12Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep Grand Cherokee Questions & Answers (page 4)

Brand Manager for Jeep? Claim your listing.
Steve
Steve · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Will a 2 inch left effect the front drive shaft cv or cause diff rotation ?

Happy · Grand Cherokee

Hi i have a jeepgrand cherokee limited year 2014 can any one help me reset my side mirrors they are auto in reverse. When reversing all i see is the curb .not good for carport post ...(yours..mel).

Annie4323
Annie4323

Call or take it to an authorised dealer workshop..

Tony

Hi Happy check settings ,driving aids, on your radio screen monitor ? Also should say in your manual.

Happy

Thank you (tony) all good now the carpost said same,,, yours.(happy).

jess
jess · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

What all do you need for a tune up for a 2011 larado v6?

Pedro
Pedro · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

I have a 2014 GC Summitt. I was driving it in low range with hill descent and off road 2 and the air bag apparently got a hole in it, the dealer thinks it was punctured by a rock or stick. Price to replace will be $1626.00. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Anne
Anne · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

We have 2014 Jeep Cherokee and yesterday the electrical steering pump failed. As you would know to fix it would be about $ 4000. Surely something has to be faulty if something like that happens after 4 years and not one service was missed. Please advice.OR give me a name and number of someone that I can contact.

Anne

Josh
Josh

Hi Anne, if they won't fix it, have a mechanic take the pump out and clean it out with carby cleaner and replace the fluid with new fluid. The brushes wear down and the carbon powder circulates and sticks to the circuitry causing shorts. Cleaning the carbon off often fixes it. It's about 2 hours work all up

Price171
Price171

Hi Anne, Check the government recall site www.recall.gov.au I just read about that problem with the alternator causing the power steering pump to fail. You need to check if the recall was done on your car. Cheers Ken

Tony

Hi Anne with ref to electric pump failing. Leaked fluid or just stopped working.

Contact jeep Australia and complain. If vehicle serviced with main dealer ask for good wil.

Craig T
Craig T · Grand Cherokee WH (2005-2010)

I am looking to buy a 2008 JGC. Am unsure which engine , either V6 diesel or 4.7 V8.

Am concerned of reliability and problems with Merc diesel after 10 yrs.

Anyone assist with my problem please?

mario
mario

Hi Craig. i currently have a 2009 jeep grand Cherokee diesel with 170, 000 k on it and it has been the best car i have ever had, i live in Tasmania and it has done mutable trips to Queensland towing a 3.0 tonne caravan, and it has been faultless, the merc engine is something special, never uses a drop of oil. i get it serviced every 10,000 k.average fuel consumption without the van is 9.1 liters per 100 and with the van is 13.9 per 100. excellent ride great vision, i normally get around 50,000 km from a set of tyres. this is my second jeep, first was a 2006 model with same engine, that one had over 200,000 k on it when i sold it and again no problems .i will defiantly go for one that was built before 2011, good luck Mario

Thanks Mario,

Appreciate your input.

Have a great day.

Nat
Nat · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

Question about MY14 Jeep SRT. 112000kms on my jeep and have had no problems until last week. The suspension light has all of a sudden come on, comes on after the car has only been running for 2 mins, then the suspension goes all hard and feels like I'm driving on boulders. Now to todays problem: Go to turn into a street and my steering stiffens up and brake doesn't work, car shudders and turns off (but dash and on button still say the car is running). Message that pops up on screen says "Service Electronic Throttle Control".

Has this happened to anyone before???? would love some advise before I prepare myself for what Jeep is going to tell me

Franko
Franko · Grand Cherokee

2012 grand Cherokee Larado Jeep Diesel 3 litre TD auto 4 WD

Sometimes it cranks over and just won't start anyone have similar issues?

Tony

Hi Franko check to see if you have had the fuel pump relay recall modification. free from jeep ring your dealer to check.

Face
Face · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

What is auto park please and how do I get out of this please

B.Tonk
B.Tonk · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

I just brought a 2012 grand cherokee , it has washers for the headlights but I can,t find a switch to operate them , any answers

Joe
Joe

It automatically activates when you use the windshield washers. I have a 2015 model and they both turn on together. There is no way to turn them on seperately.

OK thanks heaps

lenstar1
lenstar1

(With Headlights On) By pushing in the wiper stalk consecutively (one after another without interruption) will operate the headlight washers every 1 to 2 second bursts.

Pyropeter
Pyropeter · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

Does anybody know the situation on a fix for the SAT NAV Address finding issue when going interstate? I know the bypass is using the voice control, but this had been going on for 18 months. Dealer says nothing available.

Devil
Devil

I have the same problem. I did contact the customer service last year and they advised that a update was coming in March 17 , then April and then they were not sure. Gave my car for servicing and told still no update available. Jeep vehicles are good but they are let down by the customer service and staff you talk to are not friendly.

Sam B
Sam B · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

Hi

Just after a suggestion about to thinking to buy Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015 limited diseal demo or used under 45000km. my partner recon it's not the best vehicle to buy as got ongoing problems as she deal with fleet cars at her work. But I love the jeep and want to own once and their is to much rumours about the cars history and expenpisive servicing. after reading the reviews here seems like 80/85% people love the car they owned. Please any suggestion what should I be doing go ahead with the deal or just scrap the idea till few more years?

Sam

Tash
Tash

Sam did you read my review. Please don’t buy this you will regret it. There is no customer service at all!!!! For a vehicle at this price you would expect they are there when things go wrong especially and I stress especially when it’s a fault with the car and not the owner. My Jeep Grand Cherokee locked itself with my keys and baby inside and security guards and police had to smash my window to get in. You would think Jeep would at least at least repair my window. Nope they want nothing to do with it.. I now have to go through ACCC or fair trading. The whole ordeal was terrifying and if I could turn back time I would have listened to the so many other people that said don’t buy JEEP.

Bak Oor · Grand Cherokee

I own a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Limited with 8 speed auto transmission. I need more horse power. Will a K&N air intake filter show any improvements?

SthnHighlander
SthnHighlander

How much horsepower do you want? - I have exactly the same vehicle and tow a 1400kg horse float and then put 2 x 600kg horses on board and we can still cruise comfortably at 110kph.

Without the trailer, I have passed many a vehicle in excess of 150 kph with ease and it was just starting to open up. Have you tried putting it is 'sports' mode and putting your foot down? We have now done 105,000kms and no real problems except for a glitch with the S49 recall. As I live in a rural area I have the vehicle service by my local mechanic, so Jeep can't fiddle with the computer.

I wouldn't touch anything under the bonnet - maybe you should have bought a SRT.

Bak Oor

Thanks for the reply. Better the devil you know than the one you dont know. I will stick to my jeep. So far very reliable and excellent service from our local Jeep workshops

Brian R
Brian R · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

Good afternoon, I'm seriously considering buying a MY15 Dec 2016 Grand Cherokee Laredo and selling my Ford Ranger but after reading the mixed reports on the vehicle I'm not sure which way to go.

GC seemed to have had a lot of faults (electrical and others around 2011-12 and they seemed to have been fixed!!, but now issues with software fixes especially relating to the engine fan.

Can you give me a "heads up" on the vehicle as it appears since Fiat bought out Chrysler they seem to have lifted the reliability of the vehicle. There also seems to be issues with the service centres, so I thought I would get the vehicle serviced at my local mechanic who is very reputable in a service centre and sacrifice the road service.

Can you enlighten me on the problems and if the issues have been addressed and the vehicle is now reliable?

The resale price on the GC seems low due to the ongoing problems?

Brian

Freeo

I've had issues with the vehicle since purchasing this brand new. First issue was exterior of car where rubber that holds the wipers down or cover them from exposure completely came apart from the window within a couple of weeks of purchase. I only noticed this because I decided to give the car a hand wash myself at home, it took James Frizelles Automotive Jeep servicing a couple of months to get the part in and have it replaced, I had to follow up on that. Next issue was the brakes grinding, this started two months are we purchased the vehicle. I took the car in three times before they actually did anything about it. By the 3rd or 4th time I had taken several videos to record the grinding and squeaking it was making every time the car slowed down......very embarrassing especially as it always did it when you slowed down at lights and stop signs etc as everyone would look to see where the irritating squeak came from! Every time I took the car in they would tell me everything looked good and fine with the brakes making me feel like I was just whinging about something until I took the video recording in. Straight away the service guy that I played the video to said the brakes needed grinding???? I asked why it was doing this and no one can say why, especially as the car was purchased brand new and it started happening almost immediately. Unfortunately, 6 months after James Frizelles Jeep service centre said they had fixed and repaired the brakes, the squeak has once again returned. Again I took the car in and told there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Since then we've taken the vehicle in again and told the exact same thing as we were told previously......nothing wrong, appears to be fine.........since then we've taken it in for a service and they decided to grind the brakes once again. Software problems that we've experienced are the Bluetooth consistently drops out, you have to reconnect your phone every time you hop in the vehicle even if it is the favourite in the system. You have to occasionally delete and reconnect all devices as the system will not recognise the devices after a certain amount of time. Twice we have had the air conditioning just not work which we advised JFJSC about. When taken in for them have a look at they questioned me about why it was blowing out air at 2 degrees, I have the settings set at 22 degrees which is clearly shown on the screen in the car. I didn't know what to say to that except that if I select 22 and it is showing 22 on the settings then something must be wrong with the system??? The media system is supposed to have a feature that will download and read text messages for certain phones, unfortunately this doesn't work, if you've got an iPhone that feature doesn't work at all. We've had issues with the lumber support in both the driver and passenger seat but once again when advised we are always told they would have a look and always 100% of the time have come back saying there is absolutely no issues. If you're buying used and it's out of warranty etc then I would not recommend servicing at Jeep. We had a service today which cost $700, when I did a mechanic search on Autoguru today there were qualified/approved mechanics that did it for half that price I just quoted. Hope this info helps!

Lile O
Lile O · Grand Cherokee

Are all grand cherokees v8?

Freeo

No, the model I have is a V6. Basic entry Laredo.

NS64
NS64

I don't think there is v8 of grand Cherokee unless you go with the Hemi SRT option..

Rob
Rob · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

My 2014 GC Laredo diesel is going well. 70,000kms on it with 50,000 towing a van around Australia. Van got a flat tyre and delaminated last month. Could not get the jack underneath to change tyre. Back in Melbourne I purchased an inflatable jack. This morning did a trial run. PROBLEM. Could not get exhaust pressure to inflate the jack. Tried everything but very little exhaust pressure from either exhausts. Had a tapping noise for 12 months and thought it was engine but may well be an exhaust leak. Anyone experienced similar problem?

Rob

Good news people. Solved my own problem. Had a decent look underneath at the exhaust system. My interpretation was twin exhausts is twin mufflers/convertors. Hence when one exhaust pipe covered by exhaust jack then the remainder of exhaust gasses are coming out of the other exhaust pipe. So............ where does it leave me with the exhaust gas jack??? Alternative... block of the other exhaust pipe to direct ALL gasses into the car jack bag. Got a tennis ball and will block one exhaust to re direct the gasses to one tail pipe. That may solve the problem. BUT the exhaust bag also has a nozzle to attach a 12v compressor to. I did a trial run with this and it works Ok on 12v compressor. Takes only about 10 minutes to pump up. So thats one function i can use. But in practice the van is still attached to the Jeep when the puncture occurs. So that would mean unhooking the Jeep and rotating it so the 12v terminals can be accessed from underneath the bonnet. Ideally the exhaust bag should be used with the Jeep still attached. So will work on the tennis ball method. :-)

Shell
Shell · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

My Parents have a Grand Jeep Cherokee 2013, odometer reading. 70,000klms

Tows caravan on Highway or Tar road only, about 10 times in total.

Has never been Off Road.

Started making noises underneath recently

Took it to Dealership yesterday, and they have advised, that the problem is the DriveShaft.

They have advised that the vehicle is to be left and not driven until repaired.

Dad can't believe that the DriveShaft has gone at such low klms, and is worried now that it is out of warranty.

Is this a common fault?, I have noticed in America there are a couple of Websites talking about similar issues.

Your knowledge in this issue would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Concerned Daughter

Hi Shell

Your parents Jeep is the same as mine, I've done 120,000 kms & towed a 3.25tonne van for almost half of these. I have had no problems with the driveshaft & neither have two friends of mine with Grand Cherokee's.

I've had dealerships tell me the brakes need replacing & I need needed new tyres.

I think your dad might be wise to get another opinion as some service agents aren't total honest.

As stated earlier my two mates also tow relatively large vans & we have had no such issues

Kind Regards

Hi Shell

I'm sorry to hear that your parents have experienced a problem with their Jeep. My knowledge is restricted to my own personal experience plus the friends and family that I know who also own this vehicle (2 friends and a brother-in-law) and none of us have had any issues in this area at all. I am also a car enthusiast and subscribe to car magazines and read lots on the internet and again I haven't heard of this issue, but at the end of the day, if your parents were the only ones in the World to experience this then its still an issue for them, hopefully the dealer can sort it out. I guess now that you've brought it to my attention I will start researching it for myself. It may be a simple as replacing a universal joint in the drive shaft, this is a wear and tear item but my vehicle has done 150,000 kms and literally today I took it to Pedders for a brake steering and suspension check and the guy said he couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Its possible that your parents car was just unlucky enough to have been assembled with a faulty bearing in the universal joint or something. Hopefully it won't be too costly to repair, cars are machines, they need maintenance from time to time, each one is different.

Kind regards

Dave

DJW61
DJW61 · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

I have a 2014 WK2 diesel GC and my fuel consumption isn't as good after my last service. I used to get 9 L/100 around town and now its around 10.5. Also towing my 2.7 ton van was around 14- 15 now I can't get less than 17 . I have a friend that has a 2013 GC also and he has the same issue since his last service also ? Any help?

Hi

I've have not experienced a great deal of change in fuel usage. I have my serviced every 10,000ks.

When Towing our van weather conditions & terrain are the things that make the greatest fluctuations regarding fuel usage. I've have average usage as low as 14litre per 100ks towing our van but with strong head winds and lots of hills around 22 litre per 100 Ks there is many variables that could have been the cause

Regards

Karma_Finds_Truth

Sorry I can't help with this, its quite strange, I would return it to the place you had it last serviced and discuss it with them. I'd also ask them if they did any updates to your engine management system that may have had a negative influence on your fuel economy too, if they did ask if they could revert back to previous version to see if fuel economy returns to "normal".

DJW61

Thanks ! Ok I did the obvious and rang the dealer. I just thought I would ask the question here first to give me ammo when they would say they have "never heard of it" . Anyway I may have stretched the truth as to how many replies I got to a thread ( didn't say which one ) and I was told there is a second update ( T01) to an update done earlier that stopped the fan running fast after the update that stopped the cars running over move stars :) that he said had caused fuel consumption issues. I have it booked in to have this done next week I will advise how I go.

DJW61

All sorted and back to the consumption I was getting. Took my van away on the weekend ( approx. 200k ) and got 13.8L/100 average.

Mummamia88
Mummamia88 · Grand Cherokee WK (2010-2024)

I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel Model. Have it from new and the other week I was driving a spring popped out and I realised it was from my gear stick! Once it popped off I could not change gears. Luckily I was at a family members house and we were able to sticky tape it back in position. Took my car to get the latest recall completed and got Jeep to have a look at it. Car is now a few months out of warranty and they want to charge me $900 to replace it!!! They say they have to replace the whole gear stick??? The dealership wrote to Jeep on my behalf for a good will to see if Jeep would cover it (because really it's faulty) and they have come back and flat out DENIED the claim with no explanation whatsoever. Has this problem happened to anyone?? Very disappointed that this can happen to a $70,000 + car!

Paul
Paul

You know, i put a positive review forward and have heard quite a lot of these stories since. I have the srt 2015 and had the jgc overland 5.7 2012/3 and didn't have any issues. I can't provide advice as I don't do a lot of k's and don't keep past end of warranty.

This issue does sound like jeep should have stepped up and I am disappointed that a car and brand I really like does so much to ruin that feeling.

I Bought a Heap
I Bought a Heap

There is a legal obligation on Jeep to provide a product with a reasonable expectation of durability under Consumer Law and that sounds like it has certainly failed the durability test. I would go via Consumer Affairs and approach FCA direct, not the dealer.

Pretty poor form from Jeep, but after sales service is simply not their thing despite what they put in their advertisements. Parts pricing is simply appalling. You can probably buy the part for 1/10 the cost direct from the States, however Jeep will refuse to fit it even though it is the same part that they sell. IMO (& experience), Jeep DO NOT stand behind their product and they will do their best to avoid paying where ever they can. I bought a Heap, from Essendon Jeep :-(

Kabyu
Kabyu · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

does a diesel need a tow pack to tow a 3000kg caravan

Johan
Johan

I would suggest you talk to a Jeep dealer or the caravan manufacturer.

Jacob
Jacob

I am not sure what you mean by a tow pack. I have a standard jeep tow bar fitted and use the " easylift hitch and level rides" for towing a 3000kg caravan.

Bob P
Bob P

I am not sure what you mean by a "tow pack". I have a standard Jeep 3500kg capacity tow bar fitted to my 3L diesel and I use a Hayman Reece weight distribution hitch to pull my 2700kg ATM caravan. I think the issue of diesel or petrol should not be a consideration when you are thinking about fitting a tow pack.

Kabyu

ok,so what i mean is do i have to upgrade the transmission and gearbox cooling system,on the later model Jeeps they refer to it as a 'Tow pack'

David
David

Different models vary.

The 3.0 litre diesel can tow 3.5 tonnes, with 350kg towball weight, and tows our 3tonne van with consummate ease.

Highly recommended!

Bunbury
Bunbury

I have the diesel and no tow pack required. The new vehicles are set up to be able to tow without modifications.Tow packs are a thing of the past when vehicle were not really built for towing so needed extra cooling for your automatic transmission or a bigger radiator. I have been towing a 3t van (very loaded sometimes) for a while and have no issues

Kabyu

Thanks for all the info helped me heaps especially David as i am now looking at a WH 3.0 ltr

Select a listing for your question
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Jeep? Claim your listing.