Kia Rio

• Features

karizma

karizmasydney

Wont buy Kia again.

Kias seem like an ok car but unfortunately they do not last. Once youve done about 100,000km everything starts to go wrong. Air con and windows are first to go then you're up for couple of grand repairs at least every 6 months. Better off getting a japanese car. They last a bit longer.

BadgeNA
Date PurchasedJan 2006
Sayyed

SayyedGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Very good car

I am driving my kia 2009 from last 2 n half years as a Uber 6 days a week 12 hours a day with no problem at all just oil change break pads and tyres. Good on fuel. One tank gives me 500 kms. For engine using penrite 5w 40 . And that’s it

BadgeLS
Date PurchasedApr 2016
AustraReviews

AustraReviewsGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Good first car

I bought a second hand Kia Rio JB Sedan from a private seller when I was a university student and kept it for about 4 years, mainly for commuting to and from work. It is a good car to buy if it's your first car as it's economical to run and has enough space for adults at the back and a large enough boot.

The downsides of this particular car was that the paint started to wear out even though it was garaged every night and the seats are not that comfortable for long drives. Eventually, I upgraded to a bigger, better car.

BadgeJB
Date PurchasedAug 2013

Paola

PaolaMelbourne

Love This Hatchback Car

The most compact and reliable car I ever had. I got brand new my car from the dealership and since then I haven't had any issue. Just minor changes as any other car. I used my car on a daily bases. Very economic in petrol, wear works perfectly. Space and comfort is great. I have used many time to make my move outs and surprise everything fits (except the mattress and bed frame) Highly recommended model and brand!

Date PurchasedDec 2012

Date PurchasedJan 2013
Linda

LindaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great to drive

Our Kia Rio is a great sized car for us. We are able to use it as and when we like, small enough to park but large enough to take friends or family with us. Cheap to run and we love being able to play our music via the radio as well as having the ability of Bluetooth.

BadgeS
Date PurchasedNov 2016
Julie

JulieMelbourne

Just Perfect

Great and economic car. It served me when i was single and after having family. Never stopped just run smooth. Even its ideal for long trips never let u down. Its a daily car that u can trust driving it. I do a regular service and never had any problems that cost u alot of money. Just regular service

Rose

RoseGeelong

Great little Car

The Kia Rio is a great little car! I use my to drive to and from work and run errands around town, it’s such a smooth drive and really enjoyable to drive. I use my car every day and only have to fill my tank fortnightly! If you’re looking for a cheap car to fill this is the car for you. Only needs servicing every 10,000ks and never have I experienced any issues

Date PurchasedJuly 2018
Tina

TinaSydney

so far so good

BadgeEX-L
Date PurchasedApr 2017

Ruth 70

Ruth 70Perth

Great fuel sufficiently, nice to drive.

Purchased this to replace i20 which Was written off in hit and run. Great to drive, park and teach my teenagers to drive in. Use it to go to work every day and for any travel requiring 5 or less passengers. Only have to fill up once and week even with all that travel. Service every 6 months or when necessary. No problems at all with this vehicle.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Lauren B

Lauren BSunshine Coast

This is my pride and joy!

My little grey Kia Rio is my absolute world. Being my first car, it’s driven a lot. Everywhere I go I get compliments on how nice my car looks. Driving my car is a dream, it’s smooth on all roads and road noise is minimal. I love the heaviness of the car, the steering wheel, gears, closing the doors etc. it feels solid - I feel like I’m in a safe and really high quality car.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Stephen

StephenSouth East Queensland, QLD

A fantastic car at a great price - no hesitation to recommend

Purchased in May 2014 at Kia Dealers for $17,400.00.

Cicco70

Cicco70Perth, WA

Just Amazing Little Car

I have owned this car since new April 2012 1.4l with now 110000Km ODO
6 speed manual and still in perfect showroom conditions
Serviced as per manual every 15000km by my own mechanic ( never been to my local KIA dealer)

Never had any issues, fuel consumption is still unbelievable , still drives and feels like a new car, no rattles or strange noises yet
The ONLY 2 cons for me
1) I shouldn't gone for the 1.6 litre motor for the extra horse power with car loaded with the 4 of us and the AC on need to squeeze it to the metal and even then I am impressed what it can still achieve
2) the sound system is RUBBISH
Apart this I would buy another with no doubt in my mind

BadgeUB 12
Date PurchasedApr 2012
Androo

AndrooMelbourne

RIO SLS Cute and grows on you.

BadgeSLS
Date PurchasedJan 2013
CHW

CHWLysterfield

Super easy to drive.

I bought a manual SLi 2013 model brand new and have found it very easy to drive, a full tank of fuel is around $45, handles well and is generally a very reliable car.
I have noticed my gas in the boot hydraulics wore out very quickly and tires on my model are quite expensive to buy (low profile) but other than that, very good little car.

BadgeSLi

Steve in Beeliar

Steve in BeeliarPerth, WA

Awesome little beast

Bought this as a first car for my wife to learn to drive. Went for a 2015 auto 5 door so there will be room for the kids and all their gear. First thing I will change is to upgrade the speakers and add an amplifier to the sound system. Otherwise, it is a punchy little car... however I think cruise control should be a standard feature on all automatics now

BadgeS
Date PurchasedJuly 2018
Digsy

Digsy

Great little car

Very happy with the car. We bought this as a first car for our daughter, read a few reviews about it and went ahead and bought it second hand with 145000 kms on it. Very smooth to drive, but was a little noisey. We discovered the seals around the rear windows was perished, we replaced them which made a huge difference. Nice and smooth in the gear box, fuel economy is great.

Date PurchasedJune 2018
Berber

BerberSydney

A great little beast

I thought such a small car will not get me around comfortably, but I was surprised that when you are in it, it is a beautiful and spacious little car. I carry 4 large people and myself and go up the coogee to Bondi hill with no issues.
Given the cheap price also, I am happy

Date PurchasedFeb 2013
pat6769

pat6769broughton village

reliable kia

I have owned two kia rios. They are the same running gear as the Hyundai i20. Hyundai is Kia's parent company. The Kia is very reliable and has never let me down. Just keep the servicing up to maintain the 7 year warranty with free roadside assist. I would not hesitate to buy another Kia.

BadgeSE
Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Review collected in partnership with Kia

Best little car

BadgeSLi

Not Happy Camperasked

Rio

Hi my daughter purchased a new Kia Rio in October 2020 and the engine is Pinging and they can't seem to fix it. She is using the correct 91 fuel and not E10. We've been told by customer service that there are other RIO's doing it as well and they cant explain why, it just seems to be a fault. They just said to use 95 until they find a fix but this is against the manufacturers recommendations. Were worried about the long term engine damage that is being caused. Anyone else got the same problem?

Peter S

Pinging is most likely due to crappy fuel. Try using 91 instead of E10. The other option is that there is a sensor that is giving bad fuel/air ratios back to the computer "or" the computer has an issue.

Not Happy Camper

She has always used 91 and never used the crapy E10. They have tried 4 times now to fix it doing engine tests and fuel samples and don't seem to be able to. The customer service department let slip that there a number of other Rio's in the same model doing it as well and they cant explain why? They suggested we run it on 95 or 98 which is against the manufacturers recommendations until they geta fix?

Peter S

I'm getting like 10.5L per 100km which is not great. My Ford Escape uses 10L per 100km and it has twice the horsepower (turbo) and is 500kg heavier....if you only have had it for a short time you could try another dealer and then go to the ACCC.

Robyn

Robynasked

Rio

I have a problem when braking the car creaks it only happens after the car warms up. Coukd it be worn rotors?

Mikeyg

Mikeygasked

YB S Automatic (2016-2021)

Has anyone had dash vibration noise, I have two Kia Rios 2016 & 2019 models both have dash vibrations.

Kia Rio

Compare all 10 Kia Rio
CategoryCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $23,090$16,990$19,090$17,790
Engine3 Cylinder 1.0L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L
Max Power88kW @ 6300rpm74kW @ 6000rpm74kW @ 6000rpm74kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque172Nm @ 1500-4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth Korea
Manufacturer Warranty7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)
Release dateJan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016