Jeep Cherokee KL

Jeep Cherokee KL (2014-2021) Questions & Answers

Also referred to as: Jeep Cherokee KL 2020 and Jeep Cherokee KL 2022. Limited, Trailhawk, Longitude, etc...

10 questions from our users

chefcros

chefcrosasked

Rough gear changes on a 2014 Cherokee sport
What can I do about this

Steven A.

Steven A.asked

Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

Have the transmission problems been fixed now, or is it a bad idea to buy a Cherokee. If they have been fixed, was it just software update or did it require a new transmission.

Bam
Bam

My understanding in the main it was the 4cyl that caused the majority of the 9 speed gearbox problems. The 4cyl didn't have sufficient power / torque and caused the gearbox to over rev etc. Having said that there were 6cyl issues, with poor shifting etc. ZF always maintained it was a software issue for Jeep as mechanically, in their opinion the gearbox was sound. (Jeep were responsible for the software). Having said that my 2014 Trailhawk has done 87,000km with no gearbox issues.
The software is said to have been tweaked again for the MY19 model.

Suren

Surenasked

Hi,
I’m looking at buying a 2015 Jeep Cherokee KL MY15 Limited Champagne 9 Speed Sports Automatic Wagon and I’m looking for some advice or concerns on this model. Any advice?

Glenn

Glennasked

Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

After a few short trips today my 2014 Cherokee Sport would not start. I thought the issue may have been the smart ignition key. Called RACV and he said it was battery. Hooked it up and started immediately. Mechanic said to run the motor for at least 40 minutes to charge battery so I idled the engine for 30 minutes then drove for an hour. When I stopped I tried to start it again and it was dead. Does it sound like it needs a new battery?

Sally

Hi there, I suggest you get the battery tested to see if it is holding any charge or has dead cells, your car may have only started because of the JUMP start from the RACV. I would also ask about whether the alternator is charging the battery. We were told NOT to use our own battery charger and that we would have to spend about $700 to buy a Jeep charger - go figure that one. Good luck

Marek

Marekasked

Problem with stop/start Jeep Cherokee 2015

Sally

Hi Marek, your question is rather general and I am not quite sure what you would like to know. Our Jeep would not start at all, for the first few times they said it was the battery, and so once the battery was recharged it would start, and the next day the car would not start. Finally they said it was not the battery but they did not know what it was and after 3 days in their workshop hooked up to 'life support' they said that there was nothing wrong with the car and we could take it. However when the workshop manager unhooked the car from the leads and tried to start the car it wouldn't even 'tick over' All of our problems came after they added the Patch for the hand brake (after a recall) the air fan ran continually - like a jet engine. There was another customer in Coffs whose car would just stop dead in the middle of the road. Goodness knows what they did to our car to resell it.

Aussie

Aussieasked

Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

Hi guys, I’m looking at buying a 2015 Cherokee longitude am looking for advice on this model and any concerns with it as well.

Cheers!

Bucks05
Bucks05

Hi.....we’ve got a Limited with all the options. It’s very comfortable to drive & handles well. The only issue we’ve had is with noises from seats & sunroof. If you can go without a sunroof, I suggest buying one without one. Most of the noises have been rectified but it took a few trips to the dealer to sort out. Cheers.

Abdulsamee

Abdulsameeasked

Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

Hello all, i am thinking about to buy Jeep Cherokee make year 2015, can anyone help what are the major things i should need to be consider while i am doing inspection? thanks

Maureen Flood
Maureen Flood

Our only concern was the fuel economy, but it was acceptable, We are happy with our

nilbog
nilbog

I'd be worried that sites like this exist http://www.destroymyjeep.com/
It's pretty widely known that something like 1 in 5 jeeps are complete lemons

Lisa L

Lisa Lasked

Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

What is the fuel consumption like on a Jeep Cherokee Limited?

Marian
Marian

An average 7L/100km freeway, 13L/100km town.

Goodtaste

Goodtasteasked

Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

What's fuel consumption like on the Jeep Cherokee Sports 2015 model?

Stone
Stone

Mine is the older KK Model produced till 2012.
It is heavier, the high steep grill, permanent 4wheel drive , the 2.8 Liter Diesel engine with 200 HP/147 KW, 460 NM torque, automatic Transmission and an australian OME Sport 2" rise.
The consumption is between 9.8 to 11.4 Liters Diesel fuel per 100 km. Mixed Duty on roads and sand.
The new model KL consumes less.

sam

samasked

Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

I'm considering buying a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2x4. It has the 9 speed transmission. It would be our family car and travelling around 18,000km per year. What do you think?

John Deere
John Deere

I think you should do a lot of research before buying a jeep and my honest opinion after viewing a lot of forums on the subject of Jeeps takes me to a quote from my dear old Mum "Your not quite right in the head are you"

Jeep Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

Other Midsize / Medium SUVs