Kia Sportage QL GT-Line AWD, 2.0L Diesel, Automatic

Kia Sportage QL GT-Line AWD, 2.0L Diesel, Automatic (2017-2019)

Great car, excellent fuel economy, love it.

Thought I'd write a review after 2 years of ownership, as it provides a good overview rather than just after a couple of months. I purchased the Sportage Platinum diesel. It is great, one of the best cars I've owned (I'm 62 and have owned heaps of cars). It is easy to get in and out of, fits my golf clubs easily. Features are endless, love the cooled seats in summer. Haven't used the heated seats as we live in Queensland. I haven't had any issues with it, just a slow leak on a tyre which the auto sensor picked up, took it to dealer as I couldn't clear it and was fixed in 5 minutes. The service dept. try and recommend 6 mths services, but I just ignore that and get it service annually. When I want a bit of grunt off the lights, just put it into Sport mode and very few will beat it. Its economical on fuel (even if diesel is dearer) I get very good economy around town and about 6.5 on the highway. I had 5 adults and a boot load of gear in it yesterday and it gets along really well. I recommended it to 3 others at my golf club and they bought one and none have any regrets.

BadgeGT-Line
Date PurchasedOct 2016
DriveAWD

Great car with all the features

I am driving Gt line diesel model with with apple car and android play, sunroof leather seats, heated seats, you name it and this car is loaded with features. Beak assist, Exterior Mirrors - Heated, keyless entry Park Assist,Parking Distance Control Rear,Parking Distance Control Front all this with 7 year factory warranty and price tag of $45k.

BadgeGT
Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great car... buy one you won't regret it!

I had planned on buying a Mazda 6 but ended up in the Kia dealership. After a few weeks of research and spec comparisons I purchased a 2017 Kia Sportage in the GT-LINE Spec (Top model in NZ). I opted for the 2.0L Turbo Diesel which is a great engine. It has more than enough power and low end torque for everyday motoring and open road driving. The fuel economy is what I would expect from an engine and car this size at around 7-8L per 100KM. The AWD has proved useful in icy and muddy conditions and tyres provide a smooth quiet ride. Interior wise it feels like a more upmarket Audi setup with nice to touch buttons and surfaces. Plenty of storage and cupholders along with 2x charge points and a wireless charge pad for your smartphone. The leather seats are soft while offering good support on long trips. The heating/cooling function has to be one of the best features of the car. One area KIA did cheap out on was fitting LED bulbs to the Vanity Mirror lights. These are the old yellow bulb type and don't fit with the other LED lighting of the interior. Otherwise the interior space is comfortable and enjoyable. The safety features are good in the top spec with the Collision Warning System being the best. This should be standard on all cars I think. Rear seat passengers have plenty of leg room, head space and also reclining seats with middle arm rest and cup holders. The huge panoramic sunroof is my favourite feature with a tilt or open open even rear seat passengers can enjoy some open sunroof space.

Some bugs and fixes I have experienced to watch out for:
- Headunit freezing or no audio intermittently (Dealer replacing unit, said they are having some failures)
- I had engine hesitation and transmissions shudder intermittently (Dealer fixed with a software update, drives better then ever and holds gears better going up hills!)

Top 5 Likes:
1. Panoramic Opening Sunroof
2. Heated and Cooled Leather Seats
3. Collision warning System
4. LED Front Fog Lamps
5. 2.0L Diesel Engine

Top 5 Nit Picks:

1. Lack of Radar Cruise Control as a feature
2. Use of regular bulbs in the LED Spec'd interior (Vanity Mirror Lights)
3. Exclusion of the Park Assist Feature here in NZ
4. Headunit backlight is too bright for night driving
5. Plastic petrol cap door

BadgeGT-LINE
Date PurchasedJun 2017

My 22nd new car...Things have changed

Not a brand snob anymore...Being a formally very biased Holden, Ford, Toyota man all my life (HD Holden ute my first new car in 1965) I was given stick by my old mates 11 years ago (they remember I owned 6 Monaros!!) when I bought a Kia Cerato for the wife as a run about after all the kids had moved out and taken their cars...Then in 2012 one of the daughters bought the Cerato off of us, and to this day it is still going strong..only had a new battery and annual oil/filter changes (on its 4th set of tyres)...never broken down or had a call back notice ever....
We replaced that with an SLI Optima and after 130k we have just traded that for a small SUV.
We tested many sedans of many brands but finally decided on a small SUV (easier to get in and out of at our age!!)
..after testing nearly all of the available small SUVs (Including Mazda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Subaru etc) we kept coming back to a new Kia Sportage GT line (Grey interior), we took delivery of one only 4 weeks ago...It is a great car, they are getting better all the time. (Hyundai Tuscon was runner up, but was noisier on our coarse bitumen roads)
This is our 22 new car (a Land cruiser is our main vehicle for towing the caravan) and as I service our own vehicles in our workshop, without a doubt the Kias have been the most reliable cars we have ever owned (Yes even more than our Land cruisers..no crap, as I have had a few dramas with them over time), so don't worry about getting a hard time (What!! a Kia!!!) from your mates, if you want to have reliable, well built well equipped and hassle free motoring, you cannot go wrong with Kia... (Toyota don't give you 7 year warranty!)
Obviously some of the 1 star comments on this site are from people who have never owned one (not in the last 15 years anyway) or work for some other brand....I'm a retired farmer and work no more for anyone!!
Happy motoring guys..

BadgeKia Sortage GT Line
Date PurchasedJun 2017

Best value luxury SUV with 7yr warranty, European class without the high price

Styling like the Germans, but at a fraction of the cost. Has all "options" as standard, unlike the competition. Love the self parking, reversing camera and wireless phone charging. Android Auto and iOS CarPlay are both supported as well as USB charging ports front and back. I can play music off my phone or USB, with control via the 7" central LCD.

Ultra bright Bi-Xenon head lights and LED rear & driving/fog lights. Diesel economy provides up to 800km per tank and 400Nm torque means effortless pulling. I found the auto very smooth, having driven now 3,000km from new.

Inside the electrically adjustable seats are leather covered and have heating and forced ventilation - most welcome in Sydney's hot and humid climate, or going to the Snowy's ski-ing. Rear seats have individually rake adjustable backrests and plenty of leg room (I am over 6' and even with the front seat set for me, I can easily fit in the back too). LED interior lighting is plentiful and comes on automatically when switching off the engine or opening the doors. The roof is made of carbon fibre and has a huge opening sun roof as standard. In fact everything is "standard" on the GT-Line. The only extra that I specified was a tow bar to carry my bicycles.

Lockable, on-demand AWD provides grip in slippery condition, but this is not an off-roader, rather a "soft roader". Automatic Hill-hold is a welcome option, even in city driving when stopping at lights on an incline.

Instrumentation is clear and a digital speedo option can help keeping one's license.

The car drives sure footedly absorbing road irregularities, while still maintaining its composer and driver involvement. Having 7 years warranty provides confidence that the makers are behind their products.

My only gripe: The cruise control is not the "adaptive" kind.

BadgeGT-Line