Aptamil Feed Thickener

Aptamil Feed Thickener Questions & Answers

26 questions from our users

emma

emmaasked

Hi my 16 month old has dysphagia and we have been using this product for thickening her milk for a year. Now she takes water as well can we use this product to thicken her water drinks to the same consistency? She cant tolerate thin liquids

Nutricia CarelineAptamil

Hi Emma, we would recommend that you give us a call on our Careline to discuss the specific needs of your daughter. You can ring us on 1800 438 500. We look forward to hearing from you soon! - Amanda

Katie
Katie

My 8 week old soon is using this product for reflux, but has become constipated, how can I stop that from happening ?

Nutricia CarelineAptamil

Hi Katie, we would recommend that you give us a call on our Careline to discuss the specific needs of your baby. We require a bit more information such as how much feed thickener you are using and which formula you are mixing it with, to make a recommendation. You can contact us on 1800 438 500, or live chat us at www.aptanutrition.com.au. We look forward to hearing from you soon! - Amanda, Nutricia Careline.

Lana

Lanaasked

How many times a day can I put thickener in his bottle?

Nutricia CarelineAptamil

Hi Lana, You can use the Aptamil Feed Thickener in every bottle to help control baby's reflux. Cheers Sue Careline Nutritionist.

Ram

Ramasked

hi team, just after 24 hours of feed our little man is not pooing at all, which he used to 2-3 times before. Is it common?
We used only on the expressed breast milk.

Cheers
Ram

Nutricia CarelineAptamil

Hi Ram, thank you for getting in touch. This can be normal. However, could I suggest you give the Careline a call so that we can ask a few more questions please? Warm regards - Lucie Careline Midwife 1800 438 500

Dhillon D.asked

My baby is 2 months old. Started this products last week she was doing fine but now from yesterday she is doing 3-4 poo’s. I am giving 100ml in 120 ml. She is not crying or looking upset at the moment but worried about her getting upset stomach. Any recommendation please

Mara A.
Mara A.

It is really trial and error but an already thickened formula is always better. Our baby is reacting much better with novalac reflux. The nan comfort was too thin for him and he kept on choking. The Nan Ar gave him tummy aches and lots of gas. I hope this helps!

Nutricia CarelineAptamil

Hi Dhillon, the Aptamil Feed Thickener is a type of fibre and this can lead to runnier bowel motions in some babies. You can try adding a little less of the feed thickener, e.g. half a scoop to 120ml and see it that works. If you would like to discuss this further, please call the Careline on 1800 438 500 in Australia or 0800 438 500 in New Zealand and one of our dietitians or nutritionists will be able to assist you. Warm regards - Caroline - Careline Nutritionist.

Anum T.

Anum T.asked

Can I use thickener mixed in breastmilk after an hour or 2 as my baby sleeps mid feed. So it takes at least 2 hours to feed her. How long is the mixture good to feed?

Nutricia CarelineAptamil

Once breastmilk is warmed it is recommended that it is discarded after 1 hour. If your little one is taking longer to feed, you may like to try making smaller portions. This can help avoid discarding unused Breastmilk.

Esty

Estyasked

My 9 week old son has a milk protein allergy. He is on the pepti junior good + formula. Can the thickener be used with this. He is used to being on the reflux one he isn't used to a thinner formula and doesn't really like it unless I add the thickener. Just want to make sure it's safe to use .

Nutricia CarelineAptamil

Aptamil feed thickener is ok to be used with Pepti Junior. There is no milk protein in the ingredients of this product however the feed thickener is not made in allergen free environment. If your baby has a severe or anaphylactic reaction you may like to check with your health care professional prior to use

MarinA

MarinAasked

Hi
My baby is 6 weeks old, i used this thickener with breast milk. But sometimes my baby doesn’t finish the bottle could i keep it and give it to her later and just add more milk or not ?
I don’t want to wast the milk.

Nutricia CarelineAptamil

Hi Marina, The Aptamil Feed thickener can be used with breast feeding. It can be used as a paste spooned into baby's mouth and then fed off the breast. Or you can add it to expressed breastmilk. There is no need to use any formula for a breastfed baby with reflux, we would advise you continue to breastfeed for as long as you want to. If you add the thickener to expressed breastmilk and baby does not drink it all we do recommend you throw the left over milk out for bacteria/hygiene reasons. Regards Sue Careline Nutritionist.

Sebla K.

Sebla K.asked

This thickener is working really well for my daughter. I've been using it for four months now since she was born but wondering if it's safe to use it this long?

Brenda M.

Brenda M.asked

How much aptamil do i add to water

Wendy A
Wendy A

The tin suggests one scoop 4g per 100ml of breast milk or formula. They dont mention this on the tin but they have recommended on this product review site that its good to slowly introduce the thickener so baby gets used to it.

Nutricia Careline T.Aptamil

Brenda, we recommend one scoop of feed thickener for each 100mL of milk. If you are breastfeeding it can be made into a paste to feed to baby before and during the feed - 1/2 a scoop with 5-10mL of cooled boiled water or expressed breastmilk works well. Regards Sue Nutricia Careline.

Jana S.

Jana S.asked

can i mix Optimal Feed Thickener with cow milk, for a 20 month old baby who was born 27 weeks premature ??? thank you

Nutricia CarelineAptamil

Hi there Jana S. Yes, the Aptamil Feed Thickener can be used with any food or fluid when thickening is needed. It is worthwhile checking with your doctor or dietitian that it is safe addition for your little one (due to babies very early arrival).
Do feel free to connect with us via livechat, phone or email (nutriciacareline@danone.com) if you would like to talk through what might help and the best way forward.
Kristin- Dietitian

Eren

Erenasked

I am solely breastfeeding our 7 week old daughter. I currently express 1 bottle in the morning and give her that bottle of breastmilk at night to hopefully make her fuller for longer, however am interested to see if this feed thickener will help make her fuller for longer, without causing constipation, has anyone else had any success or horror stories from doing this?

Liv W

Liv Wasked

Hi my baby is on Aptamil HA formula and I started using the thickener yesterday only using a 1/4 scoop per bottle, will it make him constipated ?

Nutricia Careline T.Aptamil

Hi Liv, all babies are different and can react differently to different products. The Aptamil feed thickener can slow down the transit from mouth to bottom and this can result in constipation for some babies. Please ring us at the Careline on AU 1800 438 500 or NZ 0800 438 500 and one of our dietitians or nutritionists will be able to assist you further. Caroline - Careline Nutritionist

Caitie E.

Caitie E.asked

Can i use this in a lactose free formula? Does it contain dairy?

Emm
Emm

It is “meant” to be dairy free... however, my daughter started having mucous in her nappies, her eczema flared, and she became incredibly unsettled when we were using this. There were no other changes to her diet. Another woman said she believed it contained dairy due to the reaction her child had whilst on it. So who knows, but it certainly did not appear dairy free for us.

Hi Caitie
There is NO dairy in the Aptamil Feed Thickener, it is made in the same factory as our milk powders but cross contamination is extremely rare and unlikely. Please note that lactose intolerance and a cows milk protein allergy are not the same, lactose free formula is a cows milk protein formula. If you would like to know more information please call us at the Careline on 1800 438 500 and we can help you further. Regards Jeanette - Midwife

Heleena H.

Heleena H.asked

Can I use less feed thickener to help with constipation? My baby has bad reflux and vomits almost all her feeds but is also super constipated.

Nutricia CarelineAptamil

Yes, you can use less feed thickener. But it might be worth giving us a call to discuss baby's symptoms further. Our phone number is 1800 438 500 or you can livechat us from aptanutrion.com.au
Lucie - Nutricia Careline Midwife

Nathiec

Nathiecasked

If I want to give bub this with a syringe as a gel, how much water vs powder do I mix? What’s the ratio?

Tammycasked

I have a 7 week bub and using aptamil allerpro after s26 and aptamil delact was no good for him due to constipation the formula is great for him was wondering weather to add thicker to his bottle to extend his feed time he is still unsettled after 1am every night due to pain in belly please any advise?

ASN

Ask doc. But if you have constipation issues than maybe thickener is no good for u. It does harden up the poos. Have u tried gripe water is it wind? Wind pain is super uncomfortable for babies and my baby suffered alot from wind and the corams grip water worked wonders for him. 3 times a day. Helped him to sleep longer and be more relaxed.

Tammyc

Yes he is on that gripe water when he is asleep can not get him to burp at all so been putting gripe water in his bottles of a night but not all of them

ASN

Ive heard of s26 been thick and constipation issues but aptamil is gentle never with 2 kids had constipation using aptamil brand. My baby has silent reflux which is why im using the thickener with aptamil de lact (lactose intolerance) its great but I guess every baby is different because my baby had soft mushy poos on aptamil delact and now with thickener after the initial dhiarhea phase for 2 weeks have now settled to once per day and soft mushy again. Havent had the constipation issue. Its been 1 month on the thickener every single bottle.

Umme Jannat

Umme Jannatasked

How many time I can give the aptamil feed thickener?

Every single feed!

Every feed

TTJJDP

TTJJDPasked

How long does it take approximately for the thickener to set in the stomach after being consumed?

Moochie000

I find pretty much straight away providing baby isn’t drinking too fast. Or you aren’t adding enough. My baby has to have the full 4 scoops plus medication. This definitely helps us though.
Although had to be careful with tummy time after a bottle as bubs would just throw up as pressure on the tummy. Hope this helps

Nutricia Careline T.Aptamil

Hi- the Aptamil Feed Thickener should start thickening in the bottle and will continue thickening in baby's tummy. Please contact us on 1800 060 057 if you need to chat to us about this query- kind regards The Nutricia Careline team

MelGuv

MelGuvasked

After 5 days of use my 14 week old has been doing yellow mucus poos. The first 3 days were fine and doing normal poos but from day 4 the music is poos have started. I use 1 scoop in 120ml and 1 and a half scoops in 150ml. Should I discontinue use?

Nutricia Careline T.Aptamil

Hi Melguv, The Aptamil Feed Thickener should not be causing mucus in the poos. Please give us a ring on our toll-free number 1800 438 500 and one of our dietitians or nutritionists will be happy to assist you.
Thanks - Nutricia Careline

Alex L

Alex Lasked

Where do you buy this?

Nutricia Careline T.Aptamil

Hi Alex, this can be purchased from a pharmacy or online at www.mumstore.com.au. It is designed for babies and if you're needing a product for adults we have Nutricia Nutilis which can be purchased also through a pharmacy or on prescription. Feel free to call us if you need more information 1800438500. Kind regards - Nutricia Careline

Get an answer from our members and Aptamil representatives