-MAX SX

The base model D-MAX has plenty to offer. We gave the D-MAX SX a full write-up and put everything you need to see on video so you can decide if this 4x2 ute is right for you.

Read Now

• Features

Darryl R.
Darryl R.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Error lights on dash

I use cruise control in all my cars everyday for safety of speeding.
Also I purchased this Ute for its 5 star safety rating.When it rains Or has been raining I get 3 error lights on the dash which disengages the cruise and crash midagation due to the clean windscreen needing cleaning ?? My Ute has 2,000klms on it and this has happened 25 times.
Today another error for DPD ,when I speak to Isuzu they say they all do this .What a load of rubbish. I did buy 5 star rated car with cruise control not to be able to use it..
Pathetic to say the least,I have lodged a complaint with Isuzu Australia and booked the car in to be looked at.I expect then to tell me they all do this again which consumer affairs will be contacted.
All

Purchased for $64,000.00.

I t is worth the wait

This is the best looking Ute of its class on the market at the moment. As far as everything else is concerned read the reviews,they all can’t be wrong can they?

Purchased in March 2021.

Sharon
Sharon

Love it

Great, smooth drive, feels like I’m driving a sedan not a 4WD. Comfortable seating. The only problem I have had so far is the engine light came on the second day of owning, rang Service Center booked in for next morning, engine light had gone out but staff were more than happy to take a look at it anyway. Has not missed a beat just love it. The biggest problem I have now is trying to stay out of it.

Purchased in September 2021 for $63,000.00.

Bill F
Bill FSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great vehicle

I use my car to tow a 2100 kg Caravan as well as transport around town
The car gets used daily
It gets serviced normally 10000 ks however when towing get serviced every 5000 ks we have had no problems. Fuel economy around town exceptional

Purchased in March 2019 for $21,500.00.

Aaron
AaronSydney, NSW

2017 isuzu dmax lsu 4x4 duel cab

2017 isuzu dmax lsu 4x4 duel cab the strongest and most reliable car I've ever owned I drive it like I stole it and it's never let me down or left me stranded I use it daily,to tow trailers,4x4, service it when it's due best car

Purchased in March 2017 for $57,000.00.

rskb4
rskb4Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Such a great vehicle, suits the whole family .

At the moment the car is a partial daily driver, with the intent to take travelling later in life around Australia and also use as a ute for lugging stuff around like its original purpose is ! Has only just had its first service and there is nothing major to complain about. A lot of people complain about the safety features, but I have no issues with these. The only thing that i could say is a bit of a hassle is that there are not enough tie downs in the tub and the plane sale and hard cover hinder the length of items you can put in the tub itself. The car drives and feels so smooth. Extremely happy with the purchase. Would i buy it again ? YES

Purchased in June 2021 for $63,000.00.

Bernard
Bernard Sydney, NSW

My first Ute and I loved it. Won Drive 2021 car of the year, best safety tech ever. And it looks awesome.

I use my car for work and play.
Once a year service.
No issues with this car as yet.
I love to take it for a drive on the beach, it handles well in 4WD mode.

Purchased in January 2021 for $65,000.00.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Basho81
Basho81AU

Honest, Reliable 4x4

I use this Ute as my daily and also do alot of offroading in it. I bought the SX base model and then modified it. I can't think of a fault worth noting, only small issues. I have had the ute for 5 years now and have no plans on selling it for atleast another 5 years. I love it. Very reliable. Average service cost is $400. If you want fancy interiors then this Ute is not for you.

Purchased in July 2016 for $37,200.00.

Phillip J.
Phillip J.Gippsland, VIC

Excellent so far, traveled 13,000kms in 10 weeks, towing small pop up van.

Many sealed roads and highways in Northern Australia do not show up on Sat nav. For an off road vehicle I would have thought that mapping info would be current.

tdock86Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Cracked inner guard. Twice in 12 months

Purchased in April 2017.

Mick
MickPerth, WA

Best ute I have ever owned

Purchased in August 2009 for $26,308.00.

Nick S
Nick SHunter Region, NSW

Quite disappointing for a 2016 vehicle.

Purchased in June 2018 at Isuzu Mebourne for $40,000.00.

christo
christoPerth, WA

Twin cab with canopy 2014 4wd auto SX

Bought for 27000 at about 130000kms done a couple of years ago.About 13000 cheaper than GX diesel Prado. 5spd auto 3 litre turbo diesel.Isuzu canopy .Rated 3500kgs towing but will have 1.2 tonne camper trailer Honestly use 9,2 litres per 100.I’d say between 800 to 900km range on 76 litre tank ( not towing).Very happy with it

Purchased in January 2019 for $27,000.00.

jasmoonee
jasmooneeMid North Coast, NSW

Test drive first

Purchased in November 2020.

TransmissionAutomatic
Joseph
JosephSydney Surrounds, NSW

What a lemon

I took a new D'max for a test run and what a piece of rubbish. the manual gearbox is still faulty as it crunches when going from first to second and second to third when cold. This is a problem with the previous models and Isuzu refuse to fix it. Also the consul between the seats is too high and my elbow hits it when trying to go around a corner. The suspension is still the same as previous models so therefore is unable to carry the stated load. Also the brakes are the same as previous so wont pull up the vehicle when fully loaded. Do not know how it received a 5 star safety rating. I suppose if you drive it MT and run into a concrete block then it may be ok but who does that.
Joseph

Purchased in December 2018 for $50,000.00.

kenasked
D-MAX

I own a current model dmax dual cab LSU and have had an ongoing limp mode problem, the first time this happened it was towed to local dealership where they said the problem was a software issue and updated the programme, this extraordinary given my car had only done 5000kms, so fast forward 2 months and once again back into limp mode. DPF light flashing ( indicating burn is necessary) however burn does not take place after getting to temperature, DPF still flashing after driving some 4kms then front camera lights up on dash saying unavailable and it is a clear day, along with this several other dash icons. So DMAX going back to dealership tomorrow morning, fingers crossed they actually get it sought once and for all!

6wafr

Ken, I'm no electronics expert but if the dealers can't nail what the problem is they should replace the apple car play.
WF

ken

WF thanks for your advice, will post mechanics assessment once received
Cheers
Ken

Tom J.
Tom J.asked
D-MAX 4x4 LS-U (2017-2021)

blew my diff, just wondering if a LSD rodeo diff would bolt straight in?

Phillip J.
Phillip J.asked
D-MAX 4x4 X-Terrain (2020-2021)

I am traveling around northern Australia and have found that many sealed roads and highways are not on the sat nav. Can this be upgraded?

FoxReviews
FoxReviews

The updates would be available when the GPS service is updated, either Tom Tom or Navman company must create this update for the native gps to reflect this.

Google Maps seem to be better with the unsealed roads in my experience, and you can download your maps for offline use.

tdock86

I upgraded mine and it seemed to fix it. Can’t speak for where you are but definitely helped on the East Coast of Oz and through Sydney. I have a 2017 LSU. Popped out the as card, put it into the computer and paid $160 for 3 or so years worth of free updates? Bit of a rip off in hindsight but worth it plus do a lot of driving with no reception and love the offline maps on gps. Also I’ve heard dealers quoting anywhere from $350-$1000 to do what I did... pretty sure I got the name of the nav website from Isuzu website FAQ. Good luck.

Get an answer from our members and Isuzu representatives

Compare all 11 Isuzu D-MAX
CategoryUtesUtesUtesUtes
Starting Price $38,513$53,369$51,097$55,230
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and Manual
Drive TypeRear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels16" Steel17" Alloy16" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors 2 to 442 to 42 to 4
Seats 2 to 552 to 54 to 5
Fuel Consumption7.7 L/100km7.7 L/100km7.9 L/100km7.9 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 76 L76 L76 L76 L
Engine4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel
Engine Code4JJ1-TCX4JJ1-TCX4JJ1-TC4JJ1-TC
Max Power140kW @ 3600 rpm140kW @ 3600 rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm
Max Torque450Nm @ 1600-2600 rpm450Nm @ 1600-2600 rpm430Nm @ 2000-2200rpm430Nm @ 2000-2200rpm
Country of ManufactureThailandThailandThailandThailand
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Tray TypeCab Chassis and Pick UpPick UpCab Chassis and Pick UpPick Up
Cab Options Dual, Extra and SingleDualDual, Extra and SingleDual and Extra
Maximum Payload1,300 kg1,040 kg1,034 kg1,029 kg
Ground Clearance225 mm235 mm225 mm235 mm
Manufacturer Warranty6 year(s)6 year(s)6 year(s)6 year(s)
Dimensions