Ivory Coat Grain Free Dry Dog Food

Ivory Coat Grain Free Dry Dog Food

3.2 from 57 reviews · View Details

2.6

Vomiting

When our dog turned 2 we switched to the adult range and immediately he started vomiting. Have switched back to the lamb based puppy formula. However, we have been advised that this dog food is not good.

Purchased in July 2020.

Flavour(s) PurchasedLamb & Sardine
Jennifer O.

Jennifer O.Gippsland, VIC

Ditch this product ASAP!

We’ve fed our schnauzer Ivory coat for her whole life - 3.5yrs. In Aug 2020 she started vomiting blood & had diarrhea so badly We had to take her to Bet where she stayed overnight for hydration & monitoring. She was a VERY sick girl. And the $1000 vet bill was also hard to swallow! Upon chatting to our local pet shop I found they no longer sells it due to the terrible horror stories of dogs getting sick. She said the company have been bought by a Chinese company whose standards aren’t nearly as regulated. I have ditched it for another brand now.

Purchased in May 2020 at Pet Circle for A$90.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Real Pet Food Co.Ivory Coat

Great Ingredients but can't stand associated farts

Made my dog have the most foul farts of his entire life. It's too bad we love the ingredients and thought it would be good food for him. He loves the taste but the aftermath is insufferable. Going back to Blackhawk asap just for the fresh air.

Purchased in September 2020 at Bishops for A$125.00.

joybelle48

joybelle48Melbourne, Victoria

UPSET STOMACH

Stars may be unfair because it may be our dogs digestive system. Dog loves it . Read another users comments about stinky farts, diarrhea. I researched & found out it could be because dog is a fast eater. Had a bag full left so fed chicken and rice for a day. Now partly softening the dry food with hot water and feeding with half chicken & rice. Normal pooh now & not so smelly. I believe it is good quality so will use this bag but will gradually change to good brand vegan food such as Veganpet. Wholly Aus owned, human grade so if the shops have empty shelves in Melb we will share it. Smile.

Purchased in July 2020.

Sharon

SharonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Disappointed

I've been using the puppy Ivory coat on our 13 mth old boy and he has had a beautifully shiny coat and no smell to him and he loved it!!! Just bought first bag of adult, Lamb and he really is not happy with it, he now has really bad breath and he smells !!!! Also I have noticed he is shedding so much hair, where before he hardly shed any........ very disappointed considering the price for this food.

Purchased in June 2020 for A$110.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Lisa V

Lisa V

Very sick dog after eating Ivory Coat :(

I bought this a week ago & since introducing it, my dog has been vomiting & very lethargic. Totally not her usual energetic self. I don't recommend this product at all! Such a shame as the idea of natural, grain free is what our pets deserve!

Purchased in July 2020 at PetStock Physical store.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Jen

JenFar North Queensland, QLD

Product changed

Purchased at Petbarn Physical store.

Olivia

OliviaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

The ingredients have changed and is making my dogs sick

I have been buying this brand for several years now but something has definitely changed over the past ~4 months. The kibble is now foul smelling and is making my dogs vomit. I originally thought it was just an off bag but then I bought another one and had the exact same issue. One of my dogs has been on this brand since he was a puppy but I will definitely be changing now.

Purchased in April 2020.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Gill

GillPerth, WA

Chicken and coconut oil.

My dogs have are ivory coat for 3 years with no problems. I bought the chicken and coconut oil and started it on the Friday, by the sunday, one of my dogs became very unwell with gastro. It has took over 2 weeks for him to get better. At one point it was touch and go with him. We think it was the food as due to quarantine we haven't been anywhere and the smell coming from the new large bag was overpowering. I will never buy this flavour again!

Purchased in April 2020 at PetStock for A$129.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult

Disappointing

Bought this after being told it was good. Both dog's now have reflux which is new and one is occasionally vomiting. Shame I bought the giant bag for while in quarantine. Have no way of returning the bag as I am rural and takes hours to drive to a shop.

Flavour(s) PurchasedTurkey & Duck
Shell

Thanks for that but it would take over an hour to drive back to where I bought it from. Also, I did introduce the food slowly. Over weeks not days.

Maggie

MaggieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Changing brands....

We have also been using Ivory Coat for nearly 3 years but the last 2 bags (chicken and coconut grain free) have had a pretty awful smell and the kibble is a much darker colour. I am now researching other brands.

Purchased in January 2020 at Petbarn.

Danielle K.

Danielle K.Sydney, NSW

They've changed the formula

My dog has eaten this her whole life ( 2.5 years) & eaten the same flavour ( turkey and duck) with no issues- she loved it. However, when i opened the latest new bag i noticed the kibble biscuits were half the size of before and very coated in what I'll call seasoning...? She was eating it reluctantly but started to have noticeable digestive issues ( foul smelling stools and gas) then just flat out refused it. They never answer the phone & i returned the bag for a refund. She is fine now she's not eating the ivory coat.

Purchased in December 2019 at Petbarn Online store for A$26.00.

Flavour(s) PurchasedTurkey & Duck
JH

JHGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

This product has changed!

We’ve been using Ivory Coat Grain Free Chicken and Coconut Oil for a long time now, with no problems. Unfortunately the last bag we bought had a different and very distinct smell. Our dog has started to refuse it. Such a shame, because we’ve had no issues up until now. We’re concerned and have decided to try another brand.

Purchased in December 2019.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult

LynOsmington Western Australia

Noticed a change

I had been purchasing Ivory Coat Grain Free for my two dogs since it first came out and was always happy and the dogs loved it but now with the last 2 bags purchased, they have often refused to eat it and one particularly, will walk away and go hungry. I have noticed that on occasions, one of the dogs particularly ends up with an upset stomach for no reason and I can only put it down to the Ivory Coat. I have now stopped buying it

Purchased in November 2019.

Simon C

Ok I rate it, but reading reviews, sold to Chinese and changing size of kibble and diarrhoea concerns me greatly

I've used the Ivory Coat for years. I've tried several other brands and several have had mouldy kibble (white mould).
Never had bad mould.
I did notice in the September October time frame my seal on the 2 kg bag was different. Thinner and didn't seal as easily. I have noticed now this is the norm.
Sometimes my dogs stools are soft, I generally use the puppy variety which is the chicken flavour and smaller kibble.
Haven't noticed any size change in the Kibble, but going to research when this company was bought by Chinese company as that's the time when things change.

Like when they tried changing the flavour of bbq shapes, anyone still remember that?

Maybe it's time to look for an alternative. I do rate this kibble though.

Purchased in November 2019 for A$31.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Side Effects No
Flavour(s) PurchasedChicken (for Puppy)
Simon C

So I've decided to go off Ivory Coat after doing a test the last month noting my dogs are getting sick both vomit and diarahhea eating the ivory coat after its two weeks old.

Lorraine

LorraineSouth Australia

Disapointed

I have been feeding my rotti kangaroo and lamb for three years now I bought a bag 13kg and noticed the kibble was really small and since I have opened the bag and fed him his stool has been sloppy now he only gets that food nothing else so I know it has something to do with the biscuits have you changed anything.

Lily

LilySouth East Queensland, QLD

Perfect for sensitive tummy

our dog have such a sensitive tummy and also picky eater. we tried a few brands of food and so glad that we found ivory coat. our doggy loves it and leave no food behind (i mean it when i say she is a picky eater. we used to need to hand feed her)

Purchased in January 2017 at Petbarn for A$120.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Side Effects No
Flavour(s) PurchasedChicken with Coconut Oil, Lamb & Kangaroo, Lamb with Coconut Oil (for Puppy large breed) and Ocean Fish & Salmon
Girl

GirlPerth, WA

Dont try it

Bought it yesterday, my pup loved it but now he is having diarrhoea! I think I fell for the good reviews and bought this pricey bag , which Im regretting now.

Purchased in November 2019 at City Farmers for A$136.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Flavour(s) PurchasedOcean Fish & Salmon
Rosie

Rosie

Perfect for dog with allergy

Switched to grain free Chicken and Coconut Oil Flavour for one of my dogs as a suggestion from the vet. Has worked well and her coat is amazing on it!

Purchased in October 2019 at Petbarn Physical store for A$116.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Real Pet Food Co.Ivory Coat

Hi Rosie, Thanks so much for the great feedback. We're thrilled to hear your dog is going well on our Ivory Coat dry food!

Alana G

Alana G

A recent formula change?

We fed our staffy the lamb and kangaroo without incident for a few years but noticed in the last bag that the food had changed shape. We didn't think much of it until the next day when our dog had a super upset stomach which has now lasted a week!

Purchased in September 2019 at Best friends.

See all Ivory Coat Grain Free Dry Dog Food reviews

Joy

Joyasked

Hi our 17 month cavoodle is on the ivory coat chicken grain free puppy food. When would you shift to adult food? He weights 6.7kg and is moderately active. Hadn’t been changing weight so probably fully grown now. Thanks.

Real Pet Food Co.Ivory Coat

Hi Joy, Small to Medium breed puppies can be swapped to an adult formulated food at approximately 12 months of age.
We hope this helps!

PAL

PALasked

My dog loves Ivory Coat (low fat) BUT her breath is very smelly!
Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your question on our Ivory Coat product.
Bad breath is not expected to occur in pets fed out products, and is more commonly an indication the pet has some dental disease, particularly if they are an older animal.

If you haven’t had your dog’s teeth checked recently by your veterinarian, we’d suggest booking in to make sure there are no underlying dental problems.
Your vet clinic can also provide you with some information on maintaining your pets good dental health.
We hope this helps

Ollie

Ollieasked

Is this food a light low calorie

Lyn

Hi Ollie. As far as I know it is not low calorie as that wasn't an issue with my dogs when I began purchasing it. I used to purchase this dog food when it first came out and Australian owned and made, now I see it is now owned by a Chinese company. Towards the mid and end of last year, my dogs would not eat it when previous years they would wolf it down and I am not sure if the recipe has changed since the change of ownership but I do not buy it anymore as I refuse to support an overseas company but most of all not a Chinese owned company. There is a very good pet food which I am now buying which is an Australian owned and made with all Australian ethically sourced ingredients called "Scratch" have a look at their Facebook page or website. Be very careful with some of the products being sold as top pet food, they are shockers.

Real Pet Food Co.Ivory Coat

Hi Ollie, Great question! We have two dry food products in our range that are lower in fat and calories compared to our Adult varieties. These products are suitable for older dogs, less active dogs or for overweight dogs. You are welcome to visit our website to learn more: https://www.ivorycoat.com/en-au/dog-puppy-food-and-grooming/mature-dog.
We hope this information helps

Get an answer from our members and Ivory Coat representatives