UB, JB, DC, YB

• Boot Size
  • Comfort
  • Features

Engine Pinging on a brand New 2020 car

Bought a new KIA Rio bought in September 2020 and the engine is pinging. I have read how others have the same problem and KIA won't or can't do anything about it, so it could be a factory problem. Please reach out we need to do something!

Purchased in September 2020 for $21,990.00.

CC RIDER

CC RIDERSydney, NSW

Don’t buy this car

The car was running fine for the first 2 months. This was purchased new in October 2020. The engine overheats when air con is on. Apple car play always cuts out. It’s been towed to Kia twice in a month. Now the car over revs on take off before it hits its gear and also will not reverse. Got towed to Kia again, been there for 3 days without resolution so far. I will never buy a Kia again. As a contractor I am losing income everyday I’m not on the road and this will eventually cost me more than what the car is worth. I will be exercising my rights for a full refund or a brand new car. Unacceptable for a new vehicle.

Purchased in October 2020.

Underpowered piece of crap

Got it as a loan car when my car is due for a new airbag. The automatic one is a piece of crap you need to use manual mode if you want better pickup on hill. The fuel consumption is terrible as well. I would say at least Toyota Echo and Daihatsu Sirion are better than that.

Cars

Find out how Kia Rio compares to other Cars

Worst Car ever!

in 4 years and just 35000km was replaced steering rack, steering Coolum, steering motor, steering wheel, battery, suspension for the trunk, dash board was loose 3 times, ODO replaced.
Just to note I bought the SI so a very expensive version. Please do not Buy Kia!

Purchased in November 2015.

SharonF

SharonFwagga wagga

2 failed coils in less than 13 months

2 failed coils in less than 13 months this car has always been serviced and has only done 34,000 klm.

DanitaReck

DanitaReckAU

Worst car ever! And I'm not joking!!!!

We bought our Rio 3 years ago (June 2010) with 70,000kms on the clock. Seemed fine for about 3 months then issues started, one after another, in the 3 years we've had it (and only 25,000 kms added) we've spent close to $3500 in repairs! We've had to replace so many parts it's hard to keep up. Very unreliable and I wouldn't recommend anyone (not even my worst enemy) to purchase this car! And upon my research seems a lot of people have an awful time repairing the darn thing. So do yourself a favour and don't even consider buying one. We've had enough and are trading it in for a Honda!

Unreliable! Worst car ever built! Costly to repair the dozen or so problems every year!

Engine Size1.5

monaromonaroMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Would I buy another Kia vehicle? No!

Engine Size1.6 litre
Revealing

The topic here is about the 2012 Model SlS and the like and not an older outdated version. Cars do improve you know? And at this stage at 2012 the Rio Reborn is well in and above even the likes of VW

monaromonaro

Rainer, this section of the site is for "2006-2013 Kia Rio". Therefore, the JB model Rio from 2006 fits under this heading. Where does it state this topic is just for the 2012 Model SIS?

Revealing

So it is! I stand corrected. It is rather unusual to show a current model and expand it back to old Bombs? Why anyone would want to expand to include old models is strange

itaricebubble

itaricebubbleQLD , 4220

debra06
debra06

why cry over it after 9 years . im sure if it was so bad you'd not have kept it for a whole nine years

dalanerPerth, WA

Terrible

Agree - it's a heap of junk.
This car was bought in December 2005.
I've just had it serviced (twice a year) and told that I need 4 new tyres!!
I only had two new front tyres two years ago!!!
I will never buy this make again.
Drives smoothly, pretty good on petrol.
I'm not a hoon driver yet something makes the tyres wear out VERY quickly. Reverse gear hard to get.

ella48
ella48

wheel alignment/tyre pressure etc are factors to blame for this, hardly believe it would be the cars fault

dalaner

As I said, serviced twice a year, tyre pressure ok and wheel alignment looked after.

Cars

Find out how Kia Rio compares to other Cars

supercharged

supercharged

Terrible

Kia Rio Blown engine happen on aussie day coming back from coast lost power no indicator lights, we pulled over, car cut out, checked engine there was no oil sat on the road for 5 hours couldn’t get a tow truck.

National Capital motors Canberra charged us $200 to tell us the engine is blow kia said no will not fix it (just out of warranty) as when you were ment to get a 60000 service you got it done at 62000 that was the only reason they could come up with. I said if they fix it we will buy a brand new Kia Rondo $28000 they said no, ill never buy kia again lost my trust. :(
Cheap to run and to buy

BodySedan

Not Happy Camperasked

Rio

Hi my daughter purchased a new Kia Rio in October 2020 and the engine is Pinging and they can't seem to fix it. She is using the correct 91 fuel and not E10. We've been told by customer service that there are other RIO's doing it as well and they cant explain why, it just seems to be a fault. They just said to use 95 until they find a fix but this is against the manufacturers recommendations. Were worried about the long term engine damage that is being caused. Anyone else got the same problem?

Peter S

Pinging is most likely due to crappy fuel. Try using 91 instead of E10. The other option is that there is a sensor that is giving bad fuel/air ratios back to the computer "or" the computer has an issue.

Not Happy Camper

She has always used 91 and never used the crapy E10. They have tried 4 times now to fix it doing engine tests and fuel samples and don't seem to be able to. The customer service department let slip that there a number of other Rio's in the same model doing it as well and they cant explain why? They suggested we run it on 95 or 98 which is against the manufacturers recommendations until they geta fix?

Peter S

I'm getting like 10.5L per 100km which is not great. My Ford Escape uses 10L per 100km and it has twice the horsepower (turbo) and is 500kg heavier....if you only have had it for a short time you could try another dealer and then go to the ACCC.

Robyn

Robynasked

Rio

I have a problem when braking the car creaks it only happens after the car warms up. Coukd it be worn rotors?

Mikeyg

Mikeygasked

YB S Automatic (2016-2021)

Has anyone had dash vibration noise, I have two Kia Rios 2016 & 2019 models both have dash vibrations.

Compare all 10 Kia Rio
CategoryCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $23,090$16,990$19,090$17,790
Engine3 Cylinder 1.0L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L
Max Power88kW @ 6300rpm74kW @ 6000rpm74kW @ 6000rpm74kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque172Nm @ 1500-4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth Korea
Manufacturer Warranty7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)
Release dateJan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016