RC.I, RA, RC.II
See the Best Utes in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Isuzu

Expert Review

D-MAX X-Terrain

Check out our in-depth expert review of the best Isuzu has to offer; the 2021 D-MAX X-Terrain. Our article and accompanying video take you through everything you need to know about one of Australia's most popular 4x4 utes.

Read Now

D-MAX SX

The base model D-MAX has plenty to offer. We gave the D-MAX SX a full write-up and put everything you need to see on video so you can decide if this 4x2 ute is right for you.

Read Now

• Features

Sharon
Sharon

Love it

Great, smooth drive, feels like I’m driving a sedan not a 4WD. Comfortable seating. The only problem I have had so far is the engine light came on the second day of owning, rang Service Center booked in for next morning, engine light had gone out but staff were more than happy to take a look at it anyway. Has not missed a beat just love it. The biggest problem I have now is trying to stay out of it.

Purchased in September 2021 for $63,000.00.

Bill F
Bill FSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great vehicle

I use my car to tow a 2100 kg Caravan as well as transport around town
The car gets used daily
It gets serviced normally 10000 ks however when towing get serviced every 5000 ks we have had no problems. Fuel economy around town exceptional

Purchased in March 2019 for $21,500.00.

Aaron
AaronSydney, NSW

2017 isuzu dmax lsu 4x4 duel cab

2017 isuzu dmax lsu 4x4 duel cab the strongest and most reliable car I've ever owned I drive it like I stole it and it's never let me down or left me stranded I use it daily,to tow trailers,4x4, service it when it's due best car

Purchased in March 2017 for $57,000.00.

rskb4
rskb4Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Such a great vehicle, suits the whole family .

At the moment the car is a partial daily driver, with the intent to take travelling later in life around Australia and also use as a ute for lugging stuff around like its original purpose is ! Has only just had its first service and there is nothing major to complain about. A lot of people complain about the safety features, but I have no issues with these. The only thing that i could say is a bit of a hassle is that there are not enough tie downs in the tub and the plane sale and hard cover hinder the length of items you can put in the tub itself. The car drives and feels so smooth. Extremely happy with the purchase. Would i buy it again ? YES

Purchased in June 2021 for $63,000.00.

Bernard
Bernard Sydney, NSW

My first Ute and I loved it. Won Drive 2021 car of the year, best safety tech ever. And it looks awesome.

I use my car for work and play.
Once a year service.
No issues with this car as yet.
I love to take it for a drive on the beach, it handles well in 4WD mode.

Purchased in January 2021 for $65,000.00.

Basho81
Basho81AU

Honest, Reliable 4x4

I use this Ute as my daily and also do alot of offroading in it. I bought the SX base model and then modified it. I can't think of a fault worth noting, only small issues. I have had the ute for 5 years now and have no plans on selling it for atleast another 5 years. I love it. Very reliable. Average service cost is $400. If you want fancy interiors then this Ute is not for you.

Purchased in July 2016 for $37,200.00.

Phillip J.
Phillip J.Gippsland, VIC

Excellent so far, traveled 13,000kms in 10 weeks, towing small pop up van.

Many sealed roads and highways in Northern Australia do not show up on Sat nav. For an off road vehicle I would have thought that mapping info would be current.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Mick
MickPerth, WA

Best ute I have ever owned

Purchased in August 2009 for $26,308.00.

christo
christoPerth, WA

Twin cab with canopy 2014 4wd auto SX

Bought for 27000 at about 130000kms done a couple of years ago.About 13000 cheaper than GX diesel Prado. 5spd auto 3 litre turbo diesel.Isuzu canopy .Rated 3500kgs towing but will have 1.2 tonne camper trailer Honestly use 9,2 litres per 100.I’d say between 800 to 900km range on 76 litre tank ( not towing).Very happy with it

Purchased in January 2019 for $27,000.00.

Hasnt let me down

Bought my 2011 Dmax second hand in 2013. Fuel economy is great. Never had any issues other than needing a new clutch after burning the original out on our driveway lugging trailer loads of pavers out in a trailer. Its now done 190,000km and hasnt let me down. Ive had loads of different trucks over the years and isuzu have been the most reliable ive found.

Purchased for $26.00.

ardy01
ardy01

Great truck apart from minor issues

Hi bought this in late 2017 to replace a Toyota Hilux I had owned for 10 years.
When I first test drove it I bought it. Suited me perfectly.
Only 2 issues one is important to me the other not so much.
1. The bluetooth connection to my phone is almost unusable, so I have a separate unit to make calls etc. This means I have an AUX cable to play music from my phone but that doesn't always work. It's a PITA.
2. Turn off the radio and the road noise is quite bad. This is a minor issue for me.
It's done 60ks with no issues. Great truck.

Purchased in September 2017 at Online for $35,000.00.

Harley
HarleyNorth-West & West coast, TAS

Dmax the great

I've just got my 3rd Dmax and just love it. We tow with it and just love going places. Haven't had any issues with any of em. Great for towing and good off road. Fully recommended Isuzu Dmax.

Purchased in August 2019 for $34,000.00.

Bateup
BateupSouth East Queensland, QLD

Tough and Reliable Ute

Purchased in November 2013 at Isuzu Dealers for $38,490.00.

RENE
RENESouth East Queensland, QLD

SO HAPPY TO OWN TWO OF THEM

One for work and one for family transport...
no big issues but on the next service I will get checked gear shifting as it sometime holding in lower gear and higher rpm longer on my LS M , on my SX is perfect no matter if the aircon is on.

Purchased in June 2018.

Great Ute!

If you want a pretty ute at the sacrifice of reliability, don't buy a DMAX.
Bought my ute brand new in Jan 2019 after driving one for work for a few years and can't fault them!
If you're buying a Dual Cab 4x4 and your decision is influenced by its interior looks, you clearly haven't done your research!

Purchased in January 2019.

Tom J.
Tom J.asked
D-MAX 4x4 LS-U (2017-2021)

blew my diff, just wondering if a LSD rodeo diff would bolt straight in?

Phillip J.
Phillip J.asked
D-MAX 4x4 X-Terrain (2020-2021)

I am traveling around northern Australia and have found that many sealed roads and highways are not on the sat nav. Can this be upgraded?

FoxReviews
FoxReviews

The updates would be available when the GPS service is updated, either Tom Tom or Navman company must create this update for the native gps to reflect this.

Google Maps seem to be better with the unsealed roads in my experience, and you can download your maps for offline use.

tdock86

I upgraded mine and it seemed to fix it. Can’t speak for where you are but definitely helped on the East Coast of Oz and through Sydney. I have a 2017 LSU. Popped out the as card, put it into the computer and paid $160 for 3 or so years worth of free updates? Bit of a rip off in hindsight but worth it plus do a lot of driving with no reception and love the offline maps on gps. Also I’ve heard dealers quoting anywhere from $350-$1000 to do what I did... pretty sure I got the name of the nav website from Isuzu website FAQ. Good luck.

Mick Dasked
D-MAX

i have a 2021 Dmax LSU space cab, it only has rear parking sensors can i add front parking sensors ?

tdock86

No idea sorry Mick D, I have a 2017 LS-U. They were pretty basic compared to the new ones.

Mick D

thanks, was thinking they might have the wiring loom there but as its not an X Terrain no front sensors

Get an answer from our members and Isuzu representatives

Compare all 11 Isuzu D-MAX
CategoryUtesUtesUtesUtes
Starting Price $38,513$53,369$51,097$55,230
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and Manual
Drive TypeRear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels16" Steel17" Alloy16" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors 2 to 442 to 42 to 4
Seats 2 to 552 to 54 to 5
Fuel Consumption7.7 L/100km7.7 L/100km7.9 L/100km7.9 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 76 L76 L76 L76 L
Engine4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel4 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo Diesel
Engine Code4JJ1-TCX4JJ1-TCX4JJ1-TC4JJ1-TC
Max Power140kW @ 3600 rpm140kW @ 3600 rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm
Max Torque450Nm @ 1600-2600 rpm450Nm @ 1600-2600 rpm430Nm @ 2000-2200rpm430Nm @ 2000-2200rpm
Country of ManufactureThailandThailandThailandThailand
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Tray TypeCab Chassis and Pick UpPick UpCab Chassis and Pick UpPick Up
Cab Options Dual, Extra and SingleDualDual, Extra and SingleDual and Extra
Maximum Payload1,300 kg1,040 kg1,034 kg1,029 kg
Ground Clearance225 mm235 mm225 mm235 mm
Manufacturer Warranty6 year(s)6 year(s)6 year(s)6 year(s)
Dimensions