Japan Rail Pass Now

Japan Rail Pass Now

See the Best Travel Services in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Japan Rail Pass Now

Anne
Anne

Voucher exchange

Annoying having to stand in long, slow moving lines after a long flight, waiting to exchange the vouchers. A pity the voucher isn't activated some other way - electronically, when first entering a station.

Gary
GaryGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

It is good if you are doing extensive travelling in Japan but very expensive otherwise

The Japan Rail Pass is very expensive, we found it worth it but only because we did a lot of travelling, it would be better if you could buy the exact number of days you needed as we needed just two days more than the cheapest pass. We probably wouldn't travel to Japan again bearing this in mind as it is very expensive to get around without it and with it unless you are just staying in Tokyo. Japan is a great country though and people very helpful and friendly including the JR pass staff.

Paul
PaulSouth East Queensland, QLD

Excellent way to travel

Cumbersome to carry Rail Pass - need to always enter & exit through side gate with attendant instead of just inserting - why can't the Rail Pass be same format as rail card?

Adriana
AdrianaNorth Queensland, QLD

It was ok, it could be improved.

It can't be used in many services within the city train stations, our flight was delayed and arrived very late to Osaka, there was no way we could use our pass and ended up paying 4000 yen as our accommodation was in Kyoto. Otherwise is very good if you are traveling to other cities, it saves a lot of money.

John
JohnGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

We bought a Green pass but no seats available

We wouldnt have bought a green pass if we had have understood the restrictions, we would have bought a standard pass but that wasnt made clear, next time we will know better.

Review collected in partnership with Japan Rail Pass Now

Paid for the fillet steak received the cheese sandwich

Bought the green carriage tickets to ensure we got seats on our trip to the World Cup football
Tried to book the tickets a we needed and told you can only book at an office in Japan
The minute we arrived in Japan we went to JR rail office to book the tickets and there were no seats available
We ended up jammed in the entry carriage with 50 other poor morons

Ian
IanSydney, NSW

Green Pass during Rugby World Cup - Not really effective

Due to the volume of people we could not book seats a lot of the time and the process whereby you had to go to a JR travel office to book the seat was also a problem due to long queues. I could see how it would be a good option normally though it would be great if you could book online and do it before you got to Japan.

Kevin
KevinSouth East Queensland, QLD

Service and staff exceptional - value for money poor.

Trains run on time which is great. Very long delays to get tickets and often sold out so pre-paid green pass was a waste of money. Staff very helpful and courteous- the best! I think Olympics will be a huge issue for JR.

Review collected in partnership with Japan Rail Pass Now

LoSt Pass cannot be replaced!

It is really very convenient if you have it but once you lost it you cannot get another one. Unfortunately for me, I have a 7-day pass and on my fourth day, I lost my pass and when I told a jr staff they said there is no way it can be replaced. So, whats the point of having all your details including your passport number in there?

Luke
LukeSydney, NSW

Paper passes... Are we living in the 1800’s ?

The JR passes are great for long distance travel in japan between major cities
However if you are using a pass for multiple weeks like my two friends and I have the passes get ruined as they are entirely paper and very large (roughly A5 size)

Please get some cards so that we can put them in our wallets.

Economical but inconvenient

A handy pass for travelling without the worry of cost (though in each city you’ll still need an IC card or cash most likely for buses or non JR trains), however the Shinkansen covered by this pass don’t include Nozomi Shinkansen which are by far the more frequent. Suggest you book a reserved seat as far in advance as possible if travelling in busy times as it’s no fun standing in non reserved for over an hour as we did (Kobe To Hiroshima in Sept)

Kate
KateHobart, TAS

Couldn’t catch as many trains as I hoped

I thought the ticket would allow me to access more trains then it did. There are limited JR trains and I ended up buying a lot of tickets as my pass didn’t work on more than 50% of the trains I caught. It is good though for the bullet trains.