See the Best Large / 7 Seater SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Maz

MazPerth, WA

Ongoing limp mode problems

Purchased in January 2013 at Kia Dealers.

BoughtNew
Year2012

HomeB

HomeBSydney

GPS Failed...

I've owned my Sorento My14 for about 5 years and it is now 'out of warranty'.

My GPS no longer works and the clearcoat off the rear spoiler has worn away.

Kia Service were not able to repair the GPS and told me it needed to be replaced at a cost of about $800!

I've asked them to lodge a replace request with Kia under Australian Consumer Law guarantees.

Let's see what happens..

Features
Comfort
Not Happy

Not HappyMelbourne

Beautiful Car...until warranty period runs out.

Date PurchasedJan 2013

Sam B

Sam B

Great car for the family

Bought this car as we now have 3 kids, fits all the babyseats in and has all the space needed. Great car for the price, has a lot of pick up for an SUV and all the features we need. Hasn't missed a beat since we got it. Highly recommend

Date PurchasedMay 2016

bt1531951

bt1531951NSW, 2731

Wow better than expected

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Sam

SamPort Macquarie

Total lemon and bad customer service

I have a 2013 Kia Sorento sli, it was only 5 months out of warranty, always serviced and never taken off road and the diff and drive shaft completely broke on me. I have been quoted $9,500 by 2 mechanics to fix it. I called Kia and they were very short with me and basically said not their problem. I will never buy Kia again.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

rooster

rooster

2013 Kia Sorento SLI 2.2 diesel

Recently purchased Kia Sorento 2.2L SLI. Very good fuel economy using around 7.4-8.0l per 100km!
Has good power for a diesel 145kw @ 3800rpm and 436nm @ 1800-2500rpm making it a good balance of power & torque. long distance driving is comfortable and cabin noise is low with just a little bit of wind noise which i presume is coming from the large side mirrors.Foot operated hand brake is not that good in my opinion, but all the other features are good.'Auto Expert John Cadogan" rates the Sorento highly. Will report back if i have any issues.

Have recently turned over 100,000km, {April 2019} no issues what so ever. Very happy with the Sorento!

Purchased in July 2017.

Features
Comfort
Daniel

DanielGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Good workhorse, deisel and low maintenance costs, good fuel exonomy

Bought this car Mrs in 2010. Very Spacious, reliable, economical, 5 star safety rating, 7 seater. We have upgraded to the new version but I admit that Korean cars are as good as Japanese cars without the heavy price tag. This car has done many kilometres in all sorts of weather,. Road conditions and has never had an issue. Oil change and Oil filter every $15,000 with ever an engine light coming on. What can I say. Kia is great value for money.

BadgeSi
Date PurchasedOct 2010

Problems with Sorento

nice car inside. as i bought this car as a demo 3000km have had heaps of problems over 5 years electrical harness replace within 2 years, gear box auto overhauled, front end stabilizers replaced both sides,Intercooler replaced, the latest problem 1 month out from end of warranty having difficulty starting car. have done 174000kl no off road driving. All fixed under Warranty great service at dealer ship

Date PurchasedJun 2012

Ashish Malhotra

Ashish MalhotraSydney, NSW

Sorento mmmmmmmmmm

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

mrsscollins

mrsscollinsSydney Surrounds, NSW

LOVED the Sorento ! esp for the warranty period ! BUT after warranty look out !!!

Date PurchasedDec 2012

opal88

opal88Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Love this car!! Makes driving enjoyable!

This car is perfect!! We were after a mid sized car that was smaller than our large 4x4, but bigger than a standard SUV. With 4 kids and a camper trailer to tow, this car is the perfect family car. Great size to park in the smallest spaces, rear view camera makes life easier, comfy travelling over long distances. The heated seats are fantastic on cold days!! It is so lovely to drive, I find I drive slower to enjoy it more! Cheap to run, looks great, very quiet and extremely reliable!! Heaps of comfort and style without the hefty price tag.... Will be buying another some day! So glad I read other people's reviews about other makes... I am one happy customer! Well worth a test drive to see for yourself!

whiskey

whiskey

Best value for money on the market

Handles like an SUV. Great mileage - 6.5l/100 on country with a full load. Has every extra. Saved thousands on similar alternatives that were available. 5 yr warranty is now 7 yr warranty. Can't pass this offer up. Only issue is finding Kia servicing. All the KIA service centres round Sydney CBD/Eastern suburbs no longer do servicing - only sales. Strange.

Tiptoes

TiptoesGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

What a ripper!

My wife has the Platinum Diesel pearl white. We fight over who drives. Brilliant fuel economy (under 7 l/100km on highway with ac), comfortable, safe. Plenty of power. Fits 3 kiddy seats across the back. Love it and will buy another when the time comes. Oh yeah, 7 years unlimited kilometre warranty plus fixed price servicing. This is cheap motoring that isn't "cheap". Thank you very much Blackburn Kia who are great.

PT18

PT18Melbourne

Platinum - Go for it!

Bought a demo Platinum XM few months back and simply loving it. It's got its platinum feel and the red built in lights catch anyone's eyes at night. Packed with all features you'd look for in a car: GPS, 10 speakers audio, panaromic sunroof, heated/vantilated seats and list goes on...fuel economy and power is very good for this 7 seater. The only couple of downside I find is, very firm seats and sometimes bumpy rides, but overall good value for money! And with 7 yrs warranty, you cannot go wrong!

joep7

joep7Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

2012 V6 Sli ....what a pleasure....hooked on Kia

Powerful V6 ...that is smooth and easy to drive and actually pretty good on fuel consumption.
Interior not as prestige as the latest model but still very nice...Plenty of room and very practical with 7 seat standard.
I have rung up 75,000 kms in 3 yrs and the car still feels and drives like new...amazing!
I would definitely recommend to family's who need reliable safe motoring at fantastic pricing.
The car has all the bells and whistles...leather,gps, Bluetooth etc...etc... bargain buying and still offers warranty inside of the 5 yr period.

Impressive Platinum

Love it every day

Ross D

Ross DSalisbury Heights

I just love my Kia Sorento

BadgeSi

Chris N

Chris Nasked

I have a 2011 Sorento 2.2crd KX2 and I keep hearing a rattle on start up when the car has been left for a while, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and a possible solution?

Many thanks

Hadi

Hadiasked

I have Kia Sorento 2010 turbo diesel does it need timing belt to be changed on 200.000 km?

Dan

Hi Hadi. I'm pretty sure they run a timing chain not belt.
See link below.
Cheers

ironmandreamer

ironmandreamerasked

Looking for feedback on the Kia Sorento XM with 2.2 Diesel Motor and automatic transmission; particularly vehicles used to tow.

How many kilometres has your vehicle done and have you encountered any problems that additional maintenance may have been able to prevent?

I have a 2014 with 60K on the clock and need to make sure I get 10 years and 200K of reliable motoring. I am concerned the service program covers the bare minimum. The vehicle was purchased new and is still under warranty.

Dan

Wouldn't recommend it for towing. They seem to have a very weak link between the transfer case and transmission. Ours chewed out the spline at around 100K km and we do very little towing. I have heard it is not uncommon on both the Sorento and Hyundai Sante Fe which has the same running gear.
KIA covered it under warranty but were very slow to act and only supplied the Dealer with parts to repair rather than a complete unit so repairs took some time.
Car runs fine now but we really lost confidence with both the vehicle and manufacturer. They are fine for city or soft country driving but nothing too hard. Will probably look at new Pajero or similar in the future. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Migs
Migs

I have to agree with Dan. My story is a bit disappointing at 150K on the clock. I thought I had an SUV for good value, until the timing chain snapped. Owned several diesel engine suv's and utes and this is the first time this has happened to me. New Sorentos seemed to go up in flames too...I saw SOME news reports already on some newer.

Get an answer from our members and Kia representatives

Kia Sorento XM Si
  • Discontinued

Kia Sorento XM Si (2009-2014)

4.3
Kia Sorento XM SLi
  • Discontinued

Kia Sorento XM SLi (2009-2014)

3.9
Kia Sorento XM Platinum
  • Discontinued

Kia Sorento XM Platinum (2009-2014)

4.5
Kia Sorento Xm SLi Global Circuit
  • Discontinued

Kia Sorento Xm SLi Global Circuit (2012)

Kia Sorento XM Platinum Global Circuit
  • Discontinued

Kia Sorento XM Platinum Global Circuit (2012)

CategoryLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVs
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors55555
Seats77777
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth Korea
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)
Release dateOct 2009Oct 2009Oct 2009Aug 2012Aug 2012
Discontinuation dateDec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2012Dec 2012
Replaced byKia Sorento UMKia Sorento UMKia Sorento UMKia Sorento UMKia Sorento UM
Compare all Kia Sorento