John Deere X300

John Deere X300

See the Best Ride-On Mowers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Good thing it is no longer available

This is a good mower but very expensive to maintain. For the price of all the maintenance I could have purchased another mower from a Lowes or Home Depot. I live on a hill. This transmission is not one for hills. That was only $1300.00. The belt for the deck is expensive. Replaced 4 times @ $130 each time. I will not buy another John deere mower.

Date PurchasedMar 2009

Worst mower I have ever had!

I mow once a week. I never mow a wet yard and yet even with brand new blades my grass seems to continually clump up. My shoot cover is up. I have 200 hours and I have gone through 5 belts because every time you back up it disengages the blades.

Date PurchasedMay 2012

ClintNational City

Seat Material

After 200 hours of using it for lawn cutting the seat material is flaking off. It was never left outdoors always kept in a temperature and humidity controlled space. I cannot believe such cheap material was put on a John Deere. Also, there is no gas gauge. I have to get off the tractor and try to find the gas level in the tank? Ridiculous cost saving by salesmen and bean counters not someone who ever uses a tractor. After having John Deere equipment for most of my life, I will never buy another.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

ZownerSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good Mower almost 5 stars.

Date PurchasedNov 2009

Good, sturdy ride!

Date PurchasedMay 2012

John0303Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

it's the lowest cost ride on worth having

Date PurchasedAug 2015

2 burned up transmissions!! junk!

I bought an x300 thinking I was buying a quality product. I was wrong! Junk! With 60 hrs my tranny started to go. I could only mow for 20 minutes and the tranny wouldnt move the mower. So I bought a new tranny from JD dealer. That one went too. Ill never buy a JD again. Their customer service said they admitted their engineers put to small of a tranny in this tractor. Of course nothing they could do for me. JUNK JD JUNK!

Date PurchasedApr 2005

Awful Awful

Purchased this mower for 2,200.00 I have only put 30 hours on it and it had 32 when I bought it. The transmisson went out already. Can you believe it I called dealer and told them the guys name was [name removed] he offered no help at all.ripoff.sickening you would think they would offer me some type of help.

Date PurchasedJul 2012

dont buy a John Deere,very unreliable

Bought my x300 new,it has already been back to dealer twice with the same problem. The mower belt has been failing around every 50hrs. Dealer says caused from a stick getting caught,but not the case. Bit of a joke really.This time was at my cost. Nearly $800 later because of other damage when last belt broke.For $6000 not the best cut either won't buy another JD. As for JD warranty and back up/customer service, almost no existence after they have your money and it leaves the shop. Will be trading in asap

lossey mower belts

our mower keeps taking out the mower belts on our X300, would not recommend this machine to anyone
it is a poor machine , what else is going to go wrong with it, our LA 135 is a lot better machine than the X300
it out preforms better than the X300

Excellent Mower with one exception

A good overall mower from John Deere. It runs quiet, cuts well and is reasonable stable on sloped hills with a comfortable ride on rough farm yards. BUT, If you are serious about lawn care then the John Deere x300 series may not be the right option for you.

Having difficulty after 2 years with the transmission - we will see if JD fixes this or charges me for it.

Obe
Obe

The transmission problem was fixed under warranty without hassle or incident... I felt it was only right to amend my review with this follow-up to the issue.

Dazzler87

Dazzler87North-West & West coast, TAS

Good Tractor except for the weak Transmission

Make it Right JD
Make it Right JD

Why doesn't JD the Harley of Lawn Tractors get their act together and fix this nonsense once and for all

Bazzmen

BazzmenAU

Terrible

See all John Deere X300 Select Series reviews

Bettyasked

Why does our JD x300 mow for an hour or two then just shut off and refuse to start?

Clint

I have not experienced this problem. I have not had any problem with the engine. I assume that it is either a fuel or ignition problem. I only use high test gas without ethanol. and add a little sea foam. This is expensive but a lot cheaper in the long run than taking the carburetor apart to clean it. You should be able to determine if it is one of the above easily by removing the spark plug to see if it sparks when you turn the engine over. If it does then check the carburetor to see if it is getting fuel.

Zowner

Which motor is in this machine?
How old is it?
How many hours has it done?
Has the servicing been done?
Maybe new spar plugs or other electrical parts have failed,

Betty

Definitely a carburetor problem. Fuel goes to the carburetor. When it’s on full throttle it shuts down. It will continue to run smooth on idle. Possibly wire on bottom of carburetor (?)

Specialed

Specialedasked

How far well the seat adjust?

Hello Specialised,
forward and back approx. 4" I think

Clint

Yes, from all the way forward to all the way back 4 inches which is adequate for me at 6 feet 2 inches and my wife at 5 Feet 5 inches to operate the tractor comfortably.

Laura B

Laura Basked

Trying to put a wheel back on after punctured tyre repair...having trouble...any hints?

John0303

Hi Laura - sorry can't help you. BUT I suggest once you have it back on you re-inflate all 4 with "zero flat" (my term - but a self repair puncture product. You will be able to get it from most auto places.

Get an answer from our members and John Deere representatives