Kia Sportage SL Platinum

Kia Sportage SL Platinum (2010-2015)

Perfect car for a small family

Perfect car. bought the 2010 SL platinuim full option 3 yrs ago from used car garage. ac compressor replaced last year. Apart from that it has served us since 2016 to date. still going. always answers us each time we call on it. Now looking forward to a 7 seater bc of growing family. will dearly miss the sportage. i am looking forward to another Korean car like Hyundai santa fe.

Purchased in February 2016 for $17,500.00.

BoughtUsed

A reliable & strong SUV

Over 50k done on this SUV and still running strong.
Diesel Fuel economy around 8l/100km mainly city driving.
Has a good acceleration curve, plenty of punch for highway overtaking.
Not one sign of a leak or problem with the car.

Cons:
Missed out on the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay on this years model.
No car lane monitoring in side windows for preimium model.
Paint seems to scratch easily.
Can't set North to top on Map.
Pretty limited audio and map settings for being a premium model.

Date PurchasedAug 2015
DriveAWD

Diesel in this is a winner. Reliable, honest vehicle.

Used for,
Family, Camping, Towing boat and trailer.

Pros'
Diesel is fairly quiet, very powerful / torque for it's size.
Tows a 1500kg boat with ease.
140,000 kms and runs perfect.
Good on fuel.
Comfortable on longer trips and doesn't hurt my back.
Honest vehicle, doesn't pretend, just does what it needs to well.
Zero DPF Issues. Perhaps it doesn't have one.

Neutral
Rear switch to turn on / off boot light would be nice.
Reverse camera at night could be better.

Cons
I'm fussy and frankly can't think of a con.

This car has been ultra reliable and taken some bumps along the way.
This can't be said for many newer vehicles.
Keep in mind this is a diesel version.

Date PurchasedJul 2012

Well designed and excellent value

This car presents as a premium quality vehicle and well above average for its price. Cabin comfort is very good and instrumentation is more than adequate. With rear view camera housed in the mirror and knobs on the radio (not press control) and comfortable seating with good upholstery - it has the attention to detail that you expect to find on a better than average car. The All Wheel Drive (AWD) feature provides excellent road holding. The driver's highway view is excellent due to the vehicle's higher positioning than i.e 'closer to the road' smaller family cars. As an SUV its overall presence on the road is excellent (not easily 'bullied' out of the way by large trucks or impatient road hogs).

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Fantastic motoring

Purchased this for my wife it is Sportage top of the range Platinum 2013 model Diesel. Has great responsive engine, smooth shifting auto, push button keyless start and keyless entry, auto wipers, auto headlights, heated seats, Satnav, phone connectivity, AWD, leather, Cruise, panoramic sun roofs. etc Good Highway fuel economy (approx 7l - 100klm). It is and feels a very well built car. it has some road noise but not too obtrusive, comfortable seats. This car had 161000ks on the clock and we have just done 3000ks it has no rattles or squeaks and drives like new. The only regret is the satnav I’m not sure if there are still updates available.

Purchased in July 2018.

BoughtUsed

Excellent experience

I purchased a 2013 SL sportage. I’ve never had any issues in the last 5 years. It’s an auto and finds the gears easily. It doesn’t chew the petrol either.
Services are reasonably priced.
All of that just makes it the most reliable and best car in the car industry.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Coming up to 4 years and 50,000klm and no problems

I have the Platinum series 2 Sportage, Litres per hundred Klms is around 7.3 cheap to run, I have towed a caravan 1600kg for a while this increased the Litres to 14. it's a great Vehicle and we have not had any major problems. we originally had the air con freezing this was fixed on the 1st service and that's all. it's comfortable and great to drive, it's quite on the road and has plenty of leg room all round. I have 1 little niggle the rear seating heating can easily be turned on and forgotten by the passengers. I am still on the same tyres that came with Sportage maybe another 20,000 ks to go. love the fixed price service on average around $400 a year. I would recommend Kia has come a long way.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Most reliable and featured car I’ve ever owned

Purchased a 2013 plate Series II Platinum AWD diesel in January 2014 brand new and only sold in early 2017 after about 60,000km. I did not have a single mechanical issue in all that time (engine, gearbox etc). In the first year the climate control was fixed as part of a known issue / recall campaign where the A/C would freeze up and stop working. I also had to replace the Satnav about 3 years in. The screen would freeze after acknowledging the safety disclaimer when entering SatNav on the menu. They replaced the entire stereo head unit under warranty, which meant I got a map update for free. None of the leather seats or interior showed any signs of wear after the end of the 5 years. The turbo diesel consistently gave me 8.0 to 8.1 L/100km city driving. Combined with the Kia fixed price servicing this car was extremely cheap to run. The only thing it was missing was Apple CarPlay but the current model does have it.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Great car has everything

Great car we have the platinum so has two sunroofs only one opens would of been great if other one does but really don't need it, the kids like looking out the sunroof has sat Nav built in love the warmers in the front seats great in winter it's really big for seating room I think the trunk space is ok that's only thing I would of liked bigger but it's still good we go away every year and is big enough but now we have 2 kids we had to get a Roof rack for all our luggage. Love keyless entry just press button on door when u r near with the key fob which could b in ur bag,trolley etc as long as its close to car which is good when hands full of bags or kids. It Ja some type of cup holders and glovebox can be turned into a cool box for drinks when u put on air conditioner but we havnt used that as it's always full of other stuff. I love how you can boost the seat up in the drivers seat
It's a great car to drive it's not noisy and fuel economy is great to it handles great there has been a couple times in the rain I shouldn't of aqua planes but the car traction is excellent. Love the look of the interior it's been a great reliable car would definitely recommend

Date PurchasedAug 2013

Love Love Love.

Love my car!! Husband even likes to drive it (and he loves his Holden SSV redline V8) tows well, handles country driving very well. Running costs are minimum and has never had any issues. The turbo gives it a lot of punch when needed especially for freeway driving. Plenty of leg room front and back, have taken it on road trips and been very comfortable.

Date PurchasedMay 2013

Worst car we've owned!

Kia Sportage Platinum Turbo Diesel 2011.
We sold a Ford Focus Sport 2.0 2011 to get the Kia. Very bad decision. The Ford beats the Kia in every way. The interior of the Kia is terrible. The front seats are wide, flat & hard. You slide across the seats when cornering. If you're colour blind you will have extreme difficulty reading the dash instrumentation on sunny days. The Bluetooth connectivity is very clumsy & difficult to use. The suspension is rock hard. Our baby was woken many times by the big thud when hitting bumps in the road. Our car had some kind of rear differential issue & made a grinding sound when cornering or accelerating. We took it back to Gateway Motors in Wollongong many times for the diff & a faulty air conditioner to fixed under warranty. Neither got fixed. Worst customer service you could get from a dealership. I will never deal with that company again.
The brakes are terrible. Cheap sounding stereo. Steering feels notchy. Not smooth at all. We had the door seals replaced under warranty & could still feel & hear the wind blowing through the doors. The windscreen cracked from the drivers side right across the middle of the screen directly through the drivers line of sight. We assumed it was due to the body flexing.
We owned that piece of garbage for 2 years & it was such a relief to finally get rid of it. Worst car ever!

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Terrible after sales care

I bought a Sportage in late 2014 and after a minor accident requiring some spare parts the process to repair it has been an absolute nightmare. It's now been nearly 9 months and it's still not sorted. Customer service from the dealership has been terrible and worse still, Kia Head Office are avoiding the problem by claiming that each dealership is independently owned and it's not their responsibility. My insurance company have never experienced such incompetence from any other manufacturer. I will never buy a Kia again. Beware.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

3 years of use review

Platinum diesel =
We bought our car in June 2013 brand new. My wife is main driver. She's done about 40000 km with it. We still love the car and it's performance. We had a small issue with the rear diff a while ago but kia decided to replace the whole diff under warranty! We could not be happier with the customer service. Another small problem that we are having at the moment is with the driver's window, it seems a bit loose and the rear lights were "peeling". The car is up to a service this month, let's see if they replace that under warranty.
We have a heavy right foot so city drive consumption is around 8.5/100.
Overall we are very happy with the car and with kia. I would definitely buy another one!

TransmissionAutomatic
The loose window was just a screw and the lights were replaced under warranty! :) :)

Better than the name suggests

I looked at all diesel auto suv's in this size, and with the platinum specs, and none stacked up as well. Strong motor, all features I wanted, tows my 4.5mt tinnie easily, fuel economy is good, comfortable, looks good, feels solid on the road and the seven year warranty sealed the deal. I'd heard people say that the interior was too plasticky but what car isn't. I never thought I'd buy a Kia but I'm glad I bought this car. Seriously, Kia have turned the corner with their quality. I believe car manufacturers should forget about three year warranties and back their products with a minimum of five year warranty. I'll upgrade this car in 3 or 4 years and the person who buys it will still have 3+ years of full factory warranty. That has to be good for resale value.

Purchased in January 2014.

Comfort

The best car I've ever owned !!!!.

I'm in my seventies and wanted something easy to get in & out of, it had to be economical, powerful, reliable, comfortable, easy to drive, easy to park. I wanted something that was easy on the eye. The Kia Sportage ticked all those boxes.....and then some. Best car I've owned.

TransmissionAutomatic

KIA Sportage great performing, economical vehicle.

I've owned my KIA Sportage Platinum for about 18 Months (30,000 Km) and couldn't be more impressed. It drives very well has loads of power to tow my 5.6 Quintrex Boat, fuel & gear. Fuel economy is unbelievable 7-8 round town and 6-7 on a trip. KIA comes equipped with just about every extra you can think of as standard (((not like most brands all cost extra))) Leather, Parking Sensors, Rear View Camera, Sat-Nav, Blue Tooth, Heated Seats F&B and more. There is plenty of leg room front and back, Capped Price Servicing and the best Warranty in Australia. My last 2 vehicles were Holden Statesman's very good car BUT Just in case you don't get the picture I LOVE my KIA.

Truly excellent car

I bought my wife a new Sportage Platinum in 2012 (in Orange) and she has absolutely loved this car since the moment she got it.In 55000kms of mainly rural driving, absolutely nothing went wrong, nothing came loose, nothing started rattling, it still felt like a brand new car, the only reason we traded it was on a new Hyundai Tuscon Highlander.(getting the hyundai only because she thinks it looks better than the new Kia, and it has cream leather interior)
In summary, our Kia Sportage Platinum with diesel has been the best car we have ever owned

TransmissionAutomatic

Fabulous car, EXCEPT for the radio beeping

Our 2015 Sportage is great and as our first AWD we feel a good choice. However, since new the radio continually beeps even when off, after 11 weeks Kia changed but after 7 weeks the problem is back. Very annoying, Kia are reviewing, again end of January. Frustrating.
Comfort and ride is good we just wish this distracting problem could be fixed, quickly rather than drag out over many months as it is very distracting. Would I buy another, yes, if they resolve this issue permanently.

Fantastic! But could be more

Had KIA Sportages my whole life, about 6 of them. In 2012 got a Toyota Kluger which was a fanatic car. That gets 5 stars easily.

I then decided to get the new KIA Sportage 2013 model. Platinum too, Car looks amazing, affordable, absolutely fantastic build quality.

Cons:
Could have a little more tech features
Some materials in the cabin are cheap feeling

When I tell people I have a KIA they think of the old KIA brand (which was horrible) and laugh at me!

TransmissionAutomatic

Value package that sure to impress!

KIA Sportage series 2. Great to drive seating comfortable and good handling, steering slightly heavier than the ix35 but still great. Easy to use controls and audio, bluetooth on steering wheel, Economy good and although not a power house it does the job well with good gear ratios when needed. Did i mention 7year warranty, and parts cheap such as tail lights etc on world market. Needed a Cargo cover bling, Kia dealer price $1400 checked ebay new from HK $103 delivered, brilliant and looks great. No problem towing and engine seems consistent. Leather seats, moon roof, 19" wheels, sat nav, roof rails, push button start, AWD all the right stuff at affordable price. Very happy and in sunny Perth the sunroof is open and the road is long:)