Jeep Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee Questions & Answers (page 4 of 5)

KJ, KK, KL
Brand Manager for Jeep? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

83 questions from our users

Diva
Divaasked
Cherokee

I Drive a jeep Cherokee 2006 2.8l diesel.It only cranks and doesnt start. The filter pump has been changed .We have changed the crank sensor.Its been diagnosed and it states that it has a fuel system leak detected.Glow plug control model circuit malfunction.fuel melting solenoid circuit low.Pls help?

tezza

Sorry Diva, That is well over my head. Try for a second opinion to narrow the possibilities.

dljacko
dljacko

My KJ is a 3.7L petrol, but I have just rid myself of a Grand Cherokee 2.7L CRD which caused me untold anguish because of the same condition you describe. The OBD11 diagnostic tool told me similar things, and resulted in me replacing: fuel filter, crank sensor, cam sensor, CRD relief valve, lift pump, injector pump and a couple of other things. I was so despondent with the problem and the way it was sending me broke that I sold it as a wreck. The new owner rang me and said that he did an injector leak test and found that two of the five injectors were leaking. After replacing them it now starts first time every time, this equates to the OBD reading we were getting which said that it was fuel pressure or something similar (it did not come up with exactly the same code number all the time). If you can get someone to do an injector check it may well save you much time and money. Get someone who is familiar with these diesels as the injectors cost an arm and a leg!

loughisile
loughisileasked
Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee 2010 Problem with Drivers master door switch for front Windows, Mirrors and Auto lock and central window lock. The Back windows can be operated ok from drivers master switch. Passenger door lock and window control is ok. Any ideas on how to tell if it is the switch unit or cable issue?

evan

I am not sure as I have not had a problem with the windows or doors,but you can remove screws holding the door panels on and check if the cables are connected,also press the buttons or the remote and see if the locks work or if a cable is loose on the faulty door .Hope this helps or you can always take it to an auto electrician if you are not confident. cheers

tezzaasked
Cherokee

the auto gear lever on my kj cherooke sometimes jambs in park. it is not persistant enough for a mechanic to find the fault. any ideas.
Tezza

evan

Hi Tezza You can not move the gear lever unless the key is in the ignition and engine running,you can not put the gear lever in reverse or neutral and push or roll the vehicle unless the key is in the ignition. It is a jeep safety thing,but if the engine is running with key in ignition and the lever sticks in park and wont move to reverse,neutral,drive etc then there might be a problem with the gear linkages not engaging the gears,they might be bent or worn and shouldn't be an expensive fix as long as the transmission works and changes gears when you drive the vehicle. Any quality transmission - gearbox specialist can check it out if you have further problems,hope this helps cheers.

weeds
weedsasked
Cherokee

Hi I have a jeep grand Cherokee WK 2012.very happy with this vehicle in spite of the negative reviews I have just seen. Servicing very very expensive. Quoted $1200.00 for a 50000 service used someone else $300. I want a nudge bar being told can't do. Why not all other 4w d have them. Why can't I fit one ? Thanks

Hi
I was happy with mine too until it went beserk and wouldnt start easily, and couldnt be fixed by Rolfe Motors Canberra or others - not even jeep could/would help.
I asked for a bullbar, both jeep and many other big brand companies and they said not enough jeeps to worry about designing one for the model/make. Hope this helps

Clint
Clintasked
Cherokee

Have anybody had any problems with Jeep Grand Cherokee, turbo diesel v6,2013/14, saying "exhaust filter nearing full"?

Barry Meredith
Barry Meredith

Continuous suburban driving will cause this problem in all new diesels.Go for a good fast hiway run ,should solve this problem.Diesels do not like slow stop start motoring.

Misty
Mistyasked
Cherokee

Hi I have a 2008 Jeep Cherokee Freedom Diesel, It is not starting once it sits overnight, or is stopped for a couple of hours, have had a Mechanic who changed the Fuel filter and eventually got it to start but the next day it was the same the mechanic said it could be electrical so had it looked at by an Auto Elect but I am still having the same problem could you possibly know what the problem can be as it is so frustrating it seems to want to start but just won't kick over like it is starving for fuel? Thankyou Regards Misty

Doug Merriman

Hi misty, of course i am not a mechanic, nor can i diagnose your problem although i must say my [censored word removed] jeep had many of these symptoms. I spent $3000 of my own money and the people who sold it to me couldnt fix it after taking the car from me for more than six weeks - without a courtesy car - never buy from rolfe motors is my advice. They duped me. In the end, after spending nearly 9 grand i got it working most of the time (although it was not consistent, nor would it start easily) and then traded it for a toyota 4wd - never looked back and cannot suggest anyone buy from rolfe motors or buy a jeep at all. Just for your info, i did drive my jeep on dirt roads and suspect it was started with dusty fuel related issues although this doesnt explain the hopeless engine management electronics that suffered a complete failure,, so complete that the jeep mechanics couldnt understand or fix it - worst part was no help from jeep or rolfe motors in act - hope this helps, trade now is my advice !

TazwantsaJeep
TazwantsaJeepasked
Cherokee

Hi im thinking of buying an 06/07 Jeep KJ cherokee 65th Anniversary Edition and want to know what people think? good or bad reviews welcome. what engine is best, petrol or diesel?
Please Help!

Hi
My advice is whatever you buy dont buy it from ROLFE MOTORS in Canberra - they were appalling in helping me get my jeep repaired. Also, be aware that almost all jeep parts are available on a 'Order on Time' basis - meaning about 80% of all parts are stored offshore in Singapore and ordered, then supposedly delivered within 48 hours... mostly works although KEY PARTS, including diesel related fuel parts are not stored in Singapore and must come from USA - I and others have had to wait for 5, 6 weeks and longer. My jeep went fine for approx 50,000 k's and then went beserk - Rolfe Motors of Canberra couldnt fix it and wouldnt pay for a motor to be replaced. Bloody hopeless. Hope this helps

tezza

sure , buy a diesel 2.78 crd , but keep up the services and not just at jeep centres. squeesy in the back and around your feet in the front. hard seats. very manouverable. solid . expect 11 to 13 l per 100 k in fuel.safely tow 2000kg. rotate tyres as hard on rear tyres.
Tezza

djrasked
Cherokee

I am thinking of buying a 2005 JEEP CHEROKEE KJ MY05 UPGRADE LIMITED (4x4), I would like any reviews people may have of this vehicle? Good or bad i don't care

Doug Merriman

I had a 2004 kj diesel, good car for a while although very bad. Rolfe Motors of Canberra were terrible, dis-interested and generally useless, they even promised to fix the car for $5000 and didnt get it to work properly ever again !

Problem was related to fuel and electronics... and parts which had to come from the US & Singapore which cost more and took a lot longer. A terrible experience with Rolfe Motors.

djr

Apart from problems with car yard, would you recommend to buy this particular vehicle?

Davidasked
Cherokee

I have bought a Grand Cherokee Lerado my14 V6 Diesel and I am having trouble with engine overheating when towing a 2500kg caravan has anyone else had this problem & if so have you found a solution . David

Doug Merriman

I did not have this problem however if your car if auto, try shifting down for hills - I tow a 3 horse float with a hilux without issues although I know some choose to downshift to avoid strain and overheating. As always, dont trust Rolfe Motors in Canberra - they sold me a new jeep and didnt support it or me. cheers and hope you resolve your issue.

Big Al
Big Al

We have the same problem towing a 2500kg caravan, we have tried using lower gears, it doesn't help! Ours will boil on a flat road, it doesn't need a hill, so far no result from Jeep, even though they are now trying to fix it, they have replaced all sorts of parts and not resolved the problem. Sorry, my best advice is probably not what you want to hear... "Don't buy a Jeep!"

David

I Have already bought the Jeep & My answer is that the radiator is not suitable and needs a larger one for the towing capacity and all we need to do now is convince Jeep to up grade Good Luck with that.

Carlie
Carlieasked

Im looking at buying a 2009 jeep cherokee sport kk my10 klms 68000
could any let me know about this car any good or bad information would be greatly appreciated?

Doug Merriman

My experience was OK, good even until I needed dealer support, at about 50000K's - Rolfe Motors in Canberra and Jeep head office were equally uninterested and useless. After paying lots of money for repairs they suggested, that cost me 5k+, they ignored me for months until I sold the car with faults at much reduced cost. Steer clear is my experience.

Allen10

If its a diesel , the problems will be the same as the KJ, the soot blocks up the injectors and the sensors causing rough running and Just Expect Expensive Parts.
Time belt only $380, In ID parts from the USA charge $37 for the Timing belt. i also heard the water heater core leaks in the KK

Fozoneasked

How do I remove interior light lens cover to replace bulbs on 2002 KJ Cherokee

Allen10

From the rear of the head light, don't wear a watch . The watch will not allow you to get your hand in the small spaces to undo to retaining clip holding the lightbulb in place

Fozone

Nice answer but, need to explain a little better. I need to replace interior (map/courtesy light bulbs). I have tried to remove the plastic cover with a small screwdriver to no avail, as I don't want to damage. The replacement cost could well break me. Has anyone replaced the interior light(s) bulbs without damaging the cover. Fozone!

TWOROX
TWOROXasked
Cherokee

hi peoples i have a 07 grand cherokee and water is pooling in the passenger foot well but not the drivers and i cant find how it is getting in ???

Spice
Spice

We had water coming down the drivers side from the air conditioning, it rotted the carpet and started wrecking the dash and controls, get rid of it now before things get worse.

Allen10

that would be the hoses going to the heater or the heater its self

Allen10

remove it and fit a toyota heater in under the dash

bheki
bhekiasked
Cherokee

What causes the ABS and brake lights to come on during driving a 2. 8 jeep cherokee crd of 2005?

An air vacuum leak

Allen10

Any other questions email me here

looking 4 jeep
looking 4 jeepasked
Cherokee

Hi, im looking at buying a 2003 V8 auto grand cherokee is there anything i should look out for???

Allen10

The condition of the motors in the electric windows. the motors seize , pull more current from the battery, the wires over heat and cause a fire

Allen10

Due to leaking rain water in the doors

gary
garyasked
Cherokee

Hi, I am interested in purchasing a 2006 2.8 Turbo diesel cherokee renegade, any thoughts on this particular vehicle, good and the not so good would be appreciated.

cheers Gary

Allen10

The good point , comfortable to drive, lighting when you have the factory fitted roof lights when off road, the go anywhere ability is great, its fast, on board computer monitoring above the rear vision mirror.
Bad things, the cost to keep it on the road is very high meaning when things go wrong it will cost alot to fix unless you do it yourself, the EGR system is stupid. Easy to roll it over. Parts don't last, the metal the engine is made from doesn't last. If you break a timing belt you will be up for over $10000.
The petrol one has the fuel tank too close to the back and not enough protection. If you get hit in the back you will not live, it will explode before you release the seat belt

gary
garyasked
Cherokee

Looking at buying a 2006 cherokee renegade (the 2.8 deisel) gold or black, with towbar?

Allen10

I have a 2.8L turbo diesel 2003 KJ cherokee renegade for sale for $15000 ono, if interest please call 0412119530

PETER  WRIGHT
PETER WRIGHTasked
Cherokee

I am thinking of buying a Jeep Cherokee 2003, am I doing the right thing? would appreciate an honest answer

Allen10

If you want a 2003 diesel Jeep Cherokee, the wife has one and wants to sell it. Its for sale due to a poor income and unemployment. Its cost too much for use to keep it . If interested call me 0412119530, Allen

Kaz
Kazasked
Cherokee

We have a Jeep Cherokee Sport KJ. Built in USA 2006. I believe there calle a Liberty in USA.
Import to Aus. 2007. Has any one out there experienced broken window regulators.

Allen10

the grand cherokee has the same issue. The window mechanism and the window motors are not strong enough for the job if they get wet or old and the cabling is too light weight not able to carry enough current

robert w
robert wasked
Cherokee

Can a second battery be installed underneath left rear gaurd?

Allen10

if the battery can be fitted safely and keeping the terminals clear of the chassis and body panels. The cable has to be fitted properly with no danger of shorting out. If you want to use the batteries in Parallel you can earth (-) terminal and just run a cable for the (+) terminal. You can use a dual battery isolator so you don't run both batteries flat

Lisy
Lisyasked
Cherokee

What does it mean when tyre 24 flashes on dash board and engine light is on the catalyst converter just replaced and oxygen sensors?

Allen10

Lack of , or blocked exhaust flow. replace both the cat converter and the O2 sensor

Jeep Cherokee