Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS

Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS Questions & Answers

27 questions from our users

Ronald S.

Ronald S.asked

a rapper from bottom of gas saver bottle fell into tank . Is there a way to get it out or will i break down in the tank?

Ronald S.

Ronald S.asked

i put stable in gas for winter the paper on inside of cap was on bottle and i didn't see it and it fell into tank is there a way to remove with out removing the tank or will it dissolve over winter? ron

Michael S.

Michael S.asked

Is there a way that you can move the trunk back on a 2018 Vulcan Voyager? I have seen videos to modify the bike so that you can remove it completely, but I just want to move mine back an inch or 2.

Mike Oasked

Anyone ever put a stabilizer bar on the there bike and that fixed the shaking of the front end , just wondering

Mike Oasked

I have a 2013 Volcan Voyager 1700 , why does the front end shake so bad.i have new tires, new bearings? Balanced tires , air in tires r good . We can't finger this out , help please

ty12

Have you tried replacing steering head bearings? If not this may fix and if it doesn't sell the dang bike there is no fix

Mike O

We have done everything, nothing has worked. I'm gonna try lower the air in the front tire. I called the bike dealership and basically they said dont take ur hands off the bars , wow right. Thx for the comment thou , I appreciate it

ty12

I had the same problem with my 2012 vaquero. Never did get it fixed dealer spend several hours on it they even contact kaw mo help what so ever. After 3 years of fighting it I sold it.

Mike Oasked

I have a 2013 Volcan Voyager 1700 , why does the front end shake so bad?

Thomas B.

Thomas B.asked

I purchased a 2019 voyager, problems rose immediately. The switch on the kick stand went bad. The bike had to be towed back to the dealership to be fixed. The problem now the whooping noise coming from the transmission between 2or 3rd gear at 2,5oorpm. The dealership stated they all make noise. Please help me the bike only has 171miles on it?

steve

Yikes, not good news at all.....The kickstand switch may have been a bad one to start out with...Easily replaced by the dealer, just a little frustration from your end....I am guessing that this bike has full warranty,,, and the dealer should be extra vigilant in finding out what could be wrong....I ride a 2012 Voyager, problem free so far...Just tires..So I am not sure what kind of noise is coming from the engine...Could it be the drive belt....sometimes it will make a whirring sound, if not adjusted properly...Again, a quick fix by the dealer....I love my bike, and have not heard a lot of complaints, aside from the steering head bearings and engine heat....Good Luck with your new set of wheels, hopefully it will all work out for you

Mark L.

Mark L.asked

Tried to start bike, it showed a message FI. Wouldn’t start. Is that indicating bad fuel injectors or filter?

rick byfordasked

went for my first ride on my 2018 voyager 100km new bike when in 5th and 6th gear at 120kms an hour rpms 2.5 feel vibration in handle bars is this normal? [email removed]

steve

is it a teeth chattering vibration you are experiencing, or does vibration stop when you accelerate or decelerate from that speed....I find mine runs smooth at 130kms (although not recommended)...I don't find excessive vibration. Check tire pressure would be my first check....I run mine 36psi both front and back

rick byford

no not teeth chattering just vibration feeling in the handle bars same feeling with increase speed or slight decrease in speed but not in 4th gear just 5th and 6th gear running 40 lbs rear 28lbs front

Joe

Joeasked

Weird noise coming from my 2011 Kawasaki voyager gas tank, what can it be? I opened the gas cap and it stopped. it started again a few minutes later.

Max
Max

I had a weird rattle noise coming from the gas tank after a 1000 kms. The dealer replaced the rubber on the gas cap and didn't fix the problem. Turns out it was the foam underneath the chrome piece over the tank that fell off, this almost drove me nuts hearing it. It was the chromed plastic piece vibrating against the tank. I took it apart myself and fixed it, I was not impressed given it was a new bike.

James W

James Wasked

My 1700 classic runs good at idle and when warms up starts to backfire and has no acceleration. Any ideas?

Chris@acp

Interesting question, this could be a number of things. It does sound like a fuel supply problem though.
One experience that I had was associated with the fuel pump - it had got clogged up with rubbish from a bad batch of petrol and it started just fine but when you tried to ride it it behaved like a real pig - I was finding that under acceleration it would surge and would struggle to get up to speed and was generally misbehaving (backfiring, coughing, spluttering etc) - but like yours when it was sitting at the lights it would be fine - sometimes when you go to take off from the lights it would cough splutter (to a point you would think it is going to stall) and when you give it a boot full of juice it would surge forward. Anyway, if these symptoms are similar to what you are experiencing then the resolution (for me) was to change the fuel pump in the tank. The problem is, the pump costs a small fortune as a genuine part (I think it was around $1200 aud back in 2011. I managed to secure one from overseas and it was $500aud landed - so it's not something that you want to just swap out - but if you want to try it shop around for the best price.
Oh, by the way, the mechanic tried to clean it out and that was unsuccessful because the gunk had gotten right into the workings and they are not a repairable item (I suppose it had to go together so it should come apart but I was not game to try).

Brent

Brentasked

2018 Kawasaki Voyager - rode it yesterday, parked in garage overnight - totally dead this morning. Ideas?

steve

is this the first time this has happened? when you turn the key on. nothing happens? no power at all? my first check would be the battery...check and clean connections....then look for a burnt fuse...this would be the normal case.....if there is no power, it is hard to determine what specifically it could be....but I would start with the battery, then the fuses...…….let me know how you make out......I've changed my battery once, in the 7 years I've had it......and have not blown any fuses, even with adding some extra lights...……….Good Luck !

Keith P

Keith Pasked

What has happened to the 1700cc Vulcan line up? I was told by a dealer all 1700cc cruisers by Kawasaki have been deleted from the Australian market?!

tenn

tennasked

my 2009 vulcan 1700 is making a clicking noise from the rear wheel area when accelerating and a rubbing sound when i push it backwards. Any ideas?

Chris@acp

There are sooo many reasons why this could happen from a nail in the tyre all the way through to having a frayed drive belt. A rubbing noise as you push it backward would not be so unusual I would have thought - although depends on the type of rubbing noise etc etc.
I think sometimes it is good to get these things checked out by a mechanic. You really have not provided a lot of detail around the problem.

Frank

Frankasked

Looking to purchase a used Voyager, any years better than others? Anything to look for? Thanks Frank

Chris@acp

I am sorry, I can't answer that question for you specifically.
My experience is limited to the 2009 release of the product.
What I can say is when you are looking at purchasing a motorcycle (any type) you have to check it out thoroughly.
For example.
Make sure that the machine is roadworthy.
Check cables to make sure that they are not frayed etc.
Check the gearbox to make sure that it behaves the way you expect it too (under acceleration for example),
General condition (based on the number of kms/miles and the asking price),
check the electronics (such as ipod connectivity, other indicators - ABS, Cruise Control etc),
check bikes maintenance history,
check that bags and topboxes open cleanly.
Research the tyres on it to make sure that they are good.
With the voyager the only debilitating problems that I had were associated with the Fuel Pump (bike ran really rough in the lead up to it not working at all) and the gearbox (where it would jump from second gear to first under acceleration) - apart from that it was a real good bike.

I know, you knew that already right :)

Rick Fasked

I have the 2013 Vulcan Voyager 1700 since 2014 and I notice that the cruise control won't engage, the indicator light comes on but that about it. The only thing I've changed was the handgrips but I had Kawasaki check it out and they could not resolve the issue. Do you think the grips can be the problem?

Chris@acp

There are three areas where the cruise control will disengage.
1. the clutch lever has a control switch that will deactivate the cruise control if pulled in - you may want to check that this is working correctly.
2. the brake lever (both foot and hand) has a control switch that will deactivate the cruise control - you may want to check these.
3. the throttle body - if it is wound back (eg. decelerate rapidly) then this would cause the cruise control to turn off. Maybe your right hand grip has impacted the switch in the block in some way.

If the grips are the only thing you have changed then there is a fair chance that this is associated with the problem.
If you were to remove the right hand grip (or at least peel it back from the hand controller) does the "problem" go away - I know it will be tough to test ride it in that state.

have a look at this site
you will be able to get a blow apart of the unit. This may give some clues.

Rick F

Awesome I tried the option: the throttle body - if it is wound back (eg. decelerate rapidly) then this would cause the cruise control to turn off. Maybe your right-hand grip has impacted the switch in the block in some way.

Once I removed it and reinsert the grip the cruise engage properly. Thanks for your help!!!

YOB

YOBasked

I have a kwaka vaquero 1700 only got 12500km. I'm having idling problems. The dealer has tried to fix but no good. Now the stealer is trying to say " THAT'S JUST HOW THEY ARE ". I know enough about bike's to know that sporadic idling like this. Is not right . Any help much appreciated. Stealer trying to play games with me now. Cheers.

medievalbiker

no idea mine idles fine sounds like you have a problem with either the fuel pump or filter.

steve

Could be a few things.........plugs? check....idle setting (check owners manual for instructions)..ECU?? have you changed anything? Fuel processor?? fuel filter? Mine idles fine....completely stock for the moment.....you need to be more specific....what did the dealer do to try to fix this??

David

Davidasked

I love my 2017 Voyager (now has just under 5000 miles). A couple of weeks ago, after parking it in my garage (had just filled the tank) I noticed a whine coming from the area of the fairing. I looked and looked -- finally I realized it was coming from the gas tank. I opened the cap and the whine went away. Closed the cap and it came back. Eventually went away, but the garage smelled like a gas can! What caused this? I took it for a ride next day to use some of the gas (went about 50 miles) but the whine was still there. It has now subsided, but was a curious situation.

medievalbiker

Sounds like you over filled the tank leaving no room for heat expansion and what you heard was caused by that.

steve

I would play safe and take it back to the dealer for a look... could be a pinched breather line somewhere...

BILLY88

BILLY88asked

Just bought the new 2017 Voyager...I am so disappointed with this bike...It has absolutely no power and vibrates really bad at highway speeds..took to dealer and they put it on computer and said no codes showing but he took it for a ride and said there is an issue..what what !!!! they cant find any thing that is causing it....said ride it...well we went 90 horrible miles on it and parked it....This was my dream bike.......ANY HELP PLEASE

medievalbiker

I've replacement tapered steering bearing replacing the standard ones, can make a big difference to the vibration.
As for power I have had no problems and have surprised many sports bikes with the acceleration to 70mph, and I have a sidecar fitted.
but I recently fitted a new V&h exhaust and that has improved fuel efficiency by about 5 miles a gallon.

steve

Tire pressure....Check tire pressure....I run with 36lbs in both front and back tires....you can change it ...try 40 in the front....the vibration could also be from the steering head bearings...OEM bearings are not good...but the dealer won't change them unless the front end falls off....lol..as far as the power goes, not sure what to suggest....Have the ECU flashed or add a fuel processor and new exhaust...a little costly, but it might be worth it...the bike does handle well, and is comfortable for long rides....let me know if yoy make any changes and if it is better, or if the "for sale" sign is going on it... Good Luck !

Chris@acp

I am afraid that I am a little sceptical about digital wrenches but they are a good indicator if there is an electrical issue - they don't help much with physical problems - trouble is tech's have a tendency to rely on the digital reading in preference to using their brain.
If the unit is lacking power there are three areas that can affect this. First is fuel, the second is electrical and the third is mechanical.
Mechanical power problems would normally come in the form of blowing blue smoke out the back, noisy top end, cam chain wear etc. - I would not be expecting this in a 2017 model machine.
Electrical problems could cause issues with performance where the tuning is a little off, not firing on all cylinders etc (could contribute to vibration) but I would have thought that the digital wrench would have picked this up.
Fuel problems certainly have a significant impact on the way that the unit runs. If this were an old bike (2nd hand) I would say take the fuel pump out and see if there is a lot of muck around the fuel filter (which is in the tank).

Considering the age of the machine I would not have expected this type of experience. At this stage of the game I am kind of thinking that the fuel may be a significant contributor to the problem. I had a situation similar to this when I was starting to get a lot of build up in the tank, I got a bad batch of fuel and this caused all sorts of issues.
I will see if I can describe my experience (it was some time ago now) so that you can see if it matches yours.

When the bike was idling it seemed to be behaving correctly.
When I attempted to accelerate it sounded as if the engine was going to flood and started to cough and splutter but then came good for a bit. This was more noticeable in the lower gears.
The vibration under these circumstances was quite extreme - I mean, with a large v-twin you have to expect vibration but you can tell good vibration against bad vibration (if you know what I mean)
When I got the bike up to the higher gears, the bike was struggling to get to 100kmph and the bike just felt like it was "wrong" and was extremely sluggish
Sometimes, when I backed off the throttle and worked through the gears, the bike would almost stall - to a point where you felt like you had to keep the throttle open for it to keep going.

I had the mechanic take the fuel pump out of the tank and he showed me what the problem was, the filter was clogged and full of rubbish from the bad petrol.
Now my case was pretty extreme and the soiling was quite significant (I had about 20,000kms on the dial). If you were to put this into your context, if you have had a bad batch of fuel and the filter is partially clogged your experiences may not be quite as severe as mine but could be a significant contributor to the problem. I would be looking at this before anything else. Of course, it could be the fuel pump itself - that could be faulty but I would be more inclined to think that the fuel that you have in the tank is causing this to occur. You only have two cylinders, if one is not working properly or is getting starved of fuel (because of a blockage) then this will most certainly give you "huge" issues.

Buttnaked

Buttnakedasked

I have a 2012 1700 voyager. My bike hesitates while ridding like it wants to cut off, but if I use the cruise control it rides fine. I got a code 18 yesterday and the whole time the error was flashing the bike rode without any hesitation but it was losing power. Any ideas?

Pixrider
Pixrider

Try cleaning or change new air filter. Secondly clean the throttle body. Should be able to give you a smoother ride.

Steve H
Steve H

Report Receipt Date: September 1, 2015
NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V550000
Component(s): Electrical system
Potential Number of Units Affected: 11,836
Manufacturer: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.

2009-2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager