JB Caravans

JB Caravans Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

Scorpion, Dirt Roader, Dreamline Platinum, etc...

58 questions from our users

Jamie

Jamieasked

Dirt Roader

Hi will a dirt road Xtreme make it up to the cape ??

Darrylasked

JB Caravans

Is there a way you can turn off outside speakers on a JB dirt road extreme radio

Alysha

Alyshaasked

Gator

What are the bunk mattress sizes in the Gator. We’ve just bought one and I need to shop for sheets

Rayna

Raynaasked

Scorpion

I have a 2017 JB Scorpiin Sting 21’6.
It has the two water tanks in front of the axles and another water tank and great water tank behind the axle. When I’m free camping can I allocate which front tank of water I want to use or do I have no control over this? I can’t find any valve under the van except to empty the tanks to grade.
TIA

Scorpion

G'day Rayna, Under the fridge in the cupboard you will find 2 water pumps one is the designated drinking water the other draws water from the 2 front tanks, you will find 2 shut off valves on the top of this pump (part of the plumbing). You will have to shut one off, check your water water levels then run a tap for a few minutes to determine which valve draws from which of the front tanks.
Cheers Nigel

Betsy bono

Betsy bonoasked

Scorpion

How do I empty Grey water on the JB scorpion sting?

Macray

Macrayasked

Scorpion

Looking at purchasing a Scorpion Sting 21'6 Caravan. Has anyone had any problems? We have scoured the internet and we can only find positive feedback on product and company as a whole.
Would love to hear any feedback, Cheers.

Scorpion

The main problem is that JB are building top quality tough vans so as a consequence they seem to be gaining momentum and are selling heaps more vans, because people like yourself are researching and can't find many (or any) negatives.
This seems to be creating a problem at the coal face, because if there are any minor problems like small leaks etc (all vans have some problems, some brands problems are horrendous! JB's in my experience are minor) it is getting harder to get booked in for warranty service, last booking couldn't get in for over a month and then only because they squeezed me in.
The more vans they sell the worse it will get, until they realise and address the problem.
That Scorpion Sting is no doubt one of the best, looking toughest most comfortable vans on the market, and will fill you with pride as people and other JB owners come over to admire it. Please Please Please don't buy it!

Helen
Helen

We have the 2017 Scorpion sting 20’6 and live on the road full time , this is our 3rd caravan and I have to say we will never buy another brand , this van has it all everything works and is exceptional quality , we mostly stay in caravan parks but when free camping it’s just amazing you don’t need to worry about power and we can still use the coffee machine ! We have travelled off road and on the dustiest roads we sealed the door vent and the bottom fridge vent and left the rest open then opened up the scooper vent and we were just amazed that there was nothing at all in the van , also the service is just as everyone says it is the Caboolture team go above and beyond , do yourself a real favour buy one of these caravans , you really won’t be disappointed!!!

Haso
Haso

I have the 2018 21'6 Scorpion Sting.
No issues found, its is dust free when towed along dusty or gravel roads.
I am very happy with my Van

Gaynor B

Gaynor Basked

Dreamline Platinum

I have a 2012 dreamline... and i would like to replace curtains with venetian and privacy blinds... im in Adelaide.. any suggestions as to what this could be done please?...

Jimbobadgy

Jimbobadgyasked

Dirt Roader

Is there a trick to filling the water tanks on a 20'6" Dirtroader? Water is coming out of the filler but gauges only indicate 1/2 full. I am also haing trouble getting water in as it comes out after about 30 secs - 1 min.

Kerry

Kerryasked

Milano

Does the 2013 model come with an investor?

Darrylasked

Scorpion

Thinking of buying. JB Scorpian 20.6 and would like to know if am able to tow with 2017 Ford Ranger (Wildtrack)?

Hi Darryl
The ranger is rated at 3.5 tonne towing capacity.
You won't have no problems towing the scorpion at all.
To work out how much weight you can carry in your van you need to find out what your gcm on the ranger is.
Once obtained add 3500 to the empty caravan weight and take it away from your gcm that will give exactly how much of a payload you can have in your van.
Hope that helps.
Great choice in caravan!.

G'day Darryl
My limited edition (20.6 Scorpion) gvm is 3500kg
I tow it with a 200 series diesel guzzling landcruiser that can easily tow 3500kg but when I took the towball weight of 290kg and all the other stuff fitted to the car (extra tank, roof rack with pod, foxwing awning, tool box draws, what's in them and an Engel etc) into account I had to get a Lovells GVM upgrade that cost me over $4k to ensure I was legal.
My point is you need to get all your weights together then go down to your local Ford dealer and get them to check it, don't rely on poorly constructed confusing advice that tells you what you want to hear.

Here's some information about the Ford ranger

With the proliferation of vehicles rated to 3,500kg of braked towing over recent years, are vehicle manufacturers playing smoke and mirrors with their published braked towing capacity?

Generally it’s the 4X4 vehicles and in particular the 4X4 utes and dual cab utes which are most commonly awarded this esteemed badge, effectively creating the perception that you are able in fact, to tow a 3,500kg caravan.

So we’ve decided to test the theory and look at one of the big players in the market – The Ford Ranger.

Case Study:

The Ford Ranger

It’s billed as class-leading towing capacity of 3,500kg, so lets take a look at some of the facts. We already know it can tow 3,500kg right? Wrong… and we’ll get to that in a minute.

GVM or Gross Vehicle Mass. In simple terms, this is the most that a vehicle can weigh with all its occupants, fuel, fridge, holiday gear and the dog.

Kerb Weight – Unlike GVM, kerb weight is the unladen vehicle weight.

GCM or Gross Combined Mass – The maximum amount of weight that both the vehicle and its trailer can weigh.

Ball Weight – The force exerted downwards on a vehicle’s tow-ball by a caravan or trailer.

Taking a look at the Ranger itself, the published GVM is 3,200kg with a GCM of 6,000kg. Assume we’re towing the maximum trailer weight of 3,500kg, this will drop our GCM down to 2,500kg. This is the maximum the Ranger can now weigh.

If we now subtract the kerb weight of 2,271kg from the remaining GCM of 2,500kg, we’re left with a paltry 229kg to play with. We haven’t even factored in the ball-weight of the caravan yet and that 229kg needs to cater for this as well as any aftermarket products such as bull-bars, tow-bars, fridges and the like.

The rule of thumb on ball weights is that it should be within 10% of your total trailer weight. Without even so much as a mars bar in the fridge of your caravan, assume that the ball-weight comes in at around 350kg of downward force added to your GCM. Technically, this means your vehicle and caravan combo has moved into illegal weight territory and you’re not even in the drivers seat yet, so remember – leave the dog behind.

Whilst we’ve used the Ford Ranger as an example in this instance, we’re pretty damn sure it isn’t the only naughty kid in the class, but with more and more vehicle manufacturers upping the ante in the braked towing department, we wonder if there will be any wool left on the sheep’s back.

So before you hitch up next time, remember to have a think about the overall weight of your set-up and whether you could be pushing the boundary of weight legalities.

Hope this opens your eyes enough to do due diligence.
The scorpion is a fantastic van try to ensure you get the lithium batteries if you intend to use it mostly off the grid (I'll never go back to the AGM lead batteries) especially if you get the 218lt compressor fridge option Awesome!
Cheers Nigel

Wazza
Wazza

There is also the alternative option of investing in a GVM upgrade suspension kit and a BTC [Braked Towing Capacity] upgrade e.g. Lovells...that way you increase the load capacity for your tug and also increase the towing weight capacity allowing for extra weight in the van [ properly distributed of course ]. A GVM upgrade will add an extra 500 kgs on top of the standard 3500 kgs and the BTC up to 4000 kgs....all compliance approved and peace of mind about being over the weight limit for vehicle/caravan......just a thought

Glendaasked

Dirt Roader

Does anyone know what the wattage for a JB Dirt Roader 3kg washing machine, and would a 1600 watt generator run it?

Chris

I have used my washing machine off a 1500 watt inverter. It's only running a motor, there is no heating which is what takes the big watts.

Glenda

Thank you so much for reply. We have done a bit more research and found that the washing machine only uses less than 300 watts so it’s not a bit load at all.
Thanks again Glenda

Paddy

Paddyasked

Dreamline Platinum

Is there a bypass for direct water supply?

Tony S

Tony Sasked

Dirt Roader

We are looking for a big off roader to tow behind the discovery, so weight shouldn't be a problem. Saw an amazing 22'6" van by Vacationer at the Melbourne show, and also the 23'6" dirt rider from JB, and was wondering what experience you guys have of Vacationer? as the van looked amazing, and JB didn't have the 23'6" with the off road suspension so couldn't really compare.
My challenge is that I can't find many reviews, if any on Vacationer?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Hi Tony
I don't know anything about the vacationer but if you have a look at the JB Milano it is a full off road van 23.6ft with ATX suspension, can't get any better than that.

Chris

Dont know anything re Vacationer. Purchased our JB 20'6" Scorpion in Jan 2014. At the time the Scorpion was JBs premier "off road" model and I think that remains today. Could not fault JBs customer service in 2014 and follow up service since has been exceptional. We are very happy JB customers. Again I dont know anything re JBs Dirt Roader only the "off road" Scorpion model. I would be talking to JB about what model best suits your need. Towing 23'6" in off road conditions could be

Chris

Dont know anything re Vacationer. Purchased our JB 20'6" Scorpion in Jan 2014. At the time the Scorpion was JBs premier "off road" model and I think that remains today. Could not fault JBs customer service in 2014 and follow up service since has been exceptional. We are very happy JB customers. Again I dont know anything re JBs Dirt Roader only the "off road" Scorpion model. I would be talking to JB about what model best suits your need. Towing a long van in "off road" conditions is perhaps not

GLO

GLOasked

Milano

Can not get interior lights to operate

Krakka

Contact your nearest JB Dealer, they will be able to help

Margot Gasked

Dreamline Platinum

Hi we are looking at buying a 2013 Dreamliner. Is it possible to take this off road at all as we are wanting to do free camping. PS this would be our first caravan! Thanks Margot

Scorpion

Personally if I were you for your first van, I think that I would be looking at the dirtroader, because it's suitable for highway and non-aggressive off road so you would get the best of both worlds. To buy a Dreamliner now and find it may not suit your free camping desires could be a disappointment awaiting you, so kit up now and don't look back.
However I think the Dreamliner is lighter so the car you own now may be a factor, do your homework.
What ever you decide if you're getting a JB you won't be disappointed with the quality of build.
It's a bonus if the water tanks have protection from rocks, the more solar the better and carry a generator to charge batteries if you're free camping over several very overcast days.
Get the wikicamps app on your phone and download the maps so you don't need internet access for it to work. I have done a whole year for a total cost of $350 in site fees (we free camp a lot)
Life's good GOOD luck.

Margot G

Thanks so much for your feedback. Will definitely take that on board. So looking forward to just getting going.

Paul

Paulasked

Scorpion

I have water in side lights and was told it's a come problem and to drill hole in bottom of light. Is this due to poor quality of light or bad batch?

Scorpion

Drill holes and you will get dust and thirsty bugs in there as well. Took mine to JB but am going to have to take it back again.

christoasked

Dreamline Platinum

hi, after some advise, have bought a 2014 20ft dreamline, and Im in the process of doing some detailing/ minor maintenance, wondering if you can tell me the paint colour, on the chassis, I know its silver, but that many variations!, was told "platinum"?but have found so many shades!,looking at cleaning up stone ships/ scratches, etc, emailed J B office, must be secret code?, havent had a reply, any info would help. thank you. christo

Stevo

I used Rust guard aerosol, it was a very close match. Can't remember if I got it from an auto shop or hardware store.

christo

thanks steve, its a start.will check with the automotive paint shop. regards

Scorpion

I would call Daniel at JB Caboolture QLD just ask him.

Lisa

Lisaasked

Dirt Roader

How do I make sound come out of the outside speakers?

Stevo

There is a switch on the panel of light switches that operates the external speakers. This is located on the door side and usually is with the external light switch and interior lights for that side of the van. If that does not work try adjusting the balance on the radio menu.

Stuch
Stuch

You may need to take fad on radio to R or L.
Also sometimes I furn up vol on radio and for some reason this also helps

Allen

Allenasked

JB Caravans

When you are traveling should you have water in your tanks at all times or is it safe to have them empty and fill them when you arrive at your destination.?

Scorpion

I usually just carry enough to last until I arrive at the destination, then fill up. Carrying an extra 180kg is going to increase the fuel consumption and the stopping distance, so why carry it if you don't have to? When I do carry extra water I put it in the front tank to increase the ball weight as my van tows better like that.

Stevo

Personal choice, if we are free camping then I try to keep the tanks full so we can stay longer. If we are using van parks, then we'll keep the levels low for better economy. The van does ride better with full tanks, but it's all down to you to decide.

Johnasked

Dirt Roader

Where are the three water tanks (2 X F and 1 X Grey) on most dirt roaders? I will have a 19'6" DR van.

Stevo

Usually the 2 water tanks are in front of the axles and the grey water behind the second axle. That was how they set up our 20'6 Dirtroader.

Did that formation suite you Stevo. John

Nic
Nic

Depending on the lay out of the van will depend on where the tanks go, normally the grey water tank is behind the axle and the fresh water tanks are in front of the axles
and if you have a fresh drinking water tank which is a 65 litre tank will sit between the axles