UB, JB, DC, YB

• Features
KT lee

KT lee

Compact cute car!

I bought this as my first new car. It drives well and I can park it in the tightest spots! The only issue is that the windscreen wipers don’t cover the whole screen!

Miss Honest

Miss Honest

Hire car - sad when my car was repaired and I had to return it!

Wasn't expecting much when I picked up the Rio as a hire car while mine was being repaired. Very pleasantly surprised. The turning circle was impressive, it was quick off the mark and was quite gutsy for such a small engine. Good manual gearbox. Interior was simple but functional, decent air con and radio, reasonable storage space and legroom. Excellent fuel economy. If I was ever going to buy a small car again, it would be a Rio.

Purchased in November 2018.

Sarah

Sarah

Amazing little car

Bought my Kia brand new and the features that I got with the car make it one of the most affordable small cars on the market with the most features. Only 4 speed with auto so can get a little slow at times, but overall a smooth and quiet drive with lots of comfort

Purchased in March 2019 at valley motor group.

Sayyed

SayyedGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Very good car

I am driving my kia 2009 from last 2 n half years as a Uber 6 days a week 12 hours a day with no problem at all just oil change break pads and tyres. Good on fuel. One tank gives me 500 kms. For engine using penrite 5w 40 . And that’s it

BadgeLS
Date PurchasedApr 2016
Paola

PaolaMelbourne

Love This Hatchback Car

The most compact and reliable car I ever had. I got brand new my car from the dealership and since then I haven't had any issue. Just minor changes as any other car. I used my car on a daily bases. Very economic in petrol, wear works perfectly. Space and comfort is great. I have used many time to make my move outs and surprise everything fits (except the mattress and bed frame) Highly recommended model and brand!

Date PurchasedDec 2012
Linda

LindaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great to drive

Our Kia Rio is a great sized car for us. We are able to use it as and when we like, small enough to park but large enough to take friends or family with us. Cheap to run and we love being able to play our music via the radio as well as having the ability of Bluetooth.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Julie

JulieMelbourne

Just Perfect

Great and economic car. It served me when i was single and after having family. Never stopped just run smooth. Even its ideal for long trips never let u down. Its a daily car that u can trust driving it. I do a regular service and never had any problems that cost u alot of money. Just regular service

BadgeLX
Date PurchasedMar 2013
Rose

RoseGeelong

Great little Car

The Kia Rio is a great little car! I use my to drive to and from work and run errands around town, it’s such a smooth drive and really enjoyable to drive. I use my car every day and only have to fill my tank fortnightly! If you’re looking for a cheap car to fill this is the car for you. Only needs servicing every 10,000ks and never have I experienced any issues

Date PurchasedJuly 2018
Lauren B

Lauren BSunshine Coast

This is my pride and joy!

My little grey Kia Rio is my absolute world. Being my first car, it’s driven a lot. Everywhere I go I get compliments on how nice my car looks. Driving my car is a dream, it’s smooth on all roads and road noise is minimal. I love the heaviness of the car, the steering wheel, gears, closing the doors etc. it feels solid - I feel like I’m in a safe and really high quality car.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Stephen

StephenSouth East Queensland, QLD

A fantastic car at a great price - no hesitation to recommend

Purchased in May 2014 at Kia Dealers for $17,400.00.

Cicco70

Cicco70Perth, WA

Just Amazing Little Car

I have owned this car since new April 2012 1.4l with now 110000Km ODO
6 speed manual and still in perfect showroom conditions
Serviced as per manual every 15000km by my own mechanic ( never been to my local KIA dealer)

Never had any issues, fuel consumption is still unbelievable , still drives and feels like a new car, no rattles or strange noises yet
The ONLY 2 cons for me
1) I shouldn't gone for the 1.6 litre motor for the extra horse power with car loaded with the 4 of us and the AC on need to squeeze it to the metal and even then I am impressed what it can still achieve
2) the sound system is RUBBISH
Apart this I would buy another with no doubt in my mind

BadgeUB 12
Date PurchasedApr 2012
Androo

AndrooMelbourne

RIO SLS Cute and grows on you.

BadgeSLS
Engine Size1.6L
Date PurchasedJan 2013
Steve in Beeliar

Steve in BeeliarPerth, WA

Awesome little beast

Bought this as a first car for my wife to learn to drive. Went for a 2015 auto 5 door so there will be room for the kids and all their gear. First thing I will change is to upgrade the speakers and add an amplifier to the sound system. Otherwise, it is a punchy little car... however I think cruise control should be a standard feature on all automatics now

Date PurchasedJuly 2018
Berber

BerberSydney

A great little beast

I thought such a small car will not get me around comfortably, but I was surprised that when you are in it, it is a beautiful and spacious little car. I carry 4 large people and myself and go up the coogee to Bondi hill with no issues.
Given the cheap price also, I am happy

Date PurchasedFeb 2013
pat6769

pat6769broughton village

reliable kia

I have owned two kia rios. They are the same running gear as the Hyundai i20. Hyundai is Kia's parent company. The Kia is very reliable and has never let me down. Just keep the servicing up to maintain the 7 year warranty with free roadside assist. I would not hesitate to buy another Kia.

BadgeSE
Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Review collected in partnership with Kia

Best little car

BadgeSLi
Engine Size1.6L
Date PurchasedMar 2013

Love my just right car

I love that I have 4 cylinder especially since I have heavy foot and get speeding tickets. It drives smooth and quite. I have a basic one the one with the window u have to manually hold on and roll up or down lol but still love her. Will get a kia optima as soon as I pay her half off

BadgeLX
Date PurchasedApr 2018
George Kow

George KowGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Love my little Kia Rio

After 11 years I finally got to buy a new car. Kia Rio came highly recommended by friend and it didn’t disappoint. The design is focused on making driving easy, the USB outlet is located at the front where I can easily reach it. The drive and handling is good and quiet. The only thing I don’t like is the fuel economy.

BadgeLS
Engine Size1.5L
Date PurchasedApr 2015
Zoe Woodbury

Zoe WoodburyCaboolture

My little Broom Broom

This car has done me so well, for so long. I purchased my car in 2012 and it is over 6 years old now and serving me well. My car is black, the only thing I would have done differently, is get it in a different colour. Black is harder to maintain the cleanliness.

Date PurchasedJan 2012
AmieJK

AmieJKSouth Australia

The best small car around

While my heart said Ford Focus, my head said Kia Rio, and my head won - thank goodness!

With an unbeatable 7 year transferable warranty, this car has the body of a small car, but an engine of one much larger. It has power, great ride stability and is extreme economical to run. It's spacious and easily seats 4 to 5 people, with a roomy boot as well.

So glad I chose this for my new small car, I love it.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Not Happy Camperasked

Rio

Hi my daughter purchased a new Kia Rio in October 2020 and the engine is Pinging and they can't seem to fix it. She is using the correct 91 fuel and not E10. We've been told by customer service that there are other RIO's doing it as well and they cant explain why, it just seems to be a fault. They just said to use 95 until they find a fix but this is against the manufacturers recommendations. Were worried about the long term engine damage that is being caused. Anyone else got the same problem?

Peter S

Pinging is most likely due to crappy fuel. Try using 91 instead of E10. The other option is that there is a sensor that is giving bad fuel/air ratios back to the computer "or" the computer has an issue.

Not Happy Camper

She has always used 91 and never used the crapy E10. They have tried 4 times now to fix it doing engine tests and fuel samples and don't seem to be able to. The customer service department let slip that there a number of other Rio's in the same model doing it as well and they cant explain why? They suggested we run it on 95 or 98 which is against the manufacturers recommendations until they geta fix?

Peter S

I'm getting like 10.5L per 100km which is not great. My Ford Escape uses 10L per 100km and it has twice the horsepower (turbo) and is 500kg heavier....if you only have had it for a short time you could try another dealer and then go to the ACCC.

Robyn

Robynasked

Rio

I have a problem when braking the car creaks it only happens after the car warms up. Coukd it be worn rotors?

Mikeyg

Mikeygasked

YB S Automatic (2016-2021)

Has anyone had dash vibration noise, I have two Kia Rios 2016 & 2019 models both have dash vibrations.

Compare all 10 Kia Rio
CategoryCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $23,090$16,990$19,090$17,790
Engine3 Cylinder 1.0L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L
Max Power88kW @ 6300rpm74kW @ 6000rpm74kW @ 6000rpm74kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque172Nm @ 1500-4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth Korea
Manufacturer Warranty7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)
Release dateJan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016