JB Caravans Scorpion

19'6" Tourer, 20'0" Tourer, 20'6" Tourer, 22'0" Tourer and 23'0" SB Tourer

8 questions from our users

Simon Jasked

Scorpion

We’re looking at a 20’ family scorpion. Seems wee set up but wondering whether to spend the extra to go the Scorpion Sting? Has anyone found anything in the base model underdone? Diff seems primarily the electrical capacity.

Steven Roach
Steven Roach

Hi Simon, we bought the Semi Off road, Dirtroader. We have the smaller inverter and find the solar panel & generator do the job for off road for us but ours doesn’t have all the Sting feature. We liked the Sting but just weren’t going full off road. Steve

Thanks very much Steve

Rayna

Raynaasked

Scorpion

I have a 2017 JB Scorpiin Sting 21’6.
It has the two water tanks in front of the axles and another water tank and great water tank behind the axle. When I’m free camping can I allocate which front tank of water I want to use or do I have no control over this? I can’t find any valve under the van except to empty the tanks to grade.
TIA

Scorpion

G'day Rayna, Under the fridge in the cupboard you will find 2 water pumps one is the designated drinking water the other draws water from the 2 front tanks, you will find 2 shut off valves on the top of this pump (part of the plumbing). You will have to shut one off, check your water water levels then run a tap for a few minutes to determine which valve draws from which of the front tanks.
Cheers Nigel

Betsy bono

Betsy bonoasked

Scorpion

How do I empty Grey water on the JB scorpion sting?

Macray

Macrayasked

Scorpion

Looking at purchasing a Scorpion Sting 21'6 Caravan. Has anyone had any problems? We have scoured the internet and we can only find positive feedback on product and company as a whole.
Would love to hear any feedback, Cheers.

Scorpion

The main problem is that JB are building top quality tough vans so as a consequence they seem to be gaining momentum and are selling heaps more vans, because people like yourself are researching and can't find many (or any) negatives.
This seems to be creating a problem at the coal face, because if there are any minor problems like small leaks etc (all vans have some problems, some brands problems are horrendous! JB's in my experience are minor) it is getting harder to get booked in for warranty service, last booking couldn't get in for over a month and then only because they squeezed me in.
The more vans they sell the worse it will get, until they realise and address the problem.
That Scorpion Sting is no doubt one of the best, looking toughest most comfortable vans on the market, and will fill you with pride as people and other JB owners come over to admire it. Please Please Please don't buy it!

Helen
Helen

We have the 2017 Scorpion sting 20’6 and live on the road full time , this is our 3rd caravan and I have to say we will never buy another brand , this van has it all everything works and is exceptional quality , we mostly stay in caravan parks but when free camping it’s just amazing you don’t need to worry about power and we can still use the coffee machine ! We have travelled off road and on the dustiest roads we sealed the door vent and the bottom fridge vent and left the rest open then opened up the scooper vent and we were just amazed that there was nothing at all in the van , also the service is just as everyone says it is the Caboolture team go above and beyond , do yourself a real favour buy one of these caravans , you really won’t be disappointed!!!

Haso
Haso

I have the 2018 21'6 Scorpion Sting.
No issues found, its is dust free when towed along dusty or gravel roads.
I am very happy with my Van

Darryl

Darrylasked

Scorpion

Thinking of buying. JB Scorpian 20.6 and would like to know if am able to tow with 2017 Ford Ranger (Wildtrack)?
Darryl

Krakka
Krakka

Hi Darryl
The ranger is rated at 3.5 tonne towing capacity.
You won't have no problems towing the scorpion at all.
To work out how much weight you can carry in your van you need to find out what your gcm on the ranger is.
Once obtained add 3500 to the empty caravan weight and take it away from your gcm that will give exactly how much of a payload you can have in your van.
Hope that helps.
Great choice in caravan!.

G'day Darryl
My limited edition (20.6 Scorpion) gvm is 3500kg
I tow it with a 200 series diesel guzzling landcruiser that can easily tow 3500kg but when I took the towball weight of 290kg and all the other stuff fitted to the car (extra tank, roof rack with pod, foxwing awning, tool box draws, what's in them and an Engel etc) into account I had to get a Lovells GVM upgrade that cost me over $4k to ensure I was legal.
My point is you need to get all your weights together then go down to your local Ford dealer and get them to check it, don't rely on poorly constructed confusing advice that tells you what you want to hear.

Here's some information about the Ford ranger

With the proliferation of vehicles rated to 3,500kg of braked towing over recent years, are vehicle manufacturers playing smoke and mirrors with their published braked towing capacity?

Generally it’s the 4X4 vehicles and in particular the 4X4 utes and dual cab utes which are most commonly awarded this esteemed badge, effectively creating the perception that you are able in fact, to tow a 3,500kg caravan.

So we’ve decided to test the theory and look at one of the big players in the market – The Ford Ranger.

Case Study:

The Ford Ranger

It’s billed as class-leading towing capacity of 3,500kg, so lets take a look at some of the facts. We already know it can tow 3,500kg right? Wrong… and we’ll get to that in a minute.

GVM or Gross Vehicle Mass. In simple terms, this is the most that a vehicle can weigh with all its occupants, fuel, fridge, holiday gear and the dog.

Kerb Weight – Unlike GVM, kerb weight is the unladen vehicle weight.

GCM or Gross Combined Mass – The maximum amount of weight that both the vehicle and its trailer can weigh.

Ball Weight – The force exerted downwards on a vehicle’s tow-ball by a caravan or trailer.

Taking a look at the Ranger itself, the published GVM is 3,200kg with a GCM of 6,000kg. Assume we’re towing the maximum trailer weight of 3,500kg, this will drop our GCM down to 2,500kg. This is the maximum the Ranger can now weigh.

If we now subtract the kerb weight of 2,271kg from the remaining GCM of 2,500kg, we’re left with a paltry 229kg to play with. We haven’t even factored in the ball-weight of the caravan yet and that 229kg needs to cater for this as well as any aftermarket products such as bull-bars, tow-bars, fridges and the like.

The rule of thumb on ball weights is that it should be within 10% of your total trailer weight. Without even so much as a mars bar in the fridge of your caravan, assume that the ball-weight comes in at around 350kg of downward force added to your GCM. Technically, this means your vehicle and caravan combo has moved into illegal weight territory and you’re not even in the drivers seat yet, so remember – leave the dog behind.

Whilst we’ve used the Ford Ranger as an example in this instance, we’re pretty damn sure it isn’t the only naughty kid in the class, but with more and more vehicle manufacturers upping the ante in the braked towing department, we wonder if there will be any wool left on the sheep’s back.

So before you hitch up next time, remember to have a think about the overall weight of your set-up and whether you could be pushing the boundary of weight legalities.

Hope this opens your eyes enough to do due diligence.
The scorpion is a fantastic van try to ensure you get the lithium batteries if you intend to use it mostly off the grid (I'll never go back to the AGM lead batteries) especially if you get the 218lt compressor fridge option Awesome!
Cheers Nigel

Wazza
Wazza

There is also the alternative option of investing in a GVM upgrade suspension kit and a BTC [Braked Towing Capacity] upgrade e.g. Lovells...that way you increase the load capacity for your tug and also increase the towing weight capacity allowing for extra weight in the van [ properly distributed of course ]. A GVM upgrade will add an extra 500 kgs on top of the standard 3500 kgs and the BTC up to 4000 kgs....all compliance approved and peace of mind about being over the weight limit for vehicle/caravan......just a thought

Paul

Paulasked

Scorpion

I have water in side lights and was told it's a come problem and to drill hole in bottom of light. Is this due to poor quality of light or bad batch?

Scorpion

Drill holes and you will get dust and thirsty bugs in there as well. Took mine to JB but am going to have to take it back again.

fishasked

Scorpion

Hi we a 2012 Nissan Diesel Pathfinder thinking of buying 17ft 2013 JB Scorpion, any thoughts?

Brian

Stuch

We have 21ft dirt roader with Jeep Grand Cherokee. The van is fantastic. Quality of finish and after sales service cannot be faulted. If you buy one you will not be disappointed. We have been on some very bad roads without any issues.

Rossco

Hi, You don't state whether it is 2 or 4 wheel drive, but towing with the 2 wd base model, the JB Scorpion is within the legal towing limit by 260kg, so no problems there.
I found our 19'6" JB tows better than the same size Concept Newlands, clearly due to the superior suspension of the JB.
Best thing is to hook up to the JB you have your eye on and see if you are happy with the performance o both your tow vehicle and van.

Thanks all yes Pathfinder 4WD

chris

chrisasked

Scorpion

I have a JB Scorpian 18' bought in march 2015. having trouble with battery life, wondering if anyone else is.

contrary to being told I should get 3-4 days 12v power without sun I barely get 1.5 days before the low battery light (11.8volts) flashes and have had to buy a 1kva generator as a fall back. This is in cool weather with a couple of lights on for say 6 hours, tv on for 6 hours and around 10-15 min of pump activitiy.

Has anyone looked at an extra flexible solar panel on the roof and/or lithium phosphate batteries?

axe
axe

Hi Chris, 6 hours of Tv would certainly drain the batteries. Being a scorpion (Compressor Fridge) you would also be running the fridge off 12v.

Stuch

I have 3 100amp batteries and 3 150 watt panels which will hold up for at least 2 days without sun.
Fridge and telly draw a lot. You really need an expert to determine true capacity.

Rossco

I had similar problems with my JB Scorpion 19'6" when the van was just 3 weeks old. Even had a blackout the first night we had the van.
Turns out the batteries are supplied by Battery Stop in Melbourne, who also supply batteries to other local manufacturers....because they are (IMHO) cheap and nasty. I am told the batteries ( AGM ) are imported from China and then Battery Stop stick their label on the batteries. I replaced the batteries with Century batteries of same power and no problems. Purchased them from Battery World who told me the only batteries they had problems with in new or near new vans were sourced from Battery Stop.
Have to give the highest praise to JB who re-credited my bank account for the cost of the new batteries, but make sure you discuss any issues with JB before spending any money. Battery Stop would only give credit for one battery, where both were faulty. Not much confidence in their own product, but JB put everything right.

Get an answer from our members and JB Caravans representatives