Kia Rio

Kia Rio Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

UB, JB, DC, YB

53 questions from our users

nick
nickasked
Rio JB (2005-2011)

HI... I (my daughters car) have a Kia Rio 2007 auto. This morning whilst driving home the vehicle lost power,the instruments panel flashed and went crazy however the vehicle then regained power. This happened a couple of times .....any ideas please...Thanks in advance

J.A
J.A

Could be a faulty spark plug/ignition coil. Milne had a similar issue, where it would loose power, the engine light would flash, then after a few seconds, it would 'jerk' and regain power. Happened a few times, before the ignition coil gave out completely and had to get towed to a mechanic to get a replacement fitted.

James Pohahau
James Pohahauasked
Rio DC (2000-2005)

I had to get key and chip replacement for my kia rio 2003 hatchback I've tried taking my car for drive around but it'll cut out after 10-20 minutes how do I solve this problem?

Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels

This is a question for the experts. I suggest you refer this question to Kia, they should be able to investigate the issue for you.

Hilarys_Dad
Hilarys_Dadasked
Rio YB (2016-2021)

Hi, a question for owners of the current model Rio (2017-2018). Are you finding you are scraping the front lip under the bumper bar of this car when going over abrupt camber changes such as entering driveways when turning right into them, etc? This is a big problem with the current model Picanto so I am wondering if this issue carries over to the Rio, given the underside at the front looks very similar and of similar height in both cars. Thanks.

Anne.V
Anne.V

Hi. I pick up my kia rio on Friday so don't know. However if i can get up on driveways with my mini (as i slightly go on an angle) I've seen Commodores come out of shopping driveways and they scrape. Think its the way they do the roads these days.

salam
salam

hi there i have kia rio 2018 Australian Open Editon and yes i do have this problem and its bad when you enter thr drive way and also this car is pice of crap
the worse ever no power and on petrol its nightmare believe me and mag wheels is 17 inch i dont know why they did this 17 inch in car with 1.4 litre engine its crap car this is biggest mistake in my life buying this

Consul
Consul

I have the 2016 Rio and it also does this all the time - very annoying. I also agree with Salam - worst car I ever bought!! Today I was advised I need to replace the front brake rotors and pads at 46,000 kms. Its the first set of front pads that need changing AND THE ROTORS ALSO NEED TO BE REPLACED??? REALLY??? Do they make them out of chocolate????????

NewKiaRioPurchaser
NewKiaRioPurchaserasked
Rio UB (2011-2016)

Hello
I recently bought a 2017 Kia Rio S, and the Gear Indicator on the LCD display only works when I am in reverse. Other gears don't display. Do I need to do something to enable this, or is this just the was it works for the base level S model? Thanks :)

Dean
Dean

no idea..it could be a safety thing. But they should light at night when the headligjts are on at a guess.

rikketty
rikkettyasked
Rio

I have a problem reversing on cold mornings. My brakes don't seem to have any power assist until I driveforward and apply them a couple of times. Any help?

KG in Brisbane
KG in Brisbane

regardless of the make of car, if you have any issues with your brakes, you should immediately take the car to an authorised repair centre to have the problem rectified.

d brownasked
Rio

Has anyone had brake and rotor wearing prematurely with kia rios?

Stevenj32

Oh yes, 43000 kilometres, which they said was good for the brakes, what the hell, they have brake rotors and pads that wear out at the same time, our rear rotors and pads where worn out and metal on metal, the front had nothing left as well, don't, i repeat, don't get Kia to replace them, get aftermarket rotors and pads, Kia is outrages in its prices, up to four times what it costs anywhere else, this is how they make money, we sold our our Rio because of the poor service and expensive parts for a supposed cheap car, there was nothing wrong with ours, after I fixed all the problems Kia did not do at service, the service was useless, everything they touched fell apart or was not done, have convinced several people from buying the new Rio and buying another brand, the example is, three services, 30,000, 45,000, 60,000 kilometres cost $3500, one third the value of the car, sorry Kia lost me forever, hope this helps, if you live in Melbourne, Hallam Brake and Clutch will do the work cheap, that is who I was recommended to go to.

d brown

Thanks for relpy im in perth and cannot comprehend how kia have treated me my brakes were grinding from the day I got my new car the rotors have worn down a few ml they grind on stopping its awful I have never heard or come across this before and kia say it is normal it was documented at around 30000 km but they want me to pay for it they dont answer your calls they ignore you it is a factory defect not maintenance issue and they know it is i have never come across after sales service like this before I wish I had kept my nissan now KIA have lost me forever too ill never buy another one

Scott c
Scott c

I agree with the above.. I had assumed that it was normal, maybe hard pads, as after 3 services nothing was mentioned.. Anyway when I took my car in for the 60000km service I mentioned that they had been grinding since new.. They told me that I still had 70% wear left on my pads, but had a lip on my rotors & they will need to be replaced.. I asked them if it was covered under warranty, as it had been happening since new & must be a fault. After calling them for 3 days trying to get an answer, with no replies, I was finally told that it's normal, as Kia has put light rotors in to save on fuel costs.Absolute rubbish, I can't understand how rotors could wear so quickly.

Narrel muller
Narrel mullerasked
Rio JB (2005-2011)

Just bought 2008 kia rio hatch 2 days ago .it's blowing white blue smoke upon starting engine of a morning when cold .it has used coolant in 2 days .yesterday I was driving along and smoke came out of exhaust then it made a noise under bonnet and puff of smoke ????? I bought it off a mechanic who assured me there was nothing wrong with it .ever since I got the car the temperature light has always shown up red shouldn't it be blue ?

Tarzan
Tarzan

Hi Narrel

Sorry to hear about your car problems. Definitely go back to the mechanic you bought it off. It sounds though, he probably hasn't told you the truth as it is highly unlikely it has all happened since you bought it in only 2 days. More than likely he had a car he knew had problems and he needed to off load it quickly. I once bought a car off a mechanic I trusted and it was the biggest mistake I had ever made because I didn't get it checked independently. I had to spend 1000s rebuilding the motor.

If the car has a 3 month warranty you may be covered but if it was a private purchase you may have no come back on the mechanic as it is up to the buyer to fully check a car when buying it. When someone sells a car privately it's often because it has a number of expensive repairs that need doing.

If you have no response from the mechanic it would be best to go to the nearest Kia dealer who have specialist mechanics who can see what exactly it is going on.

Regarding the temperature light the 2010 model we have only shows when there is a warning. We have never had it come on so can't comment on the colour it should be.

What you describe above sounds a lot like a problem I had in the 1980s with a Holden Camira. It turned out the head gasket had blown and back then in 1988 a head gasket cost $1500 to repair. The white smoke sounds a lot like steam as the water from your radiator 'goes into your engine via the cracked head gasket, which in turn drains your radiator. That's only what it sounds like and I could be wrong so a professional mechanic will be able to help.

Sorry to hear you have gone through this. Buying a car is never and easy decision as you always hope you haven't bought a lemon.

Ripper
Ripperasked
Rio JB (2005-2011)

Hey I am need to know where the ECU is on a Kia Rio 2007 model 1.6L?

Stevenj32

Sorry mine is a 2012 model.

nancybb1
nancybb1asked
Rio

how to remove 2001 kia kio manual wagon 1,5 alternator?

sandman

Not sure can't be too hard remove belt and undo the wires and bolts

Haberfield Guy.
Haberfield Guy.

If you don't know why answer?

DesW
DesWasked
Rio JB (2005-2011)

Hello. Yesterday the speedometer on my 2006 Kia Rio hatchback stopped working. No prior warnings. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any solutions?

Stevenj32

No this problem has not happened to me, though all new cars speedos are electronic speed sensitive, a dealer should be able to diagnose the problem, hope this helps.

sandman

Hi no but it could be the speedo cable

Rikko
Rikkoasked
Rio JB (2005-2011)

Hi, I have a 2010 Rio Hatch (1.6L JB), which I've had since new. Today, out of the blue, an instrument warning light I hadn't seen before has started flickering yellow (and increasing). However, the purpose of this light, which is a yellow "car symbol" is not shown in the owner's manual at all? Kia DO show this symbol in the picture of 2 of their instrument cluster examples - "Gasoline Types C and Type D", but without any explanation elsewhere. It is on the RHS, between the (similar shaped) immobiliser warning light which has a key symbol in the middle of it, and the approximate end location (220kmh) of the speedo. It definitely flickers more when going over bumps, etc. so I am wondering if it is simply a loose connection, but seems odd if not worrying, that there is no explanation as to its purpose? Any thoughts please?

Stevenj32

Hello, usually the light in the shape of a car is a warning that something is wrong, but that it flickers does sound like a loose wire or bulb, Kia's are known for poor build quality of their plastics, a quick trip to your dealership and a plug into there computer should tell them if anything is wrong, on some cars the whole dash lights up,{ Christmas tree } and the computer shuts down, though I don't believe it is that, it may also be a warning that your service is due, many factors, Kia not to giving with information regarding problems, though the 2010 models had very little in the way of problems, have you checked all the fluids, oil, water, brake fluid, etc?, hope this helps.

sandman

The light could be on for 2 reasons like you said a loose connection or a fault. Take the car to a mechanic, he can connect it to a computer and it should tell him what it is

paul
paulasked
Rio

Hi! I have a 2010 model sli kia certo 109.000 on clock now and again it will blow a heap of smoke and loss power but now it always missing and when I start her up in the morning, she blows smoke like you would not believe and it uses more oil than fuel. I've taken it to kia but they give me a bill every time but no fix. Any help please! I've only owned this for about 12 months now.

sandman

Hi Paul blowing a lot of smoke, it sounds like the rings in the engine are worn. The misfire could be the spark plugs fouling from all the burnt oil. Have you asked your local mechanic?

Shane
Shaneasked
Rio JB (2005-2011)

My daughter recently purchased a Rio JB 2010 model petrol engine. It now has only 76 000ks on it and its using oil and blowing smoke on starting car quite alot and particularly after it rests overnight. Has anyone else had problems with their cars? I'm suspicious that I need to rip the head off and do valve guide seals, at least with head off i get to replace headgasket.

David C

Most definitely valves one or two have gone best option is do an engine swap over the old engine for a new rebuilt, normally costs $1000 that's in Queensland not sure anywhere else, not sure how long you have had the car less than three months from a dealer their responsibility if longer your cost

Shanaeasked
Rio JB (2005-2011)

I have a 2008 Kia Rio with just under 120,000 clocked on it. I was recently stopped at a red light and the check engine light came on and the car started shaking heavily and lost power. When looking at the engine it looked like a bolt was loose and the engine was shaking heavily (had belts replaced and major service 2 weeks before hand) went to the mechanic who said a piston had stopped firing and that was the problem. Has anyone experienced this? or know how long the pistons should last in these cars? When I looked at the engine after replacement of "piston" there was no shaking and looked like it was all bolted down properly!!

Stevenj32

Are you sure it was not a loose or broken engine mount?, an engine will run rough if it's engine mount is not secure, a piston can break, ruin rings, crack, it's not unheard of, in any manufacturer, perhaps you should have taken it to Kia, not sure if you have it serviced there, or ask the mechanic to show you what was replaced, if it was a piston with new rings, there should be more compression in that cylinder.

Shanae

I believe it could have been a loose engine mount, but the mechanic insisted it was a piston, even pulled out the part and showed me but me being a 23 year old girl I wasn't confident in what the issue actually was. I guess I just wanted to know if its possible for the piston to misfire and cause the car to loose power (couldn't get over 50ks) and shake heavily and the engin light to be on?

Glen Pretzel
Glen Pretzel

A piston not firing does shake the car engine badly as described, a loose or broken engine mount wont shake it significantly because the weight of the engine sits it relatively still, particuarly in a small engine like this. The thing is, there are a few most likely things that will cause a single piston not to fire in your Kia: A spark plug, spark plug wiring, ignition coil (plugs onto the spark plug) and a blocked or broken fuel injector. The check engine light comes on for all of these. A piston change is a major job where as all of these are easy replacements, my guess is it wouldve been one of these things.

eve
eveasked
Rio DC (2000-2005)

Have trouble with getting car in first and second gear others are fine.

Kat350

Take to mechanic and have the clutch and gearbox checked out.

Stevenj32

Our Rio is a 2012 and it's an automatic, but Kia's do have a reputation for weak manual gearboxes, even the new ones have problems with the gearbox, advise is take it to a gearbox specialist, hope it does not cost you to much.

Dougiep93
Dougiep93asked
Rio JB (2005-2011)

I have recently purchased a 2007 Kia Rio LX. I have had no major issues with the car since i got it in May.
It has now done 120,000kms and this last week has been hell.
About a week ago, the car was idling and then the engine cut out and the car wouldnt start for about half an hour.
The same thing has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 days. Called RAA out and the can't find an issue. Checked the computer and it came back with no errors.
Has anyone else experienced this with their car?

Stevenj32

Hello, no I have not had that problem, though our car is a 2012 model, though we had hard starting for a long time until it was serviced and the spark plugs were replaced with a different heat range, though it does sound like a computer glitch, Kia is notorious for electrical problems which arise from out of the blue, try and find a good dealership who hopefully can correct the problem, good luck.

Kat350

Most probably fuel/electrical. Go to a Kia dealership who have the equipment to check Kias. If you go to your local mechanic you are going to be buying different parts to diagnose the problem.

Robin L
Robin L

My son has a 2008 Rio and we are experiencing the same problem and the same results. Been to a Kia dealership and they cannot find a fault on their computers. Today the car died while driving but started 30 minutes later. From what I have read it appears to be a worldwide problem. Going back to dealer next week for round 2.

djrossasked
Rio JB (2005-2011)

2005 1.6l JB. I am using 10-30W Castrol Fully Synthetic. What is the oil change interval?

Stevenj32

Hello, I change my oil every 8000kms, don't believe in 15,000kms for a oil change, by then the oil is black and thick, even though the oil may still protect the internals it is still breaking down, synthetic oil just protects that much better.

djross

Thanks for the answer Steven, I am in Australia and was wondering are you using the same weight oil (10-30W)?

Stevenj32

Hello djross, I use 5w30 synthetic, the dealership uses a Nissan brand, excellent oil, at service, I then use Nulon for the Teflon additive, hope this helps.

Bill
Billasked
Rio UB (2011-2016)

Hi
New Rio parked on hill, handbrake on 3 clicks, felt tight/solid. Emptied stuff from boot and backseat into house. Returned and locks car.
Next morning car at bottom of hill !!!!
Is there a problem with the handbrake, anyone else had this experience.?

Stevenj32

The handbrake on the Rio is not to powerful, ours is an automatic, but I apply the handbrake on our driveway and still it does not hold well, brakes checked and are fine, I suppose it's the quality of the vehicle, ask your dealer to check out the handbrake and leave it in gear as well.

David C

Yes had a previous experience left Kia Rio on a small driveway but steep decent put hand brake on and when I came out in the morning it had rolled down and hit brick wall, this happened 26/8/15 at around 6-7 pm left car with hand brake on and came out at 6am 27/8/15 to find it had rolled 15-25 feet and hit brick wall damage was considerable .

Momma
Momma

I have a Kia Rio manual brand new last October, i parked on a slight incline at 6pm, had a knock on the door at 7.30pm from a police officer who told me that my car had rolled down the hill and had grazed a car on the other side of the road. Took it to the dealership who tested the handbrake and said there was no problem. Called customer service as my car was slightly damaged to see if they would cover the cost of the repairs......no chance! As i had not left it in gear I apparently failed to park it correctly as suggested in the operating manual. Not a happy customer!

Wendy Knott
Wendy Knottasked
Rio

I have bought a Kia Rio in the last couple of months. Has anyone had a problem with their Rios starting? It is a 2009 model

David C

my 1st Rio 2005 and current is 2015 and I have had no problems at all in 15 years

Callander
Callanderasked
Rio JB (2005-2011)

Can we upgrade the computer of kia rio 2007?

Stevenj32

There are quite a few aftermarket chip sellers on the market, the ones that are cheap and promise the world do nothing, performance chipping involves resetting all the systems on the car, cars are set at 87% only for engine life, a good system such as Wolf, sets every aspect of the engine and transmisson, though a performance exhaust, air cleaner system, injectors, coil packs, etc, are also needed, this is not cheap, do a little research online and see how much more performance people have attained, I had our 2012 Rio serviced and by using synthetic oil 5W30, hotter spark plugs, tweaking the setting a little the dealership had achieved much better economy and about 1 kilowat increase in engine power
So please don't be fooled by these $60 gimmicks, hope this helps.

Cybermick
Cybermick

Kia dealer have latest computer updates Had my JB 2007 done.Re engine not starting when hot see

Kia Rio