Japan Rail Pass Now

Japan Rail Pass Now

See the Best Travel Services in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Japan Rail Pass Now

Anne
Anne

Voucher exchange

Annoying having to stand in long, slow moving lines after a long flight, waiting to exchange the vouchers. A pity the voucher isn't activated some other way - electronically, when first entering a station.

Not good value for us

It was not good value really for us. We travelled nagano-kyoto- tokyo. Too hard to use in Kyoto - ended up stressed, catching wrong trains. Not enough info on the web in English. Have used JR east before and was happy with that. Japan Pass was a waste of money

Gary
GaryGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

It is good if you are doing extensive travelling in Japan but very expensive otherwise

The Japan Rail Pass is very expensive, we found it worth it but only because we did a lot of travelling, it would be better if you could buy the exact number of days you needed as we needed just two days more than the cheapest pass. We probably wouldn't travel to Japan again bearing this in mind as it is very expensive to get around without it and with it unless you are just staying in Tokyo. Japan is a great country though and people very helpful and friendly including the JR pass staff.

Paul
PaulSouth East Queensland, QLD

Excellent way to travel

Cumbersome to carry Rail Pass - need to always enter & exit through side gate with attendant instead of just inserting - why can't the Rail Pass be same format as rail card?

Cornelia
CorneliaSydney, NSW

Poor knowledge

I was horrified to find that their "rail expert" didn't even know that the Shinkansen stopped at Shinagawa, and told me I had to go to Tokyo Station from Haneda to catch a service to Shin Osaka. When I queried this, they corrected the information, but I simply got a "sorry for the inconvenience" from another "expert".

Adriana
AdrianaNorth Queensland, QLD

It was ok, it could be improved.

It can't be used in many services within the city train stations, our flight was delayed and arrived very late to Osaka, there was no way we could use our pass and ended up paying 4000 yen as our accommodation was in Kyoto. Otherwise is very good if you are traveling to other cities, it saves a lot of money.

Improve

We needed to be able to book seats on Shinkansen before we left Australia as it was to late when we arrived and spent most of our travel standing up. We paid for first class because we are older and wearing out so this was a major problem. Other than than as always the staff were great

John
JohnGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

We bought a Green pass but no seats available

We wouldnt have bought a green pass if we had have understood the restrictions, we would have bought a standard pass but that wasnt made clear, next time we will know better.

Review collected in partnership with Japan Rail Pass Now

Paid for the fillet steak received the cheese sandwich

Bought the green carriage tickets to ensure we got seats on our trip to the World Cup football
Tried to book the tickets a we needed and told you can only book at an office in Japan
The minute we arrived in Japan we went to JR rail office to book the tickets and there were no seats available
We ended up jammed in the entry carriage with 50 other poor morons

Ian
IanSydney, NSW

Green Pass during Rugby World Cup - Not really effective

Due to the volume of people we could not book seats a lot of the time and the process whereby you had to go to a JR travel office to book the seat was also a problem due to long queues. I could see how it would be a good option normally though it would be great if you could book online and do it before you got to Japan.

John
JohnSydney, NSW

Unnecessary ..Queuing

Off 10 hour flight had to wait over 1 hour for JP Rail pass Narita airport to Tokyo Ticket.
Was so tired did not order next trip.....2 days later waiting 1.5 hours for other trip tickets.
Only to be told later that I had booked a seat on a cancelled train(was cancelled when I booked it--but not advised)
Waited another 1 hour to move cancelled ticket from PM to AM Ticket same day.
Only to be told later that all train that day was now cancelled (Typoon)
I do not understand why tickets/ seats can not be booked online like plane tickets ?
With Phone SMS message for cancelled trains & advice.

Kevin
KevinSouth East Queensland, QLD

Service and staff exceptional - value for money poor.

Trains run on time which is great. Very long delays to get tickets and often sold out so pre-paid green pass was a waste of money. Staff very helpful and courteous- the best! I think Olympics will be a huge issue for JR.

Find out how Japan Rail Pass Now compares to other Travel Services

LoSt Pass cannot be replaced!

It is really very convenient if you have it but once you lost it you cannot get another one. Unfortunately for me, I have a 7-day pass and on my fourth day, I lost my pass and when I told a jr staff they said there is no way it can be replaced. So, whats the point of having all your details including your passport number in there?

Roisin
RoisinSydney, NSW

Unclear what trains can't take with pass. No extension despite one day of 7 day pass lost due to Typhoon Hagibis.

Had to get off empty train pointlessly despite it going where we wanted to arrive in 20 mins. Had to pay to get back to Tokyo the day after Typhoon Hagibis even though all trains had been cancelled the day before. Small print issues very poor.

Review collected in partnership with Japan Rail Pass Now

Needs to allo booking from home before you arrive in Japan

Need to do what Eurail does -allows bookings from outside of host country including booking seats and posts tickets before you leave home -Japan rail system is too cumbersome and needs to be modernized.