Kia Rio

• Boot Size
  • Comfort
  • Features

Love my just right car

I love that I have 4 cylinder especially since I have heavy foot and get speeding tickets. It drives smooth and quite. I have a basic one the one with the window u have to manually hold on and roll up or down lol but still love her. Will get a kia optima as soon as I pay her half off

BodySedan
Date PurchasedApr 2018
George Kow

George KowGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Love my little Kia Rio

After 11 years I finally got to buy a new car. Kia Rio came highly recommended by friend and it didn’t disappoint. The design is focused on making driving easy, the USB outlet is located at the front where I can easily reach it. The drive and handling is good and quiet. The only thing I don’t like is the fuel economy.

Engine Size1.5L
Date PurchasedApr 2015
Zoe Woodbury

Zoe WoodburyCaboolture

My little Broom Broom

This car has done me so well, for so long. I purchased my car in 2012 and it is over 6 years old now and serving me well. My car is black, the only thing I would have done differently, is get it in a different colour. Black is harder to maintain the cleanliness.

BadgeSi
Date PurchasedJan 2012

Jack Daniels

Jack DanielsMelbourne

Good car for a first time driver

BadgeAO edition
Date PurchasedJan 2018
ken

kenPerth, WA

Average little car

Compact car suited to maximum of two adults only, good on fuel not bad to drive, throw away car in terms of major maintance due to the work involved removing gearbox's etc.
No fill holes or level holes on manual transmissions , gearbox snouts wear easily, front wheel bearings don't last terribly long, insufficient lubrication on drive line parts from the factory so they seize or wear prematurely,
OK car if you keep them only along as the factory warranty lasts.

Date PurchasedApr 2008

M. Khaled

M. KhaledPerth

Good value

Overall Good performance.
Good value for money with a low maintenance cost.
Reliable car, I never had an issue with it (done 160,000 so far) , just doing the regular maintenance as per log book.
Fuel efficient and economic.
Good interior design, but it has a lot of cheap plastic in the dash board.

BadgeSport
Date PurchasedJune 2015
jassin

jassinqld, 4300

Real World Review of the New 2017 Kia Rio Manual

Date PurchasedAug 2017
AmieJK

AmieJKSouth Australia

The best small car around

While my heart said Ford Focus, my head said Kia Rio, and my head won - thank goodness!

With an unbeatable 7 year transferable warranty, this car has the body of a small car, but an engine of one much larger. It has power, great ride stability and is extreme economical to run. It's spacious and easily seats 4 to 5 people, with a roomy boot as well.

So glad I chose this for my new small car, I love it.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Abbz

AbbzSouth Australia

Great car!

Great size car, plentiful boot room. Amble room for usbs to connect phones, gps' and other necessary items. The only thing that is a small issue is when you have a car seat fitted you can't remove the boot liner to either access the spare tyre or clean the liner. The car also has ISO-fix (easier way to fit car seats if they are isofix capable). $40 fills the fuel tank!

BodySedan

Date PurchasedJune 2017
Deanne Eryn

Deanne ErynSouthport

LOVE MY LITTLE RIO

I have had mine for just about 2 years and never had a fault with it!!! I love the look of it and it has so much room, i have had the car full of all my friends and they were all still comfortable. Its got a decent kick to it considering its such a small car, and its so cheap to fill up about $40 a week!! The whole car just feels great to drive, is so comfortable and also comes with all the tech gadgets a new car needs

BadgeSLS
Engine Size1.6L
Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Amber P

Amber PMelbourne

Best car I’ve purchased

Drive performance is excellent, so efficient with petrol. Drives extremely smooth and no hassles getting from A to B.
Car is so cute and sporty, and I would highly recommend it for a first car or even if you like a small car.
Looks good, and the interior tops it.

Badgen/a
Date PurchasedSept 2017
peterv52

peterv52Sydney, NSW

Getting expensive to maintain.

I bought mine new in 2012 and have been generally happy with it. However at the four year mark and only 26,000km the front discs and pads were shot and needed replacing. Rear pads were also shot. Not happy but the dealer did offer a free service next time which they honoured. It's in for service today and the front tyres are in need of replacement at 32,000km. The car is used 99% of the time going to the shops etc and the average speed around here is 50 or 60 so very little high speed driving. The tyres are not Kias'fault but the rubbish brake material is. Disappointing in what has been a great little car in other respects.

Date PurchasedOct 2012
Stephanie

Stephanie

Better than I thought

It is not my car but I got it from my friend so I drove this car for couple of month. It does not look big the internal space is much more big than I was expection. The doors seal very well, noise can be largely reduce. When driving, it is stable and easy to park.

Date PurchasedJan 2009

Ann

Ann

Outstanding Buy

This is a great car. I travel to Melbourne once a month to see my elderly Mother from Adelaide, a eight hour trip and this small car eats up the miles easily with plenty of comfort. I used to drive a Commodore there and when I traded down to my city smaller vehicle thought how will I manage the above but with the hatch laying down flat and loaded up I have been remarkably surprised at economy, comfort and ease at which this car has performed. And magnificent around the city.

Date PurchasedJuly 2016
G.Lo

G.LoSouth East Queensland, QLD

My third new Kia Rio in a row

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Gary M

Gary MRaglan

Great second car.

We brought this car because we needed an economical run about. It has proved to be exactly that never had a problem with it. Performance is great, handles well, far better than expected. When you are inside there is plenty of legroom & Boot space. I would have to say I would have no problems buying another one.

BadgeEX
Date PurchasedMay 2014
Nicola

NicolaAU

love it

The 2017 kia rio is great. Love the reverse camera apple car play. 7 year warranty is the best. This is my 4th kia and won't be the last. The car is very economical. Serving is affordable. Drives well although obviously not super powerful. Drives much better than the hyundai accent I have for work

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Xiaochen

XiaochenMelbourne

Second hand Rio

we name our car as Cherry from the color. This does not have the enough storage space but it is much for two people the normal daily time. It is the automatic car and the power of the car is limited. The car has been served once from we bought it. Others are looks good.

Engine Size1.6L
Date PurchasedOct 2016

Not Happy Camperasked

Rio

Hi my daughter purchased a new Kia Rio in October 2020 and the engine is Pinging and they can't seem to fix it. She is using the correct 91 fuel and not E10. We've been told by customer service that there are other RIO's doing it as well and they cant explain why, it just seems to be a fault. They just said to use 95 until they find a fix but this is against the manufacturers recommendations. Were worried about the long term engine damage that is being caused. Anyone else got the same problem?

Peter S

Pinging is most likely due to crappy fuel. Try using 91 instead of E10. The other option is that there is a sensor that is giving bad fuel/air ratios back to the computer "or" the computer has an issue.

Not Happy Camper

She has always used 91 and never used the crapy E10. They have tried 4 times now to fix it doing engine tests and fuel samples and don't seem to be able to. The customer service department let slip that there a number of other Rio's in the same model doing it as well and they cant explain why? They suggested we run it on 95 or 98 which is against the manufacturers recommendations until they geta fix?

Peter S

I'm getting like 10.5L per 100km which is not great. My Ford Escape uses 10L per 100km and it has twice the horsepower (turbo) and is 500kg heavier....if you only have had it for a short time you could try another dealer and then go to the ACCC.

Robyn

Robynasked

Rio

I have a problem when braking the car creaks it only happens after the car warms up. Coukd it be worn rotors?

Mikeyg

Mikeygasked

YB S Automatic (2016-2021)

Has anyone had dash vibration noise, I have two Kia Rios 2016 & 2019 models both have dash vibrations.

Kia Rio

Compare all 10 Kia Rio
CategoryCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $23,090$16,990$19,090$17,790
Engine3 Cylinder 1.0L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L
Max Power88kW @ 6300rpm74kW @ 6000rpm74kW @ 6000rpm74kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque172Nm @ 1500-4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth Korea
Manufacturer Warranty7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)
Release dateJan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016