20Kia Sorento

Kia Sorento Questions & Answers (page 2)

Lesley Sullivan · Sorento

Purchased the 2015 Kia Sorento Platinum Diesel in June 2015. Since new we have encountered the following problem that the dealership can't find a solution to as yet.

The engine at approx 60kph and 80kph misfires/shunts/surges. It happens when you ease your foot off the accelerator and then gently increase the speed. It happens often when driving but is more prevalent when the engine is cold e.g. after sitting in the garage all night and then go out in the morning.

We initially thought it was the engine then changed our minds that it was the transmission. However, it happened again when my husband drove the car in manual when it was in 5th gear.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? If so would love to hear from you.

Hi Lesley,

Very strange, we have exactly the same issue. Same scenario. It happens one or twice a day so we thought that we would leave it till the 15000km service (we are now at 7500km).

I personally thought that it could be a fuel flow issue since it happens at very low engine load/fuel flow rate. Transmission would be my second guess.

I would like to stay in contact in case either of us get a fix. My email address is aallttuussvirus@gmail.com.au

Best regards,

Hi Ronel

Thanks so much for taking to the time to reply. We thought it was the transmission until it happened when my husband was driving it in manual - 5th gear. Thanks also for your e-mail address. I will e-mail you.

Sagar Rajpura
Sagar Rajpura

Hi Lesley,

Yes felt the same issue in the same manner you described. I had my 3000 kms check-up on Saturday and informed them about this. They took it for a test drive and found nothing but the service manager said they have re-programmed the engine an all. But I do feel the issue is still there.

I am in Sydney and would be great to keep in touch, just in case if/when things might get worse.

My email is

Sagrihomebiz@gmail.com

Hi Sagar

Thanks for responding and also for providing your e-mail. I will e-mail; you so you have my e-mail address as well. Must keep in touch re this issue.

John

Hi Lesley, I have just purchased a demo 2015 Platinum Sorrento and I am having the same problem and I was going to call the dealer on Monday. My email is john@epicseafoods.com, will let you know what they say.

Hi John

Thanks for posting. I'm surprised they didn't pick it up if it was demo vehicle. Be interested in what they have to say. Thanks for your e-mail address.

Slava Krimatat
Slava Krimatat

We have a 2013 Sorrento and have a similar issue, but it only ever occurs first thing in the morning. Pull out of the driveway and no response from the accelerator for about 5 seconds. I noticed that while this is happening the anti-skid brake lamp is flashing. I'm thinking that I take off too quick and the system hasn;t had time to fully boot yet. Once the lamp goes off, car is fine from there on.

HI Slava

Our issue is once the car is travelling at 60kph or 80kph. No issue on startup.

Zagetash
Zagetash

Hi I am looking at buying this model, has there been any progress on what the issue may be? Have your cars been fixed? And how have you found Kia's service. Thanks.

Hi Bob!

Yes, have had diesel vehicles previously but never had this issue before. Still love the Kia Sorento Platinum. This is the second one we have owned. Didn't have any problems with the first one and it was diesel.

Lesley Sullivan

I have just been talking to Kia Head Office in Sydney – 131542. They are at least 2 months behind in answering queries to their website and e-mails – not good PR!

The good news is that Kia is aware of this problem and have raised it with Kia in Korea. All testing has been done and they are now just waiting for on software update to be released. Once this is released it will be sent out to Kia dealerships.

As all the testing has been done they are expecting this software release to arrive soon.

I guess all we can do now is wait for this software to be received by the dealerships.

Lesley Sullivan

I am the original poster. Kia has a software fix for the problem detailed in the original post. We took the car in to the dealership on Monday 7/3/16 and to date the problem seems to be fixed.

Dave H1
Dave H1

Hi Lesley, we're about to purchase the new Sorento Platinum 2.2 CRDI, however we can't decide between Snow White Pearl and Sunset Red. I also love the two-tone leather option. I note that you have the Sunset Red model. What made you choose this colour? We currently have a 2013 Sorento SLi in Snow White Pearl, and it's a great colour but I think we need a change. Do you envisage any issues with re-sale with this colour?

Hi Dave

Our 2013 model was red (red red) and we loved it so wanted another red car. The Sunset Red (which is more like the colour of a good wine than red) is the only 'red' that they have. they other colours certainly didn't appeal. When we purchased our 2015 model we really didn't know what the colour would be like. The salesman said it was dark and it was hard to find the true colour on the website. When we took delivery I was surprised at the colour because it is not 'red'. However, we do love the colour and we are happy with it. We also love the two tone upholstery. Looks very smart and we get a lot of comments about it - good of course. Certainly don't envisage any issues wit re-sale because of the colour. A more interesting colour than white. Hope this elps you make up your mind. A change is as good as a holiday - so they say!

Kevbigy

The lock up point of the torque converter is set for euro conditions (most speed limits 50 km per hour). This causes a slight jerk when cold at around 60-65k. There is a remap for the transmison software that your dealer ought to be aware of. Mine was remaped the problem eradicated.

Lesley Sullivan

Thanks. All fixed now thanks.

smit010 · Sorento

I have been looking at buying Kia Sorento Platinum 2014. Family and friends advise against this and say if I want to spend close to $50k, why don't I go for more reliable options like the toyota kluger. I think that you don't get many features in the well known brands as you do in the sorento. I am really in a dilemma. Does kia really still have reliability issues? Build quality of the sorento seemed fine to me. In fact dare I say it felt superior to its sister company's Santa Fe.

BM
BM

We had no issues in the 4 years we had ours and would probably still have it if my sons legs werent getting so long and needed more leg-room for him in the back seat. As for build quality, it's my opinion that the Koreans now match and probabaly even have passed some of the Japanese in quality and technology. Look at the tired old diesel motors Mitsubishi are still using in the Challenger and Pajero! Even our Prado diesel engine is inferior to the Sorentos if you compare the specs. Don't get me started on why they dont do a diesel option for the Kluger either.

Even the bottom spec'd Sorento gets a lot of bells and whistles compared to the rest so I would have no hesitation in looking at a Sorento if it suited my needs again. You have two options, wait til Jan to look at the new model coming out ( it looks impressive) or get a great deal now on the current one that the salesmen will be keen to move out the door asap with the new year and the new ones around the corner. Bargain hard!

Pyropeter
Pyropeter

My platinum Sorento started off fine then all the issues started. I laugh when I see/hear the 7 year warranty. In my experience they will look for any reason NOT to correct the issue. My GPS/Computer played up from day 1. it took over 18th months a very supportive and assertive service manager to get it replaced. Front tail shaft issues, seal in sun roof. Roof took over 12 months and the same old story a parts supply issue. The latest is a crumbling seat. You heard right the foam is actually crumbling and falling onto the floor ( to be clean up each week by vacuum) but hey that's normal wear and tear, and of course not using the seat correctly.!! WT&^@ The bells and whistles are fine when they all work but soon as you have any trouble watch then run for cover when you mention warranty claim !

smit010

Thank you for sharing your experience. This is my dilemma exemplified! One positive review and one negative. I just hope there are no serious issues involving the engine/drive train which it shares with hyundai. Kia seemed to rank 5 in a US warranty claim survey with 17% of owners making a warranty claim (whether small or big). This is behind toyota at 11%. So still very commendable. Maybe my fears are unfounded.

2 Dogs

It's a good drive but lacks guts in towing or with 6 adults in the car. A number of small issues showed up for me and struggling to have them rectified with plenty of reasons why they exist. Classic is the car pulls to the left and I'm told by the service manager that is to compensate for road curvature and if they fix it the tyres will wear unevenly! I don't know how all other car brands manage to make them go straight!!! It's full of bells and whistles and I don't know if I'm being too picky but a number of them are not fantastic quality. I have the 2014 Platinum and got it to replace my G6E turbo as a towing vehicle. Knowing what I know now, I would have kept looking for a stronger towing vehicle with a 6 cylinder diesel and my boat's not too heavy at around 1 tonne. 70 out of 100.

Tom Fullery
Tom Fullery · Sorento

Hi this is a question for Scorpio MB - you mentioned the additional 3 years warranty and capped price serivcing. I haven;t come across that before. Can you tell me whether this is something that comes from Kia or is unique to your particular dealer?

Susan Sharpe
Susan Sharpe

Nothing in my review was said about capped servicing or extra warranty

Tom Fullery
Tom Fullery · Sorento

One of the reviewers mentioned a three year extension to the five year warranty. Does anyone know more about this please?

Grazier

An eight year warranty sounds to good to be true. I have not been advised of this or offered one. My vehicle continues to operate well, only real gripe is that the speedometer needle is hard to see. If I turn the display brightness up the numbers become too bright and distracting for night driving.

grazier

WMCK · Sorento

Has anyone had a problem with the drive shaft of the 2013 Kia Sorento?

leonard grams

No, I had no problem with the driveshaft

WMCK

Thanks Leonard Grams. It appears to he been the tail shaft was not fitted properly

tracey
tracey · Sorento

Looking at the Kia sorrento as it seems to have the towing capacity of 2800 compared to the Santa Fe & captiva which are only 2000. I need to be able to tow a double horse float but with only one horse weight roughly being 1500. I don't want a big 4WD for running around the city in.

Anyone towing in a Kia that knows if this would be ok?

Linton east

Hi Tracey, The sorento Turbo Diesel will tow up to 2000kg (Auto) and 2500kg (Manual) and still deliver exceptional fuel economy (I know ours does). Just check with KIA with regards to down weight on the ball because I can't remember if it was 120kg or if they upgraded to 150kg.

Peachy!

You need to have a "heavy duty" tow bar installed (not just the standard tow bar) at time of installation-costs more but worth it.. sorento is great combination of 4wd capability and urban style-we love ours!

leonard grams

Hi Tracey I agree with the previous answer(check with the dealer) I never done any towing with mine.You would need the proper hitch etc I think they already have a transmission cooler as standard.Len

Jeff
Jeff · Sorento

I'm looking at 7 - seater SUV's in the $37K to $40K range. Naturally we want the best car for that price range. The Captiva LX 7 has everything we like but doesn't seem to have a very good reputation. Is it really that bad and if so, what else for that price with leather, sat- nav etc?

Peachy!

The series 2 captiva have a much more reliable engine than the series 1 (oil leak problems) The leg and head room in the the 3rd row was best in the captiva but didn't like that there are no air vents there. The Captiva is certainly good value and there are heaps on the road so parts shouldn't be a problem in the future. We nearly brought one until we drove it and disliked the suspension and handling, then ended up spending an extra $10k to buy the Kia sorento platinum-was the Kia worth it? Time will tell, but it drove and handled so much better in comparison and we are loving it. Be aware of fuel economy-our sorento gets 7.8L/100 as an average (we do lots of country kms though), 2 captivas we looked at had average closer to 9-11L/100 for similar (diesel) However, if you are happy with the way the captiva handles, it is great value for what you get. Good luck with your decision-but try before you buy based on the car dynamics, not just the features on the brochure!

Mick

I had a Captiva and it was alright (series 1) no real problems apart from an extremely expensive shock absorber ($1,600). Now I have the Sorento Platinum (Kia) and would not trade it for the world. I have done 19,000klms so far and it is great. It has been great in the snow, I travel from the Central Coast to Perisher most weeks, and the diesel engine is very responsive. Oh... and the ffuel economy is much better. The only negatives so far; 1. The lack of an aftermarket tow bar as the original is shockingly expensive, and... 2. I can't put my camper top on the roof as the roof can not take much weight.

Linton east

G’day Jeff, we also went from the normal everyday family sedan to a 7 seater and finished up buying a 2012 Sorento Platinum Turbo Diesel. Test drove all the regulars like Mazda CX9, Kluger, Captiva and Territory and a couple of others. The Mazda, territory and Kluger were far too expensive (Between 8000K and 15000K) than the equivalent Sorento and the Captiva wasn't even on a par in the driving, power, handling and finish range. Noting that you want to spend up to $40,000 you will probably be able to get a brand new SI Sorento Diesel on the road for about $37,000 or probably a Demo SLI Sorento diesel with not that many KLM's on the clock. We bought our Platinum with 23,000 klm's as an ex KIA corporate car for $39,900 which was about $13,000 under new price, mate this car is by far superior than anything we test drove and I’d never have thought I’d say that about a KIA. Don't listen to the badge snobs and drive one the fuel economy and power alone will win you over.

Scorpio-MB
Scorpio-MB

Am thiking of buying it, thankyou for your answers and the question!

Linton east · Sorento

I have a 2012 Kia Sorento Platinum; it seems to be pulling to the left ever so slightly. I took it in to get a wheel alignment and the blokes stated that it is set up like that, they stated that they couldn't adjust the camber on them as they are factory set. Has anyone else had this problem?

Paul97

No pulling noted on mine perfect handling only one alignment on tyre change at 50k which was a surprise

Peachy!

Ours is great-no problems so far!

Linton east

Thanks, maybe it’s just me being picky. Other than that, what a fantastic SUV. Absolutely surpassing everything I expected, fantastic fuel economy and power to burn. Just got to work out a way to get my wife out of it so I can actually get behind the wheel.

John

Ive just purchased a Sorento Diesel...and mine pulls to left too, though the demo car I drove didn't pull at all. Took it back to the dealer and had alignment and tyre pressure checked. However its made no difference...The dealer says the cars are designed to pull to the left slightly for safety reasons. Sounds like a load a C#8p to me. Not happy!!

Grazier

All cars should pull slightly to the left because of the road camber. If you can get it on a flat surface on a freeway and take your hands off the wheel it should track true with no need to keep applying a correction. If it pulls under these conditions try another wheel aligner.

2 Dogs

Same issue on the 2014 platinum. They say is to adjust to the road curvature. I just think that's how they are made.

richie
richie · Sorento

Is the sorento a ture 4x4?

Peachy!

My understanding is it only engages 4wd only when road conditions require it...resulting in better fuel economy...you can flick a switch and have it in constant 4wd if you want to, but the fuel economy won't be as efficient.

Paul97

I have had mine on many different roads where 4 by 4 were ahead I didn't have to use the 4 wd lock and got up and out of monster hills

RLD
RLD · Sorento

Can you get a V6 with 4wd?

malc
malc

Kia/Hyundia have a V6 Petrol but I don't think its 4WD. Check on their website. The V6 petrol is cheaper than the 2.2 litre diesel, has more power power and is one of the quicker SUVs on the market. But fuel economy is not as good as the diesel, especially around town. I find the diesel has ample power and I preferred to buy the diesel.

Regards

jackthurlow
jackthurlow

The Sorento's range is kinda awkward. With the V6 you can only get Front Wheel Drive and 6spd Auto, with the 2.2 Diesel you can only get 4WD and 6spd Manual/Auto.

Linton east

Definately can't get 4WD with the V6, the Diesel is the way to go though with heaps of power to burn and the fuel economy to go with it!

Get an answer from our members and Kia representatives

Select a listing for your question
Kia Sorento