12Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep Grand Cherokee Questions & Answers (page 3)

Brand Manager for Jeep? Claim your listing.
Michelle D
Michelle D · WK Limited Diesel (2010-2024)

What is the confirmed maximum gross trailer weight capacity for the 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.0L Diesel

Bok-Lim K.

For the 2015 Jeep GC WK2 Diesel, from the Operating Information (Manual)

1. Max GTW-with Trailer Brake = 3500kg
2. Max GTW - without trailer brake = 750 kg
3, Max (on tow bar) tongue weight = 227 to 350 kg dependent as below:-
- Up to 3 occupants w. luggage = 350 kg
- Up to 5 occupants w. luggage = 227 kg
(PS - IMHO if luggage include tools and equipment I would err on the conservative side and use the lower tongue weight even with fewer occupants)
Trust the info. is of assistance and of course you can ring up Jeep Australia for this information too.

Regards

Bill S
Bill S · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

I have just bought a Grand Cherokee 2004 V8 it has an issue fuel wise can any one help and the exhaust lights light up

Allen B.
Allen B. · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

When did they go to the 570 nm toque engine?

Jeep lover
Jeep lover · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

I just had the 120k service and drove about 5 to 10 kms and the alternator on my 2014 diesel Laredo has failed and taken out the battery. Is this a common failure?

Bok-Lim K.

Heard from the grapevine that the Jeep GC WK2 alternator is a weak point of this model if you are loading the car with heaps of 4 x 4 accessories such as fog lights /winch/ trailer/caravan (electric) loads, i.e. if the alternator is 'overloaded' from the norm.

Murray D.
Murray D.

Did Jeep Aus come to the party or are they still pushing the no recall for diesel button. Happened to me 3 days ago.

Melaney M.
Melaney M. · Grand Cherokee

is 2015 grand Cherokee overland has Electronic stability control

Not sure. Check redbook

Digg
Digg

Yes, has ESC and TSC. Depending on the model you have, there are many other safety devices.

John R.
John R. · Grand Cherokee WH (2005-2010)

i have the option to by a 2005 diesel with 217000 km on the clock for 7000 dollars.
any comments please

Mark

That can be high miles for the diesel. I know the earlier ones had a few issues.

DavePo
DavePo

I know of several diesels that have travelled near and over 300,000 k's, no probs. I own one, although mine has only travelled 145,000, If it's a Limited you get QuadraTrac 2, with mid, front and back diff locks, also wheel rotation monitoring. The best comfy 4WD available. If it's a Laredo the 4WD is still very good. I love the Mercedes diesel. All up a great vehicle.

Unhappy customer
Unhappy customer

Hey guys i am not going to tell everyone what to do, but I will give you a perfect example October 2018 took my jeep grand Cherokee limited to Caroline springs jeep in vic. With a windshields wiper sensor issue they told me it's the sensor so I said order new one for me few weeks later i get a call your sensor is here ill book you in fine went in sitting there few hours for the service guy telling me th ed gel pad that glues the sensor does not come with It I told him what you didnt know, anyway I told him I would find one because jeep wanted me to replace the windscreen that comes with the gelpad on it. I said your joking I'll find one I emailed a company in USA and they gave me a name of a company here in melbourne so I rang them and bought 2 for $90 got them to install it, then jeep manager came and said it's not working we don't know why we think it's your new head unit I told them are you guys stupid I've had that 3 years the rain sensor just started. So went to my friend at Alan Mance Motors in Footscray Vic he had a look and asked me how old is your battery I said 2013 the dealer replaced it when I bought the car. I had no idea what battery had to be in a jeep.

Here we go it worked out well I was having problems with battery going flat, so we changed it but my friend said it's 2 times the size you have now and according to the charts that's the right one bloody huge we replaced the battery and guess what my rain sensor started working so jeep dealers have no idea how to f is there own cars none of the mechanics even checked if I had the right battery and on top it was a cheap lion battery from China never buy them. The old battery was not big enough to power the car system with the canbus feeding power to everything so I'd say to everyone please make sure you have the right battery in your jeep because eventually it will stop supply power to your car it's amazing what a cheap battery can do to your cars system. Just beware of your battery replacement make sure you have the right battery it's huge. So all I really need is to get a software update so it will reset my jeep system amazing when you have the right information given to you.
I really hope this helps some of you guys on this forum. Jeeps dealers have no idea have not found one yet that knows how to fix a simple issue. That's why I take my jeep to Alan Mance Motors in Footscray Vic.

Saritak
Saritak · Grand Cherokee

Just brought a grand cherokee v8 limited 2008 petrol.... everything is in Japanese.. normal petrol or premium? Thanks

Mark C
Mark C · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Hi,

Today my 2004 overland sounds as though the motor has gone, its only done 180,000 and its the 4.7lt petrol. I have maintained it since having it from 2006 so I'm a little disappointed given its been pretty reliable mechanically wise this whole time. About the same time last year I had the timing chain replaced at a cost of $2500.

Any ideas what a reconditioned engine would cost ? Or where best to go, I'm in Victoria.

Cheers, Mark.

L.M.
L.M.

Hi mark, I would be getting a second opinion on the engine before binning it. They are not the best on fuel or the most powerful but if you look after them, as it seems you have they are RELIABLE. It could be lifters or a long list of small fixes that might sound terminal. A replacement short engine could run you $2500 for 2nd hand up to $5500 rebuilt. Then the cost of mechanics to do anything major on a jeep is often twice that of Toyota or Nissan. So my advice is check right into it, you might end up with some good news.

John C
John C · Grand Cherokee

Is normal grand Cherokee suspension ok for towing 2.5 ton caravan or do you need off road model?

Ex GU owner

Depends on your drawbar weight, but usually uograded suspension is a smart investment for regular or long distance towing

Ex GU owner

Depends on your drawbar weight, but usually upgraded suspension is a smart investment for regular or long distance towing

josh
josh · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

l have a grand Cherokee 2001 4 litre loredo the problem im having is when accelerating it will miss fire randomly could someone please give me an idea?

caravanJimbo
caravanJimbo

I have only had diesel models, but, a friend of mine has the 4 litre and tells me that having spent nearly all his wifes fortune in garage bills, he finally replaced the coil pack as there was nothing left to replace and that fixed the persistent miss fire

Macca
Macca · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

I'm looking to buy a grand Cherokee 2013 diesel upwards because of 8 speed automatic which it looks like better fuel economy.

Are they reliable and good for towing I have a 2.5 tonne caravan?

Damir Cosic

I was very happy with mine. It didn’t give me any trouble. Just regular maintenance and that’s it. Just be careful if you’re buying one nearing 100k on the clock as the transmission needs a major service then. It’s not so big a job, but the parts are woefully expensive. The oil is about $50 a litre and you’ll need around 5-8 litres. But the oil pan ( which houses the filter ) is about $800 at Jeep. I paid about $180 for an aftermarket one at the local parts store.

If the service has not been done, the dealer will want over $2000 to do it. My tip, buy the aftermarket oil pan and get the oil in from the USA via eBay and go to your local auto transmission place and see if they’ll do justvthe labour. Dont skimp on the transmission fluid - it’s the ZF LIFEGUARD 8 - don’t use anything else.

Better still, make sure that the 96km major service has been completed at the dealer - saves the hassle. Otherwise, knock the price down.

Oh, and the transmission should shift as smooth as silk. Any clunkiness is a red flag.

WIN

if you buy diesel. gearbox is 8hp70 made in Germany by ZF. petrol model has 8hp45 made in USA by Chrysler under zf license. those petrol models have many transmission problems. I never heard problem s on diesel model . yes like the other answer you will need trans service at 100 to 120k. but good news is you can buy genuine oil and sump under $500 shipped from these guys from UK. https://www.onestopgearboxshop.com/products/zf-8hp70-automatic-transmission-gearbox-filter-fluid-service-kit-with-8l-of-oil.

to answer your question. I have laredo diesel 5.5 year 115k. no major issue. apart from alternator failure at 4.5 year out of warranty. But jeep fixed it ffor free.

Macca
Macca · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

I'm looking to buy Jeep Grand Cherokee 3lt diesel 2012.

I asked a seller on carsales how much fuel do they use she said 600 KMs to a 90 Lt tank and that's city driving.

Is that right?

Damir Cosic

I’m not sure about the diesel because I had a V8 petrol and it was pretty thirsty around town. I averaged close to 20L/100km around town and about 10l/100km on the highway. I got a maximum of about 750km on the highway cycle. Also, 2012 model will have the 5 speed auto. Mine had the 8 speed - which may also make a difference.

Andrew
Andrew · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

Hi, what's the cost of oil cooler replacement/leak?

peter
peter

I haven’t replaced the oil cooler?

Lou
Lou · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

I was hoping I could get some honest feed back on how 2017 JEEP grand Cherokee towing ability for 21ft van 3000kg on highway performs

WIN

over 400 pages. it should help.

Happy
Happy · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

Hi! i read in one report that he put battery in with the spare in a jeep, i have 130 amp battery! I would like to know how this was done? Thank you!

caskell
caskell · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

2.7 diesel does it have a fuel mixture screw on fuel pump?

Bob
Bob · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

My 2001 2.7crd has an intermitent fault, I can start the engine -no problem- put it into drive and it wont move. Had it towed home and the following morning its fine. this has happened now twice. Is it a problem with the TCM?

brett
brett

sounds like the module this happens to mine

bob
bob

There is a safety cut out which prevents the vehicle from moving/being driven if the coolant level in the resivour is bellow a certain level.

Zippo · Grand Cherokee

We have a my14 Jeep Cherokee Diesel.When towing a caravan should the lights function be on manual or auto as we seem to have a problem with losing our running lights, however the blinkers and stoplights still work. have had both the car and caravan checked out by our mechanic and everything is fine. When first hooked up all is good for a couple of k's then bingo no running lights. everyone is baffled by this problem. Does anyone have suggestions please?

Wayne
Wayne

Hi Zippo. We always leave our lights on automatic when towing the caravan, and have never had any problems. Have you checked your caravan's wiring harness closely at the towbar? We had an experience where the harness had tangled with the coupling mechanism on tight parking turns, severing some of the wires but not necessarily the plastic insulation which coated them. There have also been times with earlier vans where the male side of the 12-pin socket was too compressed on some lights, and needed widening quite simply with a small flat screwdriver. Anyway, if either of checks don't solve it, it might be worth testing with an alternate tow vehicle to see whether it's a caravan wiring problem or the Jeep. The latter seems unlikely.

Zippo

Thank you for your response. Have done all of the above and also rang Jeep to ask the question. they suggested as the van is a 2003 to check the globes on the running lights as the may be drawing too much. on doing that we have renewed the globes with LED and renewed the number plate lights completely. all seems ok at the moment will see how it goes on the next trip.

David H
David H · Grand Cherokee WH (2005-2010)

Why is my 2010 5.7litre Jeep Grand Cherokee transfer case making humming noise while accelerating what would cause it to make humming/grinding noise while I’m accelerating?

Tony
Tony

Hi David check the front tailshaft rear cv joint very common for grease to come out. If ok check transfer box oil.

David H
David H · Grand Cherokee WH (2005-2010)

I own a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7litre hemi my question is last week I started hearing a humming noise when I accelerate or a I am going about 45mph the noise seems to be coming from right below between front seats, what could be causing the noise and why only when I accelerate or I’m going 45 mph does it seem to start?

Select a listing for your question
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Jeep? Claim your listing.