Aptamil Feed Thickener

Aptamil Feed Thickener

sammi56

sammi56australia

Avoid this product!

Got this for my baby thinking it would help him feel more full and help with up chuck's.
Was I wrong! My 3 week old son and I haven't slept for the last two nights because he's had violent diarrhoea, I had to watch my poor baby shaking in pain and crying non stop. He wouldn't even take anymore bottles, he got so sick. He also now has a very raw bum with sores and screams every time I've got to clean him. Upon reading the ingredients it's ridiculous how much sugar is actually in this product! Way too much for any baby to be having. This horrible concoction should be pulled from shelves so no more babies suffer what my poor baby has gone through.

Purchased in October 2019.

Easy to PrepareNo

Wendy ASouth East Queensland, QLD

This should come with a warning!!

Purchased in October 2019 at Malouf Pharmacies.

Breastfed Child Yes
Stuart S.Aptamil

Hi Wendy, I'm sorry that this product didn't suit your baby. There could be a number of reasons why so please give us a call so we can have a chat to help you better. The number for our Careline is 1800 438 500. Kind regards, Hilary Reg.Nutritionist

Charlotte

CharlotteMid North Coast, NSW

Did not help at all

Done nothing with my 5 month old. No change what so ever. Still brings up milk after each feed. Used the recommended amount and nothing. Very disappointed I paid $18 for this.

Purchased in September 2019 at Chemist Warehouse for $18.00.

Caused Unease / Sickness No
Seza21

Seza21Victoria

Wish I purchased sooner

My baby was vomiting after every single feed, till our MCHN recommended we add this to her formula. Noticed a MASSIVE difference from the very first feed with it. My baby girl is even happier then before and sooo much more content and even sleeping better. Can’t recommend this product enough!

Purchased in August 2019 at Chemist Warehouse for $16.69.

Caused Unease / Sickness No

Did the job, but caused more issues

Bub required thickener due to formulas being too thin, causing her to choke constantly. The thickener worked in that it thickened the formula, but made her extremely constipated and windy. After many days and nights of bub screaming from wind & constipation pain we stopped using it and saw loads of improvement.

Purchased in June 2019 at Chemist Warehouse.

Ash

Ash

Not worth it.

We bought this to help with my son's bad reflux, it worked for about a week then started causing more issues. We only used 1/3 of a scoop per 100ml, just to ease it into his diet, but started causing bad tummy gas and diarrhea. He was screaming in pain from his tummy troubles. As soon as we stopped the thickener, he was back to normal the next day. I'd rather reflux than a baby in pain. The ingredients just don't suit an infant diet.

Purchased in June 2019 at Drugscreen for $18.00.

Breastfed Child Yes

Tanneile

TanneileGoulburn Valley, VIC

Amazing

Bubs was always bringing up his milk, so I tried the feed thickener and added it into his milk, it started thickening his bottles straight away, and now he's not bringing up any more milk, my bubs isn't fussed by the thickener at all, its odorless and tasteless

Purchased in January 2019.

Swani

SwaniSydney

Not worth it

My bub has mild reflux and after trying almost everything my GP suggested adding thickener to the formula. I bought this one and has helped a bit with his reflux BUT it gave him occasional thick vomit, significant intake reduction and diarrhea. It also has too much sugar in it. I don't recommend it at all.

Terri

TerriGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Really helped with baby reflux

This really helped us with my baby’s reflux, helped keep the milk down. My baby didn’t mind it at all, easy to use. Price was good too! Availability of the product was also good as some thickness can be hard to find! Product stayed fresh and lasted quite a while.

Emm

EmmAdel

Substandard product

Gemma S

Gemma SAU

Has worked wonders

Has worked wonders for my son. We’re on 1.5 scoops per 100mls due to aspirating feeds. He has stopped vomiting and it has helped his reflux. He has come on so much since we started using the thickener and is now gaining weight well. All in all a more happy comfortable feeder. My only wish is that it came in a bigger tin as it doesn’t last us long for us. Also I use a stool softener every three days to keeps things flowing nicely as I did notice a couple of hard stools not long after using it.

ASN

ASNSydney

Omg it's like I have a completely different baby at 5wks old

Sam K

Sam KMelbourne, Vic

Not Worth Spending

We bought this as our baby had really bad reflux from Bellamy's infant formula. Its same price as you can buy full tin of formula. It was keep blocking the teat of feeding bottle. Our baby really struggle to drink milk out a feeding bottle & baby also got upset stomach. Will not recommend for sure.

Moochie000

Moochie000Melbourne

It was perfect until it JUST changed

This was amazing and working so well for my baby who has really bad reflux and is medicated. Since the formula has just CHANGED my baby has had non stop diarrhea. It’s our second can (so second week) please change it back. I’m not sure why you changed it ???

Jess

Jess

Not a happy baby

I decided to try thickener as our daughter was quite a vommity baby, I put it in one of her bottles and it did stop the vommiting and made her sleep solidly for 7 hours but unfortunately the next day she was a screaming constipated baby, very out of sorts. I made it up using half the recommended amount too so have not and will not use it again.

Hi Jess,
Sorry to hear about your problems with the Aptamil Feed Thickener. Please give us a ring on our toll-free number 1800 438 500 and one of our healthcare professionals will be happy to assist you.
Thanks - Nutricia Careline

Moni.j

Moni.j

Big change in bubs reflux from first bottle.

After my Bub was diagnosed with cmpi and reflux we were put into Neocate which seemed to help some symptoms but his reflux was worse on it being such a thin formula. We decided to try the feed thickener before medicating with losec. What a difference from the first bottle he settled no vomits and seemed content which is very unlike my little man. Early days but we are happy so far only use 1scoop to start with and seems fine.

Horrible product for my child

Nutricia Careline T.Aptamil

Hi Rachael K, sorry to hear baby has been struggling so much. Please give us a call on 1800 438 500 or email/livechat and one of our midwives/nutritionist/dietitians will be happy to help. Kind regards - Nutricia Careline

Iryna

IrynaMosman

Great idea but didn't work

I can't understand but all infant formulas are so liquidly made that it's hard to feed babies who often regurgitate. The idea to thicken breastmilk and formulas is pretty awesome but my baby didn't like it. He definitely refused to take it in gel form and tried to vomit it all. It was tricky but I tried to thicken formula and it resulted in strong constipation to my little son. And be aware - it contains sugars (2.3g per 100g) and sodium (10.1mg per 100g). Unfortunately it doesn't work for my bubba. Won't buy again

Kiki

KikiMelbourne

Works well once you establish correct dose for your individual situation

Like anything with babies, this took a bit of trial and error. Yes it gave him diarrhoea and yes it made him constipated but once we got the ratio right its been great. We add 1 spoon to 130mls formula and he now drinks comfortably and burps reliably. It can clog the teat if you don't mix it in well enough though. I prefer this to changing formula as I can tailor the dose to suit his individual needs

Teena

TeenaAU

Works well

This stuff is amazing. It allowed me to continue breastfeeding my very colic'y and reflux prone baby without the hours upon hours of crying. It's not the easiest stuff to use and trying to syringe it into a tiny bubba is tricky. But if you can get it in it works wonders.

Brenda M.

Brenda M.asked

How much aptamil do i add to water

Wendy A

The tin suggests one scoop 4g per 100ml of breast milk or formula. They dont mention this on the tin but they have recommended on this product review site that its good to slowly introduce the thickener so baby gets used to it.

Nutricia Careline T.Aptamil

Brenda, we recommend one scoop of feed thickener for each 100mL of milk. If you are breastfeeding it can be made into a paste to feed to baby before and during the feed - 1/2 a scoop with 5-10mL of cooled boiled water or expressed breastmilk works well. Regards Sue Nutricia Careline.

Jana S.

Jana S.asked

can i mix Optimal Feed Thickener with cow milk, for a 20 month old baby who was born 27 weeks premature ??? thank you

Stuart S.Aptamil

Hi there Jana S. Yes, the Aptamil Feed Thickener can be used with any food or fluid when thickening is needed. It is worthwhile checking with your doctor or dietitian that it is safe addition for your little one (due to babies very early arrival).
Do feel free to connect with us via livechat, phone or email (nutriciacareline@danone.com) if you would like to talk through what might help and the best way forward.
Kristin- Dietitian

Eren

Erenasked

I am solely breastfeeding our 7 week old daughter. I currently express 1 bottle in the morning and give her that bottle of breastmilk at night to hopefully make her fuller for longer, however am interested to see if this feed thickener will help make her fuller for longer, without causing constipation, has anyone else had any success or horror stories from doing this?

Get an answer from our members and Aptamil representatives

CategoryBaby Formulas