Jeep Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee Questions & Answers (page 3 of 5)

KJ, KK, KL

83 questions from our users

Lisa L
Lisa Lasked
Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

What is the fuel consumption like on a Jeep Cherokee Limited?

Marian
Marian

An average 7L/100km freeway, 13L/100km town.

Caity
Caityasked
Cherokee KK (2008-2013)

Looking at getting either a cherokee limited or patriot. Would be a 2012 plus, has anyone had one who loved/hated it. Ive been researching for weeks any tips is appriciated! :)

Stone

I got a 2011 KK and i love it. No trouble at all over 100.000 km except normal wear and tear. Got an OEM "Sport" 2" Lift Kit installed wich improves the Ride considerably compared with the original . Highly recommend that.

Charlo
Charloasked
Cherokee

Hey I'm looking at buying a Jerp Cherokee! 2008, 2009 or 2011 model maybe even a 2013. Just wandering if anyone has any tips/pros or cons to buying one or any upfront expenses the dealership wouldn't tell me about. I won't be doing much off-roading in it but I do live in the country and there lots of dirt roads. Thanks for your help of you have any advice!

Candida
Candida

Word of advice dont buy one. Go for a nissan instead.

Ian Stewart
Ian Stewart

Dear Charlo, I don't have anything specifically to add to my report about my Jeep, a KJ Cherokee. I think that the Cherokee of 2008 and later is another model, so I can't comment. In general, I wouldn't buy other than a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee, perhaps a Wrangler, and always a diesel. All the smaller ones are front wheel drive based, and some are not 4WD. They don't make any small diesels now, I believe. best of luck, Ian Stewart.

NZMGB
NZMGBasked
Cherokee KK (2008-2013)

Hi I have a 2010 kk with a water leak in the front left and right hand floor's, not sure if it is coming from the windscreen. dose any one have any problems like this if so can yo help? The dealer has said it is the first one they have come across in Queensland Australia. Joe

Stone

Did you Check the air condition condenser ?

Goodtaste
Goodtasteasked
Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

What's fuel consumption like on the Jeep Cherokee Sports 2015 model?

Stone

Mine is the older KK Model produced till 2012.
It is heavier, the high steep grill, permanent 4wheel drive , the 2.8 Liter Diesel engine with 200 HP/147 KW, 460 NM torque, automatic Transmission and an australian OME Sport 2" rise.
The consumption is between 9.8 to 11.4 Liters Diesel fuel per 100 km. Mixed Duty on roads and sand.
The new model KL consumes less.

mark
markasked
Cherokee KJ (2001-2007)

hi, I'm looking at buying a 2006 2.8l turbo diesel cherokee with 106000k"s, it hadn't been started for four weeks and needed a battery boost, when it fired up there was an initial blow of black smoke then ran clear, but standing behind the vehicle the fumes were quite strong, i have only had a small diesel car years ago and never really noticed any smell, is this normal for an engine of this type?

DeeTee
DeeTee

Hi, I don't have much knowledge on the CRD Jeeps. I suggest heading over to LostJeeps or JeepKJ forums. They have a wealth of knowledge and are happy to answer questions.

Prem
Premasked
Cherokee KK (2008-2013)

do you having any problem with slow acceleration? and some time once engine start it going to high acceleration with out touching the pedel???

Phil T
Phil T

Never had this problem. Sorry can't help.
Sounds like you should check automatic choke or clean injectors.

Nanny
Nannyasked
Cherokee KJ (2001-2007)

Hello. We have just bought a Jeep Cherokee 05 Sports model by private sale, in pristine condition with low mileage and all service books well up to date. So we are very happy with the well kept condition of the car and the honesty of the seller. We have always had sedans in the past and this is our first 4WD. My question is - Is this model supposed to sway on the highway at speed and are these cars well known for loud tyre bumping noises while travelling on sealed highways (not 4WD) which we find quite disturbing? We test drove the Jeep before we bought it but that was for just a short distance in Melbourne traffic so did not get a good picture of highway driving unfortunately. Would the swaying be because of the higher vehicle than we are used to or is this indicative of all 4WDs? And the same with the tyre noise? Or is it something we will just have to get used to & live with? Looking forward to your answers & thank you in advance for taking the time to reply. - Marj.

Flat
Flat

I have a 2014 model so not the same but have none of those problems.

Wombat

Hello Marj, This model should not sway even in strong cross winds. This symptom firstly leads one to suspect soft shock absorbers, or the anti sway bars have been disconnected. Loud thumping tyre noises may be due to pressure too high, or worn suspension components. Tyre noises vary from brand to brand, tread pattern and road surface. I recommend at thorough inspection at a SPECIALISED steering and suspension workshop who will find the cause. It should not be too expensive.
regards

Fred

Dedicated off-road tyres can get a heel and toe wear in the tread, when used on bitumen roads, which makes them awfully noisy; might be worth checking as well.
Fred.

R1c3yasked
Cherokee KJ (2001-2007)

Looking to buy 2004 Cherokee 100,000 klms is there anything I should be aware to check apart from the normal list ?

Wombat

the first thing to look for is the owners handbook, looking for owners names and service records and intervals aligning with current odometer readings. If it doesn't exist, don't touch it! If OK here, look for any signs of discoloured lubricants, coolant, axles, transmission and engine leaks, fumes, etc. Make sure every thing works, e.g. door locks, windows, mirrors, lights. radio, CD player, clock, instruments. Observe tyre conditions for irregular wear and when test driving check for biased steering either side indicating alignment problems. Listen for smooth operation of the transmission up and down the gears, and firm positive braking when applied. 100000 kms is a relatively low distance for a vehicle this age. Physical condition of bodywork,, upholstery and carpets, should also be considered. If it passes all the test, should be a great vehicle, mine is!

R1c3y

I am extremely greatfull for the advice I now feel
capable to go out and do a deal there are plenty
to chose from I will buy the best available happy
4SWing .

Rara79
Rara79

Are you still looking for one?? My partner has one for sale in black

pedroasked
Cherokee KK (2008-2013)

Got a noisy air con goes up with the revs changed compressor, recharged it same noise steady pressures on gauges
on the run correct temps perfect can't fault it. I think it's nvh, also new idler water pump and belt. Anybody know or where to look? I'm annoyed with it. Help!

Wombat

Was the noise still there when the air con. was turned off? If not , then the compressor is at fault, If the noise was still there with the a/c off, it is probably one or both of the idler pulleys on the right side of the engine with worn ball bearings. If the noise was coming from either the alternator, power steering or water pump bearings, you would have other associated problems allied with the worn component eg.low battery charge, hard steering, overheating, etc. The air conditioning compressor is switched on by an electrically operated clutch, and ideally should be activated when the engine is running slow, rather than at high speed. It could make the difference to whether the unit lasts 300000kms or 30000kms. It does not matter at what speed you turn it off.

pedro

noise goes with compressor off I drive along with a/c on its noisy press a/c off its gone compressor when taken off , old one no metal in oil drained new compressor put
appox. 100ml of new compressor correct type turned over new compressor to lubricate. fitted it had it charged ; but it was not evacuated for long perhaps 10 mins then charged . we are carrying out further tests today to test tx valve to see if its malfunctioning should have changed it with new compressor .
we have been told if its not correct it can pool liquid instead of gas in to compressor and a liquid cant be compressed could destroy compressor may be our noise
will let u know if this freeze test on tx sheds any light
yours pedro

Paula
Paulaasked
Cherokee

Hi all! I'm considering buying a Jeep Cherokee Limited 2012 (3.7) and just wondering if anyone has any advice or views on any particular issues with this model? Also wondering if it's a guzzler on the petrol or any advice on that side too? Greatly appreciate any views, opinions, etc.
Paula

Wombat

A guzzler in the city. Much better at 100kms per hour on the highway. Inspect the vehicle closely for fluid leaks, damaged door seals engine and transmission oils for colour contamination etc , Make sure the ORIGINAL owners handbook is there with owners history and service records agreeing with odometer readings. If no book available DO NOT BUY IT!

mariap2546
mariap2546asked
Cherokee

Hi, I have a 2003 model Jeep Cherokee Limited Edition and I bought it for Australian $6,750.00. Was it worth the price? The body and interior are immaculate but I have just discovered that there are major repairs and parts to be delivered from USA due to it's mileage 285000 kms. The overall engine repair costs is approx $6000.00. We are thinking of trading it in for a new car (depending on what they give us in trading dollars) or keeping the jeep and paying the costs of repairs. I am worried if the repairs are done, what if there are new issues with the car in future. I have been told there could be transmission issues later due to the car's age and mileage.
Please give me your opinions. That would help in making my decision in the end.

Cheers!
Maria
Brisbane
AUSTRALIA

Mark
Mark

Hi Maria! If your Jeep is in good general condition I'd say the price you paid was fair, provided the mechanical problems with the car weren't pre-existing. How long after purchase did the problems occur? $6,000 seems awfully high for engine repairs. What exactly is wrong and what has been quoted to fix it? I'd suspect you could get a complete changeover engine with warranty for less than that kind of money. Problems resulting from high mileage (outside of normal wear and tear) are more likely if the car has not been properly serviced during its life. What do you know of the car's service history?

bluedog
bluedogasked
Cherokee KJ (2001-2007)

Any consistent issues with the diesel model?

Luke
Luke

Hi, I think it depends which year model you're talking about - mine is a KL (from 2014 onwards). The diesel versions in the KL use the same transmission as the petrol (9-speed auto). Jeep had some programming issues in this transmission in the early days - mine used to have occasional rough downshifts, but I mentioned this to the dealer at the first service and they re flashed (updated) the transmission software, which addressed that issue.

Silver Fox
Silver Fox

The 4 cylinder 2.8 Diesel motor is a very reliable motor but is heavy on diesel, I average 7 kilometres per litre in town driving and is not much better on the motorway. The motor has to be serviced according to manufacturer specifications and can only run on synthetic oil as will cause serious damage to the motor. The lower turbo hoses are prone to breaking which brings the car to an almost standstill, cam belt, cam belt tensioner, idler pulleys and water pump need to be changed every 100K and is very expensive. I used Repco parts and supplied to the mechanic, total cost was $2.6K. The motor can be tuned to deliver extremely high power and torque, I have had mine tuned and is producing 167kw and close to 700nm of torque, the Jeep KJ is a fantastic tow vehicle and provides a very stable ride under load. They are expensive to run and maintain but it depends what you want it for, the motor is made by Italians and is well renown as a "million mile" motor. The Diesel engine can run a little hot when doing low range driving and this can be managed through driving style. Jeep Agents are pretty hopeless and send my vehicle to a diesel specialist for servicing. Parts are available from the States at a fraction of the price of Australia but you have to shop around for affordable couriers services. There are a lot of accessories for the Jeep KJ and can be turned into serious 4wd machines. The models up to 2007 were still built tough and reliable and like any motor vehicle need TLC. ARB supplies a full range of aftermarket accessories which do the vehicle justice and improve the ride and presentation. Good luck with your hunt and remember to check service records and find out if the cam belt has been changed.
Cheers, Silver Fox

FCV
FCV

Seriously helpful Silver Fox!

sam
samasked
Cherokee KL (2014-2021)

I'm considering buying a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2x4. It has the 9 speed transmission. It would be our family car and travelling around 18,000km per year. What do you think?

John Deere
John Deere

I think you should do a lot of research before buying a jeep and my honest opinion after viewing a lot of forums on the subject of Jeeps takes me to a quote from my dear old Mum "Your not quite right in the head are you"

martin
martinasked
Cherokee

wanting to buy Jeep Cherokee KJ Sport 4x4, 2.4l pertol, 4 cylinder, 230kms..
anything i should know before purchase or spots to look for at inspection? any common issues people generally experiencing? any big issues i should be aware off?

MG
MG

Don't do it.

Braddy
Braddyasked
Cherokee

Hi, I have a Jeep Cherokee Rgd KJ 2003 Deisel Auto that's having problems when you start the vehicle it stalls and when your on lower revs going up a hill for example, it sometimes stalls and completely cuts out all power so you have to stop put it in park and restart which can take a few tries. The speedo has completely stopped working at the same time it started stalling and its lost alot of power when you excelarate it takes along time to get up to speed.
Jeep has charged me $350 so far just to diagnose and didn't find the problem yet, they said it would cost another $300 to diagnose the problem without even fixing anything yet!
So far we changed the belcrank excelarator ourselves but there's been no change to the problems.
Would appreciate any help finding what the problem could be?

Fred

You better off researching the specific Jeep forums. This is not the right page to get specific help.

brian
brian

It's probably the the computer or sensor @ you could try taking the vehicle to a diesel specialist engine repairs and servicing workshop or a auto electrician shop might be able to help

djtucker
djtuckerasked
Cherokee

What engine is I n the grand cherokee 2004 3ltr is it 5 cylinder? is it a jeep engine?

phil.rutter.90
phil.rutter.90

The diesel was a turbo 2.7 5 cylinder, the petrol variants were a 3 litre 6 cylinder or a 4.7 and 5.7litre V8

Justin Comptonasked
Cherokee

Hi iv 05 jk jeep & the aircon only works on setting 5, iv replaced the aircon control pannel in the dash but it's still doing it . I'm thinking it's the blower fan??? If any can help thanks

rob
rob

could be the the blower fan or the vacuum off the throttle body

Brantony Mozola
Brantony Mozola

Check the heat resistor! Its behind the cabin on the passengers side.

Cheers

caloundra
caloundraasked
Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee KK series 2010. Aircon & fan only blow at one speed. Any ideas of thoughts or details of how to remove the rotary control switch?

tim
tim

I had a similar problem with my jeep and found that it was just the plastic part of the switch that needed replacing,so with a small screw driver i wedged it in-between the gaps and applied pressure pushing it out slowly,if it breaks it should not matter,its already broken i thought,so once its out get a pair of long nose pliers and turn the pin where the plastic switch was removed from,if the aircon and blower work on different settings then that means you only have to replace the plastic cap you use to turn it.
go to www.morris4x4.com and find your model,the replacement parts come in a set of three and they are not expensive,i hope this was a help to you.
other wise an auto electrician could do the job!

canonasked
Cherokee

I have a question for Tezza, if that is OK. I would like to know what recaros were put in his KJ and who did the installing. Thank you

tezza
tezza

Hi Canon , sorry for the late reply...shifting house... Ideal Seats in Mordialloc , Victoria supplied and fitted the seats, and I believe they were Cross Race or something similar. They were fitted in half a day and the job was reasonable, it would have been better if they managed to hide or re route the wiring under the seat. We have had them now for 5 years and are happy with everything about them. The side bolsters on the seat is replacable but we have not needed to do so yet. Back then, they cost approx 4000 for the pair, fitted. There was a large range to their showroom.
cheers
Tezzachoose from at h

canon

Thank you very much for that - it is appreciated.

Cheers,