Jeep Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee Questions & Answers (page 2 of 5)

KJ, KK, KL
Brand Manager for Jeep? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

83 questions from our users

Keith C.
Keith C.asked

Are auto gearbox the same in 2002 and 2004

Ian W.
Ian W.asked
Cherokee KJ (2001-2007)

My interior lights won't come on when doors are opened , why

Jelly H.
Jelly H.asked

Jelly H.
Jelly H.asked
Cherokee

Hi all. Help! My Jeep Cherokee 2012 won’t drive over 40km/ph. I think I left the lights on all day (weird because it usually beeps to remind me) I got it jumpstarted. Ran the car for 10 minutes before driving however it wouldn’t drive over 40km/ph so I went back to work and left it running for another 10 minutes and still the same thing happened when I tried to drive it again. The battery is not that old. I did fiddle around under the steering and near pedals trying to find the bonnet switch inside the car?

Phill B.
Phill B.asked
Cherokee KJ (2001-2007)

2005 Jeep Cherokee when The Air conditioner is used a lot the charge light come s on and the motor stop will not start again till the motor is cool . Don't seem to have any problems with the vehicle when the air conditioner is not used. Happened twice now.

Phill

Steven A.
Steven A.asked
Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

Have the transmission problems been fixed now, or is it a bad idea to buy a Cherokee. If they have been fixed, was it just software update or did it require a new transmission.

Bam
Bam

My understanding in the main it was the 4cyl that caused the majority of the 9 speed gearbox problems. The 4cyl didn't have sufficient power / torque and caused the gearbox to over rev etc. Having said that there were 6cyl issues, with poor shifting etc. ZF always maintained it was a software issue for Jeep as mechanically, in their opinion the gearbox was sound. (Jeep were responsible for the software). Having said that my 2014 Trailhawk has done 87,000km with no gearbox issues.
The software is said to have been tweaked again for the MY19 model.

Annetteasked
Cherokee KJ (2001-2007)

Considering buying a Jeep Cherokee 2007 65th Anniversary model manual diesel. Any advice or experience would be welcome - the one we are looking at had done 250,000 km mainly long stretches and looks very tidy.

Peter.H
Peter.H

Hi Annette,
Don't listen to the horror stories about Jeep sure some are real but in my mind they are very reliable as long as they are serviced like any other Vehicle sorry for the spelling just make sure that you have service logs for the Jeep mine is a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Longitude and after as small problem that was resolved by a different dealership who actually cared about service I will buy another Jeep no problems . As for the long stretches they are better than stop start city driving . That's my take any can feel free to disagree

Annette

Much obliged - thank you!

Suren
Surenasked

Hi,
I’m looking at buying a 2015 Jeep Cherokee KL MY15 Limited Champagne 9 Speed Sports Automatic Wagon and I’m looking for some advice or concerns on this model. Any advice?

Samantha R
Samantha Rasked
Cherokee KK (2008-2013)

Can i swap a cherokee kj engine with my cherokee kk engine (both 3.7 petroll models) ?

Glenn
Glennasked
Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

After a few short trips today my 2014 Cherokee Sport would not start. I thought the issue may have been the smart ignition key. Called RACV and he said it was battery. Hooked it up and started immediately. Mechanic said to run the motor for at least 40 minutes to charge battery so I idled the engine for 30 minutes then drove for an hour. When I stopped I tried to start it again and it was dead. Does it sound like it needs a new battery?

Sally

Hi there, I suggest you get the battery tested to see if it is holding any charge or has dead cells, your car may have only started because of the JUMP start from the RACV. I would also ask about whether the alternator is charging the battery. We were told NOT to use our own battery charger and that we would have to spend about $700 to buy a Jeep charger - go figure that one. Good luck

Marek
Marekasked

Problem with stop/start Jeep Cherokee 2015

Sally

Hi Marek, your question is rather general and I am not quite sure what you would like to know. Our Jeep would not start at all, for the first few times they said it was the battery, and so once the battery was recharged it would start, and the next day the car would not start. Finally they said it was not the battery but they did not know what it was and after 3 days in their workshop hooked up to 'life support' they said that there was nothing wrong with the car and we could take it. However when the workshop manager unhooked the car from the leads and tried to start the car it wouldn't even 'tick over' All of our problems came after they added the Patch for the hand brake (after a recall) the air fan ran continually - like a jet engine. There was another customer in Coffs whose car would just stop dead in the middle of the road. Goodness knows what they did to our car to resell it.

Wendy V
Wendy Vasked
Cherokee KJ (2001-2007)

Thinking about a 2007 jeep Cherokee just wondering if they are reliable for towing a 20ft caravan?

Hi Wendy V,
My Jeep is a 2006 KJ diesel manual version. I have a hybrid camper trailer that weighs 1800 kgs, it tows that perfectly. If you bought an auto I would make sure it had a transmission cooler fitted. (I would recommend that on any car not just the Jeep). They have a weight limit of 2.8 tonnes for the diesel version so obviously take that into account when you are looking into a caravan. Me personally, I wouldn't tow anymore than 2200 kgs just to be on the safe side. Hope this helps you out :-)

Vic Pasked
Cherokee KK (2008-2013)

How do i reactivate the lights to flash when locking and unlocking my 2010 jeep cherokee?
[email address removed]

Nalaka Kuruppu
Nalaka Kuruppu

its usually happen mate, i haven't done anything, my advice is pls do Jeep dealer and show them,
they will check your vehical, anyway i have 2015 Jeep cherokee trailhawks.

Vic P

Thanks, will keep asking around.

Aussie
Aussieasked
Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

Hi guys, I’m looking at buying a 2015 Cherokee longitude am looking for advice on this model and any concerns with it as well.

Cheers!

Bucks05
Bucks05

Hi.....we’ve got a Limited with all the options. It’s very comfortable to drive & handles well. The only issue we’ve had is with noises from seats & sunroof. If you can go without a sunroof, I suggest buying one without one. Most of the noises have been rectified but it took a few trips to the dealer to sort out. Cheers.

RUSTYDOGasked
Cherokee KK (2008-2013)

2011 kk 2.8 cherokee ltd extremely noisy idle noise after initial 5000 km. The vehicle has now done 40,000 km.& regardless weather engine hot or not the noise is at times like a bucket of bolts being shaken about. My dealer of which I have no complaints, has tried many times & has put in lots of time to try & determine what causes the noise but whilst admitting that the noise is real cannot identify the source which is strangely loudest on the drivers side! I have had continuous Limp Home problems which has after 6+ years been identified & addressed by Fiat Chrysler Jeep 8 months ago, by Replacing the Turbo & Resetting the Management Computer! So far So good & I only hope this has now permanently fixed this problem!!
Can Anyone Offer Any Clues As To What Is Causing This Infuriating Noise??

Liliana Cesarin
Liliana Cesarin

Hi Is the noise inside? I have they tried to check under the seats? It sounds crazy but i had incessant squeaking & rattling from inside and apparently cushioning was needed to stop the noise.

RUSTYDOG

Unfortunately Liliana not in this case, the rattling is quite a deep sound like large nuts and bolts rolling/rattling around in a bucket & emanates Directly in Front of the Drivers
side of the engine, although the service people did remove & reinstall the exhaust system to no avail but thank you for your input. Thank You from Rustydog

Butch F
Butch Fasked
Cherokee KK (2008-2013)

Hi have a KK Cherokee ltd 2011 have a possible transmission problem with DTC code PO 740 which nobody knows anything comes on & off MIL light for no reason been serviced any suggestion?

Nadzz
Nadzz

Not a clue. Try calling a Jeep dealer or reach out to Jeep direct (if you haven't already)

Wiz.au
Wiz.au

When the code P0740 is set in the Powertrain Computer, it means that the Powertrain Computer or PCM is seeing greater than a 200 RPM difference between the rotational speed of the Torque Converter and the Transmission Input Shaft. So you either have a problem with the torque converter, or one of the two sensors or wiring is damaged/faulty.

Jason Johnson
Jason Johnsonasked
Cherokee KJ (2001-2007)

Thinking of purchasing a 2003 jeep renegade. 186000 kms. Diesel. Anyone have any advice about this model? Cheers in advance.

Stevo

It depends on what engine is in it, if it is a 2.5 diesel they are pretty sluggish, if it is a 2.8 diesel they are a lot more powerful. If you buy a Jeep, stay clear of the Jeep Stealerships and buy your spares from overseas. They are one of the most popular vehicles in the States and you can get anything sent over for next to nothing in comparison to what you would pay in Australia. For example (alternator) $1200 Jeep Australia dealer. $400 US delivered from Garden City Jeep in New Jersey US. It took 4 days to get it!!! Example 2 Same Jeep dealer wanted $800 for a drivers side window mechanism, same dealer in the US I paid $125 US delivered! Bought a starter motor from a UK Jeep dealer for the equivalent of $250 Australian dollars and got it in under a week. My Jeep is a 2.8 Diesel Sport 2006 model and I still havent found anything worth trading it in on. Owened for over 6 years and has 200k on the clock. Only stuff other than what is previously mentioned is I did the major service (timing belt etc) at 150k

Rusty Bear
Rusty Bearasked
Cherokee KJ (2001-2007)

I am thinking of buying a 2005 jeep Cherokee renegade MY05. I have heard mixed reports does any one own one and can you advise if you would recommend 1? I need a reliable 4x4 that won't break down. It has 190,000 km on the clock

Maureen Flood

Yes it is a reliable vechice, but you would have to consider the miles it has done

Abdulsamee
Abdulsameeasked
Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

Hello all, i am thinking about to buy Jeep Cherokee make year 2015, can anyone help what are the major things i should need to be consider while i am doing inspection? thanks

Maureen Flood

Our only concern was the fuel economy, but it was acceptable, We are happy with our

nilbog
nilbog

I'd be worried that sites like this exist http://www.destroymyjeep.com/
It's pretty widely known that something like 1 in 5 jeeps are complete lemons

Jackson Burton
Jackson Burtonasked
Cherokee KJ (2001-2007)

Hi, im looking at purchasing a kj jeep cherokee extreme sport and was wondering if it is worth it? the car i am looking at is 2005 with 103'000km on the clock. i have heard some horror stories and was wondering if it was worth going through with it as i quiet like the car. i know there have eben known issues with transmission failure and electrics i was wondering if anyone could tell me other issues they have had with them and personal oppinion on whether its worth going through with the purchase of the vehicle.

Jebby
Jebby

I've recently bought a 2007 KJ CRD, 130,000km - did so because they are good value for what you get by comparison with the Japanese equivalents. I like mine. You can get a lemon but most of the horror stories you hear are because the owners neglect them. They must be serviced regularly, and find an independent mechanic with Jeep knowledge. Don't buy one without a full service history. Make sure you budget to have the cam belt replaced as it is due at 100,000 km (get the whole kit with the pulleys etc). Parts can be bought from VM Diesel http://www.vmdieselspecialist.com - ring them during UK business hours
Don't buy parts from Jeep Australia because they are three times more expensive than parts from the UK or US. There's a good KJ forum at http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=158

Jeep Cherokee