Kia Sportage SL

Perfect car for a small family

Perfect car. bought the 2010 SL platinuim full option 3 yrs ago from used car garage. ac compressor replaced last year. Apart from that it has served us since 2016 to date. still going. always answers us each time we call on it. Now looking forward to a 7 seater bc of growing family. will dearly miss the sportage. i am looking forward to another Korean car like Hyundai santa fe.

Purchased in February 2016 for $17,500.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

A reliable & strong SUV

Over 50k done on this SUV and still running strong.
Diesel Fuel economy around 8l/100km mainly city driving.
Has a good acceleration curve, plenty of punch for highway overtaking.
Not one sign of a leak or problem with the car.

Cons:
Missed out on the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay on this years model.
No car lane monitoring in side windows for preimium model.
Paint seems to scratch easily.
Can't set North to top on Map.
Pretty limited audio and map settings for being a premium model.

Date PurchasedAug 2015
DriveAWD

Diesel in this is a winner. Reliable, honest vehicle.

Used for,
Family, Camping, Towing boat and trailer.

Pros'
Diesel is fairly quiet, very powerful / torque for it's size.
Tows a 1500kg boat with ease.
140,000 kms and runs perfect.
Good on fuel.
Comfortable on longer trips and doesn't hurt my back.
Honest vehicle, doesn't pretend, just does what it needs to well.
Zero DPF Issues. Perhaps it doesn't have one.

Neutral
Rear switch to turn on / off boot light would be nice.
Reverse camera at night could be better.

Cons
I'm fussy and frankly can't think of a con.

This car has been ultra reliable and taken some bumps along the way.
This can't be said for many newer vehicles.
Keep in mind this is a diesel version.

Date PurchasedJul 2012

Ok...

I loved my Sportage originally. Then a very loud sound started coming from the exhaust. Several mechanics have told me it’s safe but my car sounds like a loud Datsun! I’ve also had trouble with the brakes, the shift lock getting stuck, and now I’m pretty sure the CV joint is making a noise. Also the electrics are funny, the doors lock and unlock repeatedly sometimes

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Well designed and excellent value

This car presents as a premium quality vehicle and well above average for its price. Cabin comfort is very good and instrumentation is more than adequate. With rear view camera housed in the mirror and knobs on the radio (not press control) and comfortable seating with good upholstery - it has the attention to detail that you expect to find on a better than average car. The All Wheel Drive (AWD) feature provides excellent road holding. The driver's highway view is excellent due to the vehicle's higher positioning than i.e 'closer to the road' smaller family cars. As an SUV its overall presence on the road is excellent (not easily 'bullied' out of the way by large trucks or impatient road hogs).

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Fantastic motoring

Purchased this for my wife it is Sportage top of the range Platinum 2013 model Diesel. Has great responsive engine, smooth shifting auto, push button keyless start and keyless entry, auto wipers, auto headlights, heated seats, Satnav, phone connectivity, AWD, leather, Cruise, panoramic sun roofs. etc Good Highway fuel economy (approx 7l - 100klm). It is and feels a very well built car. it has some road noise but not too obtrusive, comfortable seats. This car had 161000ks on the clock and we have just done 3000ks it has no rattles or squeaks and drives like new. The only regret is the satnav I’m not sure if there are still updates available.

Purchased in July 2018.

Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

"KiA" to come out of the east and I'm so glad it did!

Ours is a White 2012 SLi 2 litre diesel 6 speed Auto AWD it's roomy and comfortable, Just eats up the highway at 100>110kph delivering 7 litres per 100 kilometres. Don't skimp on cheap oil ours gets fresh Penrite and filter every 10,000k's and not 20,000K's as the service manual requires
if you are looking for a 4WD (FOUR WHEEL DRIVE), the KIA will NOT do the job, Perfect if you want a modern comfortable "soft roader" . Totally competent on rough gravel and sandy tracks or slippery surfaces such as mud or snow, BUT the Subaru Forester eats it hands down "off" the road! I have been a Subaru devotee since my first '82 D.L. Wagon. We still own a '95 Liberty Heritage, which is now the dog to the beach mobile. Though I still like to come down the range in it, it handles so well, as does the KIA though the laws of nature cannot be defied especially centripetal force and gravity. The Sportage is a comfortable competent vehicle and light on the pocket to own and run, What's not to like about a sporty, tall blonde, with a curvy generous rear! :)

Date PurchasedJan 2013

Excellent experience

I purchased a 2013 SL sportage. I’ve never had any issues in the last 5 years. It’s an auto and finds the gears easily. It doesn’t chew the petrol either.
Services are reasonably priced.
All of that just makes it the most reliable and best car in the car industry.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Good drive

The one con I have is I do find the side mirrors slightly too big and at times they act like a blind spot.
Services are reasonably priced.

Date PurchasedJul 2013

Coming up to 4 years and 50,000klm and no problems

I have the Platinum series 2 Sportage, Litres per hundred Klms is around 7.3 cheap to run, I have towed a caravan 1600kg for a while this increased the Litres to 14. it's a great Vehicle and we have not had any major problems. we originally had the air con freezing this was fixed on the 1st service and that's all. it's comfortable and great to drive, it's quite on the road and has plenty of leg room all round. I have 1 little niggle the rear seating heating can easily be turned on and forgotten by the passengers. I am still on the same tyres that came with Sportage maybe another 20,000 ks to go. love the fixed price service on average around $400 a year. I would recommend Kia has come a long way.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Most reliable and featured car I’ve ever owned

Purchased a 2013 plate Series II Platinum AWD diesel in January 2014 brand new and only sold in early 2017 after about 60,000km. I did not have a single mechanical issue in all that time (engine, gearbox etc). In the first year the climate control was fixed as part of a known issue / recall campaign where the A/C would freeze up and stop working. I also had to replace the Satnav about 3 years in. The screen would freeze after acknowledging the safety disclaimer when entering SatNav on the menu. They replaced the entire stereo head unit under warranty, which meant I got a map update for free. None of the leather seats or interior showed any signs of wear after the end of the 5 years. The turbo diesel consistently gave me 8.0 to 8.1 L/100km city driving. Combined with the Kia fixed price servicing this car was extremely cheap to run. The only thing it was missing was Apple CarPlay but the current model does have it.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Low running costs, comfortable, easy to drive and good looking car.

A good stable car with very low consumption and running costs. Not too fancy but comfortable. I can fit two bikes in in the back and pull a small trailer or camper.

It drives well and requires minimum maintenance every 12 months. Comes with a 7 years manufacturer warranty.
Don't buy one if you want power and acceleration, this is a commuter / city car.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Great car has everything

Great car we have the platinum so has two sunroofs only one opens would of been great if other one does but really don't need it, the kids like looking out the sunroof has sat Nav built in love the warmers in the front seats great in winter it's really big for seating room I think the trunk space is ok that's only thing I would of liked bigger but it's still good we go away every year and is big enough but now we have 2 kids we had to get a Roof rack for all our luggage. Love keyless entry just press button on door when u r near with the key fob which could b in ur bag,trolley etc as long as its close to car which is good when hands full of bags or kids. It Ja some type of cup holders and glovebox can be turned into a cool box for drinks when u put on air conditioner but we havnt used that as it's always full of other stuff. I love how you can boost the seat up in the drivers seat
It's a great car to drive it's not noisy and fuel economy is great to it handles great there has been a couple times in the rain I shouldn't of aqua planes but the car traction is excellent. Love the look of the interior it's been a great reliable car would definitely recommend

Date PurchasedAug 2013

Love Love Love.

Love my car!! Husband even likes to drive it (and he loves his Holden SSV redline V8) tows well, handles country driving very well. Running costs are minimum and has never had any issues. The turbo gives it a lot of punch when needed especially for freeway driving. Plenty of leg room front and back, have taken it on road trips and been very comfortable.

Date PurchasedMay 2013

Great car

We have had our sli my12 since nov2011 and done 114,000 ks. We have always looked after our cars, this one has not missed a beat. Very comfortable to drive, handles very well, even on dirt roads (not hardcore 4x4 needed dirt ones), spacious. No major issues at all after this long. If people genuinely look after their cars you get great value on then, only exception is if you buy a genuine lemon. We got 7 year warranty on ours when we bought it and have had no need for it as yet.
Like any car there are things we wish were different. Aircon in the back would be great. Being a diesel its also noisy but some are worse.
I respond to a comment i read on here about no assisted cruise control (not relevant to our car model) that is what brakes are for

Date PurchasedNov 2011

Worst car we've owned!

Kia Sportage Platinum Turbo Diesel 2011.
We sold a Ford Focus Sport 2.0 2011 to get the Kia. Very bad decision. The Ford beats the Kia in every way. The interior of the Kia is terrible. The front seats are wide, flat & hard. You slide across the seats when cornering. If you're colour blind you will have extreme difficulty reading the dash instrumentation on sunny days. The Bluetooth connectivity is very clumsy & difficult to use. The suspension is rock hard. Our baby was woken many times by the big thud when hitting bumps in the road. Our car had some kind of rear differential issue & made a grinding sound when cornering or accelerating. We took it back to Gateway Motors in Wollongong many times for the diff & a faulty air conditioner to fixed under warranty. Neither got fixed. Worst customer service you could get from a dealership. I will never deal with that company again.
The brakes are terrible. Cheap sounding stereo. Steering feels notchy. Not smooth at all. We had the door seals replaced under warranty & could still feel & hear the wind blowing through the doors. The windscreen cracked from the drivers side right across the middle of the screen directly through the drivers line of sight. We assumed it was due to the body flexing.
We owned that piece of garbage for 2 years & it was such a relief to finally get rid of it. Worst car ever!

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Great looks, good performance and excellent value for money

I purchased the 2011 model of the Kia Sportage. A great looking car, with an excellent driving experience. We purchased it brand new and has now done 82,000Kms, driven it across half of the country. It came with a 5 year warranty at the time of purchase.

I have the base edition and at times the 2.2 litre engine can feel a bit under powered given the size and weight of the vehicle. However, the seating, the fittings, the looks and the hassle free driving makes it a great car to own.

The overall experience has been great. Worth every dollar and great value for the money spent. Makes for a sporty looking SUV and a great family car. Everyone at home loves it.

Date PurchasedAug 2011

5 year 100,000km review

I have never kept a car for more than 2 years before buying my Sportage. This car keeps giving, still looks fantastic and never gives any trouble at all. It has no squeaks or rattles despite constant off road use on rutted dirt tracks, despite being a 2wd it walks all over my old Subaru Forrester AWD.
Hard driving delivers 500km from 44 Ltrs .... excellent economy.
Tows a trailer + 3 dirt bikes, 4 adults up front no problem.
Wouldn't mind a better stereo system, but can't complain as this is a basic model.
Very highly recommend.

Date PurchasedFeb 2012

My car or hers

We love the interior style, The dash is well laid out within easy reach.Seats are comfortable. The sleek sporty shape of the body is what attracted us to the car, and I just love the grille. The car handles well, steering is light and it has a great turning circle, better than our small sedan had. The 2.0 litre diesel turbo has power to spare and should tow our van easily. Fuel economy is good as long as you don't have a heavy foot. Long trip is where you will see the great fuel economy.
We just love it. Only had it for a short time but we all fell in love with it after the first drive. The only criticism I have is the very wide front pillars, and rear and side visibility will take a little getting used to after owning a sedan

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Terrible after sales care

I bought a Sportage in late 2014 and after a minor accident requiring some spare parts the process to repair it has been an absolute nightmare. It's now been nearly 9 months and it's still not sorted. Customer service from the dealership has been terrible and worse still, Kia Head Office are avoiding the problem by claiming that each dealership is independently owned and it's not their responsibility. My insurance company have never experienced such incompetence from any other manufacturer. I will never buy a Kia again. Beware.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Changed battery and now the engine lite has come on . Need assist to remove or will it disappear on its own please
did u change it properly , like the manual says?Or did you do it the way most people change a battery , like in the past ?It matters You have to follow the earthing instructions exactly and did you get a battery that Kia advises , not a shop, It matters The shops will tell you its the right battery when its not at all ..

So my sunroof has decided it doesn’t want to close .... I got it partially closed Help

I have a KIA Sportage 2010 premium. Drives great but recently had some weird problems. Engine light has come on a few times, first time the machine said it was the throttle cable, blew the module out with a compressor and light went out. A week later engine light on again, this time it said the car did not recognize the key. After starting and stopping a few times engine light went out. Then driving home one night the sunroof just opened and closed by itself, twice! As I said it is driving great but every now and then the engine light comes on saying one problem after another yet none of the problems really seem to be the issue, any advise?
Sorry, can't help The only time I had a car with erratic problems was a Ford XR 6, it was caused by a faulty battery. The XR6 was only 12 months old. One feature of my KIA is the battery is sealed and has a 2 year warranty. Find a specialist battery retailer to check it.

Sportage SL SiSportage SL Si PremiumSportage SL SLiSportage SL Platinum