JB Caravans

JB Caravans Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

Dirt Roader, Dreamline Platinum, Expanda, Gator, Milano and Scorpion

51 questions from our users

Jimbobadgy

Jimbobadgyasked

Dirt Roader

Is there a trick to filling the water tanks on a 20'6" Dirtroader? Water is coming out of the filler but gauges only indicate 1/2 full. I am also haing trouble getting water in as it comes out after about 30 secs - 1 min.

Kerry

Kerryasked

Milano

Does the 2013 model come with an investor?

Darryl

Darrylasked

Scorpion

Thinking of buying. JB Scorpian 20.6 and would like to know if am able to tow with 2017 Ford Ranger (Wildtrack)?
Darryl

Hi Darryl
The ranger is rated at 3.5 tonne towing capacity.
You won't have no problems towing the scorpion at all.
To work out how much weight you can carry in your van you need to find out what your gcm on the ranger is.
Once obtained add 3500 to the empty caravan weight and take it away from your gcm that will give exactly how much of a payload you can have in your van.
Hope that helps.
Great choice in caravan!.

G'day Darryl
My limited edition (20.6 Scorpion) gvm is 3500kg
I tow it with a 200 series diesel guzzling landcruiser that can easily tow 3500kg but when I took the towball weight of 290kg and all the other stuff fitted to the car (extra tank, roof rack with pod, foxwing awning, tool box draws, what's in them and an Engel etc) into account I had to get a Lovells GVM upgrade that cost me over $4k to ensure I was legal.
My point is you need to get all your weights together then go down to your local Ford dealer and get them to check it, don't rely on poorly constructed confusing advice that tells you what you want to hear.

Here's some information about the Ford ranger

With the proliferation of vehicles rated to 3,500kg of braked towing over recent years, are vehicle manufacturers playing smoke and mirrors with their published braked towing capacity?

Generally it’s the 4X4 vehicles and in particular the 4X4 utes and dual cab utes which are most commonly awarded this esteemed badge, effectively creating the perception that you are able in fact, to tow a 3,500kg caravan.

So we’ve decided to test the theory and look at one of the big players in the market – The Ford Ranger.

Case Study:

The Ford Ranger

It’s billed as class-leading towing capacity of 3,500kg, so lets take a look at some of the facts. We already know it can tow 3,500kg right? Wrong… and we’ll get to that in a minute.

GVM or Gross Vehicle Mass. In simple terms, this is the most that a vehicle can weigh with all its occupants, fuel, fridge, holiday gear and the dog.

Kerb Weight – Unlike GVM, kerb weight is the unladen vehicle weight.

GCM or Gross Combined Mass – The maximum amount of weight that both the vehicle and its trailer can weigh.

Ball Weight – The force exerted downwards on a vehicle’s tow-ball by a caravan or trailer.

Taking a look at the Ranger itself, the published GVM is 3,200kg with a GCM of 6,000kg. Assume we’re towing the maximum trailer weight of 3,500kg, this will drop our GCM down to 2,500kg. This is the maximum the Ranger can now weigh.

If we now subtract the kerb weight of 2,271kg from the remaining GCM of 2,500kg, we’re left with a paltry 229kg to play with. We haven’t even factored in the ball-weight of the caravan yet and that 229kg needs to cater for this as well as any aftermarket products such as bull-bars, tow-bars, fridges and the like.

The rule of thumb on ball weights is that it should be within 10% of your total trailer weight. Without even so much as a mars bar in the fridge of your caravan, assume that the ball-weight comes in at around 350kg of downward force added to your GCM. Technically, this means your vehicle and caravan combo has moved into illegal weight territory and you’re not even in the drivers seat yet, so remember – leave the dog behind.

Whilst we’ve used the Ford Ranger as an example in this instance, we’re pretty damn sure it isn’t the only naughty kid in the class, but with more and more vehicle manufacturers upping the ante in the braked towing department, we wonder if there will be any wool left on the sheep’s back.

So before you hitch up next time, remember to have a think about the overall weight of your set-up and whether you could be pushing the boundary of weight legalities.

Hope this opens your eyes enough to do due diligence.
The scorpion is a fantastic van try to ensure you get the lithium batteries if you intend to use it mostly off the grid (I'll never go back to the AGM lead batteries) especially if you get the 218lt compressor fridge option Awesome!
Cheers Nigel

Wazza
Wazza

There is also the alternative option of investing in a GVM upgrade suspension kit and a BTC [Braked Towing Capacity] upgrade e.g. Lovells...that way you increase the load capacity for your tug and also increase the towing weight capacity allowing for extra weight in the van [ properly distributed of course ]. A GVM upgrade will add an extra 500 kgs on top of the standard 3500 kgs and the BTC up to 4000 kgs....all compliance approved and peace of mind about being over the weight limit for vehicle/caravan......just a thought

Glendaasked

Dirt Roader

Does anyone know what the wattage for a JB Dirt Roader 3kg washing machine, and would a 1600 watt generator run it?

Chris

I have used my washing machine off a 1500 watt inverter. It's only running a motor, there is no heating which is what takes the big watts.

Glenda

Thank you so much for reply. We have done a bit more research and found that the washing machine only uses less than 300 watts so it’s not a bit load at all.
Thanks again Glenda

Paddy

Paddyasked

Dreamline Platinum

Is there a bypass for direct water supply?

Tony S

Tony Sasked

Dirt Roader

We are looking for a big off roader to tow behind the discovery, so weight shouldn't be a problem. Saw an amazing 22'6" van by Vacationer at the Melbourne show, and also the 23'6" dirt rider from JB, and was wondering what experience you guys have of Vacationer? as the van looked amazing, and JB didn't have the 23'6" with the off road suspension so couldn't really compare.
My challenge is that I can't find many reviews, if any on Vacationer?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Hi Tony
I don't know anything about the vacationer but if you have a look at the JB Milano it is a full off road van 23.6ft with ATX suspension, can't get any better than that.

Chris

Dont know anything re Vacationer. Purchased our JB 20'6" Scorpion in Jan 2014. At the time the Scorpion was JBs premier "off road" model and I think that remains today. Could not fault JBs customer service in 2014 and follow up service since has been exceptional. We are very happy JB customers. Again I dont know anything re JBs Dirt Roader only the "off road" Scorpion model. I would be talking to JB about what model best suits your need. Towing 23'6" in off road conditions could be

Chris

Dont know anything re Vacationer. Purchased our JB 20'6" Scorpion in Jan 2014. At the time the Scorpion was JBs premier "off road" model and I think that remains today. Could not fault JBs customer service in 2014 and follow up service since has been exceptional. We are very happy JB customers. Again I dont know anything re JBs Dirt Roader only the "off road" Scorpion model. I would be talking to JB about what model best suits your need. Towing a long van in "off road" conditions is perhaps not

GLO

GLOasked

Milano

Can not get interior lights to operate

Krakka

Contact your nearest JB Dealer, they will be able to help

Margot Gasked

Dreamline Platinum

Hi we are looking at buying a 2013 Dreamliner. Is it possible to take this off road at all as we are wanting to do free camping. PS this would be our first caravan! Thanks Margot

Scorpion

Personally if I were you for your first van, I think that I would be looking at the dirtroader, because it's suitable for highway and non-aggressive off road so you would get the best of both worlds. To buy a Dreamliner now and find it may not suit your free camping desires could be a disappointment awaiting you, so kit up now and don't look back.
However I think the Dreamliner is lighter so the car you own now may be a factor, do your homework.
What ever you decide if you're getting a JB you won't be disappointed with the quality of build.
It's a bonus if the water tanks have protection from rocks, the more solar the better and carry a generator to charge batteries if you're free camping over several very overcast days.
Get the wikicamps app on your phone and download the maps so you don't need internet access for it to work. I have done a whole year for a total cost of $350 in site fees (we free camp a lot)
Life's good GOOD luck.

Margot G

Thanks so much for your feedback. Will definitely take that on board. So looking forward to just getting going.

Paul

Paulasked

Scorpion

I have water in side lights and was told it's a come problem and to drill hole in bottom of light. Is this due to poor quality of light or bad batch?

Scorpion

Drill holes and you will get dust and thirsty bugs in there as well. Took mine to JB but am going to have to take it back again.

christoasked

Dreamline Platinum

hi, after some advise, have bought a 2014 20ft dreamline, and Im in the process of doing some detailing/ minor maintenance, wondering if you can tell me the paint colour, on the chassis, I know its silver, but that many variations!, was told "platinum"?but have found so many shades!,looking at cleaning up stone ships/ scratches, etc, emailed J B office, must be secret code?, havent had a reply, any info would help. thank you. christo

Stevo

I used Rust guard aerosol, it was a very close match. Can't remember if I got it from an auto shop or hardware store.

christo

thanks steve, its a start.will check with the automotive paint shop. regards

Scorpion

I would call Daniel at JB Caboolture QLD just ask him.

Lisa

Lisaasked

Dirt Roader

How do I make sound come out of the outside speakers?

Stevo

There is a switch on the panel of light switches that operates the external speakers. This is located on the door side and usually is with the external light switch and interior lights for that side of the van. If that does not work try adjusting the balance on the radio menu.

Stuch

You may need to take fad on radio to R or L.
Also sometimes I furn up vol on radio and for some reason this also helps

Allen

Allenasked

JB Caravans

When you are traveling should you have water in your tanks at all times or is it safe to have them empty and fill them when you arrive at your destination.?

Scorpion

I usually just carry enough to last until I arrive at the destination, then fill up. Carrying an extra 180kg is going to increase the fuel consumption and the stopping distance, so why carry it if you don't have to? When I do carry extra water I put it in the front tank to increase the ball weight as my van tows better like that.

Stevo

Personal choice, if we are free camping then I try to keep the tanks full so we can stay longer. If we are using van parks, then we'll keep the levels low for better economy. The van does ride better with full tanks, but it's all down to you to decide.

Johnasked

Dirt Roader

Where are the three water tanks (2 X F and 1 X Grey) on most dirt roaders? I will have a 19'6" DR van.

Stevo

Usually the 2 water tanks are in front of the axles and the grey water behind the second axle. That was how they set up our 20'6 Dirtroader.

Did that formation suite you Stevo. John

Nic

Depending on the lay out of the van will depend on where the tanks go, normally the grey water tank is behind the axle and the fresh water tanks are in front of the axles
and if you have a fresh drinking water tank which is a 65 litre tank will sit between the axles

Krakkaasked

Hi
We are thinking of buying the 2016 23.6 ft Milano has anyone bought one of these ? If so could you give us your thoughts on this model and if you would recommend this van.
Cheers.
Regards Jo & Andre.

Nic

Yes we definitely recommend the Milano although I think the floorplan may have changed since we got ours which is 4 years old. We love it and we have total respect for JB after sales service team who have looked after us magnificently. We have no complaints and certainly did our research before we bought.....we even went to the Brisbane caravan show AFTER we bought and still couldn't find one that would give us what the Milano does. We have lived in our for the full time finding it very livable as our home. You are welcome to phone me (Nic) if you want on 0414974444.

Stuch

We have a 21ft Dirtroader that we got a year ago. We altered the layout to suit us before it was built. The really important thing is the high quality of manufacture and the great after sale service. Would not hesitate to buy one but would not buy that big for me.

Krakka

Thank you for your quick response. Also thank you Nic for allowing me to call & pick your brains it was a pleasure to talk to you
Regards Jo & Andre.

fishasked

Scorpion

Hi we a 2012 Nissan Diesel Pathfinder thinking of buying 17ft 2013 JB Scorpion, any thoughts?

Brian

Stuch

We have 21ft dirt roader with Jeep Grand Cherokee. The van is fantastic. Quality of finish and after sales service cannot be faulted. If you buy one you will not be disappointed. We have been on some very bad roads without any issues.

Rossco

Hi, You don't state whether it is 2 or 4 wheel drive, but towing with the 2 wd base model, the JB Scorpion is within the legal towing limit by 260kg, so no problems there.
I found our 19'6" JB tows better than the same size Concept Newlands, clearly due to the superior suspension of the JB.
Best thing is to hook up to the JB you have your eye on and see if you are happy with the performance o both your tow vehicle and van.

Thanks all yes Pathfinder 4WD

chris

chrisasked

Scorpion

I have a JB Scorpian 18' bought in march 2015. having trouble with battery life, wondering if anyone else is.

contrary to being told I should get 3-4 days 12v power without sun I barely get 1.5 days before the low battery light (11.8volts) flashes and have had to buy a 1kva generator as a fall back. This is in cool weather with a couple of lights on for say 6 hours, tv on for 6 hours and around 10-15 min of pump activitiy.

Has anyone looked at an extra flexible solar panel on the roof and/or lithium phosphate batteries?

axe
axe

Hi Chris, 6 hours of Tv would certainly drain the batteries. Being a scorpion (Compressor Fridge) you would also be running the fridge off 12v.

Stuch

I have 3 100amp batteries and 3 150 watt panels which will hold up for at least 2 days without sun.
Fridge and telly draw a lot. You really need an expert to determine true capacity.

Rossco

I had similar problems with my JB Scorpion 19'6" when the van was just 3 weeks old. Even had a blackout the first night we had the van.
Turns out the batteries are supplied by Battery Stop in Melbourne, who also supply batteries to other local manufacturers....because they are (IMHO) cheap and nasty. I am told the batteries ( AGM ) are imported from China and then Battery Stop stick their label on the batteries. I replaced the batteries with Century batteries of same power and no problems. Purchased them from Battery World who told me the only batteries they had problems with in new or near new vans were sourced from Battery Stop.
Have to give the highest praise to JB who re-credited my bank account for the cost of the new batteries, but make sure you discuss any issues with JB before spending any money. Battery Stop would only give credit for one battery, where both were faulty. Not much confidence in their own product, but JB put everything right.

Robin L

Robin Lasked

Dreamline Platinum

what is the overall dimensions length including drawbar & height including air con 19ft 6in?

Nic

Hi Robin lenght from drawbar to outside of spare wheel is 9.10mtrs and max height from top of air con is 2.91mtrs. Hope this helps you...regards Nic These dementions are for our Milano

We own a 20ft 6 inch, so the dimensions will be different. Sorry I can't assist
Nev

Jeff.

Jeff.asked

JB Caravans

Hi, does anyone know the height of the JB off road caravan? We need to know what height opening we require on our garage or carport.

Nev W

Jeff, you will need a minimum opening of 3.1m.

Agreed. This is for AC on roof

Nev W

Jeff, I should add that the measurement I listed is for the 20ft 6 Scorpion. Other lengths/models may be different.

Rodndi

Rodndiasked

JB Caravans

What is the weight of JB Dirt roader 21 foot please?

Nev W

Rodndi, we own a Scorpion so I don't know the weight of a Dirtroader. You will need to contact your JB caravan dealer. Sorry

Our 21' Dirtroader is 2550 tare

Harvey

Harveyasked

JB Caravans

Height overall of the 20.6ft Dirt Roader?

Graeme